Feature running time: 100 minutes
Genre: Family/Animation

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): DTS-HD 7.1, French/Spanish DTS-HD 7.1 High Resolution
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Voices of: Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi, Brad Garrett, Donna Murphy, Ron Perlman, Richard Kiel, M.C. Gainey
Directed by: Nathan Greno, Bryon Howard
Music by: Alan Menken
Written by: Dan Fogelman - Based on the Brothers Grimm fairytale
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 29, 2011

"They're taking adventure to new lengths"

Film Synopsis:

When the kingdom's most wantedand most charmingbandit Flynn Rider (voice of ZACHARY LEVI) hides out in a mysterious tower, he's taken hostage by Rapunzel (voice of MANDY MOORE), a beautiful and feisty tower-bound teen with 70 feet of magical, golden hair. Flynn's curious captor, who's looking for her ticket out of the tower she's been locked away in for years, strikes a deal with the handsome thief, and the unlikely duo sets off on an action-packed escapade, complete with a super-cop horse, an overprotective chameleon and a gruff gang of pub thugs. Tangled is a story of adventure, heart, humor and hairlots of hair.

My Take:

Tangled is Disney's 50th animated feature. Such a milestone should be represented by a film capable of upholding the tradition of family entertainment that has been passed down throughout the seventy plus years since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was released in 1937. Tangled may not be of the five star ilk of Snow White or many of the other classic animated features that have come from Disney over the years but good old fashioned family entertainment it is indeed. It puts a fresh spin on The Brothers Grimm fairytale of Repunzel, the story of the girl in the tower with the ethereal voice and long magical hair. In this adaptation the story begins with the pregnant queen of a faraway kingdom falling gravely ill. Her guards, go in search of a magical healing flower, that was used for centuries by Gothel, an elderly woman, to stay young. They stumble upon it when Gothel accidentally leaves it without its camouflage. The flower heals the queen and she gives birth to a green eyed golden haired girl, Rapunzel. Gothel learns that Rapunzel's golden hair retains the flower's healing abilities, but if cut, turns brown and loses it magical power. Gothel kidnaps and isolates the child in a camouflaged forest tower, raising her as her own daughter. However, every year on Rapunzel's birthday, the heart broken king and queen send thousands of sky lanterns into the night sky longing for their lost princess' return. Rapunzel dreams of one day seeing the lanterns but Gothel's stories of the dangers that await outside the protection of the tower dissuade her, that is until Flynn Rider stumbles upon her tower. Flynn is a thief who is on the run after he and twin brother cohorts the Stabbington brothers, steal a precious crown from the royal palace. After Flynn makes his way inside he is met by Repunzel wielding a rather dangerous cooking implement. After an unusual introduction Rapunzel strikes a deal with the charming thief to act as her guide to travel to the place where the floating lights come from. Venturing out into the world Rapunzel is about to embark on a journey of discovery the likes of which she never imagined.

This is cute, funny and adventurous animated Disney film that features some modern themed humor, a typically heartwarming story and a cache of entertaining characters. Rapunzel and Flynn get the lion's share of screen time and watching them interact especially early one is priceless. The entire crew from the Snuggly Duckling Tavern make the most of their limited but rewarding moments and Maximus the horse and Pasqual the chameleon never utter a word but manage to steal nearly every scene they are in. As we have come to expect from Disney there is a variety of music set pieces featured in the story. I can't say that all had my toes tapping but I really enjoyed the I've got a dream number. It is set in Snuggly Duckling Tavern and features a host of 18th Century biker types who initially begin hard as nails but burst into song after hearing of Rapunzel's dream of seeing the lanterns. The script is wonderfully balanced and offers up a little romance, drama, action and perfectly integrated humor. The beautifully crafted digital imagery lends to the entertainment value and the cast as you might expect is well placed. Moore and Levi are splendid in the lead roles while capably strong supporting performances come from Brad Garrett and Donna Murphy. Being a big kid at heart I love the adventurous escapism of fairytales and Disney has a knack for engaging storytelling and endearing characters. There is always something memorable to take away from them which I am sure is something that Walt himself aspired to. Watching Tangled in 3D enlivened the experience and capped off a marvelously entertaining animated film that the whole family can enjoy.

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for all audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Tangled comes to Blu-ray from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.5 Mbps.

