Feature running time: 115 minutes
Genre: Drama/Sports

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Melissa Leo, Jack McGee, Mickey O’Keefe
Directed by: David O. Russell
Music by: Michael Brook
Written by: Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy, Eric Johnson
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 15, 2011

"We are family.."

Film Synopsis:

Based on a true story, two brothers, against all the odds, come together to train for a historic title bout that has the power to reunite their fractured family and give their hard-luck town what it's been waiting for: pride. Micky Ward (Wahlberg) is a struggling boxer long overshadowed by his older brother and trainer, Dicky (Bale), a local legend battling his own demons. Their explosive relationship threatens to take them both down - but the bond of blood may be their only chance for redemption.

My Take:

I am not as much of a boxing fan as I used to be. The sport has lost its luster as the level of talent isn’t what it once was. This doesn’t apply to the era in which “Irish” Mickey Ward fought in. His legendary bouts with Arturo Gatti are still talked about and he is seen as one of the toughest fighters of his generation. The Fighter touches upon aspects of his career but really focuses more on dysfunctional familial relationship between Mickey, his brother/trainer Dickey Eklund (once a promising professional boxer), and the remainder of their extended family which includes his mother/manager Alice Ward. The two fold plot encapsulates the relationship between Mickey and Dicky with the emphasis falling on Dicky’s good intentions constantly being overshadowed by his destructive behavior which adversely affects the entire family. Mickey looks up to his brother but realizes that tough decisions have to be made regarding his training/management. With the support of his new girlfriend, Charlene, his dad George, and new trainer Mickey O’Keefe, Mickey resumes his career and sets his sights on the Light Welterweight title. As he draws nearer to his title shot Mickey, against the advice of those now close to him, takes a chance and brings Dicky back into the fold. With his brother in his corner Mickey feels that all of the pieces important to his success are in place. He steps into the ring against WBU Light Welterweight Champion Shea Neary for the most important fight of his career.

This is a powerful dramatic film filled with authentic characters based upon real salt of the earth people from a family with a lineage in boxing. It was shot on location in Lowell Massachusetts which added an element of realism to the story’s working class roots. I tend to like human interest stories and this is a good one built around real people. The narrative is of the inspirational, overcoming adversity/odds at all costs types and it effectively captures the essence of this family both good and bad. The performances by Christian Bale, Amy Adams and Melissa Leo are top notch. Mark Wahlberg doesn’t play this character with any more depth than he handles most roles. I have no problem with that and thought that he did just fine. Honorable mention goes out to character actor Jack McGee while I tip my cap to first time actor Mickey O’Keefe who portrayed himself. I thoroughly enjoyed The Fighter and appreciated the dedication and devotion shown by the filmmakers (which includes Mark Wahlberg) to bring this great story to the big screen. Nearly four years in the making it was well worth the effort.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language throughout, drug content, some violence and sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Fighter comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.1 Mbps.

This isn’t a bright or overly colorful film. The chromatic palette consists mainly of cooler tones and muted secondary hues with the occasional interjection of primary colors that don’t offer much in the way of visual stimulation. This coupled with the light veil of grain gives it a rougher visual style that works quite well with the film’s thematic tone. Resolution is excellent but the nature of the photography isn’t always lent to the high gloss definition that provides an infinite sense of depth. There are many instances where detail is clearly resolvable with discerning visual perspective and rich clarity. On the other hand there are times where delineation and sharpness is less tangibly defining. Close ups tend to be outstanding and offer plenty of appreciable refinement in the physical features and weave of the fabric in the clothing worn by the cast. The superb cinematography uses a variety of lighting schemes and purposeful shadows. The perception of detail in backgrounds and scenes containing mixed light/dark elements can be scene dependent but this appears directly related to artistic choice and rarely has a deleterious effect. Contrast is stable over the course of the presentation and blacks, while not inky, have sufficient depth so that they don’t appear flat or washed out. I didn’t note any overt signs of video related anomalies and thought that this presentation as a whole was excellent.

