Feature running time: 133 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Russell Crowe, Elizabeth Banks, Brian Dennehy, Liam Neeson, Olivia Wilde
Written & Directed by: Paul Haggis
Music by: Danny Elfman
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 8, 2011

"Lose who you are to save what you love"

Film Synopsis:

John (Crowe) and Lara (Banks) Brennan have the ideal family life until Lara is accused of a murder she says she didn’t commit. Lara is found guilty, and three years into her sentence John is finding it increasingly difficult to keep his family together. Upon the rejection of her final appeal, Lara becomes suicidal and John enlists the help of Damon Pennington (Neeson) to do the unthinkable – break his wife out of prison. Together the two develop an elaborate plot to save the woman that John loves and reunite his family, no matter the cost.

My Take:

What part of our lives is truly under our control? This question is posed in this thriller from writer/director Paul Haggis. The next three days is conceptually based on the 2008 French film “Pour Elle”. The plot revolves around an everyman named John Brennan whose life is thrown into turmoil when his wife Lara is suddenly arrested and convicted of murder. John spends three years raising their young son while fighting to appeal her case. When all hope is lost in the justice system John turns to the unjust and devises a plan to free Lara. His window of opportunity is small, the risks are many and the cost is high. But for a man who believes in and loves his wife there is little that can stand in his way. The question is can he do what needs to be done and still remain the same man afterward?

This film is part drama and part action thriller. The premise is fine but the plausibility factor gets in the way a bit too often. The primary characters in John and Lara are purposefully kept shallow in the beginning in order to elicit a more empathetic connection to them as the story develops. John sort of transmogrifies from a timid, loving, community college professor into a devious planner capable of acts of violence and desperation that presents a dark side of him that even his own wife doesn’t recognize. Early on little is divulged about the circumstance surrounding Lara’s arrest/case which leaves the question of her guilt or innocence looming. This is done for dramatic effect as a means to ponder whether John is going through all of this in order to free someone who is in fact a murderer. As John delves deeper into the execution of his plan the level of suspense rises along with the inherent dangers of such an undertaking. Over the years he has received emotional support from his mother but his strained relationship with his father (Brian Dennehy) leaves them unable to communicate. Ultimately he is in this alone which is where the film evolves into a character study based upon the human condition. There is a lot going on and the narrative gets bogged down in extraneous details that slow the pacing. Things pick up in the third act but the action descends deeply into the improbable while the psychological drama proves taxing.

I didn’t care for the pairing of Crowe/Banks. I never genuinely believed in their love which sullied the proceedings a bit. This is however where I appreciated the convoluted aspects of the script as it presented another side of John which allowed Crowe some room to work. I like Elizabeth Banks and other than her chemistry with Crowe had no problem with her performance. The finale didn’t hold any surprises. I didn’t feel the need for the tying of loose ends but Paul Haggis apparently felt otherwise by adding an incredulous segment. By that time I think that the question he answered was already pretty clear and its poor implementation didn’t make a lot of sense. At well over two hours this film is a little long in the tooth and isn’t as engrossing or taut a thriller as I’d hoped however it had its moments and held my interest throughout which says something. I understand that “Pour Elle” (the French film this borrows from), which stars Diane Krueger, is quite good. I like the concept and am curious to see how that film compares. I will have to give it a spin when time permits.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, drug material, language, some sexuality and thematic elements.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

The next three days comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate 4 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition video presentation from Lionsgate. Image depth during brighter sequences is appreciable from nearly every camera perspective. The exterior shots of Pittsburgh exhibit excellent delineation, and long range acuity. Objects within backgrounds have definable structure/texture which makes them appear lifelike and three dimensional. The video is crisp with natural looking, well balanced colors. Shadow detail is discerning which enhances depth during dark segments that contain limited light. Blacks are deep, dynamic and stable which adds punch to sequences containing both light and dark elements. Contrast is strong which delivers bright punchy whites and vivid primary colors. Fleshtones are warm, creamy and lifelike. Resolution during a few of the darkened sequences softens a bit but not to a point that I found to be problematic.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is a good one that makes excellent use of the entire system platform. It is lead by Danny Elfman’s effecting music score that sounds fantastic as it sets the tone that drives the story’s elements. This is a fairly active and occasionally dynamic surround mix that utilizes the subwoofer and rear channels to stimulate the senses and draw you into the film. This creates a believable and enveloping sound field that replicates the film’s various interior/exterior environments. Low frequency effects have substantial weight and presence that occasionally fill the room with deep, punctuated bass. The front and rear soundstages combine perfectly as sounds emanating from both during panning and dimensionally spaced sequences are seamless. Dialogue and sounds within the recording are highly detailed and clearly articulated throughout the course of the presentation. It sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• Filmmaker’s commentary

