Studio and Year: DreamWorks - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 96 Minutes
Genre: Family/Animation

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, David Cross, Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill
Directed by: Tom McGrath
Music by: Hans Zimmer & Lorne Balfe
Written by: Alan Schoolcraft & Brent Simons
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 25, 2011

"Giving bad a good name"

Film Synopsis:

Packed with high-flying action and non-stop laughs, MEGAMIND puts a whole new hilarious twist on the superhero movie. Super villain Megamind's (Will Farrell) dreams have come true when he conquers the city's protector Metro Man (Brad Pitt) gaining control of Metro City. But when a new villain (Jonah Hill) is created and chaos runs rampant, the world's biggest "mind" and his comic sidekick Minion (David Cross) might actually save the day.

My Take:

This is a cute little animated superhero tale that borrows a bit from Superman lore. Megamind and Metro Man both come from distant worlds and arrive on earth simultaneously when they are just babies. Metro Man lives a privileged life growing up to become the vaunted hero of Metro City while Megamind is raised by inmates in the Metro City prison and consistently falls in Metro man's shadow. Deeming himself Metro Man's arch enemy Megamind has made a career of challenging Metro Man by threatening/attacking Metro City. Unfortunately for Megamind Metro Man proves to be his nemesis time and again, that is until the day he comes up with the ultimate weapon. His vision of conquering Metro Man comes to fruition but the outcome isn't at all what he expected. What good is a super villain without a superhero to trade punches with? Desperate, Megamind, with the assistance of his lifelong minion, Minion devises a plan to create a super powered hero to become his new foe. When the plan goes terribly awry Megamind finds himself in the enviable position of going from villain to hero as he soon becomes Metro City's only hope against a seemingly impenetrable new enemy.

I thoroughly enjoyed Megamind. I liked its perilous/comedic action, witty/blundering interplay and clich├ęd but apropos romantic diversion. The infusion of popular music was spot on as was the portrayal of the duality of Megamind's character. I will concede that it's not conceptually original or as emotively effecting as some of the more popular animated films I have reviewed of late (including DreamWorks How to train your dragon) however there is no denying that it's well rounded family entertainment that both children and adults can relate to. The cast does a marvelous job and imparts an endearing and likeable quality that perfectly suits their respective characters. Kudos to DreamWorks.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for action and some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 94

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373699

Megamind comes to Blu-ray Disc from DreamWorks featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 3 Mbps.

This is a beautiful albeit slightly disappointing high definition presentation from Dreamworks. The video quality can be visually arresting in its depiction of the film's animated subjects. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably dimensional. Fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture are clearly discernible. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame is excellent. Colors are richly saturated, vibrant and eye catching. Primaries are particularly vivid and exhibit visibly delineated stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Contrast is spot on as blacks are rich with deep highlights, whites and grays exhibit multi-layered depth and refined detail that give them excellent dimension. Unfortunately the image suffers from an inordinate amount of aliasing. It appears primarily on the surfaces of buildings but can occasionally be seen on objects in backgrounds and in the finely textured hair of the characters. I also tried this disc on my living room system which consists of a Toshiba Blu-ray player fed via HDMI at 1080p/24 through an Onkyo receiver to a Sharp 1080p LCD. The issue was present and a bit more pronounced than on my reference system so results may vary depending on your setup and perception/sensitivity. Allowing a disc to go out the door with video artifacts like this is inexcusable however I don't feel that it entirely negates this video presentation which otherwise looks terrific.

