Feature running time: 109 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Richard Roxburgh, Rhys Wakefield, Alice Parkinson, Dan Wyllie, Ioan Gruffudd
Directed by: Alister Grierson
Music by: David Hirchsfelder
Written by: John Garvin & Andrew Wight
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 7, 2011

"The only way out is down"

Film Synopsis:

Master diver Frank McGuire leads a team including his 17-year-old son to explore the largest, most beautiful and least accessible cave system on Earth. But, when a tropical storm cuts off their only escape route, the team must work together to find their way through an uncharted and dangerous underwater labyrinth to make it out alive.

My Take:

Follow father and son underwater cave divers Frank and Josh, and their team as they embark on an epic expedition into the heart of one of the world's largest, most remote and treacherous caverns. When a sudden storm seals off their only known exit, the team is forced to delve deeper and deeper in search of their escape; can they survive, or will they be trapped forever? With the threat of death and danger at every turn, this journey will test their strength and psyche against the perils of raging water and creeping panic.

This film was inspired by the real life experiences of producer/co-writer Andrew Wight during the filming of a documentary that ultimately resulted in the film Nullarbar dreaming. This psychological thriller features a dramatic man against nature style narrative that contains a smaller subplot about a dysfunctional relationship between a father and son. There are few surprises in terms of what occurs after the team becomes trapped. The characters are cardboard cutouts of those that we typically see in paint by the numbers disaster/survival films. Identifying who will die and who will ultimately survive isn't difficult to predict nor is the melodrama that accompanies Frank and Josh's relationship as they encounter the dire circumstances of their adventure. I never really bonded with the characters and the uninspired nature of the story didn't prove overly engaging. This left Sanctum lacking suspense and feeling rather humdrum. On a positive note it is a beautifully shot film that features gorgeous underwater photography that was captured in breathtaking locations. That probably makes this film worth checking out in spite of its obvious shortcomings. When all was said and done I didn't feel as though Sanctum was a time waster. The captivating scenery made it interesting to watch and the story, conventional or not, held my attention.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, violence and some disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Sanctum comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

This is a solid high definition presentation that offers great looking video especially on a large screen. The color palette features a variety of delineated earth tones in addition to primary use of black, gray, white, and blues that give the majority of the film a cooler visual emphasis. This is a high bitrate encoding that delivers rock solid resolution. Close ups revealed high level detail that allows the pores, stubble, peach fuzzy hair and subtle variations in the complexions of the cast to be perceivable. The texture on the surfaces of objects is just as defining which gives them visibly apparent structure and imparts a tangible quality. Black levels and contrast are nicely balanced with good depth and discernible detail within dark backgrounds and shadows. The video has a pristine quality that appears devoid of video related anomalies and distracting artifacts.

The lossless surround mix features good front channel separation and opulent clarity. Soundstage depth and imaging across the left, right and center channels is excellent. This gives the multitude of directional sounds and dialogue appreciable room penetration, high level perception of detail, and appropriate near field placement. It also elevates the sonic refinement of the film's music. The surround channels are used primarily to augment the front soundstage via directional panning sequences, low level ambience and the occasional interjection of discretely placed effects. Low frequency effects when present have solid weight and palpable extension however their use isn't frequently applied. I can't say that I found this audio presentation noticeably lacking but it didn't leave an impression on me either.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Deleted scenes - 9 minutes

• (HD) Sanctum: The real story (3 segments)

1. How it began - 15 minutes
    2. Making the movie - 22 minutes
    3. In the aftermath - 8 minutes

• Nullarbar dreaming - 44 minute documentary

• Feature commentary with director Alister Grierson, Rhys Wakefield, and co-producer/writer Andrew Wight

• My scenes bookmark feature

• D-Box motion code enabled

• pocket BLU app

• BD-Live enabled

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Inspired by true events Sanctum is a humdrum psychological thriller that offers little suspense and few surprises but manages to engage via beautifully captured imagery of some of mother natures most remote locations. Originally shot in 3D this high definition presentation from Universal Studios Home Entertainment looked great on my 100 inch screen. It features crystal clear lossless surround sound and an above average compliment of bonus supplements that look behind the scenes at production and includes the complete Nullarbar dreaming documentary. I wouldn't recommend a blind buy. A rental should more than suffice for interested viewers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sure I'll end up getting the 3d version even tho it may be a "time waster" with a predictable plot. This movie for me looks to be a entertaining movie that has to have great immersion with its 3d.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Ralph,

When do you expect to receive your 3D version of this movie? Trying to decide if it's worth getting this in 3D or not.

The movie itself made me claustrophobic. lol Thought it was an incredible story and the scenery was amazing to say the least. Very sad though. Overall decent movie.

Cheers
Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Ralph,

When do you expect to receive your 3D version of this movie? Trying to decide if it's worth getting this in 3D or not.

The movie itself made me claustrophobic. lol Thought it was an incredible story and the scenery was amazing to say the least. Very sad though. Overall decent movie.

Cheers

+1 really would like a 3d review
Old 06-02-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Ralph,

Cheers

Greetings,

Universal didn't send the 3D version. I advised them but haven't heard back so we will see.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Woah!

It's executive producer is JAMES CAMERON, director of AVATAR in case you didn't notice.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I bet this would be a pretty cool movie to see in 3D. I wonder if it would be worth it.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Woah!

It's executive producer is JAMES CAMERON, director of AVATAR in case you didn't notice.

You beat me to it. If ever there was a case for me to not see a movie... That may as well have been a bio-hazard warning. Who would have thunk little Jimmy Cameron would try to make a blatant money grab?

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Universal didn't send the 3D version. I advised them but haven't heard back so we will see.

Regards,

Thanks Ralph. Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I bet this would be a pretty cool movie to see in 3D. I wonder if it would be worth it.

I saw it in IMAX 3D when it came out and thought it was amazing. Although i don't think the entire movie wasn't in 3D because there were certain scenes there were in 3D and some not.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I was disappointed in this film, the acting was painstakingly horrible.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Old 06-06-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Any feedback on the other users opinion on the LFE content of this film??
Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Any feedback on the other users opinion on the LFE content of this film??

I saw it last night and there really wasn't much LFE at all. Definitely not a bass feast.

Not that bad a flick I guess. I liked the ending somewhat.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The 3D is depth only and nothing of the in your face stuff. If you liked the way 3D was used in Avatar then you should like the way it is used in Sanctum. I thought the 3D was really good, but then I'm using a 3D DLP projector so there's no ghosting at all -- no gimmicks, just depth.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I didn't think it was that bad, although I went in with low expectations. I came out with not as bad as I thought. Pop the corn put your brain on simmer and you'll get through it ok!.

Tags
Sanctum Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player