Feature running time: 84 minutes
Genre: Animation/Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Voices: James McAvoy, Emily Blunt, Michael Caine, Jason Statham, Maggie Smith, Ashley Jensen, Patrick Stewart, Ozzy Osbourne, Julie Walters
Directed by: Kelly Asbury
Music by: James Newton Howard & Chris Bacon ( Featuring music by Elton John & Bernie Taupin)
Region Code: 1

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 24, 2011

"A little adventure goes a lawn way"

Film Synopsis:

From a director of Shrek 2 comes your chance to step into the secret world of garden gnomes Gnomeo & Juliet. Perfect for the whole family, this fresh and funny makeover of one of the world's most timeless stories features music from Sir Elton John, and the voice talents of Emily Blunt, James McAvoy and Sir Michael Caine. Caught up in a feud between neighbors, Gnomeo and Juliet must overcome as many obstacles as their namesakes. But with flamboyant pink flamingos and epic lawnmower races, can this young couple find lasting happiness? Complete with hilarious never-before-seen bonus features, Gnomeo & Juliet is an out-of-the-ordinary animated comedy your entire family will love. We just gnome it!

My Take:

Gnomeo and Juliet tells the story of two feuding neighbors, the Capulets and Montague's, who constantly duel over who has the better lawn/garden. Both share a love of garden gnomes and adorn them in red (Capulet) and blue (Montague). When the neighbors leave their backyards their respective gnomes come to life and share in their feuding nature. The clans are constantly at odds regarding who has the garden and frequently engage in competitions to try and prove it. One evening a disguised Juliet ventures into the greenhouse in search of the last remaining orchid when she bumps into a disguised Gnomeo who was in the process of seeking revenge by infiltrating the Red garden. There is an instant attraction and they fall in love on the spot. The two plan to meet again however before hand they discover that they are in fact from opposing clans. Regardless Gnomeo and Juliet continue to meet secretly until they are accidentally found out. The result is all out garden to garden warfare with an outcome that is quite different than what Shakespeare had in mind.

I knew little about Gnomeo and Juliet going into this review but as a fan of animated family entertainment I figured it would have something to offer, and it did. Coming from Rocket Pictures, the brainchild of Elton John and David Furnish, this is a cute little story that is conceptually based on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. It lacks the endearing characters and heartwarming quality of classic Disney features but is lots of fun just the same. Elton John's music is featured throughout and includes three new songs written just for this film. The cast is primarily made up of well known British actors and features, James McAvoy as Gnomeo and Emily Blunt as Juliet. Screen veterans Michael Caine, Julie Walters, Maggie Smith and Patrick Stewart lend their talents in smaller roles while celebrity personalities Hulk Hogan and Ozzy Osbourne add a little hard edged flavor to the cast. I enjoyed Gnomeo and Juliet and felt that its 84 minute runtime was time well spent.

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for all audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 88

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Gnomeo and Juliet 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.5 Mbps.

So far I have been satisfied with what I have seen of the 3D formatted high definition Blu-ray releases that have come my way and Gnomeo and Juliet is no exception. This is a sparkling 3D presentation that features few examples of overtly gimmicky effects but emphasizes excellent depth and dimension. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects and characters layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. Fidelity appears intact as the film's gorgeous colors, rich contrast and stable blacks are beautifully rendered and natural. Comparing this to the 2D version in terms of the rendering of detail, color reproduction and contrast I found them to be very similar. I didn't notice any distracting signs of ghosting/crosstalk or 3D related anomalies. I thought it looked terrific.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack makes effective use of the surround platform and offers detail rich sonic clarity, crystalline dialogue and robust bass response. This mix doesn't bombard you with aggressive surround sound. It applies it when appropriate and combines discretely placed directional cues with rear channel ambience that fills the listening area nicely. The front and rear sound field's never collide but work in unison to render the soundtrack with precise imaging and acoustic placement. Dynamic's are excellent but not up to the level of the best lossless sound that I have heard. This is a well rounded audio presentation that mates well with the source material and sounds great.

Gnomeo and Juliet - 2D Video Quality:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Gnomeo and Juliet comes to standard Blu-ray from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps.