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack features crystal clear dialogue, snappy dynamics and a subtle, yet engaging surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension and discrete directional sounds that created an occasionally immersive listening environment (the fights sequences are a great example and sound terrific). This worked hand in hand with a punchy low end the supported the film’s music, and source material, to help drive the story.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by director David O. Russell

• (HD) The warrior code: Filming The Fighter – 30 minute featurette

• (HD) Keeping the faith – 8 minute documentary

• (HD) 16 deleted scenes with optional director commentary

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Bonus DVD of The Fighter

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Fighter is a genuine and rewarding drama/biopic that is justly deserving of comparison to other great boxing films. Its inspirational and true story about overcoming adversity, sustaining family and succeeding through pure heart and determination is capably helmed by director David O. Russell and features superb/award winning performances from an excellent cast. It makes its home video debut from Paramount featuring distinguished high definition video quality, excellent lossless sound and a middling but worthwhile offering of bonus supplements. Not to be missed I highly recommend you check out The Fighter on Blu-ray.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Ralph -- Thanks for your review. I agree with your analysis, both about the technical aspects of the film and its artistic merits. I saw The Fighter in the theater with my daughter and son in law and we all loved it. I saw in the theater the same subdued color palate you described after watching the BD. I suppost that was the director's artistic choice because of the film's setting and characters. Anyway, when the BD is released on 3/15 I will be at my neighborhood Blockbuster bright and early to get a copy and see this wonderful film again.
post #3 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
The portrayal of Ward's family is pretty scarry. If I were him, I would have gotten as far away from them as possible!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #4 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

The portrayal of Ward's family is pretty scarry. If I were him, I would have gotten as far away from them as possible!

Greetings,

I agree but you know the saying that goes "you can pick you friends but...".

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After seeing the trailer i wasn't really that convinced of how this movie is going to play out but decided it was worth a shot. After seeing it I was pretty much blown away that this was actually a true story. Definitely a great movie overall. Superb acting by Mark, Christian, Amy and Melissa. Collect!

Cheers
post #6 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
great review and great movie. Christian Bale definitely deserved his Oscar
post #7 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM

I'm buying this.
post #8 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Liked: 31
This was an must buy for me...you just put icing on the cake...and The Walking Dead actually as well.

Thanks King P
post #9 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Had no idea this was already coming out! Must be while the Oscar buzz is still going around. This will be a day-one purchase for me.
post #10 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

After seeing the trailer i wasn't really that convinced of how this movie is going to play out but decided it was worth a shot. After seeing it I was pretty much blown away that this was actually a true story. Definitely a great movie overall. Superb acting by Mark, Christian, Amy and Melissa. Collect!

Cheers

In a nutshell.
post #11 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Great review Ralph. This is a blind buy for me and I can't wait to see it.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #12 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 AM
krs

Liked: 11
Thanks Ralph! I was sure this was a good'n, and I miss Muhammed Ali and Sugar Ray too.

No doubt the gritty and understated film quality is an artistic expression and though I have yet to see it I'm sure that it'll seem appropriate to me.

I've been looking forward to this one - all the more with your affirmation.
post #13 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 PM

Ralph, can you confirm you actually tested it as being region A, B, C as stated in the review, I ask because all of my searching of other resources on the web seem to be saying it's locked to region A. Hoping for region free as located in region B

Cheers
post #14 of 45 Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent666 View Post

Ralph, can you confirm you actually tested it as being region A, B, C as stated in the review, I ask because all of my searching of other resources on the web seem to be saying it's locked to region A. Hoping for region free as located in region B

Cheers

This title from Paramount is region A locked due to distribution rights around the world i'm afraid. Paramount are almost always region free hence Ralph taking for granted this title would also be.
post #15 of 45 Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 PM

one of my favorites of last year. great review

post #16 of 45 Old 03-21-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Watched it over the weekend and loved it. I wanted to see Bale for the most part and he does an amazing job at it. It's almost like he's the main character.
post #17 of 45 Old 03-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I watched this Blu Ray (from Netflix) on Friday and really enjoyed it. Kind of reminded me of The Departed as far as style which is interesting in that Mark tried to get Martin Scorsese to direct this--the movie seemed to have a bit of Scorsese feel to it even though it was directed by David Russell.

Bob

post #18 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I saw this over the weekend and thought it was the best film of last year understanding I haven't seen but 4 or 5 of the best picture nominees. I went through a range of emotions watching this film. Outstanding in almost every way!
post #19 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Great review Ralph, and I agree with your ratings 100%.

I was really looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint in the least. Christian Bale was unreal. I thought Mark Wahlberg was perfect for this role as well with his physique and background in the local area. Fantastic acting all around. It's funny though, how I thought I recognized the cop/trainer from other films, but it turned out he was a first time actor and the real guy. The family dynamics totally carried this film, and the fighting story was the icing on the cake.

Also, I can't believe they filmed this in well less than 40 days (if I remember correctly.)

I really enjoyed the extras and seeing the real folks that this film depicts.

Will recommend this one frequently.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ: 4.5 out of 5, Film 4.5 out of 5

Dan
post #20 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Great review Ralph, and I agree with your ratings 100%.

