Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 65 Old 04-06-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 510
attachment.php?attachmentid=208077&d=1302108698
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 146 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.4:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Daniel Radcliff, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Alan Rickman, Robbie Coltrane, Brendan Gleason, Ralph Fiennes, Jason Issacs, Warwick Davis, David Thewlis, Helena Bonham Carter, Bill Nighy, Julie Waters, Bonnie Wright, Tom Felton
Directed by: David Yates
Music by: Alexandre Desplat
Written by: Steven Kloves based on the novel by J.K. Rowling
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 15, 2011

"The End begins…"

Film Synopsis:

Harry, Ron and Hermione set out on their perilous mission to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort’s immortality and destruction – the Horcruxes. On their own and on the run, the three friends must now rely on one another more than ever…but Dark Forces in their midst threaten to tear them apart. Meanwhile the wizarding world has become a dangerous place. The long-feared war has begun and the Dark Lord has seized control of the Ministry of Magic and even Hogwarts, terrorizing and arresting all who might oppose him. The Chosen One has become the hunted one as the Death Eaters search for Harry with orders to bring him to Voldemort…alive.

My Take:

I haven’t read any of the Harry Potter books, although my children have. My experience with the stories have all been through the films which date back to 2001’s Sorcerer’s Stone. Currently I am the only one in my house that still enjoys the Potter films. I have seen each of them during their respective theatrical runs and while I haven’t found them all to be equally entertaining I can’t say that there is one that I haven’t liked. The earlier films undeniably brought these delightful characters to life and endeared them to us while fundamentally establishing with each subsequent installment, the books theme of good versus evil. With each film we see Lord Voldemort becoming stronger and the tone shifting from seemingly brief (sometime humorous) moments of recoverable peril to mortality invoking danger that has serious/permanent consequences. Deathly Hallows part 1 begins the final leg of the journey that will take us into the closing chapter in the struggle between good (Harry Potter) and evil (Lord Voldemort). Picking up where The Half Blood Prince left off we find Harry, Hermoine and Ron seeking out the Horcrux’s in an attempt to stop Voldemort. He and his minions have taken over the Ministry of Magic, invaded Hogwarts and have successfully turned the wizarding world into a dark place where no one can be trusted.

The Order of the Phoenix takes a serious hit while trying to protect Harry. The skirmish results in Harry, Ron and Hermoine being separated from them and left to continue on their own. With danger around every corner they must rely upon spells to remain hidden from prying eyes as they search for the Horcrux’s. With a little luck they locate one of them only to find that it can only be destroyed by the Sword of Godric Gryffindor which has disappeared. As they search for answers the trio struggles under the pressure of hopelessness while narrowly surviving dangerous engagements with Death Eaters seeking to capture Harry. With the assistance of a three handed down trinkets and a trail of bread crumbs that lead them into dire circumstances that come to test the limits of their unshakable friendship, they locate the missing sword, destroy the Horcrux and learn of the Deathly Hallows, three magical objects: the all powerful Elder Wand, The Resurrection Stone and the Cloak of Invisibility. With the noose of Lord Voldemort’s power tightening Ron, Hermoine and Harry find themselves trapped by deception and facing insurmountable odds. Realizing now that Lord Voldemort seeks the Elder Wand as a means to kill Harry they are locked in a race against time in the hopes of discovering it before he does. Unfortunately time has run out…

I didn’t catch Deathly Hallows part 1 in the theater but both of my kids saw it. Neither of them seemed crazy about it so I opted to wait for it to come to Blu-ray. I have never read any of the Potter books and my only frame of reference for its world and characters is through the films. I am most decidedly a fan and enjoy each of the installments in the series for various reasons. The prevalence of carefree moments, romantic entanglements and whimsical allegory has taken a backseat to a foreboding sense of dread and the spiraling suspense that accompanies it. What remains constant is the unflappable bond between these three characters. The familiar dynamic of their relationship is tested in this film and we see glimpses of the individuals each is becoming. My kids described this movie as boring, I disagree. There is a lot going on as the stage is being set for the final installment. We say goodbye to a few more friends and are left to ponder how it will all come together and who will step up because there is no doubt that Harry, Hermoine and Ron will require some help if they are going to survive and win the day. I look forward to Deathly Hallows part 2 and will make a trip to the theater when it opens.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for scary images, some violence, language and mild sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 comes to Blu-ray from Warner featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 16 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

