Tron/Tron: Legacy 3D (Blu-ray) 2 Movie Collection - Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 115 Old 04-07-2011, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcessive View Post
Anyone get speaker pops throughout the DTS Master track? You didn't hear them when the action was going but when things got going I could hear little pops all through the movie.
Greetings,

There were no problems with the audio on either the 2D or 3D versions during my evaluation.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 115 Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Loved the soundtrack. LFE was much better integrated compared to "Inception". This soundtrack will test your subwoofers mettle.

Vinod
post #63 of 115 Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Loved the soundtrack. LFE was much better integrated compared to "Inception". This soundtrack will test your subwoofers mettle.

I actually thought it was a tad over-done in spots, but then I do run my subs a little hot.
post #64 of 115 Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I have the OOP DVD of the 1st film - while I'm sure the BD remaster is great - I can live with "old school" TRON on the old school format for now.

Well, thanks to some Reward Zone points & a release day sale @ Best Buy (get the 2 disc LEGACY BD + the orignal film on 2 disc BD = save $5), I ended up w/ both TRON films on BD for quite a bit less than the 3D mega set. No digital copy, but so be it.

LEGACY on a 2nd viewing found me enjoying the overall film even more , but I think the BD does emphasize the "plastic-ness" of the deaged Flynn/CLU. Not a major distraction, but certainly more noticeable than when I saw it theatrically in 3D. While the wife remembers seeing the original years ago (and recalled it was kind of "lame"), she admittedly enjoyed LEGACY - although I needed to occasionally give her some info on stuff relating to the original.

She did figure that the inclusion of a relatively known actor (Cillian Murphy) in what was a seeminly tossed off reference to the original Dillinger meant that Dillinger Jr. will be back in the now all-but-totally-confirmed TRON 3 in the works. "Hmm...son of the original baddie...think we have the 3rd movie's villian lined up?"

My prediction? Murphy returns in a much larger role - perhaps as "Sark 2.0" inside the Grid.

BD remastering has not made the original a "better" movie, but at the same time it's rather quaint geek charm has never looked or sounded better. Pretty impressed w/ the HD remaster of TRON. Certainly a noticable improvement over the OOP 20th anniversary DVD.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #65 of 115 Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

She did figure that the inclusion of a relatively known actor (Cillian Murphy) in what was a seeminly tossed off reference to the original Dillinger meant that Dillinger Jr. will be back in the now all-but-totally-confirmed TRON 3 in the works. "Hmm...son of the original baddie...think we have the 3rd movie's villian lined up?"

My prediction? Murphy returns in a much larger role - perhaps as "Sark 2.0" inside the Grid.

Did you check out the easter eggs? After the credits a "high score" screen appears with multiple codes to enter. There's one that foreshadows your theory quite nicely.

post #66 of 115 Old 04-07-2011, 11:37 AM

Liked: 10
I waited 28 years for TRON : Legacy and it exceeded all my expectations. I still can not believe they made a sequel (not a remake) to a modestly successful, mostly forgotten movie. For me it was the movie that inspired me to seriously pursue a career in Computer Science, and eventually go to NYIT (where some of the animation was done). The original movie, with all its flaws, was still a great achievement in its time, and the story really struck a cord with me. I own an original TRON arcade game, and still play it from time to time, so yes I am a huge fan.

The new film took the whole idea of TRON to a new level, while still serving the original premise. The story was solid (a few minor plot holes), the acting was great, and the effects were astounding. The cool factor went up about 5 notches, and they really captured the spirit of the original grid world. The soundtrack by Daft Punk was some of the best electronic beats I have heard in years, and fit the movie perfectly. They did fan service and made a very entertaining and exciting film. It also already set up a possible sequel story line, that I can only hope gets made sometime in the future.

This is the first 3D film I have seen that actually makes use of the technology to draw you into the world. The real world parts in the beginning are not in 3D, just like the real world parts were B&W in the Wizard of OZ. I know the reviewer was annoyed by that a bit, but it was the same way in the theater. I just ordered the ridiculously overpriced super 5 disc edition of TRON : Legacy with the Identity Disc for $70. It may be the one film that gets me to buy a 3D TV system (already have a LG BD670 3D Bluray player). I have been reading up on the Passive 3D TV technology here on the AVS Forum, and I may just go for one.

Thank You
Chris Feehan
501st\ECG - TK6744
http://www.curemode.com
post #67 of 115 Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CureMode View Post

I waited 28 years for TRON : Legacy and it exceeded all my expectations. I still can not believe they made a sequel (not a remake) to a modestly successful, mostly forgotten movie. For me it was the movie that inspired me to seriously pursue a career in Computer Science, and eventually go to NYIT (where some of the animation was done). The original movie, with all its flaws, was still a great achievement in its time, and the story really struck a cord with me. I own an original TRON arcade game, and still play it from time to time, so yes I am a huge fan.

