Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 98 minutes
Genre: Action/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese, traditional Chinese
Starring: Denzel Washington, Chris Pine, Rosario Dawson, Kevin Dunn, Ethan Suplee, T.J. Miller
Directed by: Tony Scott
Music by: Harry Gregson-Williams
Written by: Mark Bomback
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 15, 2011

"1 million tons of steel.100,000 lives at stake.100 minutes to impact"

Film Synopsis:

Hang on for the ride of your life as Oscar winner Denzel Washington* and Chris Pine (Star Trek) team up for the year's most electrifying action-thriller. A runaway train, transporting deadly toxic chemicals, is barreling down on Scranton, Pennsylvania and only two men can stop it: a veteran engineer (Washington), and a young conductor (Pine.) Thousands of lives hang in the balance as these ordinary heroes attempt to chase down one million tons of hurtling steel and prevent an epic disaster. Helmed by visionary director Tony Scott (Man On Fire), this story inspired by actual events delivers excitement and suspense that are...UNSTOPPABLE!

My Take:

If you have seen the trailer for Unstoppable you pretty much know what to expect. It is a dyed in the wool thriller that doesn't feature an intricate plot or deep characters but focuses on building suspense, interweaving its thrill based action and proper development of its antagonist which in this case is a runaway train with no hidden agenda. The plot includes some intermittent details on the personal lives of Frank (Washington) and Will (Pine) neither of which is substantive or effectively a part of the story. This isn't a problem since it's clear that with a 98 minute runtime the intent isn't to delve too deeply into the background on these characters but only to derive a serviceable connection so we can see what motivates them. No time is wasted as quick introductions are made and the train is off and running. The pacing works perfectly as the level of suspense rises along with the speed of the train.

The film's opening states that it is inspired by true events although I am not sure to what extent. Contrivances abound with stretches of eyebrow raising improbability but who cares? There are hair raising stunts (didn't see any obvious use of CGI), great cinematography, and well integrated thrills/action. The chemistry between Washington/Pine is believable and Dawson capably handles the strong female role. Tony Scott is a proven director who obviously knows his way around thrilling concepts and he makes this premise shine. It's funny but the inner workings of railroads and the coordination of the rail traffic isn't something I have ever given any thought to. Watching this film I can appreciate what must be involved and the expertise it requires. So, is Unstoppable a worthwhile addition to the genre? You bet it is. Its simple plot doesn't provide much of a platform for character emphasis or melodrama but the blistering pace and exciting thrills more than makeup for any perceived shortcomings in the development of the story. The result is a great popcorn flick that effectively entertains from beginning to end. You can't ask any more than that!

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of action and peril and some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 96

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 88

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Unstoppable comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

This film's source elements don't lend themselves to overly vibrant, high gloss video but I was very pleased with the results I saw here. Images tend to lean toward darker color schemes, and grittier textures that provided the look that the filmmakers were striving for. This was done to good effect in my opinion. Shadow delineation is quite good and revealing of subtle details within dark backgrounds and low lighting sequences which gave those scenes better visual depth. Dynamic contrast and strong black levels allowed scenes containing mixed content to appear punchy with rich, dark highlights. Detail was rendered with aplomb and exhibited crisp textures and definitive resolution that brought forth subtle nuance within the images onscreen. Colors were visually satisfying with splashes of vivid hues that stood out nicely against the film's predominantly dark tone. Grain was intact and appeared faithfully preserved.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack offered extended dynamic range, aurally stimulating surround sound and potent low frequency effects. The sound field was broad with definable clarity and high level detail that reproduced dialogue and sound effects with defining realism. The surround mix was aggressive at times and easily filled the room with deep, punctuated bass, and dazzling sound effects that revolved around the listening position. Panning effects were seamlessly integrated with excellent near field spacing and 360 degree envelopment. I was most impressed with the transference of the train's visceral power to the room. The various segments involving the speeding trains (s) utilized the entire system to dynamically charge the room, via engaging surround sound and bursts of powerful, palpably rich bass that sounded awesome. Turn this one up to full throttle and enjoy the ride.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) The fastest track: Unleashing Unstoppable - 29 minute making of featurette

