Pirates Of The Caribbean Trilogy (Blu-ray) 7 Disc Set - Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-11-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 517
attachment.php?attachmentid=204983&d=1299857570
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Disney - 2003, 2006, 2007
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 462 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50 (films), BD-25 (bonus disc)
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English uncompressed PCM 5.1, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French Spanish
Starring: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Kiera Knightley, Jonathan Pryce, Jack Davenport, Bill Nighy, Geoffrey Rush, Stellan Skarsgard, Kevin R. McNally, Chow Yun Fat
Directed by: Gore Verbinski
Music by: Hans Zimmer
Written by: Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 1, 2011

"Swashbuckling Adventuretimes three"

Film Synopsis:

Lose yourself in the magic of every moment of the swashbuckling phenomenon that took the world by storm with all three films of the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy in one spectacular eye-popping, ear-stunning Blu-ray boxed set. Thrill to the adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow and the unforgettable cast of rogues and heroes that made each of these movies a smash hit from sea to sea.

My Take:

The curse of The Black Pearl: A thrilling, high-seas adventure with a mysterious twist. The roguish yet charming Captain Jack Sparrow's (Johnny Depp) idyllic pirate life capsizes after his nemesis, the wily Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), steals his ship the Black Pearl, and later attacks the town of Port Royal, kidnapping the governor's beautiful daughter Elizabeth (Keira Knightley). In a gallant attempt to rescue her and recapture the Black Pearl, Elizabeth's childhood friend Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) joins forces with Jack. What Will doesn't know is that a cursed treasure has doomed Barbossa and his crew to live forever as the undead.

Dead Man's Chest: Charming rogue pirate Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) is back for a grand, swashbuckling, nonstop joyride filled with devilish pirate humor, monstrous sea creatures, and breathtaking black magic. Now, Jack's got a blood debt to pay - he owes his soul to the legendary Davy Jones, ghostly Ruler of the Ocean Depths...but ever-crafty Jack isn't about to go down without a fight. Along the way, dashing Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and the beautiful Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) get caught up in the thrilling whirlpool of misadventures stirred up in Jack's quest to avoid eternal damnation by seizing the fabled Dead Man's Chest!

At World's End: Just when he's needed most, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), that witty and wily charmer of a pirate, is trapped on a sea of sand in Davy Jones' Locker. In an increasingly shaky alliance, Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) and Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) begin a desperate quest to find and rescue him. Captain Jack's the last of the nine Pirate Lords of the Brethren Court who must come together united in one last stand to preserve the freedom-loving pirates' way of life. From exotic Singapore to World's End and beyond, from Shipwreck Island to a titanic battle, this adventure's filled with over-the-edge action, irreverent humor and seafaring myth and magic.

I have been a fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean films since seeing the original back in 2003. I managed to catch them all during their theatrical runs and have owned them on Blu-ray Disc since they became available. With the quality and popularity of these three films as well as their previous releases/reviews on home video I will avoid further description/dissection of their individual plots. If you're a fan of the action/adventure genre these swashbuckling films brim with engaging action, intelligent crafting, and an interconnected/continuing plot that centers on Captain Jack Sparrow who is portrayed with invigorated distinction by Johnny Depp. Previously available separately all three films are included in this box set which comes supplied with a bonus disc which adds additional supplements for Dead Man's Chest, At world's end and provides a sneak peek at the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean On stranger tides. If you don't already own these films on Blu-ray this is a great opportunity to snag them all (with a bonus). If you already have them the additional bonus material isn't enough incentive to repurchase in my opinion. The seven disc set comes in a handsome/sturdy slipcover with an additional slot on the rear to house the separate bonus disc. As a fan I am pleased to have the latest release (bonus disc and all) and look forward to checking out On Stranger Tides in May.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for action/adventure violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The Curse of the Black Pearl comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 16 Mbps and lossless 5.1 uncompressed PCM audio that has a constant bitrate of 6.9 Mbps.

Dead Man's Chest comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 12 Mbps and lossless 5.1 uncompressed PCM audio that has a constant bitrate of 6.9 Mbps.

At World's End comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless 5.1 uncompressed PCM audio that has a constant bitrate of 6.9 Mbps.

