The King's Speech (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 148
attachment.php?attachmentid=208500&d=1302389876
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: The Weinstein Company - 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 119 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Timothy Spall, Derek Jacobi, Michael Gambon
Directed by: Tom Hooper
Music by: Alexander Desplat
Written by: David Seidler
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 19, 2011

"It takes leadership to confront a nation's fear. It takes friendship to conquer your own."

Film Synopsis:

When England’s throne is suddenly thrust upon him, amidst royal family scandal and impending world war, King George VI must overcome a lifelong, debilitating speech impediment to lead his nation. After his iron-willed, compassionate wife Elizabeth secretly enlists an eccentric speech therapist, the two men forge an unlikely friendship that will ultimately empower the monarch to find his voice, inspire his people and rally the world.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=208688&d=1302576984

Public speaking has always made me a barrel of nerves. In the opening scene, when King George VI (Colin Firth) approached the microphone at Wembley Stadium to give 'The King's Speech', I was riddled with anxiety. This is a testament to how effective Tom Hooper's direction was, as the plot of the film had not yet been fully introduced.

Colin Firths portrayal of the stuttering English Duke of York, was absolutely wonderful. Not just in the believability of his 'stammer', but in the way he emoted having a big heart deep below his guarded nature. He also conveyed an intoxicating uncertainty as he not only worked to overcome his stuttering speech pattern, but ultimately learned to overcome himself. After trying every so-called cure for his stutter, from a mouthful of marbles to smoking, his wife, played with much needed comic relief by Helena Bonham Carter, sends him off to meet Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush). He reluctantly agrees to work with Lionel, a speech therapist of Australian descent, to try to overcome his speech impediment. Their unlikely friendship gives him a new outlook on the common man, the world, and a confidence to take the throne after the abdication of his brother, Edward VIII, and in the beginnings of WWII. The interactions between Firth and Rush are thrilling display of acting chops, and their on-screen chemistry was nothing short of a joy to watch.

From direction to acting, script and pacing, I found 'The King's Speech' to be engaging, fully enjoyable and worthy of all the accolades and superlatives it has received. It won Best Film, Best Actor, as well as Director in the 83rd Academy Awards. It also received nominations for Best Supporting Actor and Actress. This is one not to be missed!

Parental Guide:

Rated R for some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

Video: 82

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=121037369
'The King's Speech' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22.9 mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 mbps.

From the opening shots, it is evident we will be treated to great details by the definition in the BBC Studios microphones grille. Unfortunately these details, though rendered quite well on close-ups, appear a bit soft on long shots. Shadow detail and black levels is where this release was lacking the most, appearing crushed and noisy a bit more often that I would like to have seen. Colors felt natural, though, at times a bit understated; they were grounded with Flesh-tones that looked spot-on.

DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound track was very nice for what seemed to the primary focus, voices. Geoffrey Rush had a buttery warmth in the low end when his voice rumbled, while the clicks and pops in Colin Firth's stutter came through with a crisp level of articulation. Surrounds were used quite well, but seeing that this is a dialogue driven film, it was mostly for atmospherics like echoes in the large, open rooms of most the films locals. Alexandre Desplat's score was the most compelling aspect of the mix, not only sounding superb, but adding much needed dynamics.

attachment.php?attachmentid=208689&d=1302576984

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary With Director Tom Hooper

• (HD) Making of Featurette: An Inspirational Story of An Unlikely Friendship

• (HD) Q&A With The Director & The Cast Including Colin Firth

• Speeches From The Real King George VI

• The Real Lionel Logue Highlights

• Previews: Blue Valentine, The Company Men

Final Thoughts:

'The Kings Speech' is worthy of all the accolades it has received. Though I had a few minute issues with the video presentation, I found it to be a well above average Blu-ray release. The supplemental features were worth the time to view, and I did quite enjoy the Q&A, as well as listening to speeches from the real King George VI. If you have yet to see 'The Kings Speech' I highly suggest viewing it in its original form (not the PG-13 re-release), as one of my favorite scenes will surely be missed. This release comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

Panasonic TC-P65VT25
Marantz SR5005 Receiver
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Artison Portrait LCR and Artison LRS Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Dynamo 500 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the great review Lee, I can't wait to watch this when it comes out.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:13 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Looking forward to watch this soon!!

Frank
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Saw it in theaters before all the hype, and I enjoyed it. I just don't think it's even close to being Best Picture worthy....it's just a good little film
Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Greetings,

I enjoyed this one as well and loved both Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush's performances. Lee, I noticed some intermittent noise as well. The most glaring instance was during the dinner sequence in chapter 5. The dark curtains in the background were crawling a bit.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Lee,

Saw this one in the theater and agree with your assessment of the story. Nice write up. This is one intend to buy.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I enjoyed this one as well and loved both Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush's performances. Lee, I noticed some intermittent noise as well. The most glaring instance was during the dinner sequence in chapter 5. The dark curtains in the background were crawling a bit.

Regards,

I noticed the exact same thing.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
Old 04-14-2011, 03:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 147
To me, the Oscar should have gone to Geoffrey. The words polished, nuanced come to mind. A stellar performance by him.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:42 AM
AEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

To me, the Oscar should have gone to Geoffrey. The words polished, nuanced come to mind. A stellar performance by him.

