Cirque Du Soleil: Journey Of Man 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 807
attachment.php?attachmentid=214610&d=1307877126
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109939&d=1210373637

Audio/3D Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Sony Classic Pictures - 2000
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 39 minutes
Genre: Musical/Acrobatic performance

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: MVC/AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.0 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Portuguese, Japanese, Chinese Mandarin, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Polish, Czech, Korean, Thai, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish
Directed by: Keith Melton
Music by: Benoit Jutras
Written by: Steve Roberts & Peter Wagg
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 7, 2011

"The journey begins…"

Film Synopsis:

Journey of Man is a celebration of the human spirit that combines the unique artistry and music ofCirque Du Soleil with the power of large format film.

My Take:

I saw my first Cirque Du Soleil live in Las Vegas a few years ago. It was truly impressive and unlike any other stage performance that I had seen previously. The best way to describe it would be that it combines incredible acrobatic feats with beautiful operatic style ballet and story telling. There are many Cirque Du Soleil shows and each has a different story/theme. Cirque du Soleil JOURNEY OF MAN is an odyssey that follows the stages of human development from birth to maturity, with each stage presented by a Cirque du Soleil act. The signature Cirque du Soleil celebration of color, light, music and costume combine with a backdrop of various natural and historical landmarks around the world, creating a triumph of artistry beyond compare. From the opening explosion of light and sound that represents the universe's formation, Cirque du Soleil Journey of Man leads us through the birth of the Universal Child as it travels from childhood, through adolescence and manhood, on to maturity. I thoroughly enjoyed the visual experience of Journey of man. The choreography and acrobatic performances are excellent. The story itself as narrated by Ian McKellan is simple enough but I found it to be a little bizarre and muddled.

Parental Guide:

This performance is appropriate for all ages.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

3D Quality: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373699

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Circue Du Soleil: Journey of man 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p MVC encoded 3D video and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

I generally prefer to view 3D that takes advantage of the depth and dimension that can bring images onscreen to life in a visually involving and natural way especially with the kind of entertainment Circue Du Soleil provides. This 3D presentation does just that and features marvelous onscreen dimensionality. Depth is noteworthy as evidenced by the discerning separation of objects and characters layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. Textures abound as the richness of the production’s elements comes to life. Resolution and detail during the various wide angle shots of the underwater synchronized swimming, rocky desert terrain and lush forest retain a high level of clarity that is enhanced by beautifully reproduced colors that enrich the experience. By design this isn’t intended to be a flamboyant display of the 3D technology however it makes for a rewarding experience that enhances the subject matter with its beautifully rendered images. An AVC encoded 1080p 2D presentation is included for interested viewers that haven‘t yet made the move to 3D.

The DTS-HD MA presentation clearly renders the soundtrack’s recorded elements and sounds quite good. The front soundstage is broad with appreciable atmospheric bleed through the rear channels. The sound mix is fairly active and creates an enveloping sound field that coincides nicely with the onscreen elements. The beautifully crafted music sounded airy and rich, with a smooth mid range and sibilant free highs. There wasn’t any notably deep bass contained within the recording but it wasn’t lacking in any way. The instrumentation had viable low end presence that ebbed and flowed accordingly.

Bonus Features:

Other than the 3D and 2D Blu-ray presentations there is no other content included.

attachment.php?attachmentid=214611&d=1307877137

Final Thoughts:

Cirque Du Soleil: Journey of man is an enjoyable visual experience that features great choreography and impressive acrobatic performances but suffers from a somewhat muddled story. If you have never seen any of the Cirque Du Soleil I highly recommend them. This 3D experience comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and features enriching high definition imagery and involving lossless surround sound that enhance the proceedings. This is worth checking out but I would rent first. The option of viewing in both 3D or 2D flavors makes it possible for those who haven’t made the move to 3D yet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
JVC PK-AG1 3D Glasses
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Looks like a must have 3D show off disc.

As a side note Ralph is it possible to segregate your 3D reviews? Maybe even have a sub forum.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
3D Quality: 84 ...

How is the 2D quality?
post #4 of 6 Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Looks like a must have 3D show off disc.

As a side note Ralph is it possible to segregate your 3D reviews? Maybe even have a sub forum.

Greetings,

If you look at the Blu-ray Disc Reviews Database stickied here in the review forum the 3D reviews are listed separately which makes them easy to find.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 6 Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubmar View Post

How is the 2D quality?

Greetings,

I ran through several of the 2D scenes and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I thought it presented well and looked fine overall.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 6 Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

If you look at the Blu-ray Disc Reviews Database stickied here in the review forum the 3D reviews are listed separately which makes them easy to find.

Regards,

As many times as I have used it.......I just scrolled down to the letter I was looking for and never noticed 3D at the top.

Thanks Ralph
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Cirque Du Soleil Journey Of Man Blu Ray 3d , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C7900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page