Tron/Tron: Legacy 3D (Blu-ray) 2 Movie Collection - Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 601
attachment.php?attachmentid=207024&d=1301338737
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Audio/3D Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Disney - 1982/2010
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 96 minutes/125 minutes
Genre: Sci-fi action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4), MVC
Video Aspect: 2.20:1 (Original Classic), 1.78:1 & 2.35:1 (Tron: Legacy)
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio (Original Classic), DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio Tron: Legacy, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde, Michael Sheen, Beau Garrett, James Frain, Bruce Boxleitner, David Warner, Bernard Hughes, Cindy Morgan
Directed by: Steven Lisberger (Original Classic), Joseph Kosinski (Tron: Legacy)
Music by: Daft Punk
Written by: Steven Lisberger (Original Classic), Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz (Tron: Legacy)
Region Code: 1

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 5, 2011

"A digital frontier to reshape the human condition"

Film Synopsis:

Tron: The Original Classic -
Experience the original landmark motion picture that inspired a new generation of digital filmmakers and became a favorite of fans and critics across the world. Relive the electrifying thrills of TRON with an all-new, state-of-the-art digital restoration and enhanced high-definition sound. When a brilliant video game maker named Flynn (Jeff Bridges) hacks the mainframe of his ex-employer, he is beamed inside an astonishing digital world and becomes part of the very game he is designing. Complete with never-before-seen bonus materials, it’s an epic adventure that everyone will enjoy!

Tron: Legacy -
Disney presents a high-tech motion picture unlike anything you’ve ever seen. Immerse yourself in the digital world of TRON, as celebrated actor Jeff Bridges stars in a revolutionary visual effects adventure beyond imagination. When Flynn, the world’s greatest video game creator, sends out a secret signal from an amazing digital realm, his son discovers the clue and embarks on a personal journey to save his long-lost father. With the help of the fearless female warrior Quorra, father and son venture through an incredible cyber universe and wage the ultimate battle of good versus evil.

attachment.php?attachmentid=207025&d=1301338737

My Take:

When Tron was released back in theaters back in 1982 I remember not being especially interested in it. As someone who enjoyed arcade games and sci-fi I don’t have a clear recollection why I never bothered with it but I don’t remember a lot of buzz among my friends. My first experience with it was on home video some years later and my reaction to it would best be described at lukewarm. Watching it now was a more enjoyable experience but from a different perspective. I couldn’t help but have feelings of nostalgia as I listened to the cheesy dialogue and saw passé style of dress from back in the early eighties. Looking at the special effects and visuals was reminiscent of the video game era I grew up in (Asteroids anyone?). The “technical” jargon is especially interesting as today much of the terminology etc. is considered simplistic even at the most basic user level whereas back then most watching had no idea what those terms meant. Lastly as someone who appreciates film more now than then I value what Tron represents as a cinematic work. Tron was innovative at the time for its use of computer generated imagery and special effects. Its elementary plotline remained straight forward which was a good thing since the concept at the time was far fetched. I enjoyed seeing it rejuvenated in high definition as well as seeing some familiar faces from the past. Actors like Bernard Hughes, Jackson Bostwick, Peter Jurasik and Cindy Morgan. I have always liked David Warner in the role of the heavy and Jeff B. has been a personal favorite as long as I can remember. It would be fair to say that seeing Tron today I got more out of the experience however it remains one of those movies that just doesn’t resonate deeply with me. Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

