Feature running time: 150 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman, Don Gordon, Anthony Zerbe, William Smithers, Woodrow Parfrey,
Directed by: Franklin J. Schaffner
Music by: Jerry Goldsmith
Written by: Dalton Trumbo & Lorenzo Semple Jr. based on the book by Henri Charriere
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 24, 2011

"The greatest adventure of escape"

Film Synopsis:

They called him Papillon, meaning buttlerfly. If only he had wings to go with the name. Unable to fly, Henri Charriere virtually willed himself free. He persisted until he did the impossible: escape Devil's Island. Shot in Spain and Jamaica Papillon is based on Charriere's bestseller.

My Take:

Directed by Franklin J. Schaffner and based on a bestselling book, Papillon is a true story about French ex-convict Henri Charriére a petty criminal who is unjustly convicted of murder, and his constant struggle to escape to freedom from the brutal French penal system in Guiana's infamous Devil's Island. I have said this before but I will say it again, Steve McQueen was just plain cool. His onscreen charisma and tough guy persona made him fun to watch. I haven't seen Papillon in years and jumped at the chance to review it when I saw it was coming to Blu-ray. My only experience with it was seeing it on television and I believe that was an edited version because I don't recall ever seeing the sequence where Papillon lives with the native people in the beach village. I guess that would make sense since the native women walk around bare breasted. There is a bit more violence than I recall also. The scene on the ship involving Papillon defending Dega from the two thugs comes to mind. There is a little action and suspense but this is most decidedly a dramatic film that portrays Papillon's struggle for freedom, the visceral nature of the human condition and the friendship that develops between himself and Dega. What I like most about this film is the nuanced performances by McQueen and Hoffman. It would be fair to say that Papillon was an ambitious undertaking especially in the early 1970's. Shot in parts of Spain and Jamaica its locations are beautifully captured and enhance the thematic nature of the story. Director Frank J. Schaffner paints with broad strokes which sometimes impacts flow but I don't find it to be to a deleterious degree. Having not seen it in a long time I thoroughly enjoyed this revisit. Fans are sure to be pleased with its high definition rendering on Blu-ray as it looks wonderful.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic elements, brief violence and partial nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 74

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Papillon comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This is a solid looking high def catalog release that presents this 38 year old film in a positive light. It boasts clean, well depicted primary colors and a good mix of secondary hues that mate well with the source material. Other than the film's opening sequence I found little to complain about in terms of the overall quality of the video. Resolution is discerning with varying degrees of delineation. The opening sequence is noticeably soft and almost appears out of focus at times. Beyond that sharpness is stable with lucid clarity which enhances depth. Black and white levels are spot on which gives a fair amount of pop to colors and brighter exterior sequences while keeping darker or low lit segments looking noticeably punchy with quiet blacks with visibly gradational detail in shadowy backgrounds. Grain is present and moderately textured. This is a pleasing video presentation that appears faithful to the film's original elements.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack delivered crisp dialogue in a mostly front oriented presentation that offered a few splashes of light ambience through the surround channels. There was minimal low frequency detail mixed to the subwoofer and while its effects never reached room engaging levels it was tangibly present in a few instances. The blend of Jerry Goldsmith's evocative music score, voices and sound effects through the front channel speakers was rendered with good clarity, limited but fair dimensional perspective and average depth. It never sounded thin or dynamically starved and based upon the dated elements in the recording sounded just fine.

Bonus Features:

• The magnificent rebel - 12 minute vintage featurette

• Theatrical trailer

• Comes packaged in a sturdy 32 page book style keep case with photos, talent files etc.

Final Thoughts:

I enjoy Papillon for its entertaining story, compelling performances and beautiful cinematography. I wouldn't necessarily qualify it as classic filmmaking but I am sure that its fans have an appreciation for it just the same. Those looking forward to its arrival on Blu-ray are in for a treat as it looks pretty darn good in high definition. The supplemental package is thin however the 32 page collectible Blu-ray Book makes for an excellent storage case/keepsake. Kudos to Warner for bringing Papillon to Blu-ray and for making this a worthwhile addition to any fans collection.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Decent movie, but the third act drags a bit. I would have been much better if 30-40 minutes were cut, but the performances are marvelous, that's for sure! Nice review Ralph.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #3 of 15 Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been a fan of Steve McQueen ever since the first time I saw his work. Yep, Mr. Cool. I have every thing he has done on film in my collection.Even some of his Bounty Hunter TV stuff. He was terrific in Papillon. In fact, IMHO, he should have won an Oscar for that role. I'll definitely get the Blu-ray because those scenes Ralph couldn't recall are not in the one dvd version I own, so perhaps this is a director's or an unrated cut.
post #4 of 15 Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

An excellent film -- one of my all-time fav's. I can't resist watching whenever its on TV....just "one of those films" that can be watched & holds your interest over & over.