I was really looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint in the least. Christian Bale was unreal. I thought Mark Wahlberg was perfect for this role as well with his physique and background in the local area. Fantastic acting all around. It's funny though, how I thought I recognized the cop/trainer from other films, but it turned out he was a first time actor and the real guy. The family dynamics totally carried this film, and the fighting story was the icing on the cake.

Also, I can't believe they filmed this in well less than 40 days (if I remember correctly.)

I really enjoyed the extras and seeing the real folks that this film depicts.

Will recommend this one frequently.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ: 4.5 out of 5, Film 4.5 out of 5

Dan

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Dan!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts as well Rach..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #21 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Finally get a chance to watch this tonight. Going by the reviews I'm looking forward to it.

Frank

post #22 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Finally get a chance to watch this tonight. Going by the reviews I'm looking forward to it.

I saw The Fighter in the theater and again when it was released on BD. I loved it both times and will be surprised if you don't, too. It is a compelling story, interestingly told, and has a great ensemble cast. Enjoy!
post #23 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Saw this last night... wow, this movie was so hyped up. I was expecting something powerful and amazing. Very overrated. Bales usual over acting to Walberg playing himself, climax fell completely flat. Bale didn't deserve an Oscar, this movie should never have been nominated at best picture. Rocky Balboa was a far better acted and scripted sports movie with tons more heart that never received any recognition.
post #24 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I saw The Fighter in the theater and again when it was released on BD. I loved it both times and will be surprised if you don't, too. It is a compelling story, interestingly told, and has a great ensemble cast. Enjoy!

I like Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale good actors.

Frank

post #25 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 AM
CIH USER

This is a fantastic film. Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale were great but I have to say Christian Bale performance was outstanding he played his part so well that he had even me convinced as the character he played. Im glad I bought this.

Frank

post #26 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

I have to say this film was perfect and the acting was top notch from all the cast ( especially Bale ).

I did enjoy it gwsat it will certainly be watched in my house and highly recommend it. I give it a 9/10

Frank

post #27 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

Saw this last night... wow, this movie was so hyped up. I was expecting something powerful and amazing. Very overrated. Bales usual over acting to Walberg playing himself, climax fell completely flat. Bale didn't deserve an Oscar, this movie should never have been nominated at best picture. Rocky Balboa was a far better acted and scripted sports movie with tons more heart that never received any recognition.

Your opinion represents a decided minority and is certainly contrary to my own. I would recommend to other posters here that they should not avoid The Fighter based on your post but should instead see it themselves and make up their own minds.

I thought that Christian Bales's performance in The Fighter was remarkable, the best of his career, and that his Oscar for it was as well deserved as any that has ever been given.

Finally, I think Rocky Balboa was another respectable but undistinguished entry in the Rocky franchise and not in the the same world as The Fighter. All of this goes to show that there is no accounting for taste.
post #28 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Your opinion represents a decided minority and is certainly contrary to my own. I would recommend to other posters here that they should not avoid The Fighter based on your post but should instead see it themselves and make up their own minds.

I thought that Christian Bales's performance in The Fighter was remarkable, the best of his career, and that his Oscar for it was as well deserved as any that has ever been given.

Finally, I think Rocky Balboa was another respectable but undistinguished entry in the Rocky franchise and not in the the same world as The Fighter. All of this goes to show that there is no accounting for taste.

Greetings,

gwsat, I encourage members to post their opinions regardless of whether they differ from my own. You have made your impressions of The Fighter known as has Goatse. Your final comment would suggest that his impressions of the film/Christian Bale are inferior because they don't agree with the majority.

As always I appreciate your input but be mindful of the objectivity associated with everyone's viewpoint and respect their right to disagree.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #29 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

gwsat, I encourage members to post their opinions regardless of whether they differ from my own. You have made your impressions of The Fighter known as has Goatse. Your final comment would suggest that his impressions of the film/Christian Bale are inferior because they don't agree with the majority.

As always I appreciate your input but be mindful of the objectivity associated with everyone's viewpoint and respect their right to disagree.

Regards,

Ralph -- I apologize for the apparent lack of clarity in my post. My final comment was not meant to imply that my taste is better than anybody else's but was meant as a reminder that tastes do indeed vary from person to person. In other words, I was trying to ease up, not create a confrontation.
post #30 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Ralph -- I apologize for the apparent lack of clarity in my post. My final comment was not meant to imply that my taste is better than anybody else's but was meant as a reminder that tastes do indeed vary from person to person. In other words, I was trying to ease up, not create a confrontation.

Greetings,

Another example of how the written word can be easily misinterpreted thus requiring careful choosing of our words.

Thanks much gwsat!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Fighter Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version