Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
attachment.php?attachmentid=204588&d=1299600868
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109941&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Columbia Pictures- 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 103 minutes
Genre: Action, Drama, Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English, French DTS-HD MA 5.1, English Descriptive Track 5.1 Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, Paul Bettany, Timothy Dalton
Directed by: Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
Music by: James Newton Howard
Written by: Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck ,Christopher McQuarrie, and Julian Fellowes (screenplay), Jérôme Salle (motion picture "Anthony Zimmer")
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 21, 2011

"It all started when he met a woman."

Film Synopsis:

Frank, a mild-mannered American on vacation in Venice, Italy, is befriended by Elise, a breathtakingly beautiful woman with a mysterious secret. Soon, their playful romantic dalliance turns into a complicated web of dangerous deceit as they are chased by Interpol, the Italian police, and Russian hit men in this action adventure film.

My Take:

Audiences need to realize the truth behind films. They pack theaters to see a favorite star, and sometimes directors get major credit as well...but 99% of them don't know, or care about the writers. Yes a film can be enhanced by a great cast, but a junk script cant. Maybe this junk script can be helped by smart direction...and that would have saved 'The Tourist', a slow moving film that really goes nowhere of interest and loses whatever momentum it could have had to terrible pacing. This slow mover sprinkles in some tensionless action scenes and ties in an emotionless love-story and boring mistaken identity/who is who thriller. The great cast of Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, Paul Bettany, Timothy Dalton and Rufus Sewell had no chance of saving the misfiring script of 'The Tourist'.

Good ol' Hitchcock would be rolling in his grave after seeing this failed attempt at ripping off his Cary Grant films, combining them into this disaster. Really, we have mistaken identity, a train ride...it is blatant to any self respecting film buff. Directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, who was the creative force behind 2006s thought provoking and suspenseful "The Lives of Others" (which I highly recommend), I had some faith and was expecting more from this, even after hearing negative things. It is a remake of the French film "Anthony Zimmer", which I had heard decent things about. I have a feeling all the re-writes this remake had, along with the changing of flip-flopping of director as well as cast, from Tom Cruise to Sam Worthington to Depp and Charlize Theron to Jolie, something was lost in translation.

The above synopsis is sufficient here, and certainly does make the film seem interesting, action packed, romantic with twists and turns aplenty. All of these things are attempted, but all fall quite flat. There are moments of chemistry between Depp's Frank and Jolie's Elise, but even that feels forced most the time. One scene summed up the film for me. It is when Frank is being pulled behind a boat being driven by Elise. The shots in this scene are set-up so it is obvious that the water is being forced at the actor as opposed to Depp actually being pulled.

At least the background of Venice and its canals were interesting to look at...

Parental Guide:

Rated PG-13 for violence and brief strong language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=121037369
'The Tourist' travels to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound.

As blah as I felt about 'The Tourist', the A/V presentation saved he whole affair. The 2.40:1 AVC encoded video was nothing short of breathtaking, thanks to a combination of Venice's amazing scenery and an ultra-detailed and spot on color palette. Ripples in the canals as well as fine details in the amazing surrounding architecture were striking and crisp. I had no concern with black level or shadow details, and combining all of this with nicely saturated, yet accurate looking colors gave 'The Tourist' a pop and dimension that garners a reference rating.

The Lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound was well above average. Mostly a slow paced and dialogue driven film, when the action (and much needed momentum) kicked in, the front sound-stage opened up with an impressive surround presentation. While these moments were limited, the dialogue in the slower moments was always paramount, being quite clear and articulate. The LFE was not much of a standout, nor did it need to be. When utilized it was average and never did it impress. Over-all 'The Tourist' had very good audio quality, but wont test you or your system.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary with Director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck

• (HD) Featurettes: Canal Chats, A Gala Affair, Action in Venice, Bringing Glamour Back, Tourist Destionations- Travel the Canals of Venice

• (HD) Alternate Title Sequence

• (HD) Outtake Reel

• (HD) Trailers: Soul Surfer, How Do You Know, Inside Job, Country String

Final Thoughts:

I cant recommend 'The Tourist'. It's a failed attempt at being a Hitchcockian thriller/romance, that is awkwardly paced with way too many slow moments. The positive here is a gorgeous video presentation with some breathtaking scenery thanks to the Venetian landscape. The extras were a more enjoyable watch than the film itself, however, I found the commentary to be a bit of a drag. If you are really intrigued, or want to see this based on Jolie and Depp, do yourself a favor and make it a rental.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

Panasonic TC-P65VT25
Marantz SR5005 Receiver
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Artison Portrait Fronts and Artison LRS Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Dynamo 500 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Hey Lee, look at you finally getting a crack on reviewing a big Hollywood film with A stars actors, oh.... it's.. the tourist..Just kidding.

This film seem to be doom from the gate (I mean during the filming), with all the negative crap Angelina, and Johnny where getting from which seem to be every tabloids out there.

I put this one in my que, thanks for being straight shooter.

Dan
Old 03-18-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I only saw this movie because of...

