Feature running time: 113 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Sally Hawkins, Bob Hoskins, Miranda Richardson, Geraldine James, Daniel Mays, Jamie Winstone, Andrea Riseborough, Rosamund Pike, Richard Schiff, Kenneth Cranham
Directed by: Nigel Cole
Music by: David Arnold
Written by: William Ivory
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 29, 2011

"1968. It's a man's world. But not for long"

Film Synopsis:

From the director of Calendar Girls comes this extraordinary story based on true events. Dagenham, England 1968. At the town's local Ford automobile plant, Rita O'Grady (Golden Globe® winner Sally Hawkins) is one of only 187 women in a workforce of 55,000 men. Facing overwhelming opposition in this man's world, Rita rallies her female co-workers to fight for equal pay a stand that defies the corporate status quo, threatens her marriage, and ultimately exacts a tragic toll. But with the support of the shop's steward (Golden Globe® winner Bob Hoskins) and the government's Employment Secretary (two-time Golden Globe® winner Miranda Richardson), the women become the sensation of the nation and the catalyst for a profound turning point in time.

My Take:

I generally summarize the film as part of My Take but found the synopsis included in the press release to be excellent. It contains a perfect snapshot of the film so I decided to use it:

Set against the backdrop of the late 1960's, Made in Dagenham is based on a true story about a group of spirited women who joined forces, took a stand for what was right, and, in doing so, found their own inner strength. Although far from the Swinging Sixties of Carnaby Street, life to the women of Dagenham is tinged with the sounds and sights of the optimistic era, heard on their radios and seen on their TV sets. Rita O'Grady (Sally Hawkins) reflects the upbeat era, along with her friends and co-workers at the city's Ford Motor Factory - Sandra, Eileen, Brenda, Monica, and Connie - who laugh in the face of their poor working conditions. Lisa (Rosamund Pike) is a fiercely intelligent Cambridge-educated woman who feels a bit trapped, tending to the home with a husband who suggests she keep her opinions to herself. She may not live in the same world as the other women, but she shares their views. No one thought the revolution would come to Dagenham, until one day, it did. Rita, who primarily sees herself as a wife and mother, is coerced into attending a meeting with shop steward Connie, sympathetic union representative Albert (Bob Hoskins) and Peter Hopkins, Ford's Head of Industrial Relations. What she expects to be simply a day out of work, complete with free lunch, turns into much more when she and her colleagues become enraged by the lack of respect shown in the meeting to the women employees. With humor, common sense and courage Rita and the other women take on their bosses, an increasingly belligerent local community and finally the government, as their intelligence and unpredictability proves to be a match for any of their male opponents. Daring to stand up and push boundaries, the women changed a system that no one wanted to admit was broken.

I thoroughly enjoyed Made in Dagenham. While it is based on actual events some of the details and primary characters are fictional. I don't have a problem with that especially if it spices up the story a bit. The plot and characters are fleshed out well which garners an enriching connection to both. Rita is the heart and soul of the story and serves as the catalyst for these pioneering women who took a firm stance in support of feminism but in reality more so to what ultimately proved to be about right and wrong. Filled with colorful characters and an engaging subject this is an inspirational, emotional, and poignant film that features rousing performances from a stellar ensemble cast. Sally Hawkins, Bob Hoskins, and Miranda Richardson are equally deserving of praise. Richardson's portrayal of straight talking Secretary of State for Employment, Barbara Castle is a pleasure to watch. Honorable mention goes out to Daniel Mays as Rita's affable, well intentioned and affected husband Eddie, and Geraldine James as her best friend, co-worker and stifled wife Connie. Made in Dagenham strikes (pun intended) all the right chords and is definitely time well spent.

Parental Guide:

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Made in Dagenham comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 3.9 Mbps.

This is a stylized high definition video presentation that utilizes a muted level of chroma that works toward conveying the time period, theme and locations depicted in the story. Primary colors like blue and red are vividly reproduced and pop against the sepia tones and darker colors used in the sets and costumes. All are cleanly rendered cleanly with natural looking texture and delineation. The photography doesn't lend the video to glossy, eye catching definition however images are detailed and sharp which provides appreciable depth and dimension. Close ups reveal lucid subtle nuance that allows the pores, stubble, peach fuzzy hair and subtle skin variation among the cast to be distinguishable. This also applies to the surface structure of objects and clothing within the frame. Black levels and contrast are spot on with estimable detail visible within dark backgrounds and shadows. Grain is present but never intrusive as the video had a clean/pristine quality that looked great.