This is beautifully crafted animation that looks superb in high definition. Images are awash with lustrous and slightly oversaturated hues that make for visually engaging eye candy. Greens are particularly vivid with visible gradational stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Each of the characters has distinctive physical qualities that are attributable to them and all are easily discernable. The video is immaculately resolved with pristine quality and fine minutia that shows strict attention to detail. The facial features of the various characters have a lifelike quality that allows them to display a varied range of emotions. Contrast and black levels strike a great balance as whites are bright, detailed and punchy while blacks exhibit discernible depth and dynamic range. This is a resplendent, polished, and beautifully rendered Blu-ray presentation that looks fabulous on my large front projection display.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• 3D Blu-ray version

• Disc 2:

• Standard Blu-ray version - includes the following bonus features:

• (HD) Elton builds a garden - 5 minute featurette

• 2 Alternate endings with filmmaker introductions

• 8 deleted/alternate scenes with filmmaker introductions

• (HD) Frog talk with Ashley Jensen - 2 minute feature

• (HD) The Fawn of Darkness - 1 minute feature with Ozzy Osbourne

• (HD) Crocodile Rock music video

• Disc 3:

• Bonus DVD/Digital Copy of Gnomeo and Juliet

Final Thoughts:

Gnomeo and Juliet is an unoriginal but cute family film that doesn't strike the resonating chord of the best animated films but still makes for an enjoyable way to spend 84 minutes. This three disc Blu-ray package from Disney includes the feature film in high definition in both 3D and 2D flavors with each offering excellent video quality and involving DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. The supplemental features are just average however a third disc containing both the standard definition DVD of the film and Digital copy is a nice bonus. If you are already a fan this is a worthwhile purchase otherwise it only qualifies as a rental either for the kids on a rainy Saturday afternoon or to check out its 3D presentation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
JVC PK-AG1 3D Glasses
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The trailer didn't leave much of an impression on me. Think it's maybe the whole character thing.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Thanks for the review Ralph. My kids are looking forward to watch this.

Frank

post #4 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Thanks for the review Ralph. My kids are looking forward to watch this.

In glorious 2D I assume

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #5 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

In glorious 2D I assume

I don't have 3D yet Tom. For know it will have to be 2D

Frank

post #6 of 18 Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 233
This movie was a lot of fun, and I'm fairly certain i enjoyed it more than the kids. They are too little for the 3D glasses (I have an RS50 with a 142" 16:9 screen) so I have to watch it in 2D first.

The 3D is great and adds even more fun to the movie. I am still trying to figure out who was Ozzy Osborne's character in the film.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

This movie was a lot of fun, and I'm fairly certain i enjoyed it more than the kids. They are too little for the 3D glasses (I have an RS50 with a 142" 16:9 screen) so I have to watch it in 2D first.

The 3D is great and adds even more fun to the movie. I am still trying to figure out who was Ozzy Osborne's character in the film.

Greetings,

Jason, Ozzy Osbourne's character was the Fawn..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #8 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
With a coupon and a 3 year old at home, I may have to buy.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I saw this in a theater and did not like it at all. Couldn't wait till it was over. My wife however found it cute also.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mine should arrive Friday, kids are getting excited.

Frank

post #11 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 200
My five year old will be all over this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #12 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

My five year old will be all over this.

I keep getting is it here today regardless how many time you tell them it's Friday

Frank

post #13 of 18 Old 05-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Watched this (2d) last night. The movie never really took off for me for whatever reason. It seemed geared towards kids mainly which I am sure was the biggest problem. Audio was very conservative. PQ was fantastic.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #14 of 18 Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Absolutely could not stand this turkey and ejected it after 10 min. Strictly for small children only. PQ was terrific though, but so what?
post #15 of 18 Old 05-26-2011, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Watched this (2d) last night. The movie never really took off for me for whatever reason. It seemed geared towards kids mainly which I am sure was the biggest problem. Audio was very conservative. PQ was fantastic.

Well my kids are excited they get it today. I hope ill enjoy it after reading some of the threads I'm kinda going in with low expectations for myself.

Frank

post #16 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I thought the movie started off kind of slow but had a certain undeniable charm. The humor was a bit lacking but I did get a good laugh from the Terraforminator advert. Also enjoyed Gnomeo's discussion with the Shakespeare statue.

The PQ was off the charts and one of the best-looking animated films I've seen in awhile. I was really impressed with the intricate details visible on each of the gnomes and the colors were rich and vibrant. I would say the movie is worth watching at least once just for the visuals!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #17 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Finished watching the 2D version of it. The kids enjoyed it very much, I didn't mind it but it's a movie I'll watch again when the kids request it( hopefully not too soon ). The Pq was good (unfortunately cannot comment on 3D ) and your definitely spot on with the AQ Ralph.

Frank

post #18 of 18 Old 05-31-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just finished this up. I thought it was awful. Just terrible. I usually like animated movies, and even for those i don't, I can usually just keep myself entertained with visuals. Not in this case. Not that there was really anything wrong with the animation....just wasnt anything original. My wife fell asleep. My kid did enjoy it though but didn't want to keep the Netflix rental to watch a second time, which is unusual.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I did think they missed an opportunity to make the human couple the couple from the flamingo's flashback though. Thought I saw that coming....along with a flamingo reunion.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Gnomeo Juliet Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page