Feature running time: 98 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Billy Bob Thornton, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Carla Gugino, Maggie Grace, Moon Bloodgood, Tom Berenger
Directed by: George Tillman Jr.
Music by: Clint Mansell
Written by: Tony Gayton & Joe Gayton
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 1, 2011

"Justice is swift. Vengeance is Faster."

Film Synopsis:

After 10 years in prison, Driver (Dwayne Johnson) has focused on one thing – hunting down the people responsible for brutally murdering his brother. Now a free man with a terrifying purpose, he sets out to find and kill all those on his list. But on his heels are two men who will do anything to stop him – a veteran cop (Billy Bob Thornton) and a hitman (Oliver Jackson-Cohen) who finds his match in this worthy opponent. Now, the hunter is also the hunted.

My Take:

I like Dwayne Johnson and looked forward to his return to the action genre with the release of Faster. Reading the synopsis for this film one would think that it is a straight forward action flick with a revenge theme that calls for plenty of butt kicking. It certainly has its share of blood letting and gunplay however it gets bogged down with subplots and melodrama that not only divert focus but aren’t properly fleshed out. The central premise revolves around Johnson’s unnamed character that spends ten years in prison after getting pinched as part of a bank robbery team that included his brother. They were setup and robbed after the score by a group of men who murdered his brother and left him/them for dead. Upon his release from prison he has a plan in place to exact revenge of those responsible for killing his brother. In them meantime there are two smaller plots running simultaneously. One involving a hitman that is hired by one of the men being hunted down by Johnson (in the hopes ot killing him before he finds him) and the other around a burned out detective (Thornton) who becomes involved in the investigation of Johnson’s murderous rampage.

The action based elements are decent, and the vehicles/guns/stunts are equally fun and exciting however the diluted script places too much emphasis on the relationship/familial drama involving Thornton’s character, the snippets of Johnson’s painful past (more drama), and the obsessive disorders of the hitman. The good thing is that watered down or not there is enough substance to make this one worth watching. This is primarily due to the darkly charismatic performance by Dwayne Johnson in the lead and a decent turn by Oliver Jackson-Cohen as the sociopathic hitman. I generally like Billy Bob Thornton but felt that he added little to his character or the film. As a Carla Gugino fan I must protest at the skimpy and insignificant role she was given, what a waste. Also be careful not to blink or you’ll miss cameos by Tom Berenger, Mike Epps and Jennifer Carpenter. When all is said and done Faster makes for a fairly entertaining popcorn flick that is made better by a sterling presentation on Blu-ray.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, some drug use and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Faster comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.7 Mbps.

This video presentation has a filmic quality that doesn’t lend itself to bright, high gloss imagery, and the color palette isn’t a diverse which and sticks primarily to de-saturated neutral tones that render a cooler appearance that mates well with the subject matter. Flesh tones fit right in with the visual style of the video and offer little in the way of complexional variation. Contrast is spot on and black levels range from punchy to elevated which washes some scenes out. The film uses lots of low light interior and exterior scenes. Detail in backgrounds and staggered lighting is revealing of varying levels of delineation that can be scene dependent. Resolution is stable with appreciable fine rendering during close ups and less definitive long range visuals that offered two dimensional depth.

The is a rip roaring DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack that features crystal clear dialogue, powerful dynamics and a subtly aggressive and involving surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension and discrete directional sounds that created a realistic and occasionally immersive listening environment. This worked hand in hand with film’s music, and thematic elements to build tension and help drive (pun intended) the story. The growl of the Chevy Chevelle’s 8 cylinders and punch of the snub nose, bear killing, revolver carried by Dwayne Johnson hits hard and sounds awesome. Be sure to turn this one up when the action kicks in.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) 11 minute alternate ending with director‘s introduction

• (HD) 5 deleted scenes with director introduction

• (HD) Criminals and cops: The cast of Faster - 12 minute featurette

• (HD) Weapons and wheels: The guns, cars, and stunts of Faster - 12 minute featurette

• (HD) Animatics for four sequences

• Movie IQ

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=202679&d=1298313249

Final Thoughts:

Faster is an action based film that unsuccessfully merges genre lines but manages to satisfy nonetheless thanks to well executed stunts and the charisma and tough guy finesse of star Dwayne Johnson. It roars onto Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring finely tuned high definition video and reference quality DTS-HD Master sound. The above average compliment of bonus supplements includes several production featurettes, Movie IQ, a handful of deleted scenes and an 11 minute alternate ending that is worth checking out. This isn’t cinematic art but its great mindless entertainment that is easily worth the cost of a rental. Enjoy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Ralph!!
I am watching this tonight as I got a preview copy. Can`t wait.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Ralph, my co-worker was raving about this.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:38 PM

(But on his heals are two men who will do anything to stop him)

I am sure you meant "heels" and not heals!!

Great reviews as always Ralph, look forward to picking this one up.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 PM

Liked: 31
When you see a gun on the cover art...you know what your in for...Good job as always King P .
Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Can you smell what the ralph is cookin??
Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Definitley getting this one.

Frank
Old 02-23-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

To describe this movie in one word.......RAW!!

There was a certain scene where it made me go wtf?!? But then it kind of made sense. But the best part is the cars! Definitely a collect movie for me!