• (HD) Derailed: Anatomy of a scene - 10 minute featurette

• (HD) Hanging off the train: Stunt work - 14 minute featurette

• (HD) On the rails with director and cast - 13 minutes with Tony Scott, Denzel Washington and Rosario Dawson

• Audio commentary with director Tony Scott

• Audio commentary - Tracking the story: Unstoppable script development with Tony Scott and screenwriter Mark Bomback

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• BD-Live: Live Extras - Exclusive feature Feeling the heat: Unstoppable pyrotechnics

• Pocket BLU - with Wi-Fi download option (Apple products)

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Unstoppable is a dyed in the wool genre film that is a little short story but engages with fast paced action, exciting thrills, and well executed stunts that result in a rewarding popcorn movie that entertains from beginning to end. It roars onto Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox featuring impressive high definition video and reference quality lossless sound that might just break your lease. The bonus supplements offer fans a decent look behind the scenes, includes interviews from the cast/crew, BD Live exclusive content, and a Digital Copy via the pocket Blu App or traditional PC download. This one is lots of fun and well worth the price of admission. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Ralph,

Thanks! This one is on my short list for this weekend.
And yes I read somewhere else on this forum that someone researched the "inspired by an actual event" claim, and indeed (although there is some exaggeration) this was based on an event that occured in Ohio a few years back.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #3 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched it last week and had to turn the bass down. I felt there was a bit too much throughout. It also felt alot like the movie "Speed". Will not return..
post #4 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Liked: 16
I just got this yesterday on blu ray,i'll be looking forward on watching this,thanks!,i'll turn the sub down before the movie. nice review.
post #5 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post
I just got this yesterday on blu ray,i'll be looking forward on watching this,thanks!,i'll turn the sub down before the movie. nice review.
Greetings,

If your system is properly calibrated there shouldn't be a need to turn down your subwoofer.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

The system is properly calibrated, but most of the movie is at a trainyard or with a running train. LFE effects throughout
post #7 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

The system is properly calibrated, but most of the movie is at a trainyard or with a running train. LFE effects throughout

Greetings,

Understood lou99. I wasn't implying that your system isn't properly calibrated. I don't recommend on the fly changes to bass levels but to each his own.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thx Ralph. This may be a blind buy for me.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #9 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

This movie is without a doubt a must see! When Denzel Washington and Tony Scott makes a movie its usually = Game ovah!!

Plot is pretty straight forward and the action is great. Definitely can't go wrong with this one.

Collect!

Cheers
post #10 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 516
I share Ralph's enthusiasm for Unstoppable. As Ralph noted, the audio is reference quality; and nobody working does a better job of putting exciting images on film than Tony Scott. The plot is thin, bordering on dumb, but the performances of its three stars, Denzel Washington, Chris Pine, and Rosario Dawson, all of whom are both talented and charismatic, kept me interested from beginning to end.

When I was practicing law, I represented railroad companies for 30 years. Unstoppable was a busman's, as it were, holiday for me, as I had spent my fair share of time in rail yards and on engines.

I did a little research and learned that the film is indeed based, albeit very broadly, on a 2001 incident involving a CSX train in Ohio. Apparently the CSX yard hostler who got off of the moving train to throw a switch and then couldn't get back on the engine he was operating was about as brain dead as he was portrayed to be in the movie. After that, though, the movie is mostly imagination, although the unmanned train was actually stopped by a following train coupling with it at a speed of 51 miles per hour. Thus, even the facts aren't too shabby in the excitement department.

Let me add a further word about the audio, particularly the LFE. The sound generated by a railroad train is, literally, rolling thunder. Everything on it, in it, and around it shakes. I noted as I watched the film that my viewing room seemed to be shaking. Unstoppable's sound editor, Mark P. Stoeckinger, had been nominated for the Best Sound Editing Oscar. If he wins, his victory will have been well deserved.

