Tron/Tron: Legacy 3D (Blu-ray) 2 Movie Collection - Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 115 Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Ralph the LFE was just amazing I throught the roof was going to drop on top of me.
Greetings,

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
has anyone measured how low the bass frequencies are in Tron Legacy Blu-Ray?
I am assuming there are lows below 20hz in this movie
was curious if anyone had measured any numbers
post #93 of 115 Old 04-21-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
There's a whole thread in "Speakers" devoted to the sound effects and LFE on Tron Legacy. Don't know if anyone has actually measured the bass frequencies.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1327155

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #94 of 115 Old 05-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

I couldn't get into Tron when it came out all those years ago....it just looked stupid. It was on cable over the weekend, so I tried to watch it again, and yeah....still stupid.

I am interested in the new one though and will give it a rent (mostly for Olivia though!)

Finally got around to watching Tron Legacy. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. To be honest, I thought it was kind of silly at first, but the music was so good, I kept watching. By the time Olivia showed up, I was hooked.
I actually liked it enough to maybe give the original one more shot.
I am now debating whether or not to add the movie to my collection.

Very curious as to what part 3 will have in store for us.
post #95 of 115 Old 05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

has anyone measured how low the bass frequencies are in Tron Legacy Blu-Ray?
I am assuming there are lows below 20hz in this movie
was curious if anyone had measured any numbers

Yes. Check out the Master list of movies with BASS Thread ...With Waterfalls!

There is info way down to around 3hz IIRC.

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

post #96 of 115 Old 05-06-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralXTC View Post

Yes. Check out the Master list of movies with BASS Thread ...With Waterfalls!

There is info way down to around 3hz IIRC.

Good info. A more direct link is:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5511

post #97 of 115 Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Some films just resonate with me, and this was one of them. I loved it. Perhaps it was the memory of how much I liked Tron as a kid, but I was really able to get fully engaged with this film. I loved the ties to the first film, and father/son relationship/discovery. I also enjoyed the alter plot reality that much of the film setting is generated from computer code by programs which were originally created from a human. Just a fun way to look at things. The environment is so unique that it really lets you forget reality for a while. Kind of like the first time I saw one of the Star Wars and Star Trek films in the theater.

The PQ was amazing. The contrast is what really stood out. This really looks incredible on a well calibrated high contrast projector. The limited colors, alond with the deep blacks and strong glowing whites made this a real treat for the eyes. Reference for sure.

The sound quality was equally impressesive. From start to finish, very clear and dynamic and nice use of all channels.

PQ 5 out of 5, SQ 5 out of 5, Film 4.5 out of 5.

Dan
post #98 of 115 Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Enjoyed this movie quite a bit. A great escape type film that really takes you away for a few hours. "The Dude" persona really came out in the Jeff Bridges character which was great I thought The audio was off the charts awesome and IMO is the track to beat for 2011 blu releases so far. Looking forward to watching the original on blu and then Legacy back to back.

PQ was excellent as well, but one thing I did not like is the aspect change which flat out does not work on a 2.35 screen when doing the zoom method with no external VP (with an external VP, at least you could mask the overspill). The overspill when the frame opened up is distracting as it spills well over the top/bottom of the viewable area. Really wish they would have given the option of a constant aspect version like they did with Transf 2. Oh well, not a deal breaker as I bought it anyway, but I hope we dont get too many more of these variable aspect films without an option for a constant aspect version for scope users (like the film was presented in non-IMAX screens). Thanks for letting me vent a little

Have not watched the 3d version yet, but curious to check it out. All my comments were based on the 2d disc.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #99 of 115 Old 05-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Liked: 10
Yeah, this is what I pop in when I want to show off the system to someone
post #100 of 115 Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Still think they should have shot the whole thing in 3d. the whole wizard of oz thing, doesn't really work for me. Feels more like they just ran out of time and money
post #101 of 115 Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izauze View Post