The look of this film does not lend itself to frequent use of eye popping colors, bold contrast or definitive sharpness. The world where most of the film takes place is made up of large amounts of CGI which is interwoven with both real objects and people. It has a typically distinctive visual design that often gives it the appearance and feel of a dream. The film intentionally uses muted colors and drab lighting which provides a noticeable contrast to the story’s fantasy world. Blacks are deep, noise free and dynamic. Shadow delineation is excellent which gives the film’s multitude of low lit sequences and darker elements plenty of depth and dimension. The color palette isn’t particularly extensive as sepia tones, grays and other neutral colors are heavily utilized. Contrast is spot on so that whites appear dynamic and punchy when appropriate without being overcooked and washed out. Fine detail is readily perceivable in close ups while backgrounds during long range shots tend to appear less definitive. This appears to be innate to the photography and reminiscent of how the film looked during its theatrical presentation. Other than occasionally visible low level noise against dark backgrounds I didn’t see any overt signs of compression related anomalies or deleterious artifacts. The result is satisfying high definition video that appears faithful to the director’s vision.

The lossless audio presentation, like the video, is used like a canvas to paint a picture that brings the fantasy world of Harry Potter to life. The entire surround platform is used to overlay the film’s discretely placed directional and venue replicating ambient effects. Superlative detail and clarity bring forth every nuance within the recording so that each was discernibly distinguishable. There are several sequences, such as the opening of the Horcrux in chapter 22, that transform the room into a three dimensional sound field filled with immersive 360 degree surround activity that engages the listening position from multiple directions. Low frequency effects frequently produce deep, authoritative bass that pressurizes the room and occasionally approaches infrasonic levels. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity that produces just the slightest hint of sibilance in the upper registers (it didn’t require a deduction). This is a wonderfully involving and dynamically energized sound design that features high level sonic detail, superb directional correlation, seamless integration, and rhythmically charged bass extension that is sure to stimulate the senses. This is a superb sounding audio presentation that truly compliments this engaging film. Crank it up a few notches, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• (HD) Maximum Movie Mode - Join host Jason Isaacs, cast & crew and guests in this interactive in movie experience to unravel the mysteries of the Dark Lord’s past and discover the keys to his defeat before it is too late! Includes book passage readings, video segments, behind the scenes footage, sequence deconstructions and more..

• (HD) Focus Points (Totaling 18 minutes) :

1. The last days of Privet Drive
    2. Hagrid’s motorbike
    3. Magical tents
    4. Death enters attack cafe
    5. Creating Dobby and Kreacher
    6. The return of Graphook

• WB BD-Live access

• Disc 2:

• (HD)Sneak Peek: The opening scene of HP and the Deathly Hallows part 2 – The advanced copy sent for review had this feature removed however Warner advises that retail copies will include it

• (HD) Behind the story (Totaling 30 minutes) :

1. The seven Harry’s
    2. On the green with Rupert, Tom, Oliver and James
    3. Dan, Rupert and Emma’s running competition
    4. Godric’s Hollow/Harry and Nagini battle
    5. The frozen lake

• (HD) 8 additional scenes

• (HD) Trailers & Spots – Behind the soundtrack & The wizarding world of Harry Potter promotional tour (Universal Orlando)

• Disc 3:

• Bonus DVD/Digital Copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1
attachment.php?attachmentid=208078&d=1302108698

Final Thoughts:

Admittedly I am a fan of the Harry Potter film series and always look forward to each installment. The Deathly Hallows part 1 is a well executed film that sees the primary characters continue to evolve as the foreboding elements that will take the series to its conclusion are put into place. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video in a top notch offering that features excellent high definition video and reference quality DTS-HD Master Audio sound that is sure to be appreciated by home theater enthusiasts. The inclusion of a well designed and comprehensive set of interactive bonus features enhances an already strong package that comes highly recommended. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Awesome review--I have this on pre-order--should be a nice test of my continuing HT project. I've relocated to a smaller, easier to pressurize room--should be a nice test of my efforts including my new PC13-Ultra. I love the Potter series--and this should be a nice one. Thanks for the great review!