The lossless 7.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is an engaging one that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated so that sound effects seem to traverse the room. Surround activity is frequent and immersive as both directional and spatial information mixed to the rear channels weaves an enveloping pattern of sound. Dynamics are energetic and forceful which lends weight to the plethora of impact felt moments featured in the soundtrack. This is a fairly aggressive mix that makes regular use of the subwoofer to accentuate its extended dynamic range. Low frequency detail is authoritative, tight and on occasion prodigious as it frequently engages the room with tactile low level bass that is sure to get your attention. Dialogue is rendered with aplomb and sonic details are refined and clearly articulated regardless of their position within the sound field. This is a sophisticated surround mix that made for a fun, involving and demonstration level home theater experience.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Megamind: The button of Doom - 15 minute animated short featuring the original voice cast

• (HD) Exclusive Blu-ray Features:

1. The Animators corner - PiP Bonus view feature
    2. Trivia Track - Interactive pop-up trivia
    3. Comic creator - Interactive feature
    4. Behind the mind - Photo Gallery

• (HD) Meet the cast of Megamind - 9 minute featurette

• (HD) Deleted scene - 1 minute segment

• (HD) Inside Megamind's Lair - 7 minute featurette

• (HD) AnimatorMan - 2 minute feature

• (HD) You can draw Megamind - 13 minute instructional feature

• (HD) Mega Rap - 1 minute video consisting of scenes from the film

• (HD) The reign of Megamind - Interactive video comic book

• (HD) Spot the difference - Interactive game

• Filmmaker's commentary - Featuring director Tom McGrath and the creative minds behind the film

• Previews for 'Kung Fu Panda 2,' 'Rango,' and the 'Megamind' video game

• (HD) DreamWorks animation video jukebox - Featuring Shrek, Madagascar, How to train your dragon, and Kung Fu Panda

• Bonus DVD of Megamind

Final Thoughts:

Megamind is a well conceived and executed animated film that borrows a bit from Superman lore. It isn't conceptually original but I thoroughly enjoyed its perilous/comedic action, witty/blundering interplay and cleverly integrated popular music soundtrack. The cast imparts an endearing and likeable quality that perfectly suits their respective characters. The result is another winner from DreamWorks that makes for well rounded family entertainment. It comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring reference quality 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD sound, an abundance of fan friendly bonus supplements and strong high definition video quality despite the presence of some obvious jaggies/aliasing. Megamind is definitely worth checking out and while I feel this is a solid overall Blu-ray offering from Paramount/DreamWorks I have to recommend a rental prior to purchase especially for those who hold video quality at a premium.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Didn't get to see this one in the theaters and still on the fence about seeing it but after this review i might give it a spin. Kind of surprised this being an animated film only scored 89 (not that that's bad) when i believe majority of the other animated films averages a 90+.
post #3 of 77 Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Many reviewers are talking about the poor video quality. I think I'll wait until the 3D version comes out.
post #4 of 77 Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Since this is a straight digital transfer, wouldn't the video problems have to be inherent to the source or are they a just a result of poor compression? Maybe someone who saw it in the theater could confirm.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #5 of 77 Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This IS a defective product. It should not be released in this condition to the public. Shame on you Dreamworks!

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #6 of 77 Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Since this is a straight digital transfer, wouldn't the video problems have to be inherent to the source or are they a just a result of poor compression? Maybe someone who saw it in the theater could confirm.

Watched it theatrically (In 3D) and I found it to be an entertaining, funny and stupid all the same; and their is nothing wrong with that. It's really about good laughs and cultural references; worth watching if you like that.

Seeing the dim image in 3D and distracting 3D effects (I believe not to be 3D's purpose) didn't allow me to view the quality of the image. It looked fine, nothing worth complaining otherwise (I did notice some mild banding and aliasing on the minion's fur coat if I recall). Nothing really to chew at.

This movie is coming out sooner than most of Dreamworks movies. I recall it took about 6 months to release a few of their movies. This is the quickest amount of time to release it.
post #7 of 77 Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
It is extremely disappointing to hear about the aliasing. This is my third review I have read on Megamind and each review clearly states the aliasing issue. One reviewer went as far to mention that even his wife noticed the artifact. It seems to me that this could have been avoided with more careful attention during the mastering process. Ralph, do you think its possible that if Paramount spent more time that the aliasing could have been avoided?