I didn’t bother catching Tron: Legacy during its theatrical run and hoped it would come my way for review in 3D. Similar to Tron in terms of the scope of its narrative Tron: Legacy picks up about seven years after Tron (the year is 1989). Kevin Flynn (Bridges), promises his seven year old son Sam (Hedlund) that he will one day take him to the see the cyber world known as The Grid. A virtual computer world he accidentally discovered several years earlier which he has been working feverishly on with the help of two cyber companions, Clu (Kevin’s self created digital assistant) and Tron a program created by Alan Bradley. After leaving Sam that night Kevin inexplicably disappears. Twenty years goes by and Sam, now a controlling shareholder, has taken little interest in ENCOM. One evening he is visited by his father's friend and ENCOM executive Alan Bradley (Bruce Boxleitner), who urges Sam to investigate a mysterious page originating from Kevin’s old arcade. While looking around the dilapidated building, Sam discovers a concealed computer laboratory and unintentionally transports himself to the Grid. Only it is no longer the “work in progress” described by his father. It is now far more advanced and exceedingly dangerous. Sam is subsequently reunited with his father and urges him to come back with him. The problem is that Kevin’s plan of creating a perfect world has taken on a life of its own on The Grid. Escaping and survival will require sacrifice plus the help of another…

This is an effects laden spectacle with a gorgeously engrossing visual design that enhances the noticeably fragmented story. The characters aren’t especially interesting but there is enough substance to derive a connection. I didn’t derive any warmth from the father/son relationship between Kevin and Sam or any genuine pangs of romance between Sam and Quorra. I did like the femme fatale potential in Gem (Beau Garrett), but there was only a minimal role for her which was a shame. Clu proved a worthy adversary and there was good promise in a match up with Kevin but it never materialized. Having said that I don’t want to give the impression that Tron: Legacy was a let down because it wasn’t. The Disc Wars gladiatorial style fight sequence followed by the light cycle battle was excellent and in themselves nearly worth the price of admission but what really sells this film, plain and simple, is the eye candy and brother it is awesome. The 3D experience is entertaining (once we finally get to it 23 minutes into the film) and the production value is top notch. I think that this is the first 3D experience I have had at home that made me flinch (twice). The digital imagery and special effects are enamoring as is the cinematography. The use of slow motion action here and there is a nice touch. The cast is fine although there really isn’t motivation for compelling acting. Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde, James Frain, and Michael Sheen carry the ball. Smaller parts by Bruce Boxleitner, Beau Garrett, and Cillian Murphy add a little more depth. Tron: Legacy isn’t going to win best picture but the coolness factor runs high and it presents extremely well on Blu-ray in 3D and 2D. Looks like a keeper!

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sci-fi action violence and mild thematic content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 98

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 88

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Tron: Legacy 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded that has an average bitrate of 26/14 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 6 Mbps.

There is an informational banner at the film’s beginning that advises that the aspect ratio will switch between 2.35:1 and 1.78:1 (IMAX). It further indicates that portions of the film appear in 2D in order to preserve the film original elements and that 3D glasses should be worn throughout. The first twenty three minutes of the movie is 2D which I found annoying. At the beginning of chapter four when Sam arrives on The Grid is when it switches to 3D. Shot on high definition video this is a very clean looking film that is devoid of artifacts or blemishes. The visual design is gorgeous and features a limited color scheme that is aesthetically perfect for the subject matter. The majority of the film boasts deep shades of gray, sepia, blue, white and black. These colors are not vivid in tonality but their depiction is stark and fully appreciable onscreen. There are splashes of secondary colors and their rendering is every bit as eye catching. The wide angle 1.78:1 shots of The Grid’s multifaceted digital realm look stunning. Depth of field in the darkened environs with the defining element being the streams of outlining light makes for an enriching contrast that bolsters dimension. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects and/or people in the foreground/background which effectively creates a more discerning sense of dimension. There are instances where the sense of onscreen virtual space is diminished. This is probably attributable to the varying perspective caused by switching from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 as well as the 2D segments that are sprinkled throughout. I didn’t find that to be problematic just noticeable. The Disc Wars segment featured several flying objects that came out of the screen. Twice during that sequence I found myself involuntarily blinking/flinching. Unfortunately effects like this aren’t prevalent which is too bad. Fidelity remains intact as the film’s stylized elements, defining contrast and rich blacks are rendered with results that mirror the 2D presentation.