These are the same AVC encodings/uncompressed PCM soundtracks found on the original Blu-ray releases. The jacket for At World's End indicates that the audio is uncompressed 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio which is a misprint. In viewing all three of these films it is apparent that fidelity is intact. Disney has supported lossless audio on their Blu-ray Disc releases right from the beginning and their soundtracks have provided some of the best high resolution audio offered from the format which is something I am sure they aspire to. These three films share similar audio/video quality so my comments regarding them will apply across the board.

The Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy on Blu-ray is a reference quality high definition video presentation that looks superb. Images can be visually arresting and have a rich dynamic quality that highlights a near flawless rendering of detail. The video has excellent dimension and enriching clarity that rarely leaves me wanting. The stylized visual design features varied aesthetics that mate perfectly with subject matter. The majority of the film boasts deep shades of gray, sepia, blue, beige, green, white and black. These colors are not vivid in tonality but their depiction is stark and fully appreciable onscreen. There are instances where a broader chromatic swath is utilized and when applied colors are deeply saturated with lustrous vibrancy and succulent textures that leap off of the screen. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. Flesh tones are not overtly complex in tone but appear diverse in subtle structure and complexional makeup. High production value spans each film as they expertly blend real imagery with CGI. The end result is superlative video presentations that evoke the swashbuckling adventure and spirit of the Pirates of the Caribbean series.

Action/adventure films like these are tailor made for lossless audio's higher fidelity and in the case of all three of these movies the uncompressed PCM audio sound doesn't disappoint. These are reference quality soundtracks that bristle with active surround sound, extended dynamic range, and deep, room filling bass that all makes for an enthralling home theater experience. Whether it's the supple texture of falling rain or the aggressive bombast of multi-level fight sequences the auditory is richly basked in sonic clarity and potent dynamic energy. The audio bombards the senses with a plethora of hard hitting and detail rich sound effects. Surround activity is abundant with purposeful near field and diffused atmospheric placement that creates a sound field that is immersive and involving. Balance between the front and rear soundstages is spot on so that sounds that pass between the speakers going in either direction is done so in a seamless fashion. Low frequencies are rendered cleanly with authoritative depth, and room filling resonance that increases in intensity where appropriate. Dialogue is clear, full bodied and tonally descriptive throughout. There is a multitude of demonstration worthy moments over the span of the three films that result in an enthralling home theater experience that simply rocks.

Bonus Features:

The curse of The Black Pearl:

• Three audio commentaries featuring director Gore Verbinski, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, members of the cast and the writing team

• (HD) Scoundrels of the sea: Bonus view/interactive pop-up trivia track that features a multitude of fun facts related to everything Pirates (each of the segments can be viewed independently from the menu as well)

• 38 minute, 8 part making of documentary

• Fly on the set featurettes (25 minutes) with camera footage shot during the filming of 8 different sequences

• 7 minute Becoming Captain Jack featurette

• 5 minute Becoming Barbossa featurette

• 6 minute featurette on blowing up the ship

• 4 minute featurette on Levi the monkey

• Pre-visualization animatic for the sneak attack sequence

• 7 minute feature about the theme part rides inspiration for the story

• 14 minute history of the attraction featurette

• 19 deleted scenes

• 11 minute video diary of Lady Washington - one of the ships used in the film

• 9 minute Lee Arenberg video diary

• Jerry Bruckheimer's photo diary with narration

• 3 minute blooper/gag reel

• Interactive history of pirates and tour of a computer generated pirate ship

• scene progression for the Moonlight Serenade sequence

• 18 minute Disneyland from The Pirates of the Caribbean to the World of Tomorrow 1968 short film

• 9 image galleries

Dead Man's Chest:

• Audio commentary with screenwriters Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio

• (HD) Liars Dice interactive game

• Pre-production featurette - 25 minutes

• Making of featurette - 63 minutes

• Captain Jack: From head to toe - Interactive Jack Sparrow costume and makeup featurette - 27 minutes

• Meet Davy Jones: Anatomy of a legend featurette - 12 minutes

• Creating the Kraken featurette - 10 minutes

• Dead men tell no tales: Re-Imagineering The Attraction featurette - 13 minutes

• Fly on the set: The Bone Cage sequence featurette - 3 minutes

• Jerry Bruckheimer photo diary - 4 minutes

• Pirates on Main Street: Dean Man's Chest movie premiere - 4 minutes

• Photo gallery

• Blooper reel - 4 minutes

• Mastering the blade - featuring Orlando Bloom, Kiera Knightley, Jack Davenport - 3 segments (15 minutes total

