Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
attachment.php?attachmentid=212775&d=1306197311
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Universal - 1973
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 113 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD MA 2.0, English, French DTS 2.0, English DTS Express 2.0, English Dolby Digital 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Harrison Ford, Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard, Suzanne Somers, Cindy Williams, Wolfman Jack and Mackenzie Phillips
Directed by: George Lucas
Music by: Kim Fowley
Written by: George Lucas, Gloria Katz & Willard Huyck
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 31, 2011

"Where were you in '62?"

Film Synopsis:

Showcasing then-Hollywood-newcomers Harrison Ford, Richard Dreyfuss and Ron Howard, director George Lucas weaves together the stories of a disparate group of teenagers as they struggle with adolescent rites of passage in 1962. On the night before two of them leave for college, four high school buddies cruise their small hometown finding love and mischief in this Oscar-nominated coming-of-age classic.

My Take:

'American Graffiti' is one of those films that has eluded me, and by title and preconceived notion, what I saw was not what I expected. I expected a deeper portrayal of kids about to go off to college, with a more defined structure and plot. What I got out of my viewing was a film with no real plot per se, other than it being a coming of age story of four teens set on the night before leaving for college. What 'American Graffiti' did was a first, and seemed so unique back in 1973. For me, this type of film has been done many times (Dazed and Confused, Fast Times At Ridgemont High), and to see the originator of this formula was bit of a let down. Set to a great soundtrack of 50s and 60s tunes, and the back drop of the car culture and memories of George Lucas' (you know, George Lucas) youth growing up in Modesto California, 'American Graffiti' is an enjoyable watch dispite its obvious shortcomings.

Richard Dreyfuss (Jaws) plays Curt Henderson, who is unsure about leaving to go to college, and is chasing after a mysterious blond who he swears mouthed "I love you" as she drove by. Ron Howard (Happy Days, Apollo 13) is Steve Bolander, who is conflicted on leaving his high school sweetheart behind. Paul Le Mat plays John Milner, the unbeatable drag racer who gets stuck driving around Carol (Mackenzie Phillips), a 12 year old girl who keeps him in-line as he is being hunted down by Bob Falfa (Harrison Ford). Falfa wants to challenge him to a race, like a cowboy looking to become the fastest gun in the west. Finally we have Charles Martin Smith as Terry "The Toad" Fields, the geeky one of the group who finally gets his chance to be cool. He get the car (instead of his Vespa) and the girl, and has the best scene in the movie as he tries to score some liquor by asking adults to buy for him as they enter the package store. Each of these characters gets their own story arch, and are all interesting enough, but I just never felt too deeply for any of them, though I did have fun going along for the ride. I guess it might have meant a lot more in the early 70s, especially considering its loss of youth theme. Between the time it was set (1962) and the films release, Kennedy was assassinated, Vietnam was happening, and the world lost a lot of the left over innocence of the 50s.

'American Graffiti' was nominated for multiple Academy Awards including best film and director, it is also one of the American Film Institutes's top 100 Films Of All Time and won Best Motion Picture at the Golden Globes. Directed by George Lucas and produced by Francis Ford Coppola, this was their answer to a need for a commercial hit (Coppola took the job of the Godfather) for their American Zoetrope studio that they founded in 1969. 'American Graffiti' is one of the most successful independent films of all time and for people of that era and age group, it must have been much a different trip and feeling than that of a child of the 80s seeing it in 2011. I can see how it must still be a sentimental, heartwarming and nostalgic journey for so many. For me it was kinda cute and fun, but left no lasting impression.

Parental Guide:

Rated PG for mature thematic issues, sexual content, drug material and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 76

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Video: 72

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=121037369
'American Graffiti' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22.2 mbps and DTS-HD MA 2.0 Sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 mbps.

