Studio and Year: Warner - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 80 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Family

Disc Format: BD-25/BD-50 (3D)
Encoding: AVC/MCV
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Dan Aykroyd (voice), Justin Timberlake (voice), Tom Cavanagh, Anna Faris, T.J. Miller, Nathan Corddry, Andrew Daly
Directed by: Eric Brevig
Music by: John Debney
Written by: Jeffrey Ventimilia, Joshua Sternin, Brad Copeland
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 22, 2011

"All great things come in Bears"

Film Synopsis:

Everyone's favorite pic-a-nic basket-stealing bear brings his meal-mooching ways to movies in this live-action/CG-animated adventure starring Dan Aykroyd as the voice of Jellystone Park's famed troublemaker Yogi Bear and Justin Timberlake as the voice of Yogi's faithful pal Boo Boo. Jellystone has been losing business, so conniving Mayor Brown has decided to shut it down and sell the land. Faced with the loss of his home, Yogi must prove he really is smarter than the average bear as he and Boo Boo join forces with Ranger Smith to find a way to save the park from closing forever. Anna Faris, Tom Cavanagh, TJ Miller and Andrew Daly co-star in this wonderful new incarnation of Hanna-Barbera's classic cartoon.

My Take:

I grew up watching Hanna Barbara Cartoons and Yogi Bear was among my favorites. I honestly had no interest in seeing Yogi Bear when it was in the theater. When it arrived on 3D Blu-ray for review my curiosity was piqued. The cartoons proved fun because of their limited scope and slapstick rituals. Building a full length feature around these characters required integrating a plot that could not only support the comedic slapstick but some semblance of a story. The result is a cute but mediocre family film with an elementary storyline that will appeal to young viewers while putting their parents to sleep. I had no real feelings of nostalgia and found the situational comedy to be bland at best. I didn't mind T.J. Miller as Ranger Jones and thought Andrew Daly was a hoot as the duplicitous Mayor. The animation/CGI/3D was quite good and I enjoyed seeing Yogi and Boo Boo brought to life. Unfortunately the low charm factor, unimaginative humor and contrived story left it feeling flat however little ones will probably enjoy its 3D effects, animated characters and reiterated slapstick.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some mild rude humor.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Yogi Bear comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 17 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This is a pleasing high definition video presentation that boasts vivid primary colors and strong depth and dimension. Images are clean, delineated and revealing of subtle textural detail that enhances the perception of minutia within clothing, physical features and objects onscreen. Blacks are rich with deep highlights that provide plenty of visual pop. Detail in shadowy backgrounds and uneven lighting is quite good which gives those segments appreciable depth of field. Fidelity never wavers in this beautifully rendered high def encoding from Warner Bros. The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack readily delivers the goods in this fun and sometimes active surround mix. Dialogue is distinctive, free of sibilance, and appropriately elevated within the front soundstage. The atmospheric sounds of the city, blowing wind, flying objects and the ambient extension of the music score all come across with crystal clarity and proportionate spacing to create a believable and occasionally enveloping soundscape. Dynamics are punchy and bass has tangible weight that added solidity/depth to the mixes recorded elements. This presentation won't bring down the house but it sounds great.

3D Presentation: 90

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Yogi Bear 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p MVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24/17 Mbps.

So far I have been satisfied with what I have seen of the 3D formatted high definition Blu-ray releases that have come my way and Yogi Bear is no exception. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or people layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. There are a variety of sequences that provide a gimmicky but fun reach out and touch sense of dimensionality. One example can be seen in the opening picnic basket pilfering scene where Yogi is suspended in mid air/slow motion with various pieces of food exploding all around him. Another occurs later as they ride the white water rapids and the turtle gets tossed from the raft, held only by his tongue (you'll see how) and swings outward from the screen. Comparing color reproduction to the 2D presentation I felt that here they appeared to be slightly richer which made them more pleasing to the eye. The rendering of detail and clarity was similar although I would give the slightest edge for all around visual pop to the 3D version. I didn't notice any overtly distracting signs of ghosting/crosstalk or 3D related anomalies. Overall Yogi Bear makes for a fun film experience in 3D.