• Cannibal Island featurette - 8 minutes

• Tortuga bar brawl featurette - 3 minutes

• 3 promo spots

• Theatrical trailer (versions in English, French, Italian, German, and Portuguese)

• Teaser trailer (versions in English, Spanish, German, and Italian

• (HD) Trailer for At World's End

At World's End:

• (HD) Enter the Maelstrom: The interactive experience

• (HD) Keith & The Captain: On set with Johnny and the Rock Legend

• (HD) The tale of The Many Jacks

• (HD) 2 Deleted scenes with optional director commentary

• (HD) The world of Chow Yun-Fat

• (HD) The Pirate Maestro: The music of Hans Zimmer

• (HD) Masters of design - 5 segments

• (HD) Anatomy of a scene: The Maelstrom

• (HD) Hoist the colours

• (HD) Inside the Brethren Court

Exclusive Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy Bonus Disc:

• Dead Mans Chest:

• (HD) 18 Deleted/Extended scenes (29 minutes) with optional director commentary

• At Worlds End:

• (HD) 20 Deleted/Extended scenes (27 minutes) with optional director commentary

• (HD) On stranger tides revealed - (3 minutes) A sneak peek at the next installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean series

Final Thoughts:

The Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy is a popular franchise that entices film fans with provocative action, thrilling storylines, and steadfast production elements. I find their fresh conceptual spin on the action/adventure genre highly entertaining and enjoy revisiting them. Previously available separately all three films are included in this box set that comes supplied with a bonus disc which adds additional supplements for Dead Man's Chest, At world's end and provides a sneak peek at the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean film On stranger tides. If you don't already own these films on Blu-ray this is a great way to snag them all. If you already have them the additional bonus material alone isn't reason enough to repurchase in my opinion. All three films comes from Disney on Blu-ray Disc offering stunning high definition audio/video quality and come fully loaded with bonus features that give fans a comprehensive view into each production. As a fan I am glad to own this set (bonus disc and all) and look forward to checking out On Stranger Tides in May.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice. I was looking at this box set just the other night and had heard it was both a visual and an audio treat on blu-ray. This confirms my next purchase to add to the collection.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-11-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I'm a fan of this series, but "At Worlds End" nearly killed that. Fraid I wouldn't buy a set that includes that turkey. Also looking forward to seeing #4 with Ian McShane as Blackbeard.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I haven't watched these in years but will have to throw, at least, the first one in for a spin. Nice review!

post #5 of 17 Old 03-12-2011, 05:40 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I haven't watched these in years but will have to throw, at least, the first one in for a spin. Nice review!

I agree it makes me want to give them a spin again.

Frank

post #6 of 17 Old 03-12-2011, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Good review, and I like this set except for the fact (as you mention) that there is a new movie in the series coming out this year. No doubt at some future point another set will get released with all four movies in it. I have to admit that I have some apathy towards the film industry over tricks like this. For example, I bought Death Proof and Planet of Terror a couple of years ago, and afterwards they came out with a set that contains both movies plus the bonus trailers that you would have seen in the theater, which were conveniently left out of the versions of the movies I bought.

Then look at Avatar. It got released on DVD and Blu-ray, then an Extended Collector's Edition came out afterwards. Lord of the Rings and Star Wars were two other ones that got milked good with DVD re-releases, as if these films didn't do well enough at the theaters. Any monetary compensation for people who supported the movies by buying the original video releases? Didn't think so.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-12-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I bought the original box set for the three movies. The main movie disc's are exactly the same so I won't be getting this.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I bought the original box set for the three movies. The main movie disc's are exactly the same so I won't be getting this.

I agree definitely not.

Frank

post #9 of 17 Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Liked: 13
Bought one of these a couple days ago, The Curse of the Black Pearl. Includes a "magic code" to receive a free ticket (up to $8.50) for the new release coming to theaters later this year. Only watched the first hour of it so far but definitely loving it as far as picture and sound quality.

Was also buying Braveheart so I couldn't spring for the box set, can't do $70 worth of blu-rays in one day. I do think it's the best bet for the money since the singles, being Disney, will probably stay around $20 for a long time.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-13-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Another vote for a revisit, I just need to stay a wake all the way through .
post #11 of 17 Old 03-13-2011, 04:32 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the review. Great stuff!