Bob

post #3 of 65 Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
LOVE the books...and the movies keep getting better and better. I'll be renting this one before seeing part 2 this summer (I'll wait for the boxed set to purchase).

If you mentioned it, i missed it....but I can't wait to see the animated segment again, I'm sure it looks sweet on Blu
post #4 of 65 Old 04-06-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

If you mentioned it, i missed it....but I can't wait to see the animated segment again, I'm sure it looks sweet on Blu

Greetings,

I didn't mention it but you're right it looks great.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #5 of 65 Old 04-06-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Nice review as always. Keep up the good work Ralph.
post #6 of 65 Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I missed this one in the theater - but I am really looking forward to seeing it on Blu-Ray! I wasn't sure when it was coming out, so when I saw your review I was excited thinking it had come out this week. That's ok, I will be getting it as soon as it is available!

-Aaron

- actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #7 of 65 Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 PM

Good review. Like your kids, I have read the books and also find the movies lacking...
post #8 of 65 Old 04-06-2011, 01:50 PM

I'm really surprised that your kids (and nickinhb) aren't fans of the newer movies. Nearly everything has improved from film to film (especially the acting)
-For me, the first 2 movies are too married to the books...there's just no excitement there for me.
-Then came Prisoner, which seems to be the non-readers' favorite....but to me, that one deviated from the book in so many ways, the movie just doesn't make any sense at all.
-Goblet was a bit better though, but seemed rushed.
-Then Order (a book I hated) came around and I loved it. I felt it was the first one to truly be a good "film".
-Half Blood Prince, I loved. I understand people hated the ending, but I didn't mind it, I figured they were saving the BIG battle for the final movie.
-And while it's not completely fair to judge Deathly Hollows (since it's half the story), I'd call it a huge success. It has great action, some nice emotionally charged scenes, and leaves you wanting to see part two RIGHT NOW. If I had one complaint, it would be
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Dobby's death. It just didn't work for me like it did in the books. I guess it's mostly because we saw Dobby in the 2nd movie, and that was it. Then suddenly he's back, he saves Harry and....he's dead. It should have been a tear jerking moment, but it just wasn't for me.
post #9 of 65 Old 04-06-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Big HP fan here and thought this movie delivered! Blu ray wise i'm really itching to get this one but i know after all the episodes and installments have been published the studio will come out with a complete version of everything from the very first HP til the last one.

No more double dipping! Avatar did a good job of doing that.
post #10 of 65 Old 04-06-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Ralph -- Thanks for your review. I can hardly wait to get this BD and behold what I gather from your reviews is a soundtrack for the ages.

I have read all the Harry Potter books and loved every one of them. I have also seen all of the earlier Harry Potter films except this one. Generally speaking, I haven't liked the films as well as I did the books but thought they were excellent nonetheless. Consequently I am looking forward to this latest installment for reasons other than your stellar review of its soundtrack, although that's a big reason.
post #11 of 65 Old 04-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Liked: 16
Question?. If you have all the first series of harry potter on dvd 4x3 format,should i re buy them on blu ray? i'd hate to do it,because it would cost a lot for the full package to 1-5 etc
post #12 of 65 Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Cant wait to pick this up Ralph. I enjoyed it when I watched it in the movies but I found the theatre where we watched it the PQ was horrible. Im sure the BD will be better

Frank

post #13 of 65 Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post
Question?. If you have all the first series of harry potter on dvd 4x3 format,should i re buy them on blu ray? i'd hate to do it,because it would cost a lot for the full package to 1-5 etc
if you like the series, isn't the answer obvious? it's a shame you missed Amazon's black friday deal, you could have gotten them all for 39 bucks I think. now it's at 69.99

not sure if links are inappropriate or not (please edit this post if they are):
http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Y...2178070&sr=1-3
post #14 of 65 Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

if you like the series, isn't the answer obvious? it's a shame you missed Amazon's black friday deal, you could have gotten them all for 39 bucks I think. now it's at 69.99

not sure if links are inappropriate or not (please edit this post if they are):
http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Y...2178070&sr=1-3

...or get them individually for $15 at Walmart.
post #15 of 65 Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 AM

Liked: 16
Ah!,thanks for that bad news yup,didn't know about that lol.
post #16 of 65 Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I thought this installment was pretty good, and enjoyed it very much but I had in the back of my mind that they where going to leave us in some cliffhanger until the next part.

