Subtitles: English (dubbed), English
Starring: Won Bin, Kim Sae-Ron
Written & Directed by: Lee Jeong-Beom
Music by: Shim Hyun-Jung
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 8, 2011

"Nothing to lose, Nothing to compromise"

Film Synopsis:

Tae-Sik, a former special agent becomes a loner after suffering a tragic loss and lives a bitter life running a pawnshop. He only has a few customers and a friend named So-mi, a little girl next door. As Tae-Sik and Som-Mi spend more time together they strike up a friendship. So-Mi's mother is an addict who gets on the wrong side of some local mob types with ties to drugs and something much worse. When she gets in over her head she and So-Mi are kidnapped. Tae-Sik quickly steps out of the shadows in order to rescue them but finds that doing so means striking a bargain that could reveal his hidden past. What the kidnappers don't realize is that Tae-Sik, The man from nowhere with nothing to lose, nothing to compromise and nothing to stop him.

My Take:

Tae-shik (Won Bin) is an ex-military special agent whose tragic past has made him distance himself from the world. He now lives in solitude and runs a small pawnshop. The only people he now sees are the few pawnshop customers and So-mi (Kim Sae-Ron), the young girl who lives next door. So-mi has also been neglected by the world and as she and Tae-shik begin to spend more time together, the two gradually open themselves to one another and become friends. So-mi mother's affiliation with drug trafficking turns deadly when she pilfers a delivery and stashes the goods in Tae-Shik's pawn shop without his knowledge. When the bad guys come looking they kidnap So-Mi and her mother to use a leverage in order to entice Tae-Shik to make a delivery for them. In reality the delivery is part of a bigger plan to eliminate their competition and set Tae-Shik up as the fall guy. When the truth comes to light Tae-Shik sees the handwriting on the wall for So-Mi and her mother. With time running out The man from nowhere, as he is now referred to, must step from the shadows into the light in order to extricate himself but more importantly to save the only person in the world that he cares about.

This is a pretty decent action thriller that has a sentimentality that I found reminiscent of (Leon) The Professional. This lies in the relationship between So-Mi and Tae-Shik and the nature of the bond they share as two people who discover that they need one another. I liked the entire cast but especially thought that Bin Won did a great job in the role of the ass kicking silent type who does more communicating through his actions than his words. The plot is a straight forward revenge scenario although it got a little fuzzy a few times. I think this may have had more to do with the language barrier but I did scratch my head once or twice. The pacing could have been smoother as well however I found the moderate level of suspense, slick integrated action and excellent cinematography to be rewarding. The bloody encounter in the final act segues into an emotional ending that didn't quite befit what preceded it but everyone's take on that could be different. The bottom line; The man from nowhere is a thematically dark and entertaining crime thriller that makes for a satisfying action film.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong bloody violence, pervasive language, drug content and brief nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The man from nowhere comes to Blu-ray Disc from Well Go USA featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 1.7 Mbps.

This video presentation has a filmic quality that doesn't always lend itself to razor sharp images however resolution is excellent as both people and objects are rendered with clear definition that at times is meticulously resolved. The color palette isn't a diverse one and with the exception of a colorful flashback sequence sticks mainly to tamped down secondary hues with splashes of primary colors that render a cooler overall aesthetic. Flesh tones are on the bland side but fit right in with the visual style of the video. Contrast is bold which adds dynamic emphasis to sequences containing bright elements. Blacks are dynamic and slightly crushed. Scenes containing uneven and/or dim lighting reveal discernible but occasionally limited detail in shadowy backgrounds and darkened areas. These segments don't have the dimensional perspective of the brighter scenes and tend to appear flat by comparison. Grain is visibly moderate and appears to be well preserved.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix which comes in English dubbed and Korean (which I used during my evaluation) languages does a nice job rendering the film's soundtrack. Dialogue has excellent intonation and clarity which allows even subtle changes in vocal pitch to be appreciable. This is a well balanced audio presentation that quite often engages the entire system. Dynamic range is excellent and the soundstage has an open expression that allows its elements to extend well into the room. Discrete rear channel activity isn't extensive however the action based elements provide an enriching level of immersion which is generated by a seamless sound field. The action based sequences are empowered by near field sound effects, robust dynamics and thumping techno rhythms that energize the room. The LFE channel is frequently active and reproduces the film's music and extended lower bass frequencies with visceral impact that has excellent tactility.

** CIH users should make note that the subtitles appear both in the picture and letterbox areas.

Bonus Features:

• Teaser trailer

• Theatrical trailer

• Action sequence highlight reel - 5 minutes

• Making of featurette - 17 minutes

Final Thoughts:

The man from nowhere is a dark crime thriller built around an oft used plot that features rewarding action, interesting characters and a little melodramatic flavor that works in nicely. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Well Go USA in a technically strong offering that features solid audio/video quality but a lackluster offering of bonus supplements. Genre fans should definitely check this one out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was planning on buying it because of a good price and now that I know the BD quality is quite good, that ices it as I'm totally sold for a release day purchase. Glad you got to it before release day and thanks.

From what I've been reading in several places, this seems to be a very good recommendation for a blind buy (which I'm doing myself).
post #3 of 10 Old 03-05-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Ralph, thanks the review, I'm sold, especially given the low pre-order price on Amazon.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw this on BB shelf and didn't really think much of it. After reading this review i'll definitely be picking this up.

Well Go USA is the same company that brought out IP Man.

Cheers
post #5 of 10 Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 PM

Anyone ordered from Amazon? what's wrong with the BR from Amazon? They are not selling it anymore and it's under review:

Item Under Review
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 PM

Some people were getting IP Man with the MFN slipcover.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I recieved my copy from Amazon last Friday and it was fine. BTW, I was sort of surprised that the slipcover art is different from the BD artwork. I always thought it was redundant to have the same cover art for both.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Ditto. I got my copy on March 8th and it looks like the correct BD movie although I have not watched it yet. I would preferred the slipcover art for the BD case since I always throw the slipcover away.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #9 of 10 Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I bought this blind from amazon (preorder). I watched it a week or two ago and really enjoyed it. The subtitles were a bit off at times, but that wasn't that big of a deal to me.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Finally got around to watching this and wow, what a great movie! I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend giving it a rent if you haven't seen it yet. If I hadn't just ordered Ip Man 1&2 from yesasia I'd be grabbing this but it is def worth owning!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Man From Nowhere Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page