Studio and Year: Disney/Pixar - 2004
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 115 minutes
Genre: Family/Animation

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Voices: Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Samuel L. Jackson, Jason Lee, Sarah Vowell, Spencer Fox, Wallace Shawn, John Ratzenberger, Elizabeth Pena
Written & Directed by: Brad Bird
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 12, 2011

"Save The Day"

Film Synopsis:

Bob Parr and his wife Helen used to be among the world's greatest crime fighters, saving lives and battling evil on a daily basis. Fifteen years later, they have been forced to adopt civilian identities and retreat to the suburbs where they live "normal" lives with their three kids, Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack. Itching to get back into action, Bob gets his chance when a mysterious communication summons him to a remote island for a top secret assignment. He soon discovers that it will take a super family effort to rescue the world from total destruction.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=207367&d=1301590840

I generally summarize the film as part of My Take but found the synopsis included in the press release to be excellent. It contains a perfect snapshot of the film so I decided to use it:

The Incredibles follows the adventures of a family of former superheroes who are rediscovering the true source of their powers—in one another. Once one of the world’s top masked crime fighters, Bob Parr (a.k.a. Mr. Incredible) fought evil and saved lives on a daily basis. But 15 years later, he and his wife Helen (the former Elastigirl) have been forced to take on civilian identities and retreat to the suburbs. Today they, and all superheroes, live as mere mortals. Bob and Helen lead all-too-ordinary lives with their children, new baby Jack-Jack, Violet, and “Dash” who both go out of their way to appear “normal”. As a clock-punching insurance man, the only thing Bob fights these days is boredom and a bulging waistline. Itching for action, the sidelined superhero gets his chance when a mysterious communication summons him to a remote island for a top-secret assignment. Now, with the fate of the world hanging in the balance, the family must come together and once again find the fantastic in their family life.

I guess I am just a big kid at heart but when this arrived at my door I couldn’t help feeling a little more giddy than I care to admit. I would imagine that by now most reading this have seen or are at least familiar with The Incredibles. I have often been asked which of the Disney/Pixar films I like the best. That is a tough question because as a fan I find them all highly entertaining. I think that the best way to answer that question would be to say that my personal favorite depends. With Disney now releasing them on Blu-ray I have been able to experience them in a new way and it seems like whenever I finish watching one I say to myself ‘this is my favorite’. That is exactly how I felt after watching The Incredibles for this review. It has been a number of years since I have seen it but it’s still so much fun to watch. The story isn’t complex but engages by integrating definable plot points that speak to familial and social issues combined with elements of humor, action/adventure and fantasy. Add well constructed characters, clever exposition, and intelligent direction to the mix and this is high bar, memorable family fun. Each of the primary members of the cast is each given their moment to shine and does so with warm enthusiasm and spot on timing. Films like The Incredibles can be shared and enjoyed from one generation to the next which is a testament to the quality of family oriented entertainment that comes the folks at Disney/Pixar. Fans will be pleased to hear that they have given it the star treatment on Blu-ray as it looks and sounds spectacular.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for action violence. There is nothing in this film that would be inappropriate for young viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: Detail:%20%3Cimg%20src=

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=207369&d=1301590840

The Incredibles comes to Blu-ray disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

This is a reference quality high definition presentation that delivers superlative imagery. When it was first released the DVD it was the go to for reference/demonstration purposes as it exhibited incredible depth, lush color and clear delineation. This presentation literally takes it to another level entirely. The quality of the images onscreen can be visually arresting. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a resplendent and sparkling clarity that is appreciably three dimensional.

The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters features and objects within each frame is fascinating. Looking at Bob’s Mr. Incredible costume I could easily make out the pattern of the fabric in the blue “mega mesh” material or the textures on walls and cloth covered furniture in E’s house. The scenes that take place on the island look amazing. I could see the subtle shades of green in the jungle foliage, the uneven and rough surfaces on rock formations and the suppleness of standing water.

Colors are deeply saturated and exhibit clean rendering that is enhanced by a luminous and vivid quality that looks beautiful in high definition. Each of the characters has distinctive physical qualities that are attributable to them not only in size and shape but color, all of which are fully realized. Blacks are rich, dynamic and deep without compromise. Low level scenes are equally impressive and offer excellent image penetration. The dark and shadowy sequences that take place in the cave (where Bob hides from Syndrome) and later as he approaches and sneaks into the well guarded compound have excellent depth, dimension and visible detail within objects and backgrounds. Contrast is striking without over stimulating colors or washing out white detail. Other than a very minor complaint (which I didn’t feel required a deduction) this is one of the best looking high definition presentations I have had the pleasure of seeing in my theater room. Woo hoo!

