The Green Hornet 3D & 2D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Good review Lee and I agree with a lot of your points.

I went into this with low expectations, and liked it much more than I was expecting. I enjoyed the comedy, and while Rogen can be over the top, it didn’t bother me in this film and I went into from the start expecting some of it.
Would mildly recommend this one to friends who like this genre of film (superheroes)
Picture quality was great: clean, accurate color with excellent contrast, and I thought the audio was very good too, with good clear dialogue and good dynamics.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ: 4 out of 5, Film 3.5 out of 5

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 05-14-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Good review Lee and I agree with a lot of your points.

I went into this with low expectations, and liked it much more than I was expecting. I enjoyed the comedy, and while Rogen can be over the top, it didn't bother me in this film and I went into from the start expecting some of it.
Would mildly recommend this one to friends who like this genre of film (superheroes)
Picture quality was great: clean, accurate color with excellent contrast, and I thought the audio was very good too, with good clear dialogue and good dynamics.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ: 4 out of 5, Film 3.5 out of 5

Dan

Thanks Dan.

I have seen it once since (in 3D) and really found myself liking Kato even more...
post #33 of 42 Old 05-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Sorry that it was not clear. There is a 3D optimized mix that differs from the 2D mix. I also noticed a mistake in my audio thoughts and cleared it up. I gave the audio an 88 of 100, which is just under reference. I gave the surround 4.5 of 5, and you wont be disappointed as they are quite active!

Also, thanks for the kind words!

Hey now! Absolutely no need for an apology, Lee!

Thank you for finding out about the differing mixes, appreciate it. I recently watched the 2D Blu-Ray and I'd agree with your score and perhaps even go slightly lower around 85.

I found the mix to be overly loud or something... I've never had to turn the volume down on a movie after about an hour of viewing and I had to do it with this one. First time I've ever gotten ear fatigue, I don't know if it's mixed too loud or what but I didn't really like the audio on this disc it was just too in your face and compressed in spots. The surrounds do get quite a lot of usage especially in a few key scenes but there's just something I can't quite put my finger on about this mix.... perhaps it's not the mix I should be complaining about but the mastering? I did enjoy some of the mixing with regards to pans and envelopment during key scenes.

A good comparison imo is Ninja Assassin, it's got an extremely aggressive mix with very very aggressive use of the surrounds for both discrete/panning effects and ambience but it seems like it's balanced a lot better with no need to reach for the remote.

As for the movie I thought it started out pretty strong and really faded during the last half. Kato was great but other than that I actually kind of disliked this movie, perhaps it's got something to do with the direction of Seth Rogen's character... he comes off as a pretty big dickhead and I don't know why they went that route.

Cheers!

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Quick shot of my gear/theater.
post #34 of 42 Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I tended to agree w/ Ralph's review more.

Though I've low expectation, this is a quite forgettable popcorn flick, other than Jay and Christopher. Cameron is really getting old in this one.
post #35 of 42 Old 05-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Liked: 17
The movie was only interesting because (for once in many decades) the main character was made a complete ass. This confirms a huge change in the type of typical Hollywood moguls. The other lead was made to be very cool. Their chemistry was just awful.
Not even worth a dollar rental.
post #36 of 42 Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Video store finally have it in. Will give it a go tonight.

Frank

post #37 of 42 Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I didn't necessarily dislike this film, but it didn't do much for me either. I found myself losing interest at points along the way, and it wasn't quite as funny as I'd hoped. I typically enjoy Seth Rogan's stuff, and I'm a HUGE fan of Christoph Waltz, but I was more let down by this one than I was satisfied.
post #38 of 42 Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I actually enjoyed it ( maybe it was because I was going in with low expectations who knows) I didn't mind it at all. The audio definitely rocked with some you beaut LFE thrown in.

Will buy it when it gets cheaper.

Frank

post #39 of 42 Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Boy in BKK View Post

The problem with American comedians is that they are OK in little 5 minute skits or on Letterman, however they just do not have the talent, or the restraint to carry a 2 hour movie. The only exceptions to that were the late great John Candy and sometimes, I say sometimes Steve Martin. I cringe when ever I watch Jack Black or Will Farrell. I think Farrell is as funny as Colon Cancer, and just as painful. The moment I heard that Rogen was going to star in GH my heart dropped. What a sin. SNL Comedians should stick to SNL.

Blu-Boy in BKK, if you have Netflix search for
Patrice O'Neal: Elephant in the Room
and give him fifteen minutes without prejudging, he's from Boston.

If you are the Smartest of all your friends, then you're Dumb
post #40 of 42 Old 06-05-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:

The problem with American comedians is that they are OK in little 5 minute skits or on Letterman, however they just do not have the talent, or the restraint to carry a 2 hour movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhthakuga View Post

Blu-Boy in BKK, if you have Netflix search for
Patrice O'Neal: Elephant in the Room
and give him fifteen minutes without prejudging, he's from Boston.

I thought of the late George Carlin's wonderful HBO comedy specials. They were often raunchy but they were very funny. Don't dismiss him as just the guy who said on television "The seven words you can never say on television." Carlin was an intensely intelligent and eloquent man who loved language and used it brilliantly. Perhaps the most amazing part of this career was that there were 14 HBO performances, filmed over the course of 31 years. Remembering Carlin confirmed, for me at least, that making broad generalizations about comedians, or about anything else, is a bad idea.
post #41 of 42 Old 06-05-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The problem with American comedians is that they are OK in little 5 minute skits or on Letterman, however they just do not have the talent, or the restraint to carry a 2 hour movie. The only exceptions to that were the late great John Candy and sometimes, I say sometimes Steve Martin. I cringe when ever I watch Jack Black or Will Farrell. I think Farrell is as funny as Colon Cancer, and just as painful. The moment I heard that Rogen was going to star in GH my heart dropped. What a sin. SNL Comedians should stick to SNL.

FYI - John Candy was Canadian.

Seth Rogen wasn't a regular on SNL - he's hosted the show a few times.

With that being said, I certainly didn't care for Rogen's character in this movie. It's tough to say how much he drove the character vs. what the director wanted. I thought Seth was good in Knocked Up & Pineapple Express - so IMO he's shown he can do well in a full length film. Oh - btw - he's also Canadian.
post #42 of 42 Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Hum! Super Buffoon

If you are the Smartest of all your friends, then you're Dumb
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Green Hornet Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page