This is beautifully crafted digital animation that felt reminiscent of the hand drawn Disney films of yesteryear. Images are awash with lustrous and slightly oversaturated hues that are wonderfully diverse and make for visually engaging eye candy. Greens are particularly vivid with visible gradational stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Each of the characters has distinctive physical qualities that are attributable to the color of their clothing, hair, eyes, or skin. The video is immaculately resolved with pristine quality and fine minutia that shows strict attention to detail. The facial features of the various characters have a smooth but lifelike quality that allows them to display a varied range of emotions. Contrast and black levels strike a great balance as whites are bright, detailed and punchy while blacks exhibit discernible depth and dynamic range but fall short of the richest, inkiest levels I have seen from the best animated features available on Blu-ray. That is a decidedly minor quibble in this resplendent, polished, and beautifully rendered Blu-ray presentation that looks fabulous on my large front projection display.

The soundtrack for this film is not the type that contains powerful low frequency transients or extended dynamics. Its strengths lie in its attention to detail and beautifully crafted music and the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio handles it superbly. Alan Menken's music is the centerpiece of the surround mix and features well articulated instrumentation and smooth integration of the vocal performances and sound effects to create an involving surround experience. Dialogue is definitively authoritative with excellent clarity and room penetration through the center channel. Off camera directional cues and panning sequences are spot on which help create a believable and stable sound stage. The surrounds are actively engaged either in support of the music or to handle the films associated sound effects. Low frequency effects are not subterranean but there is ample bass response present where appropriate. I was impressed with the amount of subtle nuance that is clearly audible even during busier sequences. I found this to be a well balanced and pleasing surround mix that accented this wonderful animated family film.

3D Quality: 96

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Tangled 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded 3D video that has an average bitrate of 26/15 Mbps.

Knowing Disney I had high hopes for this 3D presentation and of course I wasn't disappointed. I must admit that being bombarded with gimmicky in your face effects is something that I find quickly wears off the novelty of 3D. That isn't to suggest that I don't occasionally enjoy the feeling of flinching when objects are hurled from the screen. I much prefer to view 3D that takes advantage of the depth and dimension that can bring images onscreen to life in a visually involving and natural way. Tangled incorporates its share of fun pop out of the screen 3D however its implementation isn't excessively over the top. This is a stellar 3D presentation that features superlative onscreen dimensional correlation. The sequence at the street fair where Rapunzel and Flynn arrive and later dance amid the people looks great. Textures abound as the richness of the digitally created objects onscreen are incredibly nuanced and lifelike regardless of their placement within the frame. Detail is impeccable as the video retains a high level of clarity that is enhanced by the bolstered reproduction of color. There are many noteworthy sequences throughout the presentation. Here are a few that stood out: The sequence that features the lanterns rising into the night sky as Repunzel and Flynn sit in the canoe on the lake, a butterfly flies into the frame (actually seeming to fly from the room into the screen) from the left toward Flynn as he lays sleeping on the ground, the hovering bubbles that appear in the air as Flynn and Repunzel are submerged in the underwater cavern. This isn't an effects laden spectacle however there are enough floating, flying and screen popping objects to keep 3D zealots interested. As for me, this is 3D entertainment that brought a smile to my face.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• 3D Blu-ray version of Tangled

• Disc 2:

• 2D Blu-ray version of Tangled

• (HD) 3 deleted scenes with filmmaker introduction

• (HD) Original storybook openings (2 versions) with filmmaker introduction

• (HD) 50th Disney animated feature countdown - 2 minutes

• (HD) Extended songs - When will my life begin & Mother knows best

• (HD) Untangled: The making of a fairytale - A behind the scenes exploration with Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi (12 minutes)

• (HD) Tangled teasers - A collection of the most unique and quirky commercials made for the theatrical release of Tangled. Some are spoofs based off of infomercials and/or breaking news, some are teasers and others are simply just funny filmstrips.

• Disc 3:

• Bonus DVD of Tangled

• Disc 4:

• Digital Copy of Tangled

Final Thoughts:

Tangled is Disney's 50th animated feature. Such a milestone should be represented by a film capable of upholding the tradition of family entertainment that has been passed down throughout the seventy plus years since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was released in 1937. Tangled may not be of the five star ilk of classic Disney animated features however it is a thoroughly entertaining and well conceived animated film that makes for top notch family fun. It makes its 3D Blu-ray debut in this four disc combo pack and features superlative video quality, excellent DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 channel sound and a decent supplemental offering that includes a brief look behind the scenes, a countdown of all 50 Disney animated features, and an entertaining assortment of Tangled Teasers. Add to that a bonus DVD and Digital Copy of Tangled and this is a well rounded offering that comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
JVC PK-AG1 3D Glasses
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great review Ralph. We took our 2.5 year old daughter to see this on Christmas Day, and then again last week, and she absolutely loves it. It's nice because we felt fully entertained, but without the "implied" mature content that the studios have typically embedded to keep adults intrigued in these kid movies.
post #3 of 36 Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
very good to hear, this sounds like a winner. My five year old has been asking about this for a while now.

post #4 of 36 Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM

Liked: 19
Thanks for another great review Ralph.