The same lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is found on both the 2D and 3D versions. See my comments/score above regarding the audio quality.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1 (3D):

• (HD/3D) Fun on the Yogi Bear set - 2 minutes

• (HD/3D) Tour of Jellystone Park - 2 minutes

• (HD/3D) Jellystone Park jewel: Yogi's secret hiding spot - 2 minutes

• (HD/3D) Jellystone visitor Pic-anic Demo - 2 minutes

• (HD/3D) Looney Tunes Rabid rider - 3 minute animated short

• Disc 2 (2D):

• (HD) Spending a day at Jellystone Park - Interactive map feature

• (HD) Yogi Bear mash up - 3 minutes

• (HD) Looney Tunes Rapid rider - 3 minute animated short

• (HD) Are you smarter than the average bear - Interactive matching game

• Disc 3

• Bonus DVD of Yogi Bear

• Digital Copy
attachment.php?attachmentid=205665&d=1300384883

Final Thoughts:

Yogi Bear is an uninspired family film that is hampered by unimaginative humor and a contrived story that while sleep inducing to adults may prove more engaging to young viewers. This three disc Blu-ray offering from Warner includes the feature film in high definition in both 3D and 2D flavors with each offering excellent video quality and involving DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. There are fan friendly Blu-ray exclusive features, behind the scenes footage, and an animated Looney Tunes short. Additionally the bonus supplements found on the 3D version are all offered in 3D which is a nice touch. Tack on a third disc containing the standard definition version of Yogi Bear along with a Digital Copy and you have a well rounded package ready for every playing environment. If you are already a fan this is worth considering as a purchase otherwise it only qualifies as a rental either for the kids on a rainy Saturday afternoon or to check out its 3D presentation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
JVC PK-AG1 3D Glasses
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Thanks Ralph.

I need to get it for my lil' Guy, he keeps talking about "boo boo bear"...

I am glad it looks good thanks for taking the time to review this one!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Thanks Ralph.

I need to get it for my lil' Guy, he keeps talking about "boo boo bear"...

I am glad it looks good thanks for taking the time to review this one!

Greetings,

Sure thing Lee..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Did not watch this one, but I did watch the fake ending posted on YouTube, in which Boo-Boo seeks a certain reward. Highly recommended little bit of "home-made" animation. Hilarious and almost touching.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Glad to see we're going to be getting 3D reviews . Thanks Ralph for adding once again a detailed section to your reviews.

Joe.T
Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Final Thoughts:

Yogi Bear is an uninspired family film that is hampered by unimaginative humor and a contrived story that while sleep inducing to adults may prove more engaging to young viewers.

I knew there was a reason why i didn't see this movie. Thanks for confirming Ralph. Sorry you had to go through this agony. LOL!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

Glad to see we're going to be getting 3D reviews . Thanks Ralph for adding once again a detailed section to your reviews.

Greetings,

You're more than welcome. Keep an eye our for upcoming 3D reviews of Tangled and Tron.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 03-18-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

You're more than welcome. Keep an eye our for upcoming 3D reviews of Tangled and Tron.

Regards,
Hey Ralph,

When do you think you'll be receiving those two titles? I've already got them in my que.

Cheers
Old 03-18-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post
Hey Ralph,

When do you think you'll be receiving those two titles? I've already got them in my que.

Cheers
Greetings,

Tangled will go live early next week. I received word that the 5 Disc Tron: Legacy/Tron Original set is on its way to me.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome Ralph. Can't wait to hear your review on it.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Call me infantile but I had a smile ear to ear watching this flick. Eric Brevig is a candidate for most prodigious 3D director. He has a mastery of the in your face effects, can position any hovering object anyplace, better than any other director and deal a witty-tasteful delivered gag. His absence of fear to use it is making Percival Zone of Comfort cowards out of Cameron , Pixar, Katzemberg and just about everyone else except the guy from ResEvil-4 (who also is not afraid of frequently populating the front lobe of the PZC). The fact that he does not take his family films too seriously, can carry the mood quite effectively, and in a nonstop entertainingly fashion that enhances your eye candy awareness.

I suggest Ralph that you give it another shot one day when you are feeling less the Reviewer's Burden (of doing the right thing by your readers ), just watch it for yourself, depending on ones mood what at first looks like an exercise in triviality takes on a new light when in sedentary and laconic frame of mind . This is not a 3D version of the Flinstones Movie -HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Tags
Yogi Bear Blu Ray 3d , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C7900 by PriceGrabber.com