Still think they should have shot the whole thing in 3d. the whole wizard of oz thing, doesn't really work for me. Feels more like they just ran out of time and money

People have really run with this idea that there wasn't any 3D in the real world parts of Tron:Legacy. It's just that MOST of the 3D was in the digital world. There were scenes in the beginning and at the end that were 3D, nothing over the top, but it was there.
post #102 of 115 Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Enjoyed this movie quite a bit. A great escape type film that really takes you away for a few hours. "The Dude" persona really came out in the Jeff Bridges character which was great I thought The audio was off the charts awesome and IMO is the track to beat for 2011 blu releases so far. Looking forward to watching the original on blu and then Legacy back to back.

PQ was excellent as well, but one thing I did not like is the aspect change which flat out does not work on a 2.35 screen when doing the zoom method with no external VP (with an external VP, at least you could mask the overspill). The overspill when the frame opened up is distracting as it spills well over the top/bottom of the viewable area. Really wish they would have given the option of a constant aspect version like they did with Transf 2. Oh well, not a deal breaker as I bought it anyway, but I hope we dont get too many more of these variable aspect films without an option for a constant aspect version for scope users (like the film was presented in non-IMAX screens). Thanks for letting me vent a little

Have not watched the 3d version yet, but curious to check it out. All my comments were based on the 2d disc.

Watched it tonight for the first time. Awesome audio and video. Looked fine-framed perfectly on our scope screen and didn't notice the Imax footage even once. We saw it in Imax 3D, and I have to say my wife and I both prefer 2.35 2D in our own HT.
post #103 of 115 Old 05-14-2011, 03:46 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Watched it tonight for the first time. Awesome audio and video. Looked fine-framed perfectly on our scope screen and didn't notice the Imax footage even once. We saw it in Imax 3D, and I have to say my wife and I both prefer 2.35 2D in our own HT.

Do you have a way to mask the overspill when the frame opens up to 1.78? I agree that it framed ver well in scope, but the overspill brings down the presentation as it is distracting. A constant aspect version (like they used in non-IMAX theaters) option like they gave us with Trans 2 would make everyone happy and they could do this through seamless branching if they wanted, or a seperate release (like the Trans 2 blu).

post #104 of 115 Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Do you have a way to mask the overspill when the frame opens up to 1.78? I agree that it framed ver well in scope, but the overspill brings down the presentation as it is distracting. A constant aspect version (like they used in non-IMAX theaters) option like they gave us with Trans 2 would make everyone happy and they could do this through seamless branching if they wanted, or a seperate release (like the Trans 2 blu).
No masking, however our system is a bit unique and this movie showed us that it works even better than I had hoped for when I designed it. We are using a Mitsubishi HC4000 in it's 2.35 mode. The screen is a Seymour Center Stage XD retractable 2.35 with a 12" black top drop and Fidelio velvet housing option. I have the projector ceiling mounted at 9' up and the screen bottom is right at 32.5" from the floor. Along with the normal offset and I'm utilizing the HC4000's vertical position option that effectively moves the lower letterbox box bar above the screen along with the upper letterbox bar. On a normal 2.35 framing the black bars are not noticeable at all. I figured that on expanded Imax scenes we would see the image on the top of the screen, however I'm happy to report we didn't see a thing. Our room is totally light controlled and painted a dark plum color as well, so that probably helps.
post #105 of 115 Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

No masking, however our system is a bit unique and this movie showed us that it works even better than I had hoped for when I designed it. We are using a Mitsubishi HC4000 in it's 2.35 mode. The screen is a Seymour Center Stage XD retractable 2.35 with a 12" black top drop and Fidelio velvet housing option. I have the projector ceiling mounted at 9' up and the screen bottom is right at 32.5" from the floor. Along with the normal offset and I'm utilizing the HC4000's vertical position option that effectively moves the lower letterbox box bar above the screen along with the upper letterbox bar. On a normal 2.35 framing the black bars are not noticeable at all. I figured that on expanded Imax scenes we would see the image on the top of the screen, however I'm happy to report we didn't see a thing. Our room is totally light controlled and painted a dark plum color as well, so that probably helps.

