Studio and Year: Paramount - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 107 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Brazilian Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese
Starring: Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton, Patrick Wilson, Jeff Goldblum
Directed by: Roger Michell
Music by: David Arnold
Written by: Aline Brosh McKenna
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 8, 2011

"What's the story?"

Film Synopsis:

For Becky (Rachel McAdams, "The Notebook"), running a TV show in New York City was the big break she dreamed ofuntil star co-anchors Mike (Harrison Ford, Indiana Jones) and Colleen (Diane Keaton, "Something's Gotta Give") declare an all-out, on-air war. Making the show work with its cast of eccentric characters and outrageous story angles will take a major miracle, but Becky is ready to rise and outshine.

My Take:

I am a Rachel McAdams fan and have been since seeing her in the Notebook. Her alluring good looks, schoolgirl charm and versatility as an actor make for a complete package that commands attention whenever she is onscreen. Morning Glory is a character driven comedy about a vivaciously competent morning television executive producer, Becky Fuller (McAdams) who is recently hired by the New York City based IBS network to resurrect the dying Daybreak morning show. She faces an abysmal level of cynicism from the staff and needs to find new ways to generate interest from them as well as morning TV viewers. When an opening becomes available for a co-anchor opposite Daybreak's current veteran host Colleen Peck (Keaton), Becky proposes to bring in the network's recently demoted news anchor Mike Pomeroy (Ford) in the hopes of boosting the show's ratings. Once the toast of New York news Mike is now embittered with a gruff exterior that makes him both feared and hated by co-workers. Becky quickly finds out that the best laid plans of mice and men (or women in this case) often go awry when Mike's huge ego gets in the way of her efforts. Amidst the chaos she tries to find balance in her budding romance with new boyfriend, and network peer, Adam. After being given a six week deadline by the network Becky tosses a Hail Mary that she hopes will keep them from pulling the plug on the show and her career.

Morning glory doesn't bring anything especially new to the genre table however it manages to feel fresh nonetheless. This is due to the wonderfully drawn characters, spirited/witty dialogue, and the energetic/breezy screenplay that allow the perfectly placed cast to shine. Rachel McAdams doesn't disappoint and has no trouble handling the lead role opposite screen veterans Keaton/Ford. Her captivating charm and pitch perfect timing sets the tone and establishes the viable connection to the story and the film's characters. The laughs never feel forced and the romance/drama doesn't take on unnecessary emphasis. I like the fly on the wall depiction of what it must be like to produce a morning show and appreciated the funny familial type interplay among the show's crew. As an ensemble the cast is great. Here are a few of my favorite moments: Becky's I accept meeting, Mike and Becky on the bench (following his freshly broken story), Colleen's put me in coach montage, Ernie on location Becky style, and Becky in slow mo'. Certainly derivative but decidedly entertaining Morning Glory provides a great bit of escapism that didn't leave me wanting less but wanting more.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some sexual content including dialogue, language and brief drug references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Morning Glory comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

This is a great looking video presentation that boasts vivid primary colors and excellent depth and dimension. Images are sharp, delineated and revealing of subtle textural detail that enhances the perception of minutia within clothing, physical features and objects onscreen. Blacks are rich with deep highlights that provide plenty of pop during dark sequences that contain mixed content. Detail in shadowy backgrounds and dim lighting in the nighttime exterior sequences is quite good which gives those segments appreciable depth of field. Fidelity never wavers in this beautifully rendered high def encoding from Paramount.