I highly recommend Unstoppable. I can't remember the last time I had as much fun watching a movie.
post #11 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 PM

I can certainly vouch for this movie. My wife and I saw it at the theater, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I told her "I'm definitely buying this when it comes out on Blu", and I'm so glad I did. Watched it last night, and it was just as much fun the 2nd time around. A must own.
post #12 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The end was very, very disappointing.
A/V really good.
post #13 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh's HT View Post

Wow, I've never quoted someone just to ask WTH, but dude, why would you post this? I haven't seen the movie and like many others, I like to read the reviews before I buy/rent. After reading everyone's reactions I was very interested in the film...now, I'll be keeping your post in the back of my mind throughout. At least put up a Spoiler Alert!

Josh

Iv not given the end away so whats your issue?
post #14 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Liked: 31
I will pick this up ...Thanks King P
post #15 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 09:10 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

Iv not given the end away so whats your issue?

I may have taken it out of context, but when you post just to say that, it will make me think throughout the film what your post stated. It gives me a pre conceived idea...I don't know, sorry for my post, I just wish I didn't read your post before seeing the movie.
post #16 of 78 Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Thanks Ralph for the incentive to pick this one up just placed the order !
post #17 of 78 Old 02-17-2011, 01:04 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Cannot wait to get this tomorrow night.

Frank
post #18 of 78 Old 02-17-2011, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Hey ralph, what did you think of the video transfer/quality? Did it seem grainy? Or perhaps my settings made it look that way?
post #19 of 78 Old 02-17-2011, 05:34 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:

I may have taken it out of context, but when you post just to say that, it will make me think throughout the film what your post stated. It gives me a pre conceived idea...I don't know, sorry for my post, I just wish I didn't read your post before seeing the movie.

Look at the bright side go in with low expectations you might enjoy like the rest have in this thread.

Frank
post #20 of 78 Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Will watch on Saturday with the wife. CAN'T WAIT!
post #21 of 78 Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 AM

This movie was more entertaining than I expected actually! Even though I've seen this type of storyline a hundred times over the years, this film managed to keep me engrossed throughout. That's partly due to the great acting...
post #22 of 78 Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post
Hey ralph, what did you think of the video transfer/quality? Did it seem grainy? Or perhaps my settings made it look that way?
Greetings,

Yes, the film grain was apparent but not intrusive in any way.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 78 Old 02-17-2011, 12:59 PM

Personally I thought there could have been a bit more LFE, particularly after watching Transformers 2 and Star Trek in recent days, I expected a good rocking, but was slightly disappointed.

So I agree with Ralph if your system is properly calibrated no need to turn down the LFE.
post #24 of 78 Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Yes, the film grain was apparent but not intrusive in any way.

Regards,

Ok thanks for your reply. Yes definitely wasn't a problem just curious if it might have been my settings. Thanks again
post #25 of 78 Old 02-17-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I missed this one at the theaters, so I will be watching over the weekend at home...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #26 of 78 Old 02-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Ralph review was dead on and the LEF is was drives this movie down the track. If you had the experience of being around a train moving at various speeds you appreciate the LEF. At low speeds a Train is very quiet and you would never know that it is upon you until it is to late, but at high speeds you still don't hear it but you feel it.
post #27 of 78 Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Liked: 31
I just picked up a copy...got it for $15.99, pm me I'll tell ya where in Virginia... I get all new releases at this price and love it.
post #28 of 78 Old 02-18-2011, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, I've never quoted someone just to ask WTH, but dude, why would you post this? I haven't seen the movie and like many others, I like to read the reviews before I buy/rent. After reading everyone's reactions I was very interested in the film...now, I'll be keeping your post in the back of my mind throughout. At least put up a Spoiler Alert!

Josh

That's their opinion.

If I posted my opinion that the ending was great, you may have been looking forward to that and be very disappointed if you didn't agree afterwards or at least wondering how I drew that conclusion. Same thing with the other way around.

Regardless either way with any opinion, I don't see how one draws a conclusion a spoiler needed to be included if nothing concrete in the movie was given away.
post #29 of 78 Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 AM

Hi ralph,yep it is. Just wanna play it safe. But i did watch the movie and i have to say is,it was great! and a happy ending I may even watch it twice.
post #30 of 78 Old 02-18-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Just the fact that Denzel is in it makes it a buy for me.
One of my favorite actors.
Thanks Ralph.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Unstoppable Blu Ray Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page