• (HD) The making of The next three days – 18 minute featurette

• (HD) The men of The next three days – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) True escapes for love – 7 minute documentary hosted by Jason Beghe

• (HD) 18 Deleted/Extended scenes

• Bonus DVD of The next three days

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Conceptually based upon the French film “Pour Elle” The next three days is a mildly entertaining albeit average thriller that would have benefited from better pacing and a less ornamented script. I suspect that genre fans will be more forgiving of its shortcomings but it falls below the standard set by the better films in its class. Its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate is a good one that features crisp high definition video, rewarding DTS-HD Master Audio sound, and a fair assortment of extras that include two production featurettes, filmmaker commentary, outtakes, and deleted/extended scenes. If you’re a fan this is worth picking up otherwise I would recommend a rental prior to purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Ralph. Thanks for the thoughtful review.

One of my personal favorites of my career so far.

And Elfman delivered a great score.
post #3 of 47 Old 02-23-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Greetings,

The pleasure was mine Marc. Well done!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #4 of 47 Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually liked this film when it first came out and thought it was great. Ending was somewhat kind of sad but not bad either. The ending was a clincher for me. Overall decent movie to collect.

Cheers
post #5 of 47 Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Spot on Ralph, i agree also with the end they should have just left it rather than try to tie ends..I enjoyed this hell of a lot more than 'Unstoppable'.
post #6 of 47 Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 PM

Thanks Ralph.
post #7 of 47 Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
This one looks good will definitely give this a go.

Frank

post #8 of 47 Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Well then I guess I will need to at least rent this one. I thought you did a really good job with Law Abiding Citizen and after I rented that one I ended up buying a copy for my collection. Looking forward to viewing it.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #9 of 47 Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Well,I like the genre and I'm a huge Russel Crowe fan so in my collection it goes.
post #10 of 47 Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for the review, I will check this out, now. Quick OT question, where do you guys get the cover art for the BD's. They would look great in mediabrowser. Thanks.

post #11 of 47 Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Thanks for the review, I will check this out, now. Quick OT question, where do you guys get the cover art for the BD's. They would look great in mediabrowser. Thanks.

Greetings,

We generally get them from the studio press websites which aren't open to everyone.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #12 of 47 Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

The blu ray ain't dropped yet has it?
post #13 of 47 Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Blu-Ray release Date: March 8, 2011 if that is you mean by drop.

And on another note from an earlier post, could we please use the spoiler tags for "happy/sad" endings?
IMO, that is too descriptive vs. using "didn't care for the ending" or "I liked the ending"
post #14 of 47 Old 02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

We generally get them from the studio press websites which aren't open to everyone.

Regards,
Thanks for the info, Ralph.

post #15 of 47 Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFVUE3
Blu-Ray release Date: March 8, 2011 if that is you mean by drop.

And on another note from an earlier post, could we please use the spoiler tags for "happy/sad" endings?
IMO, that is too descriptive vs. using "didn't care for the ending" or "I liked the ending"
Yep thats what I meant. Thanks
post #16 of 47 Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Lionsgate sure is starting to release a lot of titles with 7.1 surround. I am jealous as I only have 5.1, but an upgrade may be in the foreseeable future perhaps.
post #17 of 47 Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I found the French version w/ Diane Kruger quite believable and shorter. I'll put this one on the queue.

Quite sure that the US version has more action/chase scenes, considering 2x the budget.
post #18 of 47 Old 03-06-2011, 09:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Good movie! Too long in spots for a thriller, but excellent acting by Crowe and the others make it special for me. I feel more flashbacks as opposed to the prison scenes, where intimacy is discouraged by the guards, might have helped with the chemistry between Banks and Crowe. The audio mix is sublime. At home, I hear faint background sounds I didn't catch in the theater's surround system. The "documentry" feel comes from, I think, Hi-Def photography which is well handled in the Blu-Ray disc. The end is thrilling, and if it moved faster in the first acts, the movie might have been a hit. Give it a watch!
post #19 of 47 Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvid View Post

Good movie! Too long in spots for a thriller, but excellent acting by Crowe and the others make it special for me. I feel more flashbacks as opposed to the prison scenes, where intimacy is discouraged by the guards, might have helped with the chemistry between Banks and Crowe. The audio mix is sublime. At home, I hear faint background sounds I didn't catch in the theater's surround system. The "documentry" feel comes from, I think, Hi-Def photography which is well handled in the Blu-Ray disc. The end is thrilling, and if it moved faster in the first acts, the movie might have been a hit. Give it a watch!