Universal delivers a decent new Blu-ray release with 'American Graffiti'. The video portion has been rumored to have some DNR or EE (edge enhancements) going on. I did not see those issues jumping out too bad, and I was looking. Things do look look a bit soft and the fine details are just not as apparent as a newer film. Granted, this is a 38 year old source, and was filmed guerrilla style with 35mm film stock and sub-par lighting conditions. Blacks meander from strong to a dark shade of Grey, and do lose some definition at times. The 35mm film grain sure does peek out as a heavy overcast above blacks, almost looking like video noise. Thankfully colors seem true to form, as do skin-tones. From what I see, this is not a mind-blowing High Definition release, but I saw no signs of clicks, pops and scratches, leading me to believe it might have been milked the best this film can be. The DTS-HD MA 2.Surround Sound, while authentic to the source, will not appease the 7.2 LFE junkies of the readership. For a stereo mix, it does fair quite well, and have decent dynamics and low end. Dialouge was never an issue, and the music of the era came across nice and clear, knowing its place in the mix when dialogue showed up on top of it. Obviously the rear channels had no activity and same with the LFE.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) U-Control: Video Commentary with Director George Lucas

• (HD) U-Control: The Music of American Graffiti

• (HD) The Making of American Graffiti

• (HD) Screen Tests

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• BD Live enabled

• pocket BLU Ap

Final Thoughts:

Even thought I was let down by my lofty expectations of 'American Graffiti', I did enjoy the film for its nostalgia, great soundtrack and cast. I didn't find the depth I had expected, considering its place in movie history, director and producer. George Lucas' commentary suggests a new transfer, and though this is not a mind-blowing High Definition release, I saw no signs of clicks, pops and scratches, leading me to believe it might have been milked the best this film can be. I did enjoy the special features and was surprised by the usually ultra-drab Lucas' commentary. Fans of this film should get some mileage out of this release, but I recommend a rental before purchase those yet to see 'American Graffiti' .

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-X3 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 200 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sunfire Cinema Ribbon Trio On-Wall (5.1)
Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ Solitaire 10"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 171
" For me, this type of film has been done many times (Dazed and Confused, Fast Times At Ridgemont High), and to see the originator of this formula was bit of a let down."

It always saddens me when people can't look past all the imitators to see the originator of a genre in the true light it had when it was first released.

As far as I'm concerned, films like Dazed and Confused, and Fast Times at Ridgemount High would never have existed if it wasn't for American Graffiti. I saw AG long before either film was released. I remember years later seeing Dazed and Confused and thinking, as good as the film was, that it was a total rip-off of American Graffiti.

American Graffiti encapsulates the late 50's early 60's era perfectly. It's approach was entirely unique, and the impact it made was massive.

Now, years later, after a myriad of imitators have stolen it's style and tried to update it's coming of age message for modern audiences, some people today watching it for the first time are disappointed. That to me is tragic.

American Graffiti was a vivid, realistic love letter to a generation. Perhaps today's generation see it as an anachronism, and can relate more easily to a film like Dazed and Confused. Too bad for them.
post #3 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

" For me, this type of film has been done many times (Dazed and Confused, Fast Times At Ridgemont High), and to see the originator of this formula was bit of a let down."

It always saddens me when people can't look past all the imitators to see the originator of a genre in the true light it had when it was first released.

As far as I'm concerned, films like Dazed and Confused, and Fast Times at Ridgemount High would never have existed if it wasn't for American Graffiti. I saw AG long before either film was released. I remember years later seeing Dazed and Confused and thinking, as good as the film was, that it was a total rip-off of American Graffiti.

American Graffiti encapsulates the late 50's early 60's era perfectly. It's approach was entirely unique, and the impact it made was massive.

Now, years later, after a myriad of imitators have stolen it's style and tried to update it's coming of age message for modern audiences, some people today watching it for the first time are disappointed. That to me is tragic.

American Graffiti was a vivid, realistic love letter to a generation. Perhaps today's generation see it as an anachronism, and can relate more easily to a film like Dazed and Confused. Too bad for them.