The new film took the whole idea of TRON to a new level, while still serving the original premise. The story was solid (a few minor plot holes), the acting was great, and the effects were astounding. The cool factor went up about 5 notches, and they really captured the spirit of the original grid world. The soundtrack by Daft Punk was some of the best electronic beats I have heard in years, and fit the movie perfectly. They did fan service and made a very entertaining and exciting film. It also already set up a possible sequel story line, that I can only hope gets made sometime in the future.

This is the first 3D film I have seen that actually makes use of the technology to draw you into the world. The real world parts in the beginning are not in 3D, just like the real world parts were B&W in the Wizard of OZ. I know the reviewer was annoyed by that a bit, but it was the same way in the theater. I just ordered the ridiculously overpriced super 5 disc edition of TRON : Legacy with the Identity Disc for $70. It may be the one film that gets me to buy a 3D TV system (already have a LG BD670 3D Bluray player). I have been reading up on the Passive 3D TV technology here on the AVS Forum, and I may just go for one.

Greetings,

Great stuff CureMode...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #68 of 115 Old 04-07-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell1 View Post
does anyone else have grain in their Blu-Ray copy of Tron:Legacy (2D version)?
I just purchased the Tron Legacy two disk (BD/DVD) bundle from Target. I also notice some grain/noise on the bd, so much so that I returned the first disk and exchanged it for another copy which suffers from the same issues. I have the settings on my television dialed in but I find that I have to bring the sharpness down considerably to get rid of the grain.
For comparison purposes I popped in the Speed Racer BD, and the video quality of that BD totally puts Tron Legacy to shame.
I've noticed others don't see this grain, all I can say is I obsess over video quality issues and I am sure that this problem is inherent in the conversion and not in my television or disk manufacturing, as I have purchased two separate copies.
post #69 of 115 Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I don't usually like to watch a film like this via my Roku box (amazon HD streaming), but last night I just got an itch to check it out. Critics were mixed on this film, so when I saw Ralph's review I figured it might appeal to me more than I first thought. Well, as always, Ralph was right on the money. Three stars was just about right, and I found myself liking this ride just fine. The story maintained my interest for the entire 2 hours, the special effects were top notch, and the soundtrack was badass! I have to give props to Amazon, too....the PQ via the Roku was surprisingly good on my Mitsubishi 4900 projector. A step down from BD, of course, but still looked more than acceptable. I'd rent films this way again, for sure.

Nice job, Ralph!

PS. I definitely agree with those of you who mentioned Quorra (Olivia Wilde)....she was lookin' HOT!!
post #70 of 115 Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The question might have been asked already!! but is Legacy a decent watch for someone who did not see the original movie as far as plot.

I had opportunity to see the original back in 1983 and then it seemed to disappear but I am sure most of the people coming to movie night will not have seen it. Thanks!!!
post #71 of 115 Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

The question might have been asked already!! but is Legacy a decent watch for someone who did not see the original movie as far as plot.

I had opportunity to see the original back in 1983 and then it seemed to disappear but I am sure most of the people coming to movie night will not have seen it. Thanks!!!

Yep, you'll be fine.
post #72 of 115 Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are numerous nods to the original that are there mainly for fans to catch. And I think that the more familiar one is w/ the original, helps make LEGACY a "better" the overall movie. But enough backstory is given to mostly cover those unfamiliar w/ the 1st.

If nothing else.....great eye/ear candy! This one will, should you get around to it, make the original seem rather quaint by comparison. That said, "quaint" has likely never looked better than on the original TRON BD that is also available.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #73 of 115 Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

I did not watch the 1983 Tron back then. But I really enjoyed Legacy on Bluray.
I just watched the orginal 1983 Tron. It looked somewhat cartoon like compaired to todays special effects on Legacy and the audio was Great on my surround system. My subs got a good work out as did my rear surround speakers.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100
post #74 of 115 Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Top notch video and audio, but I thought the film was completely lacking.

I consider the audio and video demo quality, but would never find myself watching the movie again.
post #75 of 115 Old 04-08-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Was a fan of the original when I was a kid but haven't watched it in years. Just finished Legacy and found it amazing. Loved every part of it, and will watch it many many more times. It sounded so amazing that my wife finally watched a movie with me all the way through without ever asking me to turn it down!
post #76 of 115 Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Liked: 17
Pretty cool how so many people have had their wives/girlfriends enjoy Legacy as much as (if not more than) they did! Really says a lot about what's going on beneath this film's surface.

post #77 of 115 Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have a quick question about Tron Classic.

I just watched it and it looked great, in fact I would say too great for a near 30 year old film.