I second that comment. I purchased the book and read it. Ironically, the book followed the film, as opposed to the other way around. But I guess part of my interest (and bias in favoring the underdog) is the fact that Lionel Logue as played by Geoffrey Rush, was an "everyman" character. Without Lionel, there is no story, just a stuttering King. And Rush played him to perfection. My 2 cents.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Boring flick. Great acting, but drab story. Not recommended for people who don't smell like mothballs.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted_oak View Post

Boring flick. Great acting, but drab story. Not recommended for people who don't smell like mothballs.

From watching the trailer this was pretty much what i gathered.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Saw it in theaters before all the hype, and I enjoyed it. I just don't think it's even close to being Best Picture worthy....it's just a good little film

It was a bit slow at times and I also think it should not have won BP (but what SHOULD have instead?) .

Firth deserved the BA Oscar for this. I know all to well what it is like dealing with someone with a severe speech impeiment (mother). CF's performance was flawless.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

In his commentary on the Gosford Park dvd Robert Altman revealed that he deliberately threw in 4 F-bombs to get an R rating to keep adolescents out

Steve S.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Can't stop laughing at this comment. I'm an ophthalmologist so trust me, I know that old person smell.

F-ing hilarious.

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"

Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Excellent film! The picture quality on this one is quite grainy and shows a lot of noise in some scenes.. Audio quality on the other hand is ok...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Marantz AV8802, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D, PS Audio Power Plant Premier
HT-Being re-designed and re-built.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

In his commentary on the Gosford Park dvd Robert Altman revealed that he deliberately threw in 4 F-bombs to get an R rating to keep adolescents out

In this case it didn't work.

Fantastic human drama, beautiful writing and acting all around. 4 stars.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Great.... so the movie and Blu-Ray are both giant snooze-fests.

An overrated film.

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Quick shot of my gear/theater.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralXTC View Post

Great.... so the movie and Blu-Ray are both giant snooze-fests.

An overrated film.

There you have it folks..the definitive review..lol
Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It wasn't a review it's called a comment. Opinions are like *******s we all have one, you didn't see me slamming those who were "commenting" on how they thought it was great, did you?

Now buzz off.

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Quick shot of my gear/theater.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 681
I loved The King's Speech when I saw it in the theater and loved it even more when I watched the BD last night. It is brilliant, filled with great performances and great writing. I admit it, The King's Speech moved me. It is a quiet and thoughtful human drama without a bang, boom, or chase sequence to be found. As we have seen from some of the posts here, some moviegoers with short attention spans just don't get such a picture.

When I was watching the BD last night I had trouble with the audio during part of it. I had set my AV receiver for the DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track with PL-IIx used to enable the back surround speakers. For awhile I was getting only white noise out of the back surrounds. Whether it was caused my my BD player or AV receiver I can't say but it probably wasn't the BD itself. I took a break while I was watching the movie and after I came back the problem cured itself and all 7 channels worked perfectly. Go figure.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Pretty amazing movie that kind of sneaks up on you and leaves you with a lump in the throat at the end. Great acting all the way around, glad to see that Geoffrey Rush got numerous nominations as well.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 04-20-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Pretty amazing movie that kind of sneaks up on you and leaves you with a lump in the throat at the end. Great acting all the way around, glad to see that Geoffrey Rush got numerous nominations as well.

I was particularly gratified that Colin Firth got the Best Actor Oscar for his wonderful performance as George VI, it was richly deserved. I was disappointed, though, that Helena Bonham Carter didn't win an Oscar, too, for her performance as the future Queen Mum.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I loved this movie, but I would rate the video quality quite a bit lower. The video noise was so bad in a couple of scenes that I noticed it more than the acting. Fortunately, the ending scenes were OK, so my lasting impressions of the movie are positive.

So many movies these days have such a frenetic pace that it was quite refreshing to see a movie take its time to develop the friendship between these people.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I know this was a well received movie but still, the story line at face value sounds a bit boring, but I wanted to see for my self and I'm glad I did. This was an outstanding movie in every respect--so much more than I anticipated. For me, the video and audio quality were spot on--pretty much as evaluated by Lee. This was the first Blu Ray I watched with my new Marantz 6005 and although it wasn't too tough a test, it performed admirably--the dialog was imaged perfectly.

Bob

Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 PM

Anyone else have playback problems with the regular DVD? It plays back fine on my dvd player, but fails hard around chapter 14 in my PC. Power DVD and VLC experience the same problem. It looks like compression/decompression problems, almost like a fading ATSC channel... I'm really stumped on this one...
LL
Old 05-03-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 285
DVD...what's that?

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
Old 05-03-2011, 10:01 PM

LOL... My media server is only 4tb at the moment, gotta save space somehow...
Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I had some audio drop-out near the end of the BD. Also my projector said it was 1080i/60 even though this review said 1080p/24. I checked my player and it was set for auto 24p. It was Netflix disk. Did they do this?

I wondered what that smell was that seem to hang around me. Mothball? Yikes! No wonder my wife and I loved this movie. We were alive then.

Jack
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 PM
CIH USER

Finally get a chance to watch this tonight. I'm looking forward to it.

Frank
Old 05-10-2011, 09:31 AM
CIH USER

Great film. I really enjoyed it.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags