The Lord Of The Rings Motion Picture Trilogy: Extended Edition (Blu-ray) Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 233 Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just a quick note and I'm off the subject until I'm able to critique my own copy: the pre-order price for this set is continuing to drop. This may just be the retailers trying to maximize their revenue in light of all the negative internet chatter about the green tint issue, but it's interesting to note that shipments of this set to sections of Europe have been officially pushed back. This would seem to translate into knowledge of the situation and an attempt to minimize the damage done to the release date. It could also mean that once the set has hit the stores and initial sales have been counted, a disc exchange of FOTR may be offered. This is all speculation of course, but the bottom line is this:

The pricing on this set is at an all-time low and there's really no reason at all at this stage in the game not to make the purchase. The green tint may be there to stay (and levels of dissatisfaction have to do with various factors, some of which may not even apply to most viewers) so the discounted pricing really is too good to pass up.

Gonna be interesting next week when the hands-on reviews start piling up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 233 Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Just watched the FOTR EE and the sound is superb. I have watched the Theatrical version and don't remember the LFE being as tight and deep. This is a sonic tour de force.
John

WOW, good to hear!
post #93 of 233 Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Reda View Post

WOW, good to hear!

I'm still puzzled by this since there should be no reason for this to exist. I don't think they went back and tweaked the sound so I'm probably hallucinating. Never the less, it does sound fantastic
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #94 of 233 Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

I'm still puzzled by this since there should be no reason for this to exist. I don't think they went back and tweaked the sound so I'm probably hallucinating. Never the less, it does sound fantastic
John

Greetings,

John, remember that the extended edition DVD releases had DTS 6.1 ES Discrete soundtracks where the original releases didn't.

The Theatrical Release Blu-ray editions have 5.1 DTS-HD MA whereas these have the 6.1 DTS-HD MA.

I haven't had time to run direct comparisons but plan to (maybe this weekend). I will report back.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 233 Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Walmart Canada has set the price to $60 for the set.
post #96 of 233 Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 PM

Any idea what is 'limited' in the Canadian version?

Comparing amazon.com and amozon.ca doesn't really help, except the U.S. version has a Digital Copy.

I'm heading to the U.S. later in the year, so if it's a big difference, then I'll wait and buy the set donw there.

Thanks
post #97 of 233 Old 06-26-2011, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Remember that the extended edition DVD releases had DTS 6.1 ES Discrete soundtracks where the original releases didn't.

The Theatrical Release Blu-ray editions have 5.1 DTS-HD MA whereas these have the 6.1 DTS-HD MA.

I haven't had time to run direct comparisons but plan to (maybe this weekend). I will report back.

Regards,

Gents,

Remember, the three films were remixed and repurposed for home theater.

New Line had the theatrical and extended editions redone and of course without the X-curve at MiCasa Multimedia. The theatricals had the 5.1 EX encode because that's all that could be put on the original DVD for space reasons. When the EEs were made and with the additional space on two discs, the discrete 6.1 was made available. It appears the audio source for the DVDs was used for these BDs, but now as lossless encodes.

(Website)

Video Contributor

post #98 of 233 Old 06-26-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings,

John, remember that the extended edition DVD releases had DTS 6.1 ES Discrete soundtracks where the original releases didn't.

Regards,

Ralph,
I was referring to my comparison to the Theatrical BD DTSMA 5.1 release vs the new Extended BD release with 6.1 DTSMA. The DVD EE, had great sound but the BD is a very substantial improvement as most will find. Don't know if you still have the Theatrical version BD to compare the two.
thanks,
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #99 of 233 Old 06-26-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Have seen no other vendor in Canada step up to the plate, so far, to match Walmarts $60 price - even Walmart in the US is quoting still at $83.99, whereas everyone else has lowered the price to $69.99. Canadian prices seem to be holding at $64.99. Will be at Walmarts, 7AM June 28th! Never know, what the heck Limited Edition means - is there a limited amount produced? Limited amount given to each store? Limited means the value will go up in the future?
Zellers? No listing!

Walmart US now dropped their price to $69.96 - .03 cents lower than the competition. Try taking a copy of the Walmart Canada ad in and see if they'll price match!

Page #9:

http://www.walmart.ca/flyers?StoreID=1105&ZoneID=1

Doesn't show Limited Edition in the flyer photo - so what's the dif? I definitely don't need the digital disks. (It appears the Digital copies are to be downloaded.)
post #100 of 233 Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Have seen no other vendor in Canada step up to the plate, so far, to match Walmarts $60 price - even Walmart in the US is quoting still at $83.99, whereas everyone else has lowered the price to $69.99. Canadian prices seem to be holding at $64.99. Will be at Walmarts, 7AM June 28th! Never know, what the heck Limited Edition means - is there a limited amount produced? Limited amount given to each store? Limited means the value will go up in the future?
Zellers? No listing!