Thanks for the explanation and that sounds like a cool setup

Surprised you did not see ANY overspill on top though. I also am using black velvet and flat black paint and while this certainly dilutes the overspill, it is far from invisible. Black bars are never an issue though since those are completely invisible. Glad this one worked out for you though.

post #106 of 115 Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Alright,
Opinions on best "demo scene" from the movie?
I like the flying/fighting scene toward the end. Lots of surround action, IMAX aspect ratio.
post #107 of 115 Old 05-22-2011, 10:00 PM

greeting

the audio is very very powerful for me.
post #108 of 115 Old 05-23-2011, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazefrog View Post
Alright,
Opinions on best "demo scene" from the movie?
I like the flying/fighting scene toward the end. Lots of surround action, IMAX aspect ratio.
I agree... how can you tell what the aspect ratio is? The motorcycle races in the first 20 minutes was cool.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330 DH110
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100 PL-518X DL103R
post #109 of 115 Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 PM

Both of these blew me away.

Brent Tombari | Axiom Audio Expert |
Follow us on Facebook!
post #110 of 115 Old 07-09-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I recently viewed the Tron Legacy BD (non-3D version) for a second time and I have a question. Has anyone noticed an echo in the sound at the conclusion of the movie. The scene where Sam Flynn is closing up the arcade and is talking with Alan Bradley. I'm not really sure but it seems like a delay in the dialog from front to back. This is the only point in the movie where I hear this. I heard this echo the first time I watched the BD but forgot about it. Anyone?

post #111 of 115 Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 PM

Liked: 13
If only they followed Inception trend to include in extras this beautiful soundtrack in Hi-res 5.1(7.1)...
post #112 of 115 Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

If only they followed Inception trend to include in extras this beautiful soundtrack in Hi-res 5.1(7.1)...

That would have been nice, however even the standard 22 tracks (offered on the CD) would pale in comparison to the 50 tracks offered on Tron Legacy: The Complete Motion Picture Score - Bootleg. Excellent!

http://www.legalsounds.com/download-...g/album_467647

post #113 of 115 Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was hoping to get some help or input with something I noticed when I was watching the 3d blu-ray version. During the air combat scene I started to notice the sound wasnt very clear at all, almost scratchy so I checked the audio info on my ps3 and it said DTS 5.1 I know that I have seen that the audio is DTS HD 7.1 I admittedly do not know much about audio and what happens when you have a source that is 7.1 but do not have a sound system to produce it. I saw that the available sound options for English were the 7.1 and then I believe it was Dolby Digital 2.0 Could the fact that I do not have 7.1 system but did not set it for 2.0 cause the sound issues? Some background on my setup: 1st gen ps3, 55nx810, and Sony HT-SF470. I finally set the ps3 up probably to get dts hd 5.1 and dolby 5.1 earlier today. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: i later read up and learned that the ps3 does not output HD audio with 3d. Still doesnt really explain why the dts 5.1 sounded so terrible though
post #114 of 115 Old 11-26-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Well, Blockbuster bankruptcy meant I got Tron Legacy now.
Saw this on HDTV a few times, just watched it last night, so much better on Blu-ray.

The LFE was incredible, a few reference scenes.

Just one thing, the actor who played "Quorra", Olivia Wilde.
I noticed after a few scenes seemed like she had lazy eye, really, her left eye seemed to track a tad slower than the right eye.....
Has anybody noticed this before? Once I picked up on that, it kinda drove me a little crazy.....

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #115 of 115 Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Damnit, now that you mention it I never have noticed but I think it will drive me nuts knowing that it's now there! mad.gif

And if I don't notice it I have a feeling I'm going to be looking for it every time I see her in a movie!!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page