Greetings,

+1

I couldn't have said it better.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I really didn't need a review of the film. I was surprised there was even one American adult that had never seen AG. The review really didn't answer one essential question for me. Is it worth replacing my anamorphic DVD copy? From what little I read, I would say 'no'. The film is intentionally soft and grainy so I doubt a high res transfer will improve much on that. Since the soundtrack is still 2.1, I am wondering if it improves much on the pretty good sound of the special edition DVD either.

My gut says don't bother on this one if you own the good DVD.
post #5 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

I never said the other films (dazed and confused etc.) were better...But by how you are speaking, and all of the accolades the film got, I expected much more. and some kids in newer generations well have (tragically to you) have seen the imitators first. Time moves on and some period pieces wont hit viewers not of that period. Its not tragic, its just another part of a real life coming of age story. And the film means more to you because it was of your time period.

As far as its coming of age story, I felt no connection and didn't care if Curt went to college...I just cared about him finding the blonde, or is Steve dumped his girl...I just had no emotional connection. However, I did enjoy it--if I connected more then It would have been different to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

I really didn't need a review of the film. I was surprised there was even one American adult that had never seen AG. The review really didn't answer one essential question for me. Is it worth replacing my anamorphic DVD copy? From what little I read, I would say 'no'. The film is intentionally soft and grainy so I doubt a high res transfer will improve much on that. Since the soundtrack is still 2.1, I am wondering if it improves much on the pretty good sound of the special edition DVD either.

I would say no, but other reviews state its a discernible improvement but not a huge leap forward.

If I knew YOU didn't need another review I surely wouldn't have wasted my time. and I didn't know it was required viewing to all American adults...But I would not agree to its importance in that regard.

I knew some of my statements would polarize...
post #6 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Sometimes, there movies where the gods agree and it comes out perfect. It can't be improved upon. WIZARD OF OZ is one, and this is as well. I do understand Lee's disappointment at a lack of "depth" (though I disagree). But it's not that kind of movie, with beats and a plot that goes from A to B to C. What it is, is a slice-of-life, a snapshot if you will, of a time and place...one that I enjoy revisiting (even though I was too young) from time to time.

Regarding the commentary from what Lee mentioned of Lucxas' remarks about the remaster, it sounds like it is still the commentary track from the Special Edition laserdisc (which film was remastered for). I know, I know...something else the children of the 80s wouldn't know about! :-) (Even though the format was around back then.)

post #7 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Sometimes, there movies where the gods agree and it comes out perfect. It can't be improved upon. WIZARD OF OZ is one, and this is as well. I do understand Lee's disappointment at a lack of "depth" (though I disagree). But it's not that kind of movie, with beats and a plot that goes from A to B to C. What it is, is a slice-of-life, a snapshot if you will, of a time and place...one that I enjoy revisiting (even though I was too young) from time to time.

Regarding the commentary from what Lee mentioned of Lucxas' remarks about the remaster, it sounds like it is still the commentary track from the Special Edition laserdisc (which film was remastered for). I know, I know...something else the children of the 80s wouldn't know about! :-) (Even though the format was around back then.)

Was that before Beta?
post #8 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Was that before Beta?

lol! And don't forget to catch the sequel MORE AMERICAN GRAFFITI. Now THAT is another story!

post #9 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I didn't get this film either, I appreciate the authenticity, and look of it, I just didn't get. Daze and Confuse same thing! Fast Times was awesome, The Wonders a whole lot more, even though a bit different.

DJoel
post #10 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Please remember the reviews are for everyone...meaning we have an all ages site of almost 1,000,000 ppl....meaning the reviews have to appeal to a broad spectrum of needs and wants. Besides the fact, they are free.

The reviewers take time out of their personal lives to provide AVS membership with a volunteer service. Sometimes Mom's adage that "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" is applicable. No one expects everyone to agree with the reviewers, but they should receive our appreciation and respect.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #11 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
American Graffiti was shot in Techniscope, which is a modified version of 35mm, not 16mm. Basically, it's a non anamorphic widescreen format where the frame is spread over 2 sprockets instead of 4, using less negative, which also gives it lower resolution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techniscope. Also, it was not an independent film. It was financed by Universal Studios. For a long time it was the most profitable film ever made, 775 thousand to produce, grossed 118 million.
post #12 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

American Graffiti was shot in Techniscope, which is a modified version of 35mm, not 16mm. Basically, it's a non anamorphic widescreen format where the frame is spread over 2 sprockets instead of 4, using less negative, which also gives it lower resolution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techniscope. Also, it was not an independent film. It was financed by Universal Studios. For a long time it was the most profitable film ever made, 775 thousand to produce, grossed 118 million.

You sir are correct, and I meant to say 35mm.

It was a semi-independent films then. Universal picked up the tab but gave the filmmakers freedom. It was picked it up as one of a series of semi-independent films the studio allowed young filmmakers to try.
post #13 of 66 Old 06-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Liked: 10
well imo it is certainly well worth getting the blu-ray of this American classic.
the dvd pales in comparison imo, and I feel the blu-ray is a fairly strong representation of the film, although I'm not convinced some manner of digital tinkering wasn't employed to "enhance" the notoriously grainy image.
that said, the film is definitely overly dark in many places, and that will never change.
imo it will always be hard to discern what type of work was done for this release, and at some point it just becomes frustrating to even try anymore.
I remember the first time I saw this on dvd I was kind of stunned at how poor some of it looked for being such a major known film.
At that time I knew nothing of the history of the actual filming, and just assumed there was something wrong with my dvd. lol.
anyway, glad I got the bd.
post #14 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 01:06 AM

I'm interested in knowing more about the extras... particularly the video commentary. I don't think I will be that taken with the movie... not really my type of film. But I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, and I often find documentaries with GL interesting.

For example, THX 1138 is not a movie that I love. It's very plain and a bit boring. I can appreciate what they were trying to say and the themes they were playing with, but in the end it's just not that entertaining to me. But I did thoroughly enjoy the SE DVD and Blu-ray for the commentaries and documentaries, and a look into the mind of GL.
post #15 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 01:47 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9enhanced View Post

well imo it is certainly well worth getting the blu-ray of this American classic.
the dvd pales in comparison imo, and I feel the blu-ray is a fairly strong representation of the film, although I'm not convinced some manner of digital tinkering wasn't employed to "enhance" the notoriously grainy image.
that said, the film is definitely overly dark in many places, and that will never change.
imo it will always be hard to discern what type of work was done for this release, and at some point it just becomes frustrating to even try anymore.
I remember the first time I saw this on dvd I was kind of stunned at how poor some of it looked for being such a major known film.
At that time I knew nothing of the history of the actual filming, and just assumed there was something wrong with my dvd. lol.
anyway, glad I got the bd.

Good to know looking forward in receiving my copy soon.

Frank

post #16 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I apologize that my remarks added to the controversy. As usual, I worded it badly.

I was trying to say that for myself, the most important part of the review would be the technical details.
post #17 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

I can understand that someone not from that era and not having seen this film would not "get it". It is a simple film from a simple time and as I am from that time I did "get it".

What the film did for me was to show the awkwardness of life for a young person in transition at that time in history. The uncertainty of what is to come and the loss of immaturity was very well displayed and played by all. Upon seeing this film for the first time theatrically I can remember being uncomfortably emotional identifying with some characters and felt as though I was back there again at that time in my life.

For the record it was fairly correct in attitude and design and maybe the most correct period movie of that era to ever be filmed.
post #18 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

We should probably add The Hollywood Knights and The Wanderers to the list of imitators.
post #19 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:

I apologize that my remarks added to the controversy. As usual, I worded it badly.

I was trying to say that for myself, the most important part of the review would be the technical details.

Having not seen the DVD or prior releases I could not do a comparison. I did describe what I was seeing on this release the best I could and believe it to be quite accurate.
post #20 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 65
At first blush the review raised some hackles for me,but after reading the replies i understood where Lee was coming from(my kids dont get it either ). This is an all time classic for me and have seen it in excess of 100 times. I get nostalgic when i see this film and yearn for the seemingly simpler times.
post #21 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Three stars? THREE STINKIN STARS?? One of the greatest films of all time and that's all it gets?? This is a "snapshot" film. It's not going to have a typical story arc. It takes place over a single night and to bring the viewer along for the ride.