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts capnvid!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #20 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Lionsgate sure is starting to release a lot of titles with 7.1 surround. I am jealous as I only have 5.1, but an upgrade may be in the foreseeable future perhaps.

Yea, I do have a 7.1 system and it is nice when you get one to decode. That said, my Netflix copy was encoded DTS 5.1 Master Audio! So what is that all about?
post #21 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes, this movie gets a little too close to `leave your brain at the doo popcorn flick' summerfare but the wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We actually lost several hours sleep over (not recommended on a work night!). This was easily Crowe's best performance since CInderella Man.

OH, and good job,FM!!
post #22 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstanko View Post

Yea, I do have a 7.1 system and it is nice when you get one to decode. That said, my Netflix copy was encoded DTS 5.1 Master Audio! So what is that all about?

I don't see how that is possible.. do you still have the disc?
post #23 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't see how that is possible.. do you still have the disc?

No, it has been returned to Netflix. As additional information, the BD player is the Panasonic BD-55 that I have had for years. Previously, I used it to decode, but now with the addition of my new Denon 4310ci, I have changed the Panny to bit-stream the data to the Denon.

The Denon saw the data as a DTS Master Audio (panel light and LCD display), and decoded it as 5.1 (channel graphic lights). I figured that some how I had missed on my setup. Checking the choices as the movie played, the only other choice was a French 5.1. After the movie, I went back to the Main Menu of the disc, chose setup, audio, and low and behold, DTS 5.1 was the only English choice.

I called Netflix Customer Assistance this morning and perky young girl talked it over with a tech supervisor who said that Liongate has options when suppling Netflix's orders. But since they advertised 7.1 on their website description and did not deliver it, I get an additional "free" blu-ray rental.
post #24 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Just checked a Netflix copy and confirmed it has 5.1 audio only. DTS-MA 5.1 and French DD 5.1.
post #25 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Just checked a Netflix copy and confirmed it has 5.1 audio only. DTS-MA 5.1 and French DD 5.1.

I really appreciate you checking that for me. Now I do not have to worry about system config problems. BTW, you too can get that extra disc, and even more important, place a complaint to Netflix that we who pay this premium price to rent their blu-rays, waiting in lines that begin with an extra 28 days, certainly deserve to get the consumers version of the disc, rather than some cheaper edition.
post #26 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Looking into it.
post #27 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Thoroughly enjoyed this title, didn't really see much to complain about. PQ and AQ are excellent.
post #28 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Just got this in and we really enjoyed the suspenseful story.

Couple points on the review.
I too can only confirm this title is 5.1 DTS MA. Even lists it as such on the box art. No reference to 7.1 anywhere on my copy. (using 7.1 system using a Denon 4311ci and have no trouble playing other 7.1 BD from Lionsgate.) I saw the ads for it are 7.1 so it must be a misprint or there are two versions of the disk being sold.

I also had some trouble playing this title on my OPPO BD-93. The loading and sitting with blank screen was pretty long. Had to restart the OPPO twice before it would play the movie after selecting play from the TopMenu.
I switched to my PS3 which never fails and it had to load an update from Lionsgate first, then it zipped right through the previews and on to Top Menu and played immediately. Ralph- Do you ever have trouble playing a disk on the OPPO and not your PS3? If you do, It would be nice to get that feedback in your reviews.

Don Landis
post #29 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

I too can only confirm this title is 5.1 DTS MA. Even lists it as such on the box art. No reference to 7.1 anywhere on my copy. (using 7.1 system using a Denon 4311ci and have no trouble playing other 7.1 BD from Lionsgate.) I saw the ads for it are 7.1 so it must be a misprint or there are two versions of the disk being sold.

Talked to my contact.. there are indeed two different versions (my check disc is indeed the 7.1 MA encode, hence my confusion.)

1. Rental, Netflix and WalMart (there may or may not be other retailers..) with a 5.1 DTS-HD MA encode.

2. All of the others get the full resolution DTS-HD MA 7.1..

I guess this has been LG SOP for a while..

Really news to me, and a little stunned by the revelation.
post #30 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 11:44 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

Talked to my contact.. there are indeed two different versions (my check disc is indeed the 7.1 MA encode, hence my confusion.)

1. Rental, Netflix and WalMart (there may or may not be other retailers..) with a 5.1 DTS-HD MA encode.

2. All of the others get the full resolution DTS-HD MA 7.1..

I guess this has been LG SOP for a while..

Really news to me, and a little stunned by the revelation.

Glad I preorder it. My copy should arrive tomorrow.

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Next Three Days Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page