The DTS MA soundtrack is quite good and easily renders the source elements with excellent clarity and punchy dynamics. Dialogue is delivered with crystal clarity and discerning tonal characteristics through the center channel. The surrounds are active at times and used to good effect for sound effects and mild but enveloping ambience. The mix is well balanced and creates an enjoyable surround sound experience that perfectly matches the tone of the film.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with director Roger Michell and screenwriter Aline Brosh McKenna

• (HD) Deleted scene

Final Thoughts:

As far as dramedys go Morning Glory doesn't break new ground but its wonderfully drawn characters, spirited/witty dialogue, and breezy screenplay mated with a solid ensemble cast provides a great bit of escapism that didn't leave me wanting less but wanting more. I have no complaints with its high definition audio/video presentation as it looks terrific and features crystal clear lossless sound quality. I found the lack of bonus material, save for a deleted scene/filmmaker commentary, to be the only disappointment in this otherwise worthwhile Blu-ray offering from Paramount Home Entertainment. Enjoy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agree with you on this Ralph! Thought the overall movie was great! Balances out the comedy and drama. Harrison and Diane did a pretty good job on this one as well as Rachel. Definitely worth checking out.

Cheers
post #3 of 13 Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 AM

I enjoyed this too.
The movie explores a tiny bit the main character's workaholic life style and Harrison Ford's character gives a few bits of perspective on that way of living, but it didn't feel preachy. The cast and their chemistry made this movie really fun IMO.

Thumbs up, and nice review.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This was a decent little flick. I thought Harrison Ford played a good part in this movie. I was surprised to see Jeff Goldblum. Its his first movie since Jurassic Park! lol!
post #5 of 13 Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
This was a decent little flick. I thought Harrison Ford played a good part in this movie. I was surprised to see Jeff Goldblum. Its his first movie since Jurassic Park! lol!
Not even close! check out Jeff's IMDB.com page. He's been in a bunch of different film, animated (voice) and TV projects since JP.

Jeff Goldblum filmography

Regards,
Al

post #6 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Ralph, thanks for the review. Looks like its worth a rental. Now I understand the title and the cover art on the Blu-ray. At first I thought it might be about Riverdancing.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've got to disagree with you Ralph. RMs performance of the scattered, clumsy, earnest and desperately trying for success fledgling executivewas...well...way too desperate. The energy in the room was me forcing myself not to throw a pillow at the screen everytime she launched into yet another uncomfortable spastic rendition of a character played 1000 times by Sandra Bullock (who does it better). Ford was all right, though his monotone stone faced delivery was a bit too much, even so. Keaton was underutilized and underdeveloped. Goldblum was great. The movie started irritating me from the get go, but did wrap up well. A bit of the " Too litte to late for me" for me to give it more than 2 stars (and that's a stretch). McAdams was awkward, the script was awkward and the plot was cookie cutter.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I've got to disagree with you Ralph. RMs performance of the scattered, clumsy, earnest and desperately trying for success fledgling executivewas...well...way too desperate. The energy in the room was me forcing myself not to throw a pillow at the screen everytime she launched into yet another uncomfortable spastic rendition of a character played 1000 times by Sandra Bullock (who does it better). Ford was all right, though his monotone stone faced delivery was a bit too much, even so. Keaton was underutilized and underdeveloped. Goldblum was great. The movie started irritating me from the get go, but did wrap up well. A bit of the " Too litte to late for me" for me to give it more than 2 stars (and that's a stretch). McAdams was awkward, the script was awkward and the plot was cookie cutter.

Greetings,

Sorry you didn't like this one Ron. Oh well, next time..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #9 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I thought this was a pleasant enough dramedy. Didn't see any problems with any of the acting, in fact I'd say that acting is the real strong point for this movie. Good popcorn flick.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I thought this was a pleasant enough dramedy. Didn't see any problems with any of the acting, in fact I'd say that acting is the real strong point for this movie. Good popcorn flick.

Greetings,

Absolutely..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #11 of 13 Old 03-13-2011, 04:54 PM

Liked: 31
I watched it last night. It was good enough. Wife enjoyed it. Didn't waste my $4 rental.

What I noticed, was that during the musical interludes, was that for me, the bass was way too loud (or pronounced). Did any one else notice the same thing?
post #12 of 13 Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

The situations Rachel put the wingy weatherman through had the wife and I in stitches. A very enjoyable flick with excellent story and acting.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

The situations Rachel put the wingy weatherman through had the wife and I in stitches. A very enjoyable flick with excellent story and acting.

Greetings,

Glad you both enjoyed it George..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Morning Glory Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Morning by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page