I also wonder if its going to be present on the Blu-ray 3D, which as of right now seems to be a Samsung exclusive unfortunately. Any chance you are getting a Blu-ray 3D copy for review Ralph?
post #8 of 77 Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 89
first animated movie to not have flawless video quality...hopefully Dreamworks will issue a remaster in the future similar to Gladiator
post #9 of 77 Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
It is extremely disappointing to hear about the aliasing. This is my third review I have read on Megamind and each review clearly states the aliasing issue. One reviewer went as far to mention that even his wife noticed the artifact. It seems to me that this could have been avoided with more careful attention during the mastering process. Ralph, do you think its possible that if Paramount spent more time that the aliasing could have been avoided?

I also wonder if its going to be present on the Blu-ray 3D, which as of right now seems to be a Samsung exclusive unfortunately. Any chance you are getting a Blu-ray 3D copy for review Ralph?
Greetings,

Matt, it is hard to say regarding the aliasing issue. I didn't see this film in the theater so I don't know about it's presence on the master. I don't have access to the 3D version since it's a Samsung exclusive.

This isn't perfect but it's not not terrible either.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #10 of 77 Old 02-19-2011, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for answering Ralph. I guess we will have to take the good with the bad on this one. I have yet to see Megamind, but now I'm afraid I will be looking for the artifact. I will just enjoy it for what it is though.
post #11 of 77 Old 02-19-2011, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:

Thanks for answering Ralph. I guess we will have to take the good with the bad on this one. I have yet to see Megamind, but now I'm afraid I will be looking for the artifact. I will just enjoy it for what it is though.

Greetings,

Exactly..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #12 of 77 Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I have to get it regardless my kids have asked for it and they're excited about it.

Frank

post #13 of 77 Old 02-19-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Nice review Ralph. This is a tough one. I think you had more appreciation for this than I did. When we saw this theatrically, in 3d, I remember thinking how much better this might look in 2d on my home system AND that it reminded me of the stereotypical Dreamworks effort with celebrity voices, reliance on pop culture reference and a lack of characterization with heart. I actually enjoy pop culture references IF there is something else going on with the movie but I thought Monsters Vs Aliens and How To Train Your Dragon were light years better than this - theatrically. I thought maybe it was just me but my daughters, who constantly asked about MVA and HTTYD, yet we did not hear a peep from the girls about seeing MM again or when could they watch it at home. Still, we really enjoy the kids flics at home so I am hoping this incites enough passion to have some replay value.

Disappointing that the video is strangely off for this but great to hear the audio sounds like it will perform in the home environment - it was fairly tame at the theater. Hoping the 2nd time around I get more from this.

post #14 of 77 Old 02-21-2011, 05:20 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Nice review Ralph. This is a tough one. I think you had more appreciation for this than I did. When we saw this theatrically, in 3d, I remember thinking how much better this might look in 2d on my home system AND that it reminded me of the stereotypical Dreamworks effort with celebrity voices, reliance on pop culture reference and a lack of characterization with heart. I actually enjoy pop culture references IF there is something else going on with the movie but I thought Monsters Vs Aliens and How To Train Your Dragon were light years better than this - theatrically. I thought maybe it was just me but my daughters, who constantly asked about MVA and HTTYD, yet we did not hear a peep from the girls about seeing MM again or when could they watch it at home. Still, we really enjoy the kids flics at home so I am hoping this incites enough passion to have some replay value.

Disappointing that the video is strangely off for this but great to hear the audio sounds like it will perform in the home environment - it was fairly tame at the theater. Hoping the 2nd time around I get more from this.

Thanks GocaboNow for that I should be receiving my copy its good to know not to go into high expectations with this one.

Frank

post #15 of 77 Old 02-21-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

...One reviewer went as far to mention that even his wife noticed the artifact.

Wow, that bad??

I was surprised to see they are not releasing a 3D version. That's really disappointing because Megamind in 3D is one of my favorite 3D movies - pure 3D eye candy.

I read that it will be a Samsung exclusive. That sticks, but I do own a Samsung blu-ray player and plasma. So will I be able to get it somehow (and if so how?) or will they expect me to buy a new TV to get it?
post #16 of 77 Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Worst animated movie in a long time. I thought the surround sound presentation was pretty good. The movie itself sucked, IMO.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room

post #17 of 77 Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I read that it will be a Samsung exclusive. That sticks, but I do own a Samsung blu-ray player and plasma. So will I be able to get it somehow (and if so how?) or will they expect me to buy a new TV to get it?

ebay or trade....just like Avatar, Monster vs Aliens, HTTYD and all the other "exclusives".
post #18 of 77 Old 02-22-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Wow, that bad??