Funny that the 'missing scene' is mentioned. I recall seeing this film in its theatrical release (as a teen)....let me tell you.....I definately recall that scene with the natives. It made quite an impression on me at the time.

Great review -- will inspire me to pick it up!
post #5 of 15 Old 05-18-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

I've been a fan of Steve McQueen ever since the first time I saw his work. Yep, Mr. Cool. I have every thing he has done on film in my collection.Even some of his Bounty Hunter TV stuff. He was terrific in Papillon. In fact, IMHO, he should have won an Oscar for that role. I'll definitely get the Blu-ray because those scenes Ralph couldn't recall are not in the one dvd version I own, so perhaps this is a director's or an unrated cut.

I just looked at my old DVD, one of those housed in cardboard with a black plastic flap on the right side for opening, and it says "Running Time 151 Minutes". According to Amazon.com, there was one version released on DVD on December 14, 1999 (probably the one I have), and another released on May 31, 2005, both of which have running times listed as 151 minutes. So I would venture to guess that the blu ray release is the same version, not any kind of director's cut.

Yes, fantastic movie, the kind I like to immerse myself in for an entire Saturday night, turn out the lights and get involved in the story. Does this blu ray warrant a double dip, Ralph???
post #6 of 15 Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Greetings,

I would say that it warrants an upgrade from the DVD Spellchecker ..

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 15 Old 05-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpellChecker View Post

So I would venture to guess that the blu ray release is the same version, not any kind of director's cut.

I haven't watched my DVD version for sometime so maybe I am just forgetting that scene, after all I am an old fogy .
post #8 of 15 Old 05-19-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
I can't wait to add this to my BR collection , one of the best Steve M. movies, maybe right up there with "Bullet" last time i seen it was in the theater , I never watched it on TV just cause I knew TV would Not do the film any justice.
Until I got My HT set-up this film is on a long list of films on my
...."" I'll wait till I have a Great HT set-up that will make certain films like I remember them "" ...
Ralph is a Great Reviewer & I have never felt he's sent me down the wrong path on his reviews of the Classics films that are now coming out on Blu-Ray
ThanX Ralph & keep up the Great Reviews !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #9 of 15 Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I can't wait to add this to my BR collection , one of the best Steve M. movies, maybe right up there with "Bullet" last time i seen it was in the theater , I never watched it on TV just cause I knew TV would Not do the film any justice.
Until I got My HT set-up this film is on a long list of films on my
...."" I'll wait till I have a Great HT set-up that will make certain films like I remember them "" ...
Ralph is a Great Reviewer & I have never felt he's sent me down the wrong path on his reviews of the Classics films that are now coming out on Blu-Ray
ThanX Ralph & keep up the Great Reviews !

Greetings,

Thanks Fastslappy. Be sure to post back once you have seen Papillon.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #10 of 15 Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
One of my favorite movies of all time. I saw this movie in the theater as a teenager and it left quite an impression on me. I own the DVD and have never felt the movie was slow in any way.

The acting is pitch perfect and not just the leads. The settings, the jungle, the horror of solitary...a great story. Can't wait to receive my BluRay.

Thanks for the review Ralph.

JTR Noesis 228 (LCR)
Polk Audio LSiM 703 (Surrounds)
Seaton SubMersive HP Plus and Minus (Subs)
Denon 3312 (Receiver)
Sherbourn PA 7-350 (Amp)
Oppo BDP-103 (BluRay Player)
Sharp 80" 3D
post #11 of 15 Old 05-22-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Another fan of Steve McQueen here.
This is also one of my favorites. I saw it in a theater when it was released, and I've seen it countless times since then.
I remember the chapter where he lives in the village for a while. I'd also guess that it's been edited out for TV broadcast.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

Another fan of Steve McQueen here.
This is also one of my favorites. I saw it in a theater when it was released, and I've seen it countless times since then.
I remember the chapter where he lives in the village for a while. I'd also guess that it's been edited out for TV broadcast.

2nd here.
Having watched it from theater release to vhs then dvd and definitely BR for sure.
Another great classic from Steve McQueen.

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune:

post #13 of 15 Old 05-27-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The only movie that you will see Steve McQueen wearing sandals.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-10-2012, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I bought a DVD before realizing they had a BR version out.

Exactly how much better is the BR vs DVD for this nearly 40-year old film? PQ-wise and sound-wise?
post #15 of 15 Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc50 View Post

I bought a DVD before realizing they had a BR version out.
Exactly how much better is the BR vs DVD for this nearly 40-year old film? PQ-wise and sound-wise?

Greetings,

The improvement easily justifies the upgrade especially if you're a fan. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Papillon Blu Ray Book

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page