This lossless soundtrack earns of perfect technical rating and improves upon the lossy Dolby Digital version in every way. This is not an aggressive or action style sound mix but its ability to deliver a visceral home theater experience is not to be underestimated. This animated film uses an intricate sound design that has to maintain a delicate balance so the plethora of sound effects, music and dialogue within the soundtrack can be clearly and easily interpreted by the audience. Dialogue is distinctly perceptible and well articulated so that even subtle changes in the inflection of the voices among the cast was detectable.

Sound effects are accurately placed within the sound field and establish a tight correlation between the onscreen information and what is being heard within the listening environment. This creates an immersive, active and engaging soundscape that is abundantly rich in detail. Its wide dynamic range can go from subtle, intricate control to pant flapping shake your seat dynamism. Michael Giacchino’s James Bond style music occasionally takes center stage and is spread over the entire system with high level detail and smooth, edge free treble. Low frequency effects underscore active sounds and accentuate the dynamic impact of the audio. The effect produces bass response that is demonstrative as it occasionally reaches transient levels that dip into the sub 30HZ bass regions.

The first example of this occurs during the sequence where Bob lands on the island for the first time and takes on the giant robot. The scene that begins with Syndrom’s henchman pursuing Dash followed by the face off against all of The Incredibles sounds incredibly nuanced, with excellent near filed correlation. Taken as a whole this is reference quality and demonstration worthy audio that features superlative surround sound and powerful bass response that surely impresses. If you enjoyed this soundtrack on DVD you had better strap yourself in for this DTS-HD Master Audio lossless ride because it simply rocks.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Audio commentary with Brad Bird and producer John Walker

• Animator commentary featuring members of the team that brought the animator characters to life

• Boundin’ animated short with Director Bud Luckey’s commentary - 5 minutes

• (HD) Jack-Jack Attack - 4 minute animated short film

• (HD) Jack- Jack Attack exposed – A visual commentary with Brad Bird, Teddy Newton and Bret Parker

• (HD) The Incredibles revisited – a roundtable discussion with Brad Bird, John Walker, Mark Andrews, Rick Sayer, Lou Romano, Teddy Newton, Tony Fucile

• Disc 2:

• (HD) Path’s to Pixar – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) Studio stories: Gary’s Birthday

• (HD) Ending with a bang: Making the end credits

• (HD) The New Nomanisan: A top secret island redevelopment plan – 3 minute guided tour

• (HD) 7 Deleted scenes (including alternate opening sequence) with filmmaker introduction

• (HD) Incredible teaser

• Publicity – TV Spots, Character interviews, and trailers

• (HD) Interactive art gallery

• Movie voucher for Cars 2 (Disney Rewards Program)

• Classic Content – Previously released features that include a making of documentary, sound, character, set, music design and more

• Easter Eggs

• Disc 3:

• Bonus DVD of The Incredibles

• Disc 4:

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc of The Incredibles
attachment.php?attachmentid=207368&d=1301590840

Final Thoughts:

The Incredibles is one of the most anticipated Blu-ray Disc releases to date and I am thrilled that it has finally arrived from Disney. It is a wonderful family film that has an endearing charm and entertaining story that people of all ages can appreciate. With this release Disney continues to set the bar with their technically proficient Blu-ray offerings that yield high quality audio/video presentations that fans and enthusiasts are sure to appreciate. Disney has included a boat load of bonus supplements that include new Blu-ray Disc exclusives, previously released content, a digital copy and a standard definition DVD of The Incredibles. This is a must have and worthy Blu-ray offering that comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One Hundred!

My favorite Pixar film gets the treatment it deserves. Thanks, Ralph!
post #3 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM

Glad to hear it made the mark, thanks for the review! Great movie.

1080P at last!!!
post #4 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Finally, the Holy Grail of BluRay! I have been waiting on this one a long time. Excellent job as always Ralph.
post #5 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
This is my favorite Pixar movie out there. Why they insist on making sequels to Cars and Monster's Inc over this one is beyond me (I'm sure it has nothing to do with money, and is all a creative decision). This is the perfect movie to build on!

Can't wait to finally have it on Blu!
post #6 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM

Great review as always!!

I am just disappointed that they haven't came out with a squeal to this great movie.
post #7 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 67
This has been one of my most anticipated releases for the Blu-ray format and I'm stoked that it's of reference quality.

My only gripe is... when are we getting this (or ANY(!)) of the Pixar films in 3D!!?? I can at least understand The Incredibles not getting the 3D treatment yet, but what about the Toy Story's or Up?? They were released theatrically in 3D.
post #8 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

A must have, now if they can only get Nemo to the big blu.

How to identify a future projector owner, he's the kid sitting two feet from the 42" plasma.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=954837
post #9 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

Why they insist on making sequels to Cars and Monster's Inc over this one is beyond me (I'm sure it has nothing to do with money, and is all a creative decision).