I was surprised to see they are not releasing a 3D version. That's really disappointing because Megamind in 3D is one of my favorite 3D movies - pure 3D eye candy.

I think a 3D version is being released, but its one of those exclusive deals where in order to get the disc you need to purchase a special Samsung 3D HDTV bundle.

edit: After watching this I was overall impressed with the video quality. I only really noticed the aliasing more in the first third of the film than anything. The worst was shown on buildings. For me personally, it wasn't a huge distraction that I thought it may have been.
post #19 of 77 Old 02-25-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Just picked my copy up this morning. This was a blind buy for me. Hopefully will watch it with the fam tonight. I was surprised to read about the subpar PQ (will see for myself tonight). After HTTYD I thought Dreamworks knew what they were doing.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #20 of 77 Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Just picked my copy up this morning. This was a blind buy for me. Hopefully will watch it with the fam tonight. I was surprised to read about the subpar PQ (will see for myself tonight). After HTTYD I thought Dreamworks knew what they were doing.

Same! Looking forward to read your review on it Waboman.

Frank

post #21 of 77 Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And Kung Fu Panda and Monsters Vs Aliens. This is on for us tomorrow night. Looking forward to hear your review as well Wabo.

post #22 of 77 Old 02-25-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Good luck! I think it will play better at home.

post #23 of 77 Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Good luck! I think it will play better at home.

I agree

Frank

post #24 of 77 Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I didn't notice any PQ issues, but then I wasn't looking for them. PQ was excellent but not reference quality. Didn't care much for the story but I think it has some good moments.
post #25 of 77 Old 02-25-2011, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, we just watched it. And The Button of Doom too!

Quote:

And Kung Fu Panda and Monsters Vs Aliens. This is on for us tomorrow night. Looking forward to hear your review as well Wabo.

I love Kung Fu Panda. Skadoosh!

The PQ is just fine. Not Pixar reference. But very good. Then again, my kids and I were enjoying the movie. Not looking for imperfections.

post #26 of 77 Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Well, we just watched it. And The Button of Doom too!

I love Kung Fu Panda. Skadoosh!

The PQ is just fine. Not Pixar reference. But very good. Then again, my kids and I were enjoying the movie. Not looking for imperfections.

What!! You actually watched the movie. No no your meant to sit there and look for imperfections Wabo. What's the world coming too

Frank

post #27 of 77 Old 02-26-2011, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What!! You actually watched the movie. No no your meant to sit there and look for imperfections Wabo. What's the world coming too
Lol. I know! What was I thinking?

Have you seen it yet, Franin?

post #28 of 77 Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Lol. I know! What was I thinking?

Have you seen it yet, Franin?
This week! Hopefully will receive it tomorrow. Kids are excited.

Frank

post #29 of 77 Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I didn't read any reviews until after I had watched it last night. I didn't notice any picture irregularities..I may have been to busy enjoying the movie. I thought the Dolby True HD Track was reference quality and one of the best I had heard. The tight bass was simply perfect...in particular the beginning observatory scene where Megamind and Metroman clash. This my new subwoofer demo scene.

I watched on a Netflix rental but after viewing it I'm going to purchase it.
post #30 of 77 Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 AM

I watched this over the weekend, having not read any reviews beforehand. Right from the beginning, something seemed off with the video quality. Then I started noticing the moire and jaggies, which I think are far more frequent than have been hinted at in most of the online reviews I've since seen. Very, very distracting.

My LG BD390 is connected via component output, so my first thought was that Dreamworks might have slipped in some ICT downsampling on this disc. I guess it's good that it was just a poorly mastered disc, but it's still frustrating. Megamind is, by a fairly wide margin, the worst-looking Blu-ray I've seen (although I've been lucky to miss some of the infamous stinkers like Gladiator). Please issue a recall, Dreamworks.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Megamind Blu Ray Single Disc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page