AVSForum Blu-ray Spotlight: The Thin Red Line - Criterion Collection - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

I saw this in the original theatrical release and being able to view this anytime I want in hi-def is a joy.

When this was released I saw this of all places at a huge screen at a theater just outside Disney World. It was very well projected and I was blown away. Like you I am grateful to have this sort of quality for home viewing.

John K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegage View Post

The work is not amateurish by any definition of the word.

For you that may be true. For me it looks just like any number of commercials or TV serials on TV for the past few years. Shooting with a handheld camera cost a lot less than most other styles. Some of you seem to make a lot of assumptions. The choice to use handheld cameras may have been one of cost and had little to do with artist reasons.

I see this as no different than using two people rather than three people to do the Re mix of a sound track for a film. It was a cost cutting measure.
post #33 of 34 Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

For you that may be true. For me it looks just like any number of commercials or TV serials on TV for the past few years. Shooting with a handheld camera cost a lot less than most other styles. Some of you seem to make a lot of assumptions. The choice to use handheld cameras may have been one of cost and had little to do with artist reasons.

I see this as no different than using two people rather than three people to do the Re mix of a sound track for a film. It was a cost cutting measure.

Greetings,

The idea that handheld camera's were used as a cost cutting option is pure conjecture and certainly not consistent with a studio like Fox or a filmmaker of Malick's caliber.

I think that the difference of opinion regarding this has been effectively aired. Let's move on gentlemen..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #34 of 34 Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Wrong again, I remember your post from the recent HD disc war and I looked at your Public Profile during that period. Very little info there.

Glad you like it!! For me, Cheap = Jerky Handheld, Well Made (read expensive) = Dolly + Tracks, Cranes, Steadicam®, Jimmy Jib®, Hydropeds, etc., etc.

If you have to ask, there is no amount of words that would explain it to you.

A couple of weeks ago I completed the post on the latest sequel in a well known hollywood film franchise. i was drafted in to this as a trouble shooter to bring it back on track.

At the moment I'm standing on location next to a Jimmy Jib , there are plenty of tracks and dollies knocking about and I'm smoking and chatting with my mate "Lenny" who is one of the steadicam operators.

I'll be up a 140ft cherry picker on Monday. Directing second unit on an action sequence , supervising VFX plate photography and after that I'll be supervising the VFX completion in post . Although before that I'm off to do another action movie in Russia.

I don't keep count but I've done well over 100 films , most of them significantly high budget and I've worked with Anthony Dod Mantle twice in the last 4 years. I'd say I know at least as much about cinematography as anyone else frequenting this forum.

digital film janitor
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Thin Red Line The Criterion Collection Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page