The 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is a dynamic tour de force that will test your system’s limits. Dialogue is appreciably lucid through the center channel and is located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundfield. On a few occasions I had minor problems with intelligibility during active segments but it wasn’t prevalent. Front/rear channel separation and imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. The siren sequence at the start of chapter five is a great example of this. As the four women strut in unison toward Sam their footsteps simultaneously close in on the listening position. The effect is pretty cool. The mix makes effective and aggressive use of the four surround channels to elongate the front soundstage and reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds of this demanding soundtrack. The listening position is submerged into a 360 degree web of sound that is sometimes riveting as it bombards the senses with a combination of well placed sound effects and musical ambience. This is a dynamically charged sound mix that is highlighted by the synth driven music of Daft Punk which is underscored by low frequency effects that provide viscerally potent impact. The action based sequences rock as the room is transformed into a three dimensional soundstage that pulsates with room energizing bass that attains room shaking levels. This is an engaging and dynamically enhanced sound design that features high level sonic detail, superb directional correlation, and rhythmically charged bass extension that is guaranteed to break your lease. If you have a system that you think is it up to the task, crank this one up to reference, and enjoy.

Tron - Legacy 2D Video Quality:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Tron: Legacy comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps.

Shot on high definition video this is a very clean looking film that is devoid of artifacts or blemishes. The visual design is gorgeous and features a limited color scheme that is aesthetically perfect for the subject matter. The majority of the film boasts deep shades of gray, sepia, blue, white and black. These colors are not vivid in tonality but their depiction is stark and fully appreciable onscreen. There are splashes of secondary colors and their rendering is every bit as eye catching. The wide angle 1.78:1 shots of the multifaceted digital realm look stunning. Depth of field in the darkened environs with the defining element being the streams of outlining light makes for an enriching contrast that bolsters dimension. Brilliant lighting and shading are prevalent. Contrast is slightly boosted which empowers whites and grays without loss of detail. Whites are snappy and crisp and grays are multi-staged and layered. The film was largely shot against green screens. The reproduction of the digital effects and wide angle background elements is excellent. The multi framed digital photography is cleanly rendered with plenty of subtle refinement that enhances the perception of fine detail. Blacks are dynamic and gradationally revealing while shadow detail in the digitally created world of The Grid is just as strong. I find the video’s deep grays, rich contrast and intriguing use of light/color enamoring as images onscreen have incredible depth and a stimulating visual aura. It looks superb.

Tron – Original Classic Audio/Video Quality:

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 86

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Tron: The Original Classic comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.9 Mbps.

Here is a great looking and revitalized video presentation from Disney that reflects this catalog Blu-ray release in a positive light. Images are resolute with excellent definition and appreciable refinement. There are a few soft spots and at times I noticed the video took on an edgy quality but there is no doubt about the careful treatment this newly restored transfer received. Colors are vivid with clean rendering and deep primary highlights. Fleshtones are a little on the warm side which gives complexions a mildly rosy tinge. Blacks are dynamic and punchy while appearing just a tad crushed. The films dark sequences exhibit very good balance between light and dark content with appreciable but not definitive visibility of detail in backgrounds. The (dated) special effects shots don’t hold up especially well under the increased resolution but they’re innate to the original photography and look fine. Fidelity appears intact as there are no apparent signs of digital noise reduction or grain removal.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is presented in robust surround mix that makes ample use of the entire platform. Dialogue is clearly rendered although there are instances where prioritization is questionable. I suspect that that is a limitation of the original recording and I would rather have it sound natural than artificially enhanced and hokey. The soundfield is one dimensional but has discernible front channel separation and good clarity. The soundstage opens up once Kevin arrives on The Grid as the various sounds/effects emanate from the rear channels to create an enveloping but not an especially involving listening experience. The transition between the front/rear channels with regard to many of the discretely placed sounds isn’t seamless due to a slight imbalance in the volume level which can be a little distracting. Considering the age of this recording I was impressed with its dynamic range as low frequency effects have fair solidity and notable impact. Overall I enjoyed this new surround sound mix. It isn’t perfect but it enhances the Tron experience by bringing it up to date so to speak.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Tron: Legacy 3D

