Feature running time: 103 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French Dolby Stereo
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Robert Duvall, Bill Murray, Sissy Spacek, Lucas Black, Bill Cobbs, Gerald McRaney
Directed by: Aaron Schneider
Music by: Jan A.P. Kaczmarek
Written by: Chris Provenzano & C. Gaby Mitchell
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 22, 2011

"A true tall tale"

Film Synopsis:

Academy Award® winner Robert Duvall is Felix Bush, the “Hermit of Caleb County,” a man so haunted by his secrets that he has lived in quiet desolation in the Tennessee backwoods for over 40 years. Realizing that he is near his own mortality, Bush decides to have a “living funeral party,” inviting people to tell their stories about him. Enlisting the help of Frank Quinn (Bill Murray) and Buddy Robinson (Lucas Black), Bush goes through a process of self-discovery, allowing him to deal with his past secrets, including ones involving old flame Mattie (Sissy Spacek).

My Take:

After being bombarded (not really but it seemed like it) by the trailer for Get low on a number of Sony titles I was glad when it showed up for review. Based on actual events this film makes for an interesting character study. It is a period film that revolves around Felix Bush, a reclusive hermit, living in the south during the 1940’s. There are stories told throughout the community of terrible things that Felix has done to trespassers and locals who have crossed his path but none have ever proven to be anything more than rumor. He is a loner that has lived in self imposed exile until now. After forty years Felix emerges with the rather unorthodox idea to throw himself a “living” funeral party. He enlists the aid of Frank Quinn, the local funeral director and his protégé Buddy, and comes up with an enticing way to attract locals to the party. He states his reasons for such an endeavor however it is clearly obvious that there is more to Felix Bush than meets the eye. As Buddy spends time with him he comes to see that what everyone thinks they know about Felix, they don’t, and that deep inside of him is a forty year old secret that he yearns to tell, but can’t.

Robert Duvall is one of my favorite actors. I don’t find him to be an especially diverse actor but what I appreciate most is his depth. He seems to own every character he portrays and Felix Bush is tailor made for him. This story revolves around Felix, who is an outwardly surly old man, but a closer examination reveals a troubled soul suffering from deep feelings of remorse. Now in the twilight of his life he has decided it is time to get low and seek redemption for past deeds.

This is a rewarding film that has its share of tender moments and levity which go hand in hand with its foreboding sense of melancholy. The narrative is enriched by the engaging performances of Bill Murray, Lucas Black, Bill Cobbs and Sissy Spacek with the key element being Duvall’s sparkling and typically credible turn in the lead role. The film plays out with sincere earnest as it moves into the third act drawing closer to the living funeral party and revelation. When the handwriting on the wall becomes apparent we can’t help but hope that redemption and forgiveness play a part. My fears of a histrionic finale were assuaged by a masterful final moment by Duvall. I thoroughly enjoyed Get low and while I applaud the individual performance of Robert Duvall its success as a creative work is most definitely a group effort that includes the entire cast as well as the filmmakers. Bravo!.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some thematic material and brief violent content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Get low comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

This is a great looking video presentation that has a clean, filmic appearance that falls just shy of the definitive delineation offered by the best high definition available on Blu-ray Disc. Images onscreen exhibit plenty of fine rendering and crisp definition that on occasion rises to higher levels especially during close ups which can be very revealing. Long range shots appear resolute with good dimensional depth and notable object detail. The beautiful geographic locations and vista views featured in the film look magnificent in high definition. Bright exterior segments are punchy with crisp dynamic whites and appreciable texture. Colors aren’t overly engaging as the palette is limited to sepia tones and drab secondary hues that don’t offer much to catch the eye. Rendering is excellent though and the balance is kept in proper focus which mates well with the films overall visual perspective. Fleshtones are tonally divergent and appear lifelike in depiction. Blacks are rich/dynamic and shadow detail is quite good which reveals plenty of visible delineation in dark backgrounds and low lighting. I didn’t detect any deleterious artifacts or other video related anomalies.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio mix handles this predominantly front oriented soundtrack with uncompromising competence. While the bulk of the audio is reproduced by the front three channels the surrounds are used effectively to produce a rear sound field rich in immersive ambience. This isn’t an active soundtrack as dialogue and music play more of a central role but there are moments that require use of the entire surround platform for effect. When things kick in this mix has no trouble flexing its dynamic muscle or creating a natural and immersive listening environment. Clarity and detail are exemplary which reveal lots of subtle nuance in the recording. Vocal reproduction is crystalline with discernible intonation and descriptive character. Jan A.P. Kaczmarek’s beautifully crafted music films the room and sounds incredibly smooth, airy and pleasing.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, director Aaron Schneider and producer Dean Zanuck

• (HD) The Deep South: Buried secrets – 7 minute making of featurette

• (HD) Getting low: Getting into character – 9 minute featurette

• (HD) A screenwriter’s point of view – 5 minute featurette

• (HD) Cast and crew Q&A: At the Tribeca Film Festival – 9 minutes

• (HD) On the Red Carpet – 4 minutes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=201986&d=1297775322

Final Thoughts:

Get low is a rewarding period drama that features a standout performance by Robert Duvall but owes its success as a film to the total sum of its parts which includes a wonderful cast, apt direction and gorgeous cinematography. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring beautifully rendered high definition video, uncompromising lossless sound and an above average assortment of bonus supplements that provide a glimpse behind the scenes supported by insights from the cast/crew. This film is worthy of your time and comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Thanks Ralph!

