Battle: Los Angeles (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 113 Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I loved this movie. I bought it as a blind buy and really enjoyed it. This was a military war film but with aliens instead of a more traditional enemy--but a war film none the less--and I enjoy war films. As a retired Air Force guy, I was glad to see they decided to add an Air Force TSgt to help out the Marines. The audio was excellent and really had my system running in top gear--especially my SVS Ultra. I think I can see how the doc-style camera angles could be a bit tiring on the big screen but I didn't see any noticeable jiggling on my 55 in screen--certainly not annoying. In the end, I was glad to have bought this for my collection.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

I loved this movie. I bought it as a blind buy and really enjoyed it. This was a military war film but with aliens instead of a more traditional enemy--but a war film none the less--and I enjoy war films. As a retired Air Force guy, I was glad to see they decided to add an Air Force TSgt to help out the Marines. The audio was excellent and really had my system running in top gear--especially my SVS Ultra. I think I can see how the doc-style camera angles could be a bit tiring on the big screen but I didn't see any noticeable jiggling on my 55 in screen--certainly not annoying. In the end, I was glad to have bought this for my collection.

I watched my copy last night (120" screen) and if you've got a sound system equal to the task this movie will provide a sonic blast. The shaky cam can be irritating at times but it generally settles down for key scenes and it fits the documentary style the filmmakers were after. I have read many individual reviews about this film on this site and others where it seems that people who have been (or are) in the military have a more favorable opinion of this movie versus the general public. Complaints by some that the dialog is cliche ridden don't realize that cliches are short-hand speak in the military and an easy and simple way to communicate.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #93 of 113 Old 06-27-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dododge View Post

The dialogue in the "retirement" scene at the start was so bad I could barely stand it, but at least it let me know to lower my expectations way, way down for the rest of it. By the end I was l mostly just groaning or laughing at its ham-fisted attempts to rouse an emotional response. I do like big dumb action movies but the quantity of dumb was really making it difficult.

When I watched this , the first thing I hated was the fact they drop us right into the invasion show us a taste of some action stuff and then.... bring it all back by 48 hours and force us to watch 30mins of morons spouting moronic dialogue at each other.

Just when the retirement scene was getting started I was thinking to mysel, they aren't going to have him retire on the eve of an alien invasion are they? I mean that one was old back in the 80s , they even poke fun at that plot device in the likes of naked gun and scary movie. Just dire!

Spoliers

The plot consists of , soldiers run around an apartment complex and shoot at some foggy aliens, they don't seem to be able to hit anything. soldiers find some civilians and shoot at some more foggy aliens , they don't seem to be able to hit anything , some of the soldiers die and we do not care, soldiers run around on a freeway shoot at some aliens and don't seem to be able to hit anything and some stuff explodes, the aliens have a big gun mounted on...a space shopping cart! Some of the soldiers die and we do not care. One of the civilians seems to be better at shooting the aliens than the soldiers.

They get back to base ...but its toast and we don't care.

They hitch a lift out of LA in a passing chopper but then all decide to get off again to attack the deathstar on foot , they shoot at some aliens , one of them dies exactly the same way as one of the soldiers in saving private ryan and we are not impressed. The soldiers don't seem to be very good shots. The main character should tie that laser designator onto himself as he seems to keep dropping it. Some bigger stuff explodes , they go to another base but decide not to have breakfast and head back into LA to shoot at the aliens again and blow some stuff up and probably collapse from hunger unless they can find a Hooters that's open.

digital film janitor
post #94 of 113 Old 06-28-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

That's exactly how I described it to my mom and sister when they came over, and I was demoing my new system for them. Started the movie from the start since it starts out balls to the wall action anyway, and they ended up watching the whole thing. They both got choked up at the same "touching" moments my wife did. After, my sister picked up the BD case, read the back, and pointed at where it said, "It's Independence Day meets District 9...but BETTER" and said she couldn't agree more.

I've seen this movie probably about a dozen times now, and I still love it!
post #95 of 113 Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 AM

Liked: 10
I have this next on my Netflix queue and can't wait! Just received Apocolypse Now Redux on BD from Netflix and saw the running time is 5 hours 55 mins!!! It might be a while before I get around to B:LA.
post #96 of 113 Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

When I watched this , the first thing I hated was the fact they drop us right into the invasion show us a taste of some action stuff and then.... bring it all back by 48 hours and force us to watch 30mins of morons spouting moronic dialogue at each other.

Just when the retirement scene was getting started I was thinking to mysel, they aren't going to have him retire on the eve of an alien invasion are they? I mean that one was old back in the 80s , they even poke fun at that plot device in the likes of naked gun and scary movie. Just dire!

Thanks for posting for the second time in this thread to tell us how much you hate this movie. Yeah, we get it.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #97 of 113 Old 06-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximaniac View Post

I have this next on my Netflix queue and can't wait! Just received Apocolypse Now Redux on BD from Netflix and saw the running time is 5 hours 55 mins!!! It might be a while before I get around to B:LA.

Worth the wait, IMO.
post #98 of 113 Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARKILLER--1138 View Post

Worth the wait, IMO.

It's def not that long of a movie check again.
post #99 of 113 Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_inc View Post

It's def not that long of a movie check again.