Do you know if the "framing issues" that plagued the old solo release of the first film are all gone now on this new boxset?

Thank you.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Agree with the score. The transfer on these are amazingly clear!
post #13 of 17 Old 03-14-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I didn't have these on blu-ray yet, so I took advantage of the re-release. I don't mind that there's another movie coming soon... these three have a complete story arc & make a nice trilogy, regardless. I agree, though, if you already have the previous issue, the bonus disc is not reason enough to double-dip.

I bought the exclusive packaging available in the "book-style" case... handsome set.

As for the framing issue, that only affected the initial single release of COTBP, and was fixed prior to the release of any of the trilogy compilations. These discs look & sound great all the way through!
post #14 of 17 Old 03-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

As for the framing issue, that only affected the initial single release of COTBP, and was fixed prior to the release of any of the trilogy compilations. These discs look & sound great all the way through!

thank you for clarifying.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-22-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Me wants!
post #16 of 17 Old 02-25-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
For those who already purchased the 6-disc Trilogy but are pining after the 7-disc Trilogy bonus disc, but aren't prepared to pay $70 to get it, there appears to be a cheaper alternative.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pirates-Cari...179300&sr=8-10 for around £22 ex-VAT includes single disc versions of the 4 movies, but also includes a bonus region ABC Bluray disc which seems to contain the deleted and extended scenes from "Dead Man's Chest" and "At World's End"; although it is missing the "On Stranger Tides" preview.

However, this bonus disc also includes the 10 minute 1080p24 H264 640Kbps AC3 bonus "Wedlocked" that appears to currently only be available in the 15-disc Treasure Chest.

Each of the movie discs is labelled region ABC, except for "At World's End" which is labelled region B. However, the region B is likely a misprint as all discs play fine in a region A locked Oppo 93.

Whilst you have to purchase this boxset to get the bonus features and it likely duplicates the movie discs you have already purchased, because it is relatively cheap and the discs appear to be region AB at least, perhaps you can give the movie discs away to friends and family.

Note that the boxset comes in a wide 5-disc shrink-wrapped bluray case, but doesn't have the outer cardboard box as shown in the illustration on Amazon UK.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-02-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

For those who already purchased the 6-disc Trilogy but are pining after the 7-disc Trilogy bonus disc, but aren't prepared to pay $70 to get it, there appears to be a cheaper alternative.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pirates-Cari...179300&sr=8-10
for around £22 ex-VAT includes single disc versions of the 4 movies, but also includes a bonus region ABC Bluray disc which seems to contain the deleted and extended scenes from "Dead Man's Chest" and "At World's End"; although it is missing the "On Stranger Tides" preview.

However, this bonus disc also includes the 10 minute 1080p24 H264 640Kbps AC3 bonus "Wedlocked" that appears to currently only be available in the 15-disc Treasure Chest.

Each of the movie discs is labelled region ABC, except for "At World's End" which is labelled region B. However, the region B is likely a misprint as all discs play fine in a region A locked Oppo 93. . .

After comparing this, which costs less than $30 for all four films - delivered to the US, if you're a Prime Member - to the $44 dollars for what looks like the same set at US Amazon, I've put it in my shopping cart at Amazon.uk. The only other thing I've bought there - Crouching Tiger - was also on a tip posted at AVS, since US Amazon was only selling Tiger in a bundle with two other films I had no interest in. Long live AVS!

The Blu-ray of the original film was one of the first batch of disks I bought when I got my first Blu-ray player, the Panny BD50, which is now my backup player for the unlikely event that a disk won't play in my Oppo BDP-93. I agree about the quality of that transfer (though I'd never heard about a framing issue). The sound quality of Black Pearl has always made it a test disk for any tweaks to my setup - for subtleties like the handling of the music being played at the ceremony for the promotion of the military leader at the beginning as the camera moves from room to room, and the underwater sonic boom from the gold coin necklace.

It's a pity that the use of LPCM on disks went by the boards in favor of the ability to cram in more special features by using lossless compression.

Since I don't have any of the other films - though I did watch Dead Man's Chest on Prime, this is very tempting.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Pirates Of The Caribbean Three Movie Set Curse Of The Black Pearl Dead Mans Chest At Worlds End Blu

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page