My sister and her family came from out of state and stayed with me for Christmas. Taking my 3 year old niece to this was my gift to her (she's into anything princess). Of course her three older brothers wanted to go as well.

So single uncle with four kids in tow all under the age of 10 to see Tangled. I'm sure it was an interesting sight.

Very enjoyable movie and even the boys liked it.

Already pre-ordered a copy and it will be sent to my sister. Last time I talked to my niece on the phone she asked when I was going to take her to another princess movie. Kind of hard to deny that request.

Looking forward to your review of Tron Legacy.
post #5 of 36 Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxfj View Post

Thanks for another great review Ralph.

My sister and her family came from out of state and stayed with me for Christmas. Taking my 3 year old niece to this was my gift to her (she's into anything princess). Of course her three older brothers wanted to go as well.

So single uncle with four kids in tow all under the age of 10 to see Tangled. I'm sure it was an interesting sight.

Very enjoyable movie and even the boys liked it.

Already pre-ordered a copy and it will be sent to my sister. Last time I talked to my niece on the phone she asked when I was going to take her to another princess movie. Kind of hard to deny that request.

Looking forward to your review of Tron Legacy.

Greetings,

Great stuff.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it even more in Blu..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #6 of 36 Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 99
To 3D or not to 3D? I don't have a 3D display yet, but the 3D blu-ray package sure is tempting, since it has the 2D movie and would prevent me from double-dipping once I have a 3D display. Man, am I kicking myself for not getting this in December when there was a coupon!! I'm still hating myself for not doing the same with the Iron Man blu-ray package--I didn't have blu-ray yet so I bought the DVD-only and ended up getting a blu-ray equipped home theater set-up on a whim right after.
post #7 of 36 Old 03-21-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Really enjoyed watching this movie. It has that aura of Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty theme to it almost.

Great film for the whole family that's not to be missed!

Cheers
post #8 of 36 Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 417
2D is fine for me.

As 7.1 mixes go, I'd have to say that "Megamind" was a lot more aggressive in using the full 360-degree sound-scape than any of the Disney 7.1 mixes so far. Kinda disappointing.

The champ of 7.1 audio is still IMHO "Hell Boy 2."

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #9 of 36 Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

I'm looking forward to picking up my copy next week.

Live/PS3: NovembersChopin
post #10 of 36 Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Looks like Disney is really nailing down the 3D pretty well. I am excited to hear about how well Tron Legacy will be in 3D. Hopefully Ralph or Lee will be covering the review for it. I may have to purchase that one if it gets a good review.
post #11 of 36 Old 03-22-2011, 12:59 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

2D is fine for me.

Same!!

Frank

post #12 of 36 Old 03-22-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Ask my girls if it is a five star. Definately an animated feature aimed at girls and a must buy on day one (I am the only guy in my house).
post #13 of 36 Old 03-22-2011, 06:16 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

Ask my girls if it is a five star. Definately an animated feature aimed at girls and a must buy on day one (I am the only guy in my house).

My daughter asked for it also but im guilty too im a sucker for animation films.

Frank

post #14 of 36 Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Every person in my house has asked when this comes out. For me, 3D is the only way to go. Disney has been brilliant in their 3D presentations thus far. Thanks, Ralph!
post #15 of 36 Old 03-22-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Hopefully Ralph or Lee will be covering the review for it. I may have to purchase that one if it gets a good review.

Ralph will be doing the review as stated on his other previous thread. Being Disney i'm hopefully this should score somewhere in the 90+'s?
post #16 of 36 Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My wife and I absolutely loved this movie. We avoided seeing it in theaters mainly because of the horrible trailers (with that Pink song) that made it seem like it would be too "pop culturey".
But the reviews were good, and we ended up going on one boring Saturday afternoon a few weeks after release. Very glad we did. The songs weren't quite as good as the classics (like Lion King), but they weren't bad by any means (better than Princess and the Frog at least).
The floating lantern scene was one of the most beautiful scenes of any movie in recent memory....I can't wait to see it at home on Bluray!
post #17 of 36 Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 AM

Our family loved this movie! I sprung for the three disc version as I can keep the 2D Blu, give the DVD to my Mom, and give the 3D to my in-laws! Works out perfectly!