Just checked........still worth the wait.
post #100 of 113 Old 06-29-2011, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Thanks for posting for the second time in this thread to tell us how much you hate this movie. Yeah, we get it.

Well gee thanks for that . Glad you found it so useful. I can sleep happily in my bed knowing this to be so. I'm so full of joy now. I love you.

digital film janitor
post #101 of 113 Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Ralph, thank you for the fair-minded and sensible review. Despite the vigorous negativity of a few posters, I picked this up based on your candid comments, and it was well worth the effort. It certainly gave my Synthesis gear a work out! Even my GF was impressed.

We also enjoyed the basic storyline and characters. While not a candidate for top honors in writing or acting, it stereotyped the military baptism under fire experience pretty well, while being laced with some old, trite concepts.

I was going to pass until reading your review, so I took a chance and was pleased with the experience. I bet we'll watch it again! Thanks!

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #102 of 113 Old 07-01-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Well, I got tired of waiting for Netflix so I decided to stream it from Amazon. I've been wanting to see if the quality of the stream was worthy of my HT anyway, and it actually did a pretty good job. I ran the stereo audio through my SAS 10-A preamp and that brought the film to life.

As for the movie itself, I loved it. It certainly held my attention from start to finish, and I was only distracted by cheesy dialogue once or twice. I think both times it was Michelle Rodriguez, so that didnt' bother me...

I thought it was a fun night at the movies!
post #103 of 113 Old 07-02-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

War of the Worlds was one of the most intense HT experiences I've ever had...it ranks up there with Cloverfield, SAving Privte Ryan, and the Edward Norton version of the Hulk. Amazing sound effects in all of those, and I still remember the intensity to this day.

I agree that Saving Private Ryan is a masterpiece. It seems to me that mentioning War of the Worlds and Cloverfield in the same breath as Saving Private Ryan, though, is, not to put too fine a point on it, unwarranted.

I liked War of the Worlds better than Battle Los Angeles but only marginally so. Both films were action packed and had great sound, especially their LFE, but both were terminally dumb, I thought. It's been a while since I've seen Cloverfield but I seem to recall that it is very similar to the other two although a little better than either.
post #104 of 113 Old 07-02-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that Saving Private Ryan is a masterpiece. It seems to me that mentioning War of the Worlds and Cloverfield in the same breath as Saving Private Ryan, though, is, not to put too fine a point on it, unwarranted.

I liked War of the Worlds better than Battle Los Angeles but only marginally so. Both films were action packed and had great sound, especially their LFE, but both were terminally dumb, I thought. It's been a while since I've seen Cloverfield but I seem to recall that it is very similar to the other two although a little better than either.

Clearly Saving Private Ryan is a far better film than Cloverfield and War of the Worlds, but I was talking about only the intensity of the experience in my HT. Sometimes a film comes along where, irrespective of the quality, just knocks me on my butt in terms of the audio quality and each of those films did just that.
post #105 of 113 Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

Clearly Saving Private Ryan is a far better film than Cloverfield and War of the Worlds, but I was talking about only the intensity of the experience in my HT. Sometimes a film comes along where, irrespective of the quality, just knocks me on my butt in terms of the audio quality and each of those films did just that.

Exactly both of those films had great LFE.

Frank

post #106 of 113 Old 07-03-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:

Oh, yeah, I could not agree more! Both Battle Los Angeles' video and audio, especially its LFE, are peerless.
post #107 of 113 Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Only gripe I have is that this is definately a 5 star bass flick!

This movie had one of the most Unintentional laugh out loud moments I've ever had while watching a movie:

[spoiler]when the Marines drag the alien into the PD building and Echhard's character wants to find out how to kill it and the woman says," I can help, I'm a veterinarian!"['spoiler] call me crazy but that was too much!
post #108 of 113 Old 07-17-2011, 06:12 PM

I rented this a few days ago, and I thought it was enjoyable. Much better than expected based on the majority of reviews I had seen. I only wish they would have skipped all of the news expert's explanations, because they got all of the science wrong. The action, video, and sound were all great. I'll probably add this to my shelf when the price is right.
post #109 of 113 Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

I have it waiting for me when I get home from travel.
It's about time for my .3 LFE to get a good work out.

Saw it finally.
Action pack stuff, loved the Marines.
My .3 had its work cut out.
This movie ROCKs!

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune: SRI , CBE

post #110 of 113 Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Agree 100% on the bass aspect of this film. There's a couple scenes (notably the ship emerging...which may have replaced the pods emerging scene from WOTW as my go to clip) that were simply off the charts, and I was @ -17dbs !!!

Some truly magnificent bass here.

Movie really wasn't that bad either. Perhaps an "F" for originality and character development, and a "B-" for raw entertainment value.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #111 of 113 Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 143
No doubt it was a constant barrage from an audio standpoint. The problem is I felt like I was SCREAMED AT THE ENTIRE MOVIE. I'm sure there was some dialogue in the movie with a normal speaking voice, I just can't recall any of it...

And yes, I was at reference. Maybe that was the problem

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #112 of 113 Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Can't wait for the price to drop on this flick to below the $15 mark.
I never pay more than that for any BD release.

post #113 of 113 Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

A decent renter, with definitely some of the best LFE I've heard in a while. "Popcorn flick", as per the OP, is the perfect description.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page