1. Angelina Jolie
2. Angelina Jolie
3. Italy's - breathtaking scenery

Could really care less about the story.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Or yourself a favor, skip the rental and watch the original film.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

How close is this to "Anthony Zimmer"?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:50 PM

I would agree with Lee on the Audio/Video ratings, but I actually enjoyed the movie. It wasn't perfect by any means but i still thought it was pretty good.

Jason
Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 PM

Liked: 31

Oh boy.......
Old 03-19-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Sad, really .. wonder what Jolie and Depp made on this bomb ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

The movie was ok, but sure did drag. I would have to give it a 2.5/5. The video was definitely reference and felt the DTS HD MA 5.1 track was sufficient. The movie was sort of predictable though. At times I doubted my hypothesis, but it turns out I was right from the get go. Kind of ruined it for me a little. This could have been a very good movie.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:57 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
I would agree with Lee on the Audio/Video ratings, but I actually enjoyed the movie. It wasn't perfect by any means but i still thought it was pretty good.

Jason
Good to hear im looking forward to watch this.

Frank
Old 03-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Like pretty much every other Holywood remake(there are exceptions, of course)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I was looking forward to seeing this too. The high rating is confusing if you don't read the actual review, which I have been doing lately. It's funny though... the title is "The Tourist" and what do we usually think of when we hear the word "tourist"?

Could it be that routine touristy stuff that all 'tourists' usually do? (a film like 'other' films)

I'll still rent it, and probably enjoy it.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Hey!
I saw it in a good NYC theater with a fine print. The Blu-Ray is very sharp, equal to the theatrical print and does justice to Ms. Jolie and Venice. Why do I own this movie on Blu-Ray? Simple, when a movie gets shellacked by critics, your expectations are so low that you can't help liking it. "The Tourist" is glamorous, star studded and a lot of fun. "Red Riding Hood" is a new movie that got panned, but has some wonderful scenes that will make it a great Blu-Ray.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 554
I got The Tourist as an in store exchange at my neighborhood BB this morning and watched it this evening. My impressions are similar to those of our reviewer, Lee Weber.

I thought the film was beautiful to look at, sometimes remarkably so, the video was demonstration quality. The audio was excellent, too, but fell a little short of being demonstration quality.

Now to the film. Before I started to watch The Tourist, I checked IMDb and some of the critics and was worried about it. After watching if for myself, though, it wasn't too bad. It is well worth the 100 minites or so it takes to watch for those willing to suspend disbelief and just let Angelina Jolie's transcendent beauty and Johnny Depp's weird charisma sweep them along. Marginally recommended as long as you don't expect too much. 6 Stars out of 10
Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 PM
CIH USER

I should recieve my copy this Sat night. Big fan of Depp and adore jolie. I think I will like it.

Frank
Old 03-24-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Now to the film. Before I started to watch The Tourist, I checked IMDb and some of the critics and was worried about it. After watching if for myself, though, it wasn't too bad. It is well worth the 100 minites or so it takes to watch for those willing to suspend disbelief and just let Angelina Jolie's transcendent beauty and Johnny Depp's weird charisma sweep them along. Marginally recommended as long as you don't expect too much. 6 Stars out of 10

gwsat's "Review in One Paragraph". Pretty much the way we saw it. Wife gave it 7/10.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 03-26-2011, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

'Anthony Zimmer' was pretty bad too.

R
Old 03-26-2011, 07:58 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post

I'll still rent it, and probably enjoy it.

Im watching it tonight Im sure I will.

Frank
Old 03-26-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Im watching it tonight Im sure I will.

I think you will find that The Tourist is worth your time. Like most BDs, if you have a good HT system, as you do, you will enjoy it just as much in your home as you would in a movie theater. It looks great, sounds good, and, thank to his megawatt stars, is kind of fun.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

There is one significant difference: the plot in Anthony Zimmer isn't given away...
Hollywood remakes hardly ever come close to the originals. This one not being an exception.

Diogen.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:13 AM
CIH USER

I actually enjoyed this movie, it was fun to watch. I could watch it again, not straight away but in a year.

Angelina is stunning. Shes definitely up there with all the stunning actresses of our time.

Frank
Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I actually enjoyed this movie, it was fun to watch. I could watch it again, not straight away but in a year.

Angelina is stunning. Shes definitely up there with all the stunning actresses of our time.

Jolie is a living example of Drop Dead Gorgeous and she is as graceful as a panther. To put it mildly, the lady is sexy. Because of her presence if for no other reason, I might someday watch The Tourist again, too.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 PM

I rather enjoyed this movie although I am sure people that are looking for more of an action film in the vein of the Bourne Trilogy are going to be disappointed.

The humor is wry and subdued but works well within the films limited boundaries.

The cinematography is outstanding, the same man that shot The Talented Mr. Ripley has used his same style for this film and the film looks outstanding on Blu-Ray.

Steven Berkoff as the villain is given the best role of all the actors to play and he makes the best of it, I remember he was quite good years ago as General Orlov in Octopussy.

Definitely worth a view for those on the fence about it.

Tags
The Tourist Blu Ray
Gear in this thread