Feature running time: 105 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Nicholas Cage, Amber Heard, William Fichtner, Billy Burke, Charlotte Ross, Christa Campbell, Tom Atkins, Katy Mixon, Jack McGee, Todd Farmer, David Morse
Directed by: Patrick Lussier
Music by: Michael Wandmacher
Written by: Todd Farmer & Patrick Lussier
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 31, 2011

"Hell hath no fury like a vengeful father"

Film Synopsis:

In the high-octane, action-adventure Drive Angry, Nicolas Cage stars as Milton, an undead felon who breaks out of hell to avenge his murdered daughter and rescue her kidnapped baby from a band of cult-worshipping savages. Joined by tough-as-nails Piper (Amber Heard), the two set off on a rampage of redemption, all while being pursued by an enigmatic killer (William Fichtner) who has been sent by the Devil to retrieve Milton and deliver him back to hell.

My Take:

My teenage son asked me the other day, what's up with Nicholas Cage? Why is he appearing in all these crappy movies lately? I can't say that all of the films he has appeared in of late have been crappy but I can certainly understand the basis for his question. As a fan I have noticed that he has been quite busy but I have also noticed the downward trend in the quality of the films he has been making. Drive angry falls right in line with my point although it isn't as bad as it might seem on the surface. Utilizing the grindhouse style formula it's an over the top action thriller with a surface level story about a deadbeat Dad, Milton, who is sent to hell for the crimes he committed in life. As part of his sentence he is forced to watch the sufferings of the loved ones he left behind. In this case his daughter, who joins an occult and dies at the hands of its devil worshiping leader who steals her baby for the purpose of sacrificing him to Satan. Fed up and out for revenge he escapes from hell and pursues the occult leader and his minions. Along the way he meets up with Piper, a tenacious, hot rod driving honey who opts to take up his banner of redemption. Hot on the trail of their target they encounter interference from a dark stranger who is actively pursuing them. His quest isn't immediately known but it's obvious his origins aren't earthly or heavenly. For Milton the end of the road holds little hope for salvation. What drives him is the young life that hangs in the balance and his insatiable desire for a reckoning.

This film definitely has the old drive-in triple feature gore fest feel to it. The plot and characters are analogous in that neither offers much depth or substance. Introductions are brief and things jump right into what you expect to see when you watch a film like this. Blood, carnage, gratuitous nudity and bad acting. Going in expecting anything else will only leave you disappointed. The things that make Drive Angry so bad are exactly what make it fun to watch. It provides an entertaining level of escapism that only requires that you sit back and watch. The story features a couple of great muscle cars from bygone eras and the level of action isn't bad. The ending is a little melodramatic and corny but I didn't necessarily find it to be out of place. The theme is perfectly suited for 3D and it takes full advantage of it. There are flying body parts, whizzing bullets, thrown objects, and sprayed blood that are meant to bring viewers closer to the action. The majority of those effects are apropos in that they are carried out within the film's excessive and garish style which sort of adds to its appeal. Nicholas Cage's appeal as an action hero has diminished but I am most decidedly still a fan. Amber Heard easily held her own and I look forward to seeing more from her. I typically enjoy William Fichtner and David Morse and watching them here was no different. Old time 80's character actor Tom Atkins was a nice surprise and he turned in a purposefully cheesy performance which I got a kick out of. So, is Drive angry worth an hour and a half of your time? If you take it for what it is I think so. Grab a bag of popcorn, check your brain at the door, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong brutal violence throughout, grisly images, some graphic sexual content, nudity and pervasive language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 92

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Drive angry comes to Blu-ray Disc from Summit Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.3 Mbps.

This is the first 3D title that I have seen from Summit Entertainment. I have several of their Blu-ray Disc releases in my collection and have found the quality of their offerings to generally be high. This film was shot in high definition 3D and the results are impressive. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is excellent as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or people layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. There are a variety of sequences that provide a gimmicky but fun reach out and touch sense of dimensionality. As I alluded to earlier Drive angry makes definitive use of the 3D platform with a noticeable emphasis on cheesy effects that are designed to elicit audience reaction via objects coming out of the screen etc. While I generally don't find this to be all that appealing I really liked how it was implemented here. It made the experience of the film a bit more fun. Contrast is noticeably boosted and colors are deeply saturated but not unnatural. The blend creates the visually dynamic effect the filmmakers were obviously striving for. Blacks are stable and rich and depth/dimension in darker sequences is quite good. I didn't notice any overtly distracting signs of ghosting/crosstalk. Drive angry is among the better 3D presentations I have seen and makes for a fun film experience.

The same lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is found on both the 2D and 3D versions. This Lossless DTS-HD MA surround mix accents the video presentation and makes regular use of the entire system to drive the film's elements.. This is a well balanced and active soundtrack that features pulsating bass that reaches far into the room to augment the dynamic impact associated with the films action based elements and music score. The surround channels are actively engaged with a blend of discretely placed sounds and spatial ambience that fills the room. Dynamic range is extended and visceral at times when combined with the high level of sonic detail present in the recording. I never had any trouble discerning subtle vocal inflections or the presence of low level sounds that were contained in the background. The mix facilitates seamless integration of the front and rear channels which creates a stable and well proportioned listening experience that is complimented by rich, room resonating bass that has excellent palpability and tight extension.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 86

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Drive angry comes to Blu-ray Disc from Summit Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps.