• Disc 2:

• Tron: Legacy Blu-ray

• (HD) The next day: Flynn live revealed

• (HD) Play with Disney Second Screen - An interactive feature that will further transform the at-home movie watching experience by empowering viewers with the ability to engage with film content on multiple media platforms and bring them to life in their own hands at the touch of a button. By simply downloading the Second Screen App onto an internet-connected computer or iPad and synching it to the movie, consumers will instantly be able to dive deeper into the film by engaging with elements including 360-degree turnarounds, interactive progression reels, and more.

• (HD) First look at Tron: Uprising, animated XD Series

• (HD) Launching Legacy - 10 minute featurette

• (HD) Visualizing Tron - 11 minute featurette

• (HD) Installing the cast - 12 minute featurette

• (HD) Disc roars - From 2010 Comicon

• (HD) Music Video: “Derezzed” by Daft Punk

• Disc 3:

• Tron - The Original Classic

• (HD) The Tron phenomenon - 9 minute featurette

• (HD) Photo Tronology - 16 minute featurette

• Audio commentary with Steven Lisberger, Donald Kushner, Harrison Ellenshow, Richard Tayor

• Original DVD features:

1. Development – 8 minutes
    2. Digital imagery – 12 minutes
    3. The making of Tron – 88 minutes
    4. Music – 8 minutes
    5. Publicity – 13 minutes
    6. 3 Deleted scenes
    7. Design
    8. Storyboarding – 9 minutes
    9. (HD) Galleries

Disc 4:

• Tron: Legacy DVD

• Disc 5:

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - Tron: Legacy

Final Thoughts:

Disney has proven time and again that they are committed to the Blu-ray Disc format and this fully featured five disc set that represents all things Tron is another shining example. Containing Tron, 1982’s innovative and now classic sci-fi action film and last year’s sequel Tron: Legacy, an effect laden spectacle offered in 3D, fans can rejoice in the original film’s newly restored audio/video, Legacy’s thrilling digital effects and a wealth of supplemental (including exclusive content) that looks behind the scenes and beyond the production. I am not a diehard fan of either film but there is no denying their entertainment and cinematic value. I must admit to being partial to Legacy simply based upon the strength of its production elements. Both films have received top notch audio/video treatment from Disney. You can’t go wrong in either case so feel free to add them to your collection. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Thanks Ralph!

I never saw Tron and always shunned it as it looked cheesy to me.
I will give it and Legacy a viewing based on your review.
post #3 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I couldn't get into Tron when it came out all those years ago....it just looked stupid. It was on cable over the weekend, so I tried to watch it again, and yeah....still stupid.

I am interested in the new one though and will give it a rent (mostly for Olivia though!)
post #4 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Great review as always Ralph.

The only BD I currently own that switches between two aspect ratios to take advantage of IMAX scenes is The Dark Knight. If memory serves, I think it had six IMAX specific scenes which means the BD switched aspect ratios six times. Do you recall how many times it switched between the two in Tron: Legacy?
post #5 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 AM

Liked: 31
Yep...not a fan of Tron , never seen the classic..but this will make it's way into the collection...just based on it's review and the effects/sound ... I'm so far behind it's crazy, I buy them and watch them a month+ later.

Great review King P , you keep us abreast and broke !
post #6 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 11:06 AM

Liked: 17
Love the original in all it's 1982 glory and will definitely be picking it up on Blu.

Went into Legacy with very low expectations after reading the overwhelmingly negative reviews but actually wound up being blown away by it (IMAX 3D helped a little). It was akin to my first viewing of The Matrix with it's deft combination of eye-popping visual spectacle and thought provoking storyline. Lots of great little nods to the original too. I should also add that my dear wife also hugely enjoyed it on multiple levels, and she's far less the geek than I am.