This is a dialogue driven film however the mix utilizes the entire surround platform to help drive the story. This is primarily done via the wonderful selection of period music which is not overt in its message but expresses the theme of the film quite well. Directional sounds are distinctive across the front soundstage with dialogue planted firmly in the center channel. Ambient surround activity is frequent and provides an appreciable level of envelopment that sounds great. Clarity and detail are excellent which enables even low level sounds within the recording are detectable. While there are no extended low frequencies associated with the soundtrack it does provide estimable bass response where appropriate.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by director Nigel Cole

• The making of Made in Dagenham - 13 minute featurette

• 8 deleted scenes with play all option

• Outtakes - 2 minutes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer
attachment.php?attachmentid=206348&d=1300895352

Final Thoughts:

Based on the true story of the women of Dagenham England who stood up to Ford Motor Company in 1968 by demanding respect as well as equal pay. Filled with colorful characters and enriching levity, mired in an engaging subject, this is an inspirational, emotional, and poignant film that features rousing performances from a stellar ensemble cast, lead by Sally Hawkins, Bob Hoskins and Miranda Richardson. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment brings it to Blu-ray Disc in a technically strong offering that features great looking high definition video and satisfying lossless surround sound. The small cache of bonus features include a director commentary, a behind the scenes featurette that offers personal insights from the cast and crew, deleted scenes and a few outtakes. Made in Dagenham is a pitch perfect docudrama that is definitely recommended viewing. Toss it in your rental queue and take it for a spin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-23-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great write up Ralph. Only saw the trailer on this as well as some bits and pieces and just wasn't grabbing me enough.

After reading this review this is definintely a check out. Interestingly enough this was a true story as well.

Cheers
post #3 of 8 Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Ralph -- Although I had never heard of Made in Dagenham, I have added it to my BB queue. I expect that I will like it too because, as you know, I usually agree with your take on a film.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 PM

Thanks Ralph, I just received this from Netflix, will be watching this weekend
post #5 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Watched this over the weekend and I have to agree with your take Ralph, time well spent.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kuenster View Post

Watched this over the weekend and I have to agree with your take Ralph, time well spent.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Al. Thanks for taking the time to post back.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 8 Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 495
I watched Made in Dagenham this evening and thought it was excellent. I can't remember the last time I saw a finer ensemble cast. Sally Hawkins gave a moving performance as the women's union leader, Rita O'Grady. She was tough and driven but also feminine and charming. Unsurprisingly, Miranda Richardson, as Barbara Castle, and Bob Hoskins, as Albert Passingham were also terrific. But I was nearly blown away by the performance of the talented and luminously beautiful Rosamund Pike who played Lisa Hopkins, the wife of a Ford executive who was also Rita's friend. Lisa came from a different world than Rita but they were sisters under the skin and that was fun.

I also thought the crosscurrents created by the simple justice of the women wanting equal pay for equal work and the men in the union and ford's management looking out for Number One was fascinating.

The video and audio of the film were both just fine but not particularly memorable. The sound balance required me to add 5dB to the volume to raise the dialog to a comfortable listening level. I can't say how much of that was owed to the balance used by the sound engineers and how much to the inherent difficulty I had trying to understand Dagenham working class accents.

Made in Dagenham is not a film I would want to buy but it was a dandy rental, well worth the less than two hours it took to watch. 7 Stars out of 10.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched Made in Dagenham this evening and thought it was excellent. I can't remember the last time I saw a finer ensemble cast. Sally Hawkins gave a moving performance as the women's union leader, Rita O'Grady. She was tough and driven but also feminine and charming. Unsurprisingly, Miranda Richardson, as Barbara Castle, and Bob Hoskins, as Albert Passingham were also terrific. But I was nearly blown away by the performance of the talented and luminously beautiful Rosamund Pike who played Lisa Hopkins, the wife of a Ford executive who was also Rita's friend. Lisa came from a different world than Rita but they were sisters under the skin and that was fun.

I also thought the crosscurrents created by the simple justice of the women wanting equal pay for equal work and the men in the union and ford's management looking out for Number One was fascinating.

The video and audio of the film were both just fine but not particularly memorable. The sound balance required me to add 5dB to the volume to raise the dialog to a comfortable listening level. I can't say how much of that was owed to the balance used by the sound engineers and how much to the inherent difficulty I had trying to understand Dagenham working class accents.

Made in Dagenham is not a film I would want to buy but it was a dandy rental, well worth the less than two hours it took to watch. 7 Stars out of 10.

Greetings,

Thanks for posting your impressions gwsat. I am glad that you enjoyed this one as well..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Made In Dagenham Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Made by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page