post #1 of 34 Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 685

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Overview:

After avenging his family’s brutal murder, Wales is on the lam, pursued by a pack of killers. He travels alone, but a ragtag group of outcasts (including Sondra Locke and Chief Dan George) is drawn to him – and Wales can’t leave his motley surrogate family unprotected. Eastwood’s skills behind and in front of the camera connected with audiences for its humor and tenderness as well as its hair-trigger action.

attachment.php?attachmentid=213785&d=1307102890

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

My Thoughts:

As The Outlaw Josey Wales, four-time Academy Award-winner Clint Eastwood is ideally cast as a hard-hitting, fast-drawing loner, recalling his “Man with No Name” from his European Westerns. But unlike that other mythic outlaw, Josey Wales has a name – and a heart. I am a big Clint Eastwood fan. My first experience with him was in the Spaghetti Westerns which I first caught in reruns on TV. The quintessential cowboy he redefined the genre by introducing audiences to a new kind of hero, one that wasn’t adverse to bending and breaking the rules if necessary. He was as cool as he was ruthless but never acted without provocation. I was a young teenager the first time I saw Josey Wales. I remember not being very taken with it at the time. I think I was expecting something closer to the Sergio Leone films and this wasn’t it. The character felt too dark and I didn’t fully appreciate the scope of the narrative. It wasn’t until I was a little older that I came to see what a truly good film it is. I love the action, the subtle humor and the superbly drawn characters. Eastwood is at his best both in front of and behind the camera.

No time is wasted during the film’s 136 minute runtime which seems to fly by. There are so many classic lines and memorable moments. Among my favorites: “Shoot ‘em now Abe shoot em now” “shut up Lige” (the entire scene is just too perfect), “Are you gonna pull those pistols are whistle Dixie?” followed by “How did you know who would shoot first?” (love the answer), “How does it work on stains?” Josey and Ten Bears, The showdown in the trading post, Grandma Sarah in the general store, The shootout at the ranch. That is just to name a few. The supporting cast, Chief Dan George, Sam Bottoms, Bill McKinney, Geraldine Keams, John Vernon, Paula Trueman, and Will Sampson are excellent. You would be hard pressed to find a genre fan that didn’t rank The Outlaw Josey Wales near to top of their favorites list. It is a classic western that belongs on the shelf of every serious film enthusiast. I have owned it on home video for years and am thrilled to now own it on Blu-ray.

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

The Outlaw Josey Wales comes to Blu-ray via 1080p AVC encoded video that is framed in its original 2.40:1 aspect. It features image quality that is clearly a step above any previous home video release and offers an appreciable level of refinement and defining resolution that results in a pleasing high definition experience. Close ups generally offer plenty of textural nuance which makes it easy to discern the subtle complexional structure in the faces of the actors as well as visible delineation in the clothing and objects within the frame. The rewarding cinematography with its beautiful vista views of the open expanses as supported by the natural light of day offer varying levels of delineation and depth that predominantly look great. Clarity and sharpness during low level sequences shot at night or in uneven light can be inconsistent and range from fair to below average. Colors appear natural with a limited range that is primarily consists of earth tones combined with various shades of blue and red that are rendered beautifully in high definition. Flesh tones are warm with supple texture and lifelike quality. Contrast is spot on and consistent throughout the presentation. Black levels are slightly elevated but stable which results in good not great looking scenes that contain mixed light/dark content. The sequences filmed at night don’t offer deep defining blacks or unlimited dimensional perspective however they exhibit ample dynamic range and fair image penetration. Grain is intact and never rises to an objectionable level during scenes containing ample light. This is the best that I have ever seen this film look on home video. Video = 86

The soundtrack recording showed its age a bit but the DTS-HD Master Audio multi-channel mix maximized its potential. The front three channels carried the bulk of the sound and spread it evenly between them. Imaging was quite good as dialogue, panning effects and directional spacing was right on target within the soundstage. The surround channels were used sparingly for splashes of ambience that served to broaden the soundfield but rarely generated an enveloping atmosphere. Some of the effects such as gunfire sound a bit dated but I wouldn’t describe it as sounding unsubstantial. Clarity and fine detail were notable which gives lesser sounds within the mix good audibility and articulated refinement. I would say that this high resolution audio presentation improves upon the original lossy Dolby Digital version found on the DVD and sounds quite good. 78

Bonus Features:

• New bonus content features Clint Eastwood’s West, an extensive new documentary filled with reflections about Josey Wales’ characters, favorite scenes, discussion of the western genre and Eastwood’s legacy. Eastwood and other notables who worked with or influenced the actor/director are included: Morgan Freeman, James Mangold, Kevin Costner, Frank Darabont, John Lee Hancock, Joel Cox and more. Also new is film commentary from Richard Schickel – the film critic, documentary filmmaker and movie historian who last year produced The Eastwood Factor, the feature length documentary about Eastwood’s life and career.

• Blu-ray Digibook/keepcase containing photos, trivia, production details and a bio/filmography on Clint Eastwood.

• Introduction by Clint Eastwood

• Behind the story:

1. (HD) Clint Eastwood’s west (New) - 29 minute documentary
    2. Hell hath no fury: The making of The outlaw Josey Wales (1999) - 30 minute documentary
    3. Eastwood in action (1976) – 8 minute featurette

• (New) Commentary by Richard Schickel

• Theatrical trailer

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 7, 2011

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 06-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One of my all time favorite Westerns along with Tombstone,Open range, and Once upon a time in the west. Clint by far is my all time favorite Actor/director.Nice review.
post #3 of 34 Old 06-03-2011, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I thought this had an excellent surround presentation and there was some decent LFE. I was not expecting any sort of 5.1 on this disc but it was very well done.

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #4 of 34 Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 169
my favorite quote "not a hard man to track,leaves dead men
wherever he goes" (something like that)

Great movie!
post #5 of 34 Old 06-03-2011, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the review, Ralph! Not my favorite Eastwood western, but certainly one of my favorite Eastwood characters. It's nice to know it holds up okay on blu-ray.
post #6 of 34 Old 06-03-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

my favorite quote "not a hard man to track,leaves dead men
wherever he goes" (something like that)

Great movie!

Greetings,

You nailed it!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 34 Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Great review Ralph. Haha, I pre-date you, because I used to watch the Spaghetti western flicks in my local theater. Go in for the matinee and stay until the doors closed. I particularly remember some of the Puhsketti westerns (They call me Trinity) with Terrence Hill (aka, Mario Girotti) and Bud Spence. Loved em'!

This movie though, along with the original True Grit (haven't seen the latest one yet) rank as two my favorite westerns. Of more recent vintage, I loved Tombstone because Kilmer just nailed the Doc Holliday archetype. And the supporting cast was simply top notch.

Anyway, veering off track, but again, great review and I share your deep appreciation for this film.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #8 of 34 Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of my favorite Eastwood films. Glad to see there's a noticeable difference on blu...Whooped 'em again, Josey!
post #9 of 34 Old 06-04-2011, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post

One of my favorite Eastwood films. Glad to see there's a noticeable difference on blu...Whooped 'em again, Josey!

Greetings,

"People I like usually aren't around too long", "I noticed that when you get to disliking 'em they ain't around too long either".

Great stuff..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 34 Old 06-04-2011, 08:07 AM

buzzards got to eat, too.

whenever i hear that, for some odd reason, I always think of lawyers.....

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #11 of 34 Old 06-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 28
A great film. Simple story, perfectly casted, memorable lines, great mixture of action and humor, and Clint Eastwood!

The Fletcher character is great, could not have been casted any better. He had the right look and a great voice. One of my all time favorite supporting characters.

Ralph, you know good movies when you see them. Thanks for the review.

JTR Noesis 228 (LCR)
Polk Audio LSiM 703 (Surrounds)
Seaton SubMersive HP Plus and Minus (Subs)
Denon 3312 (Receiver)
Sherbourn PA 7-350 (Amp)
Oppo BDP-103 (BluRay Player)
Sharp 80" 3D
post #12 of 34 Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Love Eastwood westerns. Hell, I love ALL westerns. Anyway, Josey Wales is one of those films I have owned in different media starting at vhs tape so I will be happy to replace the current dvd with a blu variety.
post #13 of 34 Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My favorite western of all time. I'm ALL over this.
post #14 of 34 Old 06-06-2011, 08:32 PM

This is also one of my favourite westerns of all time, and since we're quoting lines from the movie, my favourite is when the bounty hunter finds him in the saloon:
BH: I'm looking for Josie Wales
JW: You a bounty hunter?
BH: A man's gotta do something to earn a livin' these days.
JW: Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy.

I had this movie on VHS , then on DVD. I guess we may as well complete the triple play when the Blu-Ray comes out.
Dale.
post #15 of 34 Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know anyone who likes Westerns that doesn't have this high on their favorites list. "Well, They might as well come with us.....everybody else is." Love all the famous lines, as well as the use of the Colt Walker, which was the weapon of choice of the original Texas Rangers.
post #16 of 34 Old 06-08-2011, 04:11 PM

Thanks Ralph.
post #17 of 34 Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Watched a Netflix copy today. PQ is quite good but not reference. Still it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they extracted as much from the film elements as was possible, I see no evidence of processing, DNR or the like. Color and contrast is excellent.

The audio was the big surprise here, some scenes have a very convincing surround stage and it's much better than I expected for dynamics and clarity. Again most likely they have extracted as much as is possible.

Fans of this movie should buy it, it's a keeper.
post #18 of 34 Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrushhead View Post
One of my all time favorite Westerns along with Tombstone,Open range, and Once upon a time in the west. Clint by far is my all time favorite Actor/director.Nice review.
Great list!
Add Unforgiven and I agree 100%.
post #19 of 34 Old 06-09-2011, 07:41 PM

Add Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

JTR Noesis 228 (LCR)
Denon 3312 (Receiver)
Sherbourn PA 7-350 (Amp)
Sharp 80" 3D
post #20 of 34 Old 06-12-2011, 03:16 PM

I watched Josey last night and could not have been more impressed. The picture and sound quality is off the charts. I doubt it looked this good at the theater originally. If you are on the fence about this one...get off and go buy it!

JTR Noesis 228 (LCR)
Denon 3312 (Receiver)
Sherbourn PA 7-350 (Amp)
Sharp 80" 3D
post #21 of 34 Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Spot on, Ralph.
Add the good, bad and ugly (blue ray) and you have a great western night of viewing.

Ralph I have read you review of True Grit and am tempted to get it also, because of its modern picture and especially its state of the art sound track.

Its just to bad that with the old classic Wayne and Eastwood movies that they can't somehow use the new state of the art audio soundtracks that are now being used for the latest movies releases.

imo you nailed it, these old movies manly use the front 3 speakers, where the new movies also use the L/R side and sub to give good audio systems a real surround sound drawing the viewer into the action.
post #22 of 34 Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
See, this is why Ralph is the MAN when it comes to reviews...he knows when to drop the five bomb on the film rating...this film is truly deserving of it!

The last spaghetti western I saw of Clint's was 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" a few years ago...I haven't seen this one in a long time, and this sounds like a great time to fire it up on the projector in bluray

Clint is one of my favorite actors/directors of all time and I'm more excited to revisit this film than I am just about anything else I can think of...thanks for putting it on my short list, Ralph...I needed a reminder to get around to seeing this one again!
post #23 of 34 Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

See, this is why Ralph is the MAN when it comes to reviews...he knows when to drop the five bomb on the film rating...this film is truly deserving of it!

The last spaghetti western I saw of Clint's was 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" a few years ago...I haven't seen this one in a long time, and this sounds like a great time to fire it up on the projector in bluray

Clint is one of my favorite actors/directors of all time and I'm more excited to revisit this film than I am just about anything else I can think of...thanks for putting it on my short list, Ralph...I needed a reminder to get around to seeing this one again!

Greetings,

Sure thing Summa. My pleasure..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #24 of 34 Old 06-21-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale124 View Post

This is also one of my favourite westerns of all time, and since we're quoting lines from the movie, my favourite is when the bounty hunter finds him in the saloon:
BH: I'm looking for Josie Wales
JW: You a bounty hunter?
BH: A man's gotta do something to earn a livin' these days.
JW: Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy.

I had this movie on VHS , then on DVD. I guess we may as well complete the triple play when the Blu-Ray comes out.
Dale.

Well, I bought it last weekend and watched it Sunday. I am totally impressed with the picture quality. It's amazing how a 35 year old film can look so good. I have some other older films on Blu Ray, but this one kills them on the P.Q.
Dale
post #25 of 34 Old 07-02-2011, 04:43 PM

Liked: 16
"I guess you were right about one thing. I ain't that old."

Forgot how much I enjoyed Chief Dan George. Just got this and have truly enjoyed this excellent presentation of one of my favorite films. Thanks for a great review, glad I picked this up.

Doug
post #26 of 34 Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Watched a Netflix copy today. PQ is quite good but not reference. Still it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they extracted as much from the film elements as was possible, I see no evidence of processing, DNR or the like. Color and contrast is excellent.

The audio was the big surprise here, some scenes have a very convincing surround stage and it's much better than I expected for dynamics and clarity. Again most likely they have extracted as much as is possible.

Fans of this movie should buy it, it's a keeper.

PQ is quite good but not reference? Are you serious? This is a fantastic TRANSFER off the camera negative. It has never looked this good, not even in theaters. And if a transfer does what it does off of the elements how can it BE more reference. This transfer should be the poster child for westerns, color-wise - it puts The Wild Bunch to shame with its washed out faded color.
This deserves nothing but kudos, yet every single "review" I've read on these forums has had to find something to carp with, almost as if they're afraid to just say the damn thing is fantastic and leave it at that.
post #27 of 34 Old 07-06-2011, 12:37 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

PQ is quite good but not reference?

Since when does Netflix picture quality equal Blu-ray quality?

Great movie but anything with Sondra Locke should be downgraded. What did Clint ever see in her?

Another favorite line is the delusional "Ma, ma is that you?" then pow!
post #28 of 34 Old 07-22-2011, 05:49 AM

Excellent transfer, for sure. Beats others that have received higher ratings, I think. However, once again, they boost the red color saturation to give it pop, so folks will not be whining about "washed-out"; but, that is an easy fix by turning it down a notch or two.

"It don't get much better than this"

Walmart now has the case only version for $15.00

BTW, unlike many westerns, including Westerns depicting times before the civil war, the pistols and such, are authentic, black powder front loaders.

There have been far too many westerns, where the guns were the old colt 45 pistols that used copper shells, when those guns were not around until years after the civil war.

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #29 of 34 Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is Josey Wales the Preacher in Pale Rider?

post #30 of 34 Old 07-22-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

Is Josey Wales the Preacher in Pale Rider?

What do you mean? You are talking of two different films. Or are you inferring that the main characters in each film are very similar? I found them markedly different.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Outlaw Josey Wales Blu Ray , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - Outlaw by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page