Dual purchase on April 5th? Check.

post #7 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

Great review as always Ralph.

The only BD I currently own that switches between two aspect ratios to take advantage of IMAX scenes is The Dark Knight. If memory serves, I think it had six IMAX specific scenes which means the BD switched aspect ratios six times. Do you recall how many times it switched between the two in Tron: Legacy?

Greetings,

I am not sure but I would say with certainly that it is no less than six times..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 PM

Liked: 10
Great review Mr. Potts,

I agree completely with your assessment of character development. It was thin and the chemistry between the actors was also thin at the very least. Perhaps they were going for the withdrawn father figure who wasn't able to relate to his son after 20 years or so but it didn't work.

It was still fun but thinking back on it it gets thinner...
post #9 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Nice review--I was especially interested in the audio review now that I have the major pieces of my system in place now--sounds like it would be a nice test for my Ultra.

Bob

post #10 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I'm looking forward to getting this next week. I have it on preorder, the 5 disk set.

As a story I agree that it is no Star Trek, or Avatar scifi. However, I appreciate it for being a rather new story theme and a game changer in motion picture technology back in '82.

I also agree that switching 2D and 3D as well as switching Aspect ratio is annoying, but that is the way the director intended using these switches to either accommodate the vision of the openness of the environment (IMAX) as well as a switch to a sureal world (3D) from a simple picture story (2D). Although visually annoying, I have to place this choice in the same collection of movies that made use of color- B?W or sepia tone switching to do a similar mood or location change in the story. Recall The Matrix? It used a greenish overtone to the color.

Note- For those of us that use variable AR screens, guess we'll be having to loc the screen in IMAX mode and let the wider AR letter box? Fortunately my Variable AR screen is fully manual masking system but I wonder how those with an auto adjusted screen will cope with this. Seems to me it will be even more annoying.
post #11 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for getting to these Ralph, much appreciated.

If you are finished with them, please ship it to me. I don't want to wait till Tuesday.
post #12 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Great review Ralph. I have the 5 Disc set pre-ordered at Amazon. I also love listening to the Daft Punk soundtrack, they did an excellent job.

Panasonic 60GT30
Onkyo 838
Oppo 103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
post #13 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Woohooo!!!

Been a fan of Tron since the video game and the original movie. And thought this latest installment of Tron Legacy definitely did justice from the last one. Why did it take them this long to make it? Definitely worth the wait.

Spectacular special effects! Great cast of characters. The motorcycle scene was bad @$$! And who could forget about Quorra(Oliva Wilde)? Hoping to get more of the IMAX scenes on this one. And the Daft Punk soundtrack...game ovah!!

Just waiting for my five disc copy to arrive next week! C'mon next week!!!! lol!! Definitely a collect!

Also just to add. I think to really enjoy this movie to it's fullest is to watch the original Tron first and then watch the Legacy right after.

Cheers
post #14 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I like legacy as well. I really enjoyed the original and also found the sequel better than reviewed. I also found the switching a little annoying.

What I like about this usage of 3D is that it is like Avatar in that it enhances the scene rather than going for the pure oohh aaahh factor.

It is interesting that you gave the 2D a higher rating. For those of us still waiting to upgrade, do you think the upgrade is worth it for this title?

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #15 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I am not sure but I would say with certainly that it is no less than six times..

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. I was just curious about the amount. No answer would have been a deal breaker for me. I'm in for a purchase on this one no matter what. This is the kind of movie Blu-ray was made for: Looks pretty and sounds great!
post #16 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

I like legacy as well. I really enjoyed the original and also found the sequel better than reviewed. I also found the switching a little annoying.

What I like about this usage of 3D is that it is like Avatar in that it enhances the scene rather than going for the pure oohh aaahh factor.

It is interesting that you gave the 2D a higher rating. For those of us still waiting to upgrade, do you think the upgrade is worth it for this title?

