A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 04-18-2011, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,590
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by weva111 View Post

Hi Ralph,

I'm confused about about the audio on this Blu-Ray. On your initial description you posted that the HD Audio of the movie was



But then, as you start to really describe the technical aspects of the disc, you put the HD Audio as



That said, which one is it? 6.1 or 5.1?

Also, if it indeed is 6.1, and seeing that I have a 5.1 setup, how important is the extra surround speaker in this presentation? Was it that noticeable/necessary? I should say that I have an extra speaker that I could hook up to my receiver if necessary. Please advise. And as always, thank you for your reviews.

Greetings,

My apologies for the confusion. This is a 6.1 channel track although my player reported it as 5.1 which initially caused me to question whether it was in fact 6.1. The fact that you have a 5.1 channel setup won't effect reproduction of the info mixed to that additional channel. No need to add an additional speaker just to watch this disc.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 Old 05-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Newbie
 
Colaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just love this movie. I usually watch it a couple of times a year.
Colaholic is offline  
post #33 of 39 Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Member
 
SD Vidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1978 View Post

It was well liked by the critics and had a decent box office performance (235 million). Your false memories don't become fact just because you type them out emphatically.

Production cost: $90million
US boxoffice: $78million

Washington Post: "uneven and ultimately rather silly"
SF Chronicle: "structureless, meandering, slow-motion endlessness "
Baltimore Sun: "Ends up neither fish nor fowl. It's a misanthrope's "E.T." "
WSJ: "A grim disappointment for grown-ups, and far too violent for young kids. I found it to be clumsy, misanthropic and intractably lifeless."

HB

Bear's Lair Home Theater

Howie: "I think my screen may be TOO big."
Norm: "Screens are like breast implants..."
SD Vidiot is offline  
post #34 of 39 Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Newbie
 
ceramiclion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I remember I hate this movie due to the ending but the special effects were fantastic back in the day. I will definitely check it out when I can.
ceramiclion is offline  
post #35 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Member
 
DoomBot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

My apologies for the confusion. This is a 6.1 channel track although my player reported it as 5.1 which initially caused me to question whether it was in fact 6.1. The fact that you have a 5.1 channel setup won't effect reproduction of the info mixed to that additional channel. No need to add an additional speaker just to watch this disc.

Regards,

Wouldn't the DTS in fact be DTS-HD Master 5.1EX or ES one of those and not actual 6.1?
DoomBot is offline  
post #36 of 39 Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Phrehdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 111
This is an atypical film and I think Ralph's review was genuine and right on.

The film is not going to appeal to everyone and I find that it will appeal most likely to sentimental cynics and cynical sentimentalists.

Tackling the topic of innocence and humanity lost in a chaotic self serving world thoughtfully is not an easy task. For me, I consider
films like this (happy ending or not) as a melancholy film. It is meant to evoke a gambit of feelings and a slight edge of hope.

- Phrehdd
Phrehdd is offline  
post #37 of 39 Old 10-07-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,590
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

This is an atypical film and I think Ralph's review was genuine and right on.
The film is not going to appeal to everyone and I find that it will appeal most likely to sentimental cynics and cynical sentimentalists.
Tackling the topic of innocence and humanity lost in a chaotic self serving world thoughtfully is not an easy task. For me, I consider
films like this (happy ending or not) as a melancholy film. It is meant to evoke a gambit of feelings and a slight edge of hope.
- Phrehdd

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Phrehdd.. smile.gif


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #38 of 39 Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
FieldingMelish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Vidiot View Post


Production cost: $90million

US boxoffice: $78million


Washington Post: "uneven and ultimately rather silly"

SF Chronicle: "structureless, meandering, slow-motion endlessness "

Baltimore Sun: "Ends up neither fish nor fowl. It's a misanthrope's "E.T." "

WSJ: "A grim disappointment for grown-ups, and far too violent for young kids. I found it to be clumsy, misanthropic and intractably lifeless."


And your point is?
FieldingMelish is offline  
post #39 of 39 Old 10-18-2012, 03:37 AM
Member
 
Ivan Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love this wonderful movie, as well as E.T. tongue.gif
Ivan Walker is offline  
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , A I Artificial Intelligence Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - A by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off