I'm disappointed in you, Lee...we're still buds and all, but c'mon man...I think you really missed the boat with this review
post #22 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Three stars? THREE STINKIN STARS?? One of the greatest films of all time and that's all it gets?? This is a "snapshot" film. It's not going to have a typical story arc. It takes place over a single night and to bring the viewer along for the ride.

I'm disappointed in you, Lee...we're still buds and all, but c'mon man...I think you really missed the boat with this review

To be fair, movies are subjective. Believe it or not, there are people who don't think THE GODFATHER or CITIZEN KANE are all that great. You and I (and probably Lee) might disagree...but that is how we look at films. Personally, I'm no fan of GONE WITH THE WIND ("Fiddle-Dee-Deee!" and I've never been able to get through SOUND OF MUSIC. For others, those are all-time classics.

post #23 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Sorry man, I didn't dig that evening too much. I know its considered a classic. But I'm not going to lie with my opinion just to appease the masses, and I didn't think you would want me to either, right?
post #24 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Sorry man, I didn't dig that evening too much. I know its considered a classic. But I'm not going to lie with my opinion just to appease the masses, and I didn't think you would want me to either, right?

Greetings,

Absolutely not..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #25 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I popped in the BR tonight and watched several scenes....brings me back to my youth. My parents took me to this movie when I was my son's age and I loved it then and still has a special place in my library.

Even though it was "before my time", the music, the acting and the storyline really are terrific. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it has a timelessness about it. My 13 yo watch the DVD with me a couple months ago and he enjoyed it too.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #26 of 66 Old 06-04-2011, 09:16 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

Spot on Lee.

Frank

post #27 of 66 Old 06-05-2011, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be fair, movies are subjective. Believe it or not, there are people who don't think THE GODFATHER or CITIZEN KANE are all that great. You and I (and probably Lee) might disagree...but that is how we look at films. Personally, I'm no fan of GONE WITH THE WIND ("Fiddle-Dee-Deee!" and I've never been able to get through SOUND OF MUSIC. For others, those are all-time classics.

Can't argue with that...I just have to give Lee a little crap, you know? I was sort of late to the party with regard to this film...I didn't see it for the first time until about five or six years ago, and I just fell in love with it. My brother and I were going through some of the AFI top 100 films of all time list and that was one of the ones we saw during that time.

But yeah, you're right, we don't all like the same stuff, and that's how it should be. Ralph just has me spoiled since his taste in film correlates with mine more than any other reviewer I've ever come across. Ralph and Harry Knowles are my two primary sources when it comes to movie reviews.
post #28 of 66 Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, a little lie here and there won't kill ya...

haha, j/k bro...just had to give you a hard time with this one a bit
post #29 of 66 Old 06-05-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

There's a trend among younger movie aficionados to bash movie classics of the 70's and before. Someone posting a best of film list including The Godfather, Citizen Kane and the like are bound to attract a rash of young "critics" who dismiss these films in favor of more contemporary classics that, in their minds, are far superior to these antiquated movies that were good in their day, but have long since been relegated to the "no longer relevant" category.

To these young "critics" I ask this...

What will you say in 40 years when your grand children tell you what pieces of crap the Pixar movies were?
post #30 of 66 Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

American Graffiti in 1973:

Golden Globe winner for Best Picture
Golden Globe nominee for Best Director
Academy Aware nominee for Best Picture (lost to The Sting)
Academy Aware nominee for Best Screenplay
Academy Aware nominee for Best Director
Academy Aware nominee for Best Supporting Actress
Academy Aware nominee for Best Film Editing
Directors Guild of America Award for Outstanding Directing
(source: Wikipedia.org)
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
American Graffiti Special Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - American by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page