My favorite scenes were the ones right after she leaves the tower, but there is really a lot to like about the whole movie.

I was surprised this didn't make it into the Oscar animated race.
post #18 of 36 Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 AM

I took my 5 year old daughter to see this. I'm really suprised at your review of the story line. I think it deserves 5 stars.

This was by far one of the best Disney movies I have ever seen. Beautiful story, funny, entertaining, heartwarming.

I enjoyed this more than any Pixar film.
post #19 of 36 Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Thanks Ralph this will be my first 3D blu-ray.
post #20 of 36 Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post

I took my 5 year old daughter to see this. I'm really suprised at your review of the story line. I think it deserves 5 stars.

This was by far one of the best Disney movies I have ever seen. Beautiful story, funny, entertaining, heartwarming.

I enjoyed this more than any Pixar film.

I haev to agree. Although I saw it with my 2.5-yr-old daughter sitting on my lap in the theater, watching both the movie and her being tottally engrossed in it, so I might be biased.
post #21 of 36 Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Awesome review Ralph. Keep up the good work!
post #22 of 36 Old 03-28-2011, 10:21 PM

I have to say the song is not as strong as the lion king. but story wise it's best in my memory of the cartoon animated movie,including the lion king。 and No, i don't like any of Pixar movie.
post #23 of 36 Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I found the7.1 soundtrack engaging but quite average. Little rear sound info that I would normally expect in this type of film. Like Ralph mentioned, nothing aggressive at all here.

Nice review.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #24 of 36 Old 03-30-2011, 06:59 AM

I saw this in the theater in both 3D and 2D. The 3D was utilized quite well and subtly throughout the movie, but I have to say I enjoyed the 2D presentation more because it didn't suffer from the usual darkening, allowing the colors and textures to really shine. I'll be buying the 2D disc 'cause I don't have 3D, and I haven't even seen an HT presentation to know if home 3D suffers from the same darkening issue.

John K.
post #25 of 36 Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Got it last night and checked out a few scenes, it's definitely beautiful, but seems a bit softer than some other Disney/Pixar stuff. But if I remember, the picture was a little soft in the theater too...
Not sure if 'soft" is the right word to describe it though....

(also, I got the 3D bundle....i don't own a 3D tv, but I figured I'd future proof myself just in case)
post #26 of 36 Old 04-04-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm giving this one a shot as I love 90+ animation and excellent audio..although I don't usually like a lot of songs..like in Beauty and the Beast..but if they're good like in The Princess and the Frog..I can handle it.
The commercials totally turned me off, but after reading all the above reviews, I'll reserve a Redbox copy!.
post #27 of 36 Old 04-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I watched the Blu Ray from Netflix last night and really enjoyed it--a really fun movie with a heartwarming story. I guess Disney can make a CGI princess after all. I may buy the blu ray if the price comes down a bit--a very worthy animated film.

Bob

post #28 of 36 Old 04-06-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Don't have 3-D at home yet, but saw this in Real3D theatrically. I think it's very good for a non-Pixar film.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #29 of 36 Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 PM

Liked: 17
I went into this one with very low expectations (due largely to the way Tangled was represented in the trailers) and was pleasantly surprised to it find a very enjoyable experience. Heartwarming and hilarious, it hits all the right notes while avoiding the stupid pop culture potholes that so many of these kinds of films seem to fall back on. 2D was stunning, 3D probably would have just been distracting. Excellent film for all ages, and a suitable capper for Disney's 50th.

post #30 of 36 Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 PM

Liked: 19
Figured I'd add some other folks views on Tangled.

When my sister called and said our (87 year old) grandmother sounded like she was feeling a little blue I assured her I would take care of it. It had been a while since I had grandma over for dinner and a movie. I also invited my parents over.

I wouldn't tell anyone what the movie was going to be since I knew it might cause my father to grumble a bit. After dinner when everyone was ready to retire to the living room for the show I let them know we were going to watch Tangled and even though it's a Disney Princess movie it's not all what you think it is. I could see my dad was thinking "Rapunzel? Oh..great.."

My grandmother didn't move more than a couple of inches during the entire movie and never took her eyes off the screen. My dad was actually enjoying it and laughing from time to time.

When it was over I asked grandma what she thought and her first words were she was "completely spellbound by it" and to quote her:

"There is still hope for the world as long as we still have fairy tales".

They all very much enjoyed Tangled and my father was surprised at how good of a movie it turned to be given is initial thoughts (my hunch was correct).

I still have requests from six others to see it. Thinking I'll get them all in at once. Nice thing is I supply the movie, they all bring the food. Makes it easy for me.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Tangled Four Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page