Well, the Pixar guys have said in interviews that they only consider doing sequels if they can come up with a story they think is worthy of a sequel. One reason Pixar's track record is so good is they realize story is even more important than the technical aspects. You can't have a good movie of any kind unless you first have a good story/script.

Since Brad Bird was both director and (co?)writer of The Incredibles, he is the one that would have to sign off on the concept for a sequel before it would even get the greenlight. He has said in numerous interviews that he has yet to come up with (or be pitched) an idea he thinks would be worthy of a sequel.
post #10 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Oh yeah!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #11 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post

Well, the Pixar guys have said in interviews that they only consider doing sequels if they can come up with a story they think is worthy of a sequel. One reason Pixar's track record is so good is they realize story is even more important than the technical aspects. You can't have a good movie of any kind unless you first have a good story/script.

Since Brad Bird was both director and (co?)writer of The Incredibles, he is the one that would have to sign off on the concept for a sequel before it would even get the greenlight. He has said in numerous interviews that he has yet to come up with (or be pitched) an idea he thinks would be worthy of a sequel.

I used to fully believe that...but there is no doubt in my mind that the only reason Cars 2 was put into production was because they sold so many toys. I'm not even saying that Cars 2 won't be good (it might be awesome), but I simply don't believe that money wasn't one of the main motivations.

Anyway, that's enough from me about Cars....this thread is about Incredibles! w00t!
post #12 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I pre ordered this as soon as Amazon had send out those preordered emails, this is coming home...The standard will be given away to one of my pals, can't wait to see this on blu ray, as it's my all time favorite Pixar flick.

I was just looking at the list of extras, I thought Bounce the short was in this one?

Thanks Ralph.

Djoel
post #13 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just pre ordered from amazon. Cant wait. I remember when i first watched it on dvd i kept thinking this is wayyy better than i was expecting.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #14 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I pre ordered this as soon as Amazon had send out those preordered emails, this is coming home...The standard will be given away to one of my pals, can't wait to see this on blu ray, as it's my all time favorite Pixar flick.

I was just looking at the list of extras, I thought Bounce the short was in this one?

Thanks Ralph.

Djoel

Greetings,

Djoel is you mean " Boundin' " the animated short film, yes it's included.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #15 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I recently viewed about 8 minutes of the BluRay (jungle island scene) and can confirm what is stated above, it's stunning!

A must own, I know I'll be at BestBuy on April 12th picking this up.

Jason
post #16 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:

Why they insist on making sequels to Cars and Monster's Inc over this one is beyond me (I'm sure it has nothing to do with money, and is all a creative decision).

Brad Bird is already knee-deep in the "Mission Impossible: 4" movie and another one after that. Without a viable script at this point, it might be a while.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #17 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 PM

I have no choice ! Great review King P !
post #18 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Whaaaaaaat?!?!!? 100?

Wow! Haven't seen this in a while and was procrastinating but after this review....well it's definitely a collect now!

Don't get to see many 100 scores these days.
post #19 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Djoel is you mean " Boundin' " the animated short film, yes it's included.

Regards,

Oh right....Thanks

Dan
post #20 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Day one for me REGARDLESS of the price (which should be better by release date). Waited too long as it is for this must own movie on BD.
post #21 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is such a great movie...the theme (an overweight superhero !), the audio and video quality are off the charts, and my only "complaint" is that I will have TWO regular DVD's of this in addition to the Blu-ray!
post #22 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM

is boundin' in hd?
post #23 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 PM

I'll be there to get mine too. Now if only Bad Boys 2 would come out on blu-ray.
post #24 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM

Ralph you are right, this is a movie that can be enjoyed by all ages. We first saw it on DVD and the whole family including a toddler enjoyed it. I have been eagerly awaiting the blu-ray release and have it pre-ordered. We will be enjoying family movie night with this movie soon. I'm glad it is all we have been hoping for.
post #25 of 123 Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 PM

Great review. Can't wait until next Tuesday.

post #26 of 123 Old 04-01-2011, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Thanks for the review Ralph. Cannot wait till I pick up my copy. Definitely one of the most anticipated pixar blu ray release.

Frank

post #27 of 123 Old 04-01-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Keep me honest. Besides Sound of Music, are there any others that made to the 100 club?
post #28 of 123 Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Oops. I meant Avatar; Sound of Music made it to 95.
post #29 of 123 Old 04-01-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Kung Fu panda if I remember.

Frank

post #30 of 123 Old 04-01-2011, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This will be a first day purchase. Great review Ralph.

On a side note, after seeing this movie about 20 times, I never got the joke about the name of Syndrome's island. Nomanisan Island. No-man-is-an Island. The lesson Bob had to learn?

And on a tangent from that, I really identify with Bob Parr. I sit in an overly small cubicle that also has a column in it. .....and wear a superhero costume under my clothes.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Incredibles Four Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page