I'm assuming they took the original CGI and rerendered it at 1080p? Is that correct?

I thought they would just remaster an old print of Tron, but it looks so perfect I would bet they rerendered the CGI in 1080p, which I find simply amazing.
post #78 of 115 Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The soundtrack in Legacy is spectacular! Video was relatively good but no reference, there was a little bit of compression....
The original tron look good for its age...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #79 of 115 Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post

I just watched it and it looked great, in fact I would say too great for a near 30 year old film.

I'm assuming they took the original CGI and rerendered it at 1080p? Is that correct?

I thought they would just remaster an old print of Tron, but it looks so perfect I would bet they rerendered the CGI in 1080p, which I find simply amazing.

http://collider.com/steve-lisberger-...astered/57205/

Interview w/ director Steven Lisberger along with links to more info.

No word on a 1080p re-rendering of FX - however, Lisberger states that during the 6 week process of remastering the film, he did make subtle changes - mainly tweaking the "glow" in many shots.

post #80 of 115 Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

http://collider.com/steve-lisberger-...astered/57205/

Interview w/ director Steven Lisberger along with links to more info.

No word on a 1080p re-rendering of FX - however, Lisberger states that during the 6 week process of remastering the film, he did make subtle changes - mainly tweaking the "glow" in many shots.

Great link, Thanks. I wondered why the orginal Tron(Verizoion HD FIOS) sounded so good on my 5.2 surround system in my small den. For a 30 year
old movie the rear surrounds had good seperation for such a old movie.
Legacy blows it away, audio/video.Great Demo Bluray so show friends my HT set up.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100
post #81 of 115 Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post

I'm not sure what the original resolution of the CGI in Tron was, but it had to have been acceptable for 35mm projection. So I'm guessing no re-rendering was required for a 1080p transfer.
post #82 of 115 Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikstormtrooper View Post

I'm not sure what the original resolution of the CGI in Tron was, but it had to have been acceptable for 35mm projection. So I'm guessing no re-rendering was required for a 1080p transfer.

The original TRON was shot in 70mm (B&W for the "filmed" stuff insdie the Grid, at least). The "glow" FX on the actor's suits & some sets/props were hand painted frame by frame by a group of Taiwanese animators.

post #83 of 115 Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

The 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is a dynamic tour de force that will test your system's limits. Dialogue is appreciably lucid through the center channel and is located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundfield. On a few occasions I had minor problems with intelligibility during active segments but it wasn't prevalent. Front/rear channel separation and imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. The siren sequence at the start of chapter five is a great example of this. As the four women strut in unison toward Sam their footsteps simultaneously close in on the listening position. The effect is pretty cool. The mix makes effective and aggressive use of the four surround channels to elongate the front soundstage and reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds of this demanding soundtrack. The listening position is submerged into a 360 degree web of sound that is sometimes riveting as it bombards the senses with a combination of well placed sound effects and musical ambience. This is a dynamically charged sound mix that is highlighted by the synth driven music of Daft Punk which is underscored by low frequency effects that provide viscerally potent impact. The action based sequences rock as the room is transformed into a three dimensional soundstage that pulsates with room energizing bass that attains room shaking levels. This is an engaging and dynamically enhanced sound design that features high level sonic detail, superb directional correlation, and rhythmically charged bass extension that is guaranteed to break your lease. If you have a system that you think is it up to the task, crank this one up to reference, and enjoy.

One of the best descriptions of the sound on Tron Legacy that I have come across. Excellent job Ralph.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #84 of 115 Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

One of the best descriptions of the sound on Tron Legacy that I have come across. Excellent job Ralph.

Greetings,

Thanks Mr. G...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #85 of 115 Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Hey, Mr. Potts you equipment is very intimidating. However, it inspires me to upgrade my entire setup. LOL
post #86 of 115 Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 AM

I must admit the audio was amazing and I was very impressed with the video as well. My wife claimed the audio was "80's", but I loved it.

I keep going back to the bike seen to demo it to myself

Film itself wasn't great, but it's worth a watch.
post #87 of 115 Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

Hey, Mr. Potts you equipment is very intimidating. However, it inspires me to upgrade my entire setup. LOL

Greetings,

That's a good thing..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #88 of 115 Old 04-17-2011, 10:03 PM

My eyes and ears absolutely loved this one! My brain on the other hand...
post #89 of 115 Old 04-17-2011, 10:12 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I was going to buy it but the video store got it first so I decided to rent it. Looking forward to finally seeing it tonight.

Frank

post #90 of 115 Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I watched it last night the pq and AQ was sensational. I ended up falling asleep 3/4 of the way, but that was due to the 10 commandments the other night. I had to rehire it so I can see the end at least.

Ralph the LFE was just amazing I throught the roof was going to drop on top of me.

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page