Overall I found this to be a satisfying yet somewhat inconsistent high definition video presentation. Ostensibly detail is abundant as close ups and mid level camera shots offer excellent delineation and crisp definition. Occasionally the perception of detail wavers leaving those same shots lacking fine articulation and clearly defined edges. The color range varies with some scenes having an intentionally muted/cooler palette while others feature vivid, over saturated primaries and rich hues that tend to catch the eye. Fleshtones offer good tonal variety and warm, lifelike complexions. Contrast is elevated which results in crisp whites that are mildly washed out. This doesn't negatively impact black levels as they appear a deep shade with discernible gradational quality. Scenes containing uneven or dim lighting revealed plenty of detail in shadowy backgrounds and darkened areas. While I preferred the 3D presentation this one still makes for a very decent high definition viewing experience.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• 3D version of Drive angry

• Disc 2:

• 2D version of Drive angry along with the following bonus features:

• Audio commentary with Patrick Lussier and Todd Farmer

• (HD) 2 Deleted scenes with optional filmmaker commentary

• (HD) Access Drive Angry - Interactive in film experience where viewers can track Miltons mayhem, see interviews with cast/crew and check out trivia and movie facts.

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=213493&d=1306787039

Final Thoughts:

Drive angry is an over the top action thriller with a grindhouse based exploitation theme that revolves around a surface level plot about redemption. It certainly won't win any awards however if you enjoy mindless action, a little gore, gratuitous violence and flashes of T&A you might just find it has something to offer. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Summit Entertainment in a two disc package that features a terrific high definition 3D presentation, involving lossless surround sound and a decent supplemental set that includes an interactive in-movie feature and filmmaker audio commentary. I wouldn't say that Drive angry qualifies as a blind buy but I would recommend it as rental when you have the gang over for a few beers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
JVC PK-AG1 3D Glasses
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
My teenage son asked me the other day, what's up with Nicholas Cage? Why is he appearing in all these crappy movies lately? I can't say that all of the films he has appeared in of late have been crappy but I can certainly understand the basis for his question. As a fan I have noticed that he has been quite busy but I have also noticed the downward trend in the quality of the films he has been making.
Isn't he in some serious financial trouble, IRS and such? That would explain a lot.
post #3 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Isn't he in some serious financial trouble, IRS and such? That would explain a lot.
He will make just about any movie for money. Alto they aren't academy award type movies I have enjoyed his last 5 or so movies. I saw this and enjoyed it too. Reminds me of Wesley Snipes, just cranking out a bunch of movies before he went to jail as if he was under contract to do X amount of movies for a studio. If I had to guess Cage has a contract to make a number of films and has to do them because He got paid in advance.
post #4 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Great review Ralph, I will add it to my 3D collection.
post #5 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 PM

Liked: 31
I guess this will makes it way "in"...Great review king P !
post #6 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I had added this to my Q a long long time ago. The other day I happened to look over my Q and noticed this title. I thought to myself, do I really want to take a chance on a Nic Cage film......? I didn't feel secure enough in taking that chance, so I promptly removed it. After reading your review Ralph, I am now going to add it, back to my Q!!!!!!

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #7 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Looking forward in receiving this soon. Thanks Ralph!!

Frank

post #8 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 71
While some of the films may be clunkers, Cage does personally enjoy certain types of films, particularly with a cinefantastique bent. His production company is called Saturn Films, one of their first releaes was SHADOW OF A VAMPIRE. He's a long-time comic book fan and GHOST RIDER was out of love for the character. (The second film, I assume he's doing to try to rectify issues people had with the first film.) SORCEROR'S APPRENTICE...why wouldn't he jump at the chance to be the wizard from FANTASIA. DRIVE ANGRY sounds right up his personal alley. However, those NATIONAL TREASURE films...no excuse for. If there's a third one, it's definitely a money grab.

post #9 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 09:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
This may be the best bad Blu-Ray movie I have ever bought. Ralph is right about the technical aspects as always. William Fichtner and Amber Heard are both wonderful and earned their money by saying the outre dialouge with straight faces. This movie tries to make "Piranha 3D" look like "Citizen Kane" and will provide you with more insane movie fun than you can imagine. Jump in!
post #10 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Looking forward in receiving this soon. Thanks Ralph!!

Nice review, Ralph. I saw this in the theater and it rocked!

Are you thinking of making the transition to 3D, Franin? I just picked this up, albeit the lowly 2D version.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Nice review, Ralph. I saw this in the theater and it rocked!

Are you thinking of making the transition to 3D, Franin? I just picked this up, albeit the lowly 2D version.

And it begins again lol .

I'm going 2D version also. . I'm suprised you went 2D I thought you were going 3D especially after looking at the Titan 3D projector. I'm looking forward to your review when you purchase that.

Frank

post #12 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 11:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey wabo btw what's the aspect ratio for the 2D version?