Mine doesn't say Limited Edition. I also have a form for getting the digital copy included in the packaging.
john

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #101 of 233 Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
So basically there is no 20 Hz cutoff like in the theatrical BRs??
post #102 of 233 Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 AM

GREEN!!!!! and MORE GREEN. As is, I would not give the movie anything above 75 for this issue. Sorry, Ralph

but the good news, you can adjust the green out and make a great improvement in the PQ.....so I might give it about 90 after the adjustments

This adjustment is now something I am used to doing regularly, to get rid of surnburned faces, because some techie has decided the movie needs more pop and the faces were too pale, as in Le Mans. Or oversaturated colors and too much red/purple as in Patton and on and and on.......better this than Out Of Africa, where there is no fixing it due to EE and DNR

( I now put a sticky tab that I can write down the adjustments for each blu- ray on the cover of the BD. What a shame....)

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #103 of 233 Old 06-27-2011, 04:34 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Hopefully should receive my copy tomorrow. Cant wait!!

Frank

post #104 of 233 Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

So basically there is no 20 Hz cutoff like in the theatrical BRs??

It didn't seem to be in the EE but then I didn't do any measurements. Maybe this is what I am experiencing.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #105 of 233 Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM

Official statement from WB:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Harris from HTF
This just in from Warner Home Video:

Warner Bros Home Entertainment Group confirms that The Lord of the Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy Extended Edition Blu-ray accurately represents the intended look of each of the three features.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring was remastered from the original digital production files in order to reproduce the full color imagery of the feature.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...0#post_3826517

George.
post #106 of 233 Old 06-27-2011, 05:18 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstrifots View Post

Finally!! thank you!

Frank

post #107 of 233 Old 06-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstrifots View Post

Bummer Oh well.......at least I can put this to rest and make the most out of the rest of the release. Time to turn my focus to audio which should be insane!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #108 of 233 Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'd like to know if these are brand new 6.1 mixes or if they are just the 6.1 EE DVD mixes brought to us, now in lossless?

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

post #109 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Watched mine last night and it looked great...and sounded better.....the 2nd breakfast scene and rivendale was a little off but no major tinting that is noticable while watching the movie.....nice grab for $67.....now i can finally put my EE DVD up in the collectors case for decoration.....

Johnny
post #110 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralXTC View Post

I'd like to know if these are brand new 6.1 mixes or if they are just the 6.1 EE DVD mixes brought to us, now in lossless?

Not sure but i picked up on addiitonal rear sounds in the mines of moria that i had not noticed before...excellent mix....

Johnny
post #111 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Only 10 posts and you are contradicting everything that has been stated NEtwide about the FOTR color issues??
post #112 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:

Only 10 posts and you are contradicting everything that has been stated NEtwide about the FOTR color issues??

Greetings,

I am not certain what his number of posts has to do with his opinion. Let's not start this. He simply posted his experience and is entitled to do so without having to be challenged.

Once you have seen it you are free to do the same.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #113 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:

the more people are watching for themselves the more people are saying its not that big a deal and is a tad overblown......so to each his own.....love the set never sounded better.....my pro calibrated plasma and oppo 93 delivered a sharp clean detailed picture with the exception of two scenes and awesome sound......

Johnny
post #114 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Greetings,

Regards,

That would be excellent.....as i stated i heard sounds that i did not hear in the TE's and that's alright.....

Johnny
post #115 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 PM

My set has 3 blank white boxes on the digital copy insert. I have already opened a support ticket on wbdigitalcopy. Can others please check their inserts and report in?
post #116 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 04:44 PM

My canadian copy has 12 digit codes in each of the white boxes.
post #117 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Ralph,

Did you notice any damage to the discs in your set? I got my first from Amazon yesterday, and nearly every disc was scratched/dinged and had a foggy residue from the case. I got a replacement today...same deal. I mixed and matched to find the least damaged discs. I e-mailed Amazon and told them that there was an obvious quality control problem at WB's disc/packaging manufacturer.
post #118 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM

PSA: This box set is selling for $59.99 at Canadian Walmarts until the 30th!
post #119 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM View Post

PSA: This box set is selling for $59.99 at Canadian Walmarts until the 30th!

Same situation with Blockbuster, although they have an Exclusive edition that comes with "The One Ring" which is essentially a replica of the ring necklace Frodo wears thoughout the films. I'm not sure if it's plastic or metal as I haven't opened mine yet.

Other than that, the releases are identical right down to packaging (BB version has another outer box which, inside, contains the "normal" box you see on all other versions.)

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

post #120 of 233 Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 PM

I picked mine up this morning and I have to say that I don't see what the fuss is about. I already own the standard bluray version and this set is superior in every way, especially the Fellowship remastering. The level of detail is amazing and I don't see any major color issues. Overall I am extremely happy to add this to my library and it looks stunning on my 100 inch screen with 1080p projector! If you are on the fence over the color fuss, don't be.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page