Greetings,

The rating parameters are different for the 2D and 3D content. I would say that if you plan on upgrading to 3D at some point the upgrade is worth it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #17 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I personally liked the film, even though reviewers didn't.

I also liked the 3D, even the part where it didn't kick in until The Grid, kind of made sense.

Personally, I was "into" the movie, and only noticed the ratio switch once. I've watched the 3D BD twice, and in all honesty, I couldn't tell you how many times it happened, because I wasn't paying attention. To me, that's a good thing, meaning I was engaged in the film.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #18 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 293
Wow, 98 for audio!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #19 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can't wait to get my hands on this! Very nice review!

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
post #20 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ralph, did you notice any ghosting in the 3D version? Sorry if you mentioned it in the review. It's late and I didn't see anything that would relate to it.

Joe.T
post #21 of 115 Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Can't wait to watch this in 3D, although I am disappointed to hear that the first 23 minutes are not in 3D. I can see where this may be annoying where you are wearing the glasses, but there is no effect of any sorts. The switching between aspect ratios did not bother me in Transformers ROTF or in the Dark Knight, but sitting here thinking about the aspect ratios switching in 3D seems like it could be annoying. Nevertheless, I am anxiously awaiting for this not for only the 3D video quality, but for the audio as well. Sounds like its going to be one hell of an experience to say the least!
post #22 of 115 Old 03-31-2011, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post
Ralph, did you notice any ghosting in the 3D version? Sorry if you mentioned it in the review. It's late and I didn't see anything that would relate to it.
Greetings,

Buttabean, I didn't see any ghosting/crosstalk. If it is present it's minimal enough to escape my notice.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 115 Old 03-31-2011, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 82
This movie surprised me positively! A very good movie with very god picture and superb sound.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #24 of 115 Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 AM

Ralph or others - please help me out. Could you PLEASE provide the link for this item from Amazon? I am so confused with all Tron items. Is this the 5 disc set? The box does not match the Amazon one.
I am really trying to source the BD of the two movies and I am think it will be packaged and cheaper as one as opposed to two. Ty

post #25 of 115 Old 03-31-2011, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Buttabean, I didn't see any ghosting/crosstalk. If it is present it's minimal enough to escape my notice.

Regards,
Great! When I saw this in the theaters, I saw it on the Sony 4k LCOS projector.The ghosting was bearable but definitely noticeable to the point that it distracted me. I have a JVC RS40 so here's hoping for a similar experience from what you had.

Joe.T
post #26 of 115 Old 03-31-2011, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance_60031 View Post
Ralph or others - please help me out. Could you PLEASE provide the link for this item from Amazon? I am so confused with all Tron items. Is this the 5 disc set? The box does not match the Amazon one.
I am really trying to source the BD of the two movies and I am think it will be packaged and cheaper as one as opposed to two. Ty
Oh, I see your problem. The box with the cover that Ralph posted is the "Tron:Legacy" 4 disc version on amazon. It does not include the original, only the sequel.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg 4 disc without the original.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg 5 disc that includes the original Tron

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg then the super nerd collectors addition

+add about $20 bucks for each tier upgrade

Joe.T
post #27 of 115 Old 03-31-2011, 05:48 AM

There is only one set with 5 discs -- my bad -- I should have read the full review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post
Oh, I see your problem. The box with the cover that Ralph posted is the "Tron:Legacy" 4 disc version on amazon. It does not include the original, only the sequel.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg 4 disc without the original.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg 5 disc that includes the original Tron

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg then the super nerd collectors addition

I should have read all of the review -- my bad -- there is only one 5 disc set.

+add about $20 bucks for each tier upgrade

post #28 of 115 Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Looking forward to this one to add to my 3D collection. Not a huge Tron fan but good enough to enjoy in 3d!
post #29 of 115 Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 PM

I've been a tron fan since I was a little kid... Something about the colors always got me... although it felt like the blues in "Legacy" weren't quite as blue for some reason.
post #30 of 115 Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 PM

Please post some screenshots
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page