Frank

post #13 of 40 Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And it begins again lol .

I'm going 2D version also. . I'm suprised you went 2D I thought you were going 3D especially after looking at the Titan 3D projector. I'm looking forward to your review when you purchase that.

Lol. The Titan? You're crazy, Clarence. I've been reading that you're about to make the switch to 3D. In fact, you had the RS50 priced out and ready to be delivered. I look forward to your thoughts on 3D at home. I'll be 2D for quite some time to come.

Quote:

Hey wabo btw what's the aspect ratio for the 2D version?

1.78:1.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #14 of 40 Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Lol. The Titan? You're crazy, Clarence. I've been reading that you're about to make the switch to 3D. In fact, you had the RS50 priced out and ready to be delivered. I look forward to your thoughts on 3D at home. I'll be 2D for quite some time to come.

1.78:1.

I did wabo but it was beyond my budget. Know the Titan... Well that's another story and we all at AVS are looking forward to read your in depth review once you recieve it.

Macintosh gear and know the Titan viva waboman.

Frank

post #15 of 40 Old 05-31-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The only thing this movie has it going for it was T&A. lol! Too bad. Used to like majority of Nicks movie in the past but his recent movies are just bland. Good thing he's got these gorgeous women helping him out. lol!
post #16 of 40 Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

The only thing this movie has it going for it was T&A. lol! Too bad. Used to like majority of Nicks movie in the past but his recent movies are just bland. Good thing he's got these gorgeous women helping him out. lol!

His last few movies seem to cater to a certain audience, you will love or hate it but at least he's not apologizing for making them.
post #17 of 40 Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

His last few movies seem to cater to a certain audience, you will love or hate it but at least he's not apologizing for making them.

Good on him I reckon. I don't mind his films at all. I have a number of them in
My collection and this one has made it too when I receive it.

Frank

post #18 of 40 Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
He's been cracking them out for a long time now, so I wouldn't expect anything else but 10 flicks per year from good old Nick..There's a Mid-evil type coming out on Blu pretty soon.

Great review piqued my interested indeed.

Djoel
post #19 of 40 Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I went ahead and purchased even though I haven't seen the movie. I love Nic Cage in most anything and this sounds like a good one when the kids go to bed!
post #20 of 40 Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the review. I have this coming from Netflix tomorrow and will watch promptly. VERY dissapointed this movie is not in 2.35:1 format
post #21 of 40 Old 05-31-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Ralph gives it a 90 .. that's good enough for me .. not much new BD material this week anyway ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #22 of 40 Old 05-31-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did wabo but it was beyond my budget. Know the Titan... Well that's another story and we all at AVS are looking forward to read your in depth review once you recieve it.

Macintosh gear and know the Titan viva waboman.

Lol. The only Titan in my house is the movie Clash of the Titans... In 2D.

Now quit stalling, Franin. We all know you have the RS50 at home. Get it set up, take pics to share with us little folks, and fire up Drive Angry in 3D!

Quote:

Good on him I reckon. I don't mind his films at all. I have a number of them in
My collection and this one has made it too when I receive it.

I completely agree. I own several Nic Cage blu's and Drive Angry rocks!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #23 of 40 Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 PM

I love how damn silly this movie was and the slow motion motel "love" scene made the movie for me...just describing that scene to someone and they'll want to watch the movie.

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #24 of 40 Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 PM

Anyone know if this is region locked or free? cant find anywhere if its been confirmed

3D Display - Epson TW9000w 3D Projector | 3D Player - Panasonic BD-110 3D player/PS3 | 3D Receiver -  Onkyo TX-NR818 | Speakers - Klipsch Reference 5.1 Speakers | PB12-NSD SVS Subwoofer

post #25 of 40 Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbug View Post

Anyone know if this is region locked or free? cant find anywhere if its been confirmed

Been that it's summit entertainment more than likely it's region locked. I'll get my copy tomorrow( hopefully) and double check for you.

Frank

post #26 of 40 Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I thought most of the FX was pretty cheap and fake looking. Keeping expectations very low, this is worth a bag of popcorn and not much more. No surprises here.
post #27 of 40 Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbug View Post

According to the back of my copy it's region A.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #28 of 40 Old 06-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
This is a surprise- I thougth it was going to get thoroughly panned but it sounds like some people actually enjoyed it.

I wonder, since it seems to be in the same Genre, how would this compare to "Fast Five"? Both feature muscle cars and over-the-top action. Sounds like this plot is so far-fetched it almost seems like a cross between SCI-FI and comic-book fantasy movies. Sounds similar to Ghost Rider also.

In any case, I may watch this based on these reviews, but I probably won't be able to for awhile due to my backlog of movies.
post #29 of 40 Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I thought most of the FX was pretty cheap and fake looking. .
Is that not the idea on a grindhouse type film .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #30 of 40 Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I liked it .. the 2-D BD certainly shows the attempt at over the top 3-D flying objects, etc .. and the intro of Hell could have had a bit more explaination to it, but otherwise, it's a great homage to the grindhouse genre ..

Uncle Willie

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Drive Angry Blu Ray 3d

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page