All in all what to give it another view before watching Part 2.

Something another member mention, I can see that they add some sort of digital grain or something as I understand that it's a creative intent, it was quite heavy in certain dark, or foggy senes. Over I did really minded much, as it was in the Imax, and one is pretty much over whelm from the whole experience.

Once they releast the entire 7? disc I get them, as I own these in HD, either the UK verion, and US, etc.

Thansk for the awesome review Ralph.

Djoel

post #17 of 65 Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

...or get them individually for $15 at Walmart.

Sams Club has years 1-6 ( individual cases) with blu ray, dvd ( widescreen ) and windows media digital copy for $15.88 a piece.

There is an app for the iphone to play the digital copies on your iphone but it requires software on your pc and the app.
post #18 of 65 Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM

amazon is still way cheaper than Walmart of Sam's (unless you don't want them all)....plus no tax on amazon
post #19 of 65 Old 04-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I was going to hold off on buying this but an amazing soundtrack will get me to purchase it asap.
post #20 of 65 Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 PM
CIH USER

Just thinking about it I might end up renting the movie first and then pick up the ultimate edition when it's released.

Frank

post #21 of 65 Old 04-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Bestbuy will have years 1-6 ( individual cases) for 9.99 each on 4/15/11.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 (Blu-ray) 16.99 blu-ray only & 22.99 Blu-ray, DVD & Digital.
post #22 of 65 Old 04-08-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaller View Post

Bestbuy will have years 1-6 ( individual cases) for 9.99 each on 4/15/11.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 (Blu-ray) 16.99 blu-ray only & 22.99 Blu-ray, DVD & Digital.

Nice deal!
I have the last 2 on blu-ray and the others on DVD... are the blu-ray versions of the first 4 pretty solid, or should I just stick with my DVD copies?

-Aaron

- actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #23 of 65 Old 04-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Wow! A higher audio rating than TRON Legacy?

Guess I'll be picking this one up! Appreciate the review as usual, Ralph.

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

post #24 of 65 Old 04-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

I have the Half Blood Prince. I can't decide whether to pick up more individual releases, the years 1-5 box set, or wait until all the installments are finished.
post #25 of 65 Old 04-09-2011, 03:42 AM

Goosey " I have the Half Blood Prince. I can't decide whether to pick up more individual releases, the years 1-5 box set, or wait until all the installments are finished. "

Do you think it will be cheaper than 9.99 each ?, if so wait, if not jump on it.
post #26 of 65 Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosey View Post

I have the Half Blood Prince. I can't decide whether to pick up more individual releases, the years 1-5 box set, or wait until all the installments are finished.

My recommendation is to wait until all the installments are finished.
post #27 of 65 Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaller View Post

Do you think it will be cheaper than 9.99 each ?, if so wait, if not jump on it.

I think eventually the box set will work out to be around $9.99 each with added features (maybe just a box). The question is what special editions will be out and the pricing on them. I'm not a big enough fan of the movies to spend much more than $10-20 more for a spiffy box and extra content.

Anyhow. I haven't made up my mind yet. It makes sense for me to just buy individually since I already got one. I just don't know if there's going to be some sort of ultimate edition that would interest me (there would have to be better PQ which I highly doubt will come to reality).
post #28 of 65 Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 AM
CIH USER

Picked up my copy today I was going to rent it but I thought twice ( Hey wabo ). Will watch it Saturday Night.

Frank

post #29 of 65 Old 04-14-2011, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Didn't even need to read the review.

Blind bought 2 days ago.
post #30 of 65 Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 AM