This is one I have been wanting to see...glad you recommend it!
post #3 of 19 Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Ralph,

Looking forward to this one. At least one portion of this (re-living one's past) reminds me of another very good Duvall move >> Second Hand Lions!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #4 of 19 Old 02-15-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Have been looking forward to this one .. glad you liked it, Ralph ..

I'd like to see Duvall and Hal Holbrook in a film together ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5 of 19 Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I will give this a spin......The King does it again !
post #6 of 19 Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I could have swore Get Low was being released this week. Thats what it said in my Blockbuster queue and a few other sites I go to had it listed as 2/15 as well. Going to have to wait a week for this one.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You have reinforced many other reviews and I will have to blind buy. As a big fan of Duvall, this looks outstanding!
post #8 of 19 Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
great review Ralph ,
I can't wait to see it .
Thanx

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #9 of 19 Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Any fiim with that case would have to have something going for it. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #10 of 19 Old 02-22-2011, 05:23 PM

Liked: 10
robert duvall? bill murray? sold.

Picked it up today and will be watching tonight.
post #11 of 19 Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Ralph, your review was spot on. Short of perfect, but a great story with an outstanding cast. I've read that Robert Duvall doesn't prepare or immerse himself in a role the way some actors do, but rather looks at it as his job...and he does his job! A tailor-fit role for him.

Picture was very good, and the audio was one of the best presentations for a dialogue-driven film I've ever heard. Every lip-smack, grunt and groan from the old character can be discerned.

Also, I think Sony is one of the finer studios out there concerning their blu-rays. I actually found myself counting the "Sony Classics Pictures" labels among my collection and there are quite a few, all with stellar AV.

Thanks for the recommendation!
post #12 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by oland View Post

Ralph, your review was spot on. Short of perfect, but a great story with an outstanding cast. I've read that Robert Duvall doesn't prepare or immerse himself in a role the way some actors do, but rather looks at it as his job...and he does his job! A tailor-fit role for him.

Picture was very good, and the audio was one of the best presentations for a dialogue-driven film I've ever heard. Every lip-smack, grunt and groan from the old character can be discerned.

Also, I think Sony is one of the finer studios out there concerning their blu-rays. I actually found myself counting the "Sony Classics Pictures" labels among my collection and there are quite a few, all with stellar AV.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts oland and I am glad that you enjoyed this one too..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #13 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 257
This title is a perfect storm of script, casting and production values. Music, cinematography, and on and on. It doesn't get any better than this.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Decent film. I was disappointed in the climax. Worth a rental, not a 2nd viewing.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Ralph I totally agree with your review, stellar audio and video from Sony. It's nice to be able to listen to a movie and not have to reach for the volume button to hear what is being said.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-04-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kuenster View Post

Ralph I totally agree with your review, stellar audio and video from Sony. It's nice to be able to listen to a movie and not have to reach for the volume button to hear what is being said.

Greetings,

Thanks Al. Glad you enjoyed it..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #17 of 19 Old 06-07-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Fantastic review Ralph, I agree on all points. Thanks for reviewing this one.

FINALLY got this one through my Blockbuster Online account last week. The local stores didn’t carry it, and they had very limited copies online.

Two words: Fantastic writing. I loved this film from beginning to end (although I agree with some other comments that the ending (very final part of the film) was a little soft).

The cast was fantastic, and every role was very well acted as far as I’m concerned. DuVall was stellar, and it was fun to Sissy Spacek again.

I would recommend this to anyone, unless they were simply a diehard action or sci-fi fan.

This film deserved MUCH more press that it received. This is easily one of the top 5 films I’ve seen this year.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ, 4 out of 5, Film 4.5 out of 5.

Dan
post #18 of 19 Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

FINALLY got this one through my Blockbuster Online account last week. The local stores didn't carry it, and they had very limited copies online.

Two words: Fantastic writing. I loved this film from beginning to end (although I agree with some other comments that the ending (very final part of the film) was a little soft).

The cast was fantastic, and every role was very well acted as far as I'm concerned. DuVall was stellar, and it was fun to Sissy Spacek again.

I would recommend this to anyone, unless they were simply a diehard action or sci-fi fan.

This film deserved MUCH more press that it received. This is easily one of the top 5 films I've seen this year.

Dan

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing Dan. Glad you got around to watching this one and that it was worth it for you.

Regards

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #19 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

FINALLY got this one through my Blockbuster Online account last week. The local stores didn't carry it, and they had very limited copies online.

The cast was fantastic, and every role was very well acted as far as I'm concerned. DuVall was stellar, and it was fun to Sissy Spacek again.

This film deserved MUCH more press that it received. This is easily one of the top 5 films I've seen this year.

Dan

While I enjoy an eclectic film as much as anyone I thought a film 'loosely' based on a true story would have more of an emotional payoff. I agree with all of your points and Ralph's review but by the end I found it lacking somehow...but that's just me.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Get Low Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page