Cheers
Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Nice to see that Dwayne has moved away from that silly Disney stuff. I really liked him in The Rundown and this one looks like something I will want to own, even if the script is on the weak side. Thanks for the review , Ralph.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Tillman's attempt at Quentin Tarantino .. IMO .. good escapism, certainly .. but then again, I watched "Burlesque" before this one and was already half asleep from sheer boredom so my take is likely swayed ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Tillman's attempt at Quentin Tarantino .. IMO .. good escapism, certainly .. but then again, I watched "Burlesque" before this one and was already half asleep from sheer boredom so my take is likely swayed ..

My wife wants to watch Burlesque that bad hey?

Frank
Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I absolutely loved the audio for this movie. The cars and gunshots were amazing! One of the better soundtracks I have heard as of late.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Not that bad, lots of attractive women

R
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:

Maybe I'm too critical but the acting (if that's what you want to call it), was really, really bad .. I would have thought that at least Cher would have pulled it off .. she's an Oscar winner after all ..

There is plenty of good looking scantily dressed women and Christina Aguilera did a passable job for a first big role .. it was the veteran actors that were really disappointing IMO ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

March is full of madness for me as far as rentals go though I'm unsure how I'm going to get to all of them with bball upcoming. I have quite the list and this one is definitely on it. Maybe I can slip it in beforehand.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvanel View Post

Not that bad, lots of attractive women

R

Worth a rental I guess

Frank
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I absolutely loved the audio for this movie. The cars and gunshots were amazing! One of the better soundtracks I have heard as of late.

will be watching this tonight.

Frank
Old 03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
CIH USER

Watched it last night not bad at all. I tell you one thing though the Rock built as a tank I wouldn't be messing with him.

Frank
Old 03-05-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Watched it last night not bad at all. I tell you one thing though the Rock built as a tank I wouldn't be messing with him.
Yeah, he is a stud. Would like to see him in a real, physical, action role one of these days.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow

Yeah, he is a stud. Would like to see him in a real, physical, action role one of these days.
You got a point there wasn't much physical action going on. Still you think twice before having a go at him in a fight.

Frank
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Faster had the look of a spaghetti western to me. The references to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly were obvious throughout the movie. SQ and PQ excellent, the acting not so much.

R
Old 03-07-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I thought this was a perfect film. All the sub-plots worked for me, and I'm glad they changed the ending (although the original ending was well executed). The 'Hitman' was the most intriguing character in my view.

Nice to see the 'old' Rock back in action.

Art
Old 03-09-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Faster starts out fast! Get's faster!! then the Rock falters, the story dries up and and fizzles out with a cliche' ending.

The Rock has been better in these roles (e.g. The Rundown). Worth a rent but no more.

That said great PQ and great sound! I think Ralph's description of such was apt. The Rock's American Muscle car (Chevelle) just roars with power (makes my Porsche sound a bit anemic!). Great low end! The discrete effects are immense, immersive and a lot of fun! Makes my Porsche sound a bit anemic!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 03-28-2011, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Once again, King Ralph is dead on with his rating. I'm a big fan of the Rock and this movie was my favorite one of his since The RUndown. This is a no-nonsense, fast paced, muscle car drivin', bullet in the brain shootin', hitman stalkin' BADASS movie. I agree with the person who said the Hitman was the most interesting character. I loved the scene
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
where the hitman is having a telephonic therapy session, and then later in the film he's face to face with the Rock, the Rock looks him in the eyes and says, "you have issues" lol

Won't win any academy awards, of course, but it's a 90-minute revenge flick that will certainly hold your attention.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Once again, King Ralph is dead on with his rating. I'm a big fan of the Rock and this movie was my favorite one of his since The RUndown. This is a no-nonsense, fast paced, muscle car drivin', bullet in the brain shootin', hitman stalkin' BADASS movie. I agree with the person who said the Hitman was the most interesting character. I loved the scene
Spoiler  
where the hitman is having a telephonic therapy session, and then later in the film he's face to face with the Rock, the Rock looks him in the eyes and says, "you have issues" lol

Won't win any academy awards, of course, but it's a 90-minute revenge flick that will certainly hold your attention.

Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed it Summa!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed it Summa!

Regards,

Glad you liked it Ralph. I was the Re-Recording Mixer on it
mixing Dialog and Music. It was mixed at my company
www.thedubstage.com
It was a fun movie to mix with great clients!

Marti D. Humphrey CAS
Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post

Glad you liked it Ralph. I was the Re-Recording Mixer on it
mixing Dialog and Music. It was mixed at my company
www.thedubstage.com
It was a fun movie to mix with great clients!

Marti D. Humphrey CAS

Greetings,

Great job Marti and thanks for chiming in.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 04-06-2011, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I liked Faster the first time through, the second time was good too. Lots of good fun, No way the rock beats all those scary people without that informant.

Not a very good movie, like Aliens, but a nice short story made into a nice movie. Dwayne does these kinds of shows real good.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
we watched this the same night as 'the next 3 days'. we expected faster to be the weaker of the two films but it turned out the other way around. Had to speed watch the middle of 3 days, it dragged on sooooooooooo slowly. Faster was a pleasant surprise that I will watch again.
two thumbs up!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would from all the mediocre reviewers who seem to think it's their job to find something or everything perceivably wrong with a film and bash it without reserve, all but ignoring the positives or its entertainment value as a whole for the type of film, as if all movies should be compared to LOTRs, Titanic, or something.

That said, while my guest last night would disagree, I would have preferred to see the original ending recut into the film, along with most of the deleted scenes. Aside from the Chevelle magically reshaping itself after being flipped and the roof flattened, I thought the added poignancy made it feel even more like something Tarantino or Rodriquez would have done, even without Billy Bob getting any decent banter out of the script.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT

Tags
Faster Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Faster by PriceGrabber.com