The Lord Of The Rings Motion Picture Trilogy: Extended Edition (Blu-ray) Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 233 Old 11-26-2011, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Encore HD is showing back to back (to back) the 3 extended edition versions this weekend. Complete showing starts Sunday AM (~9am pacific time); also starts Saturday evening (9:30pm)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 233 Old 11-26-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post

Encore HD is showing back to back (to back) the 3 extended edition versions this weekend. Complete showing starts Sunday AM (~9am pacific time); also starts Saturday evening (9:30pm)

Unfortunately, (as is the norm for Starz/Encore) all of them will be 1.78:1 instead of 2.35 widescreen.

post #183 of 233 Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Return of the King was in 2.35 last night
post #184 of 233 Old 11-28-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post

Return of the King was in 2.35 last night

Surprisingly, all three films were! Which is weird because TWO TOWERS via Starz OnDemand is in 1.78!!

post #185 of 233 Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased the LOTR extended blu ray for $55 on Amazon during cyber monday. I have watched all three films and there are no color problems or filters etc. I honestly don't know if my copies are an updated or fixed version, but they look great on my Samsung LN32A550 and Samsung LN40D630, a bit better on the ladder TV though. I do have both TVs calibrated pretty well, and both reproduce color accurately from other sources. The tell tale sign was the snow in the first 2 films, perfect white/gray and not a hint of green or blue.

Purchase with confidence! I am not sure if this whole thing is a big hoax, propaganda, or possibly poorly calibrated LCDs, but I am glad that I waited and got it a very reasonable price.
post #186 of 233 Old 12-03-2011, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Surprisingly, all three films were! Which is weird because TWO TOWERS via Starz OnDemand is in 1.78!!

is the OnDemand one extended version or regular?
post #187 of 233 Old 12-06-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post

is the OnDemand one extended version or regular?

Extended (2 hrs, 59 mins). Why it isn't OAR (but the broadcast version was!) is a mystery.

post #188 of 233 Old 12-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balazo View Post

Just purchased the LOTR extended blu ray for $55 on Amazon during cyber monday. I have watched all three films and there are no color problems or filters etc. I honestly don't know if my copies are an updated or fixed version, but they look great on my Samsung LN32A550 and Samsung LN40D630, a bit better on the ladder TV though. I do have both TVs calibrated pretty well, and both reproduce color accurately from other sources. The tell tale sign was the snow in the first 2 films, perfect white/gray and not a hint of green or blue.

Purchase with confidence! I am not sure if this whole thing is a big hoax, propaganda, or possibly poorly calibrated LCDs, but I am glad that I waited and got it a very reasonable price.

I thought the same thing, and I got the early release of the extended version of LOTR Blu-ray. The Fellowship Of the Ring was supposed to look awful and I thought it looked and sounded great, as did the other two. This was on a calibrated 55'' Panasonic VT30 and an OPPO BDP-93.
post #189 of 233 Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Picked up my copy at future shop in canada yesterday for $39.00. We'll see how it goes!
post #190 of 233 Old 12-15-2011, 06:47 AM

Just started watching it, i should have it all done by .. next week ?

Excellent sound and video. When i bought it remembered about some of the first posts on the color 'issues', but i did not really remember the theater version and could not be bothered to look at compared screenshots. So either ignorance is bliss, or there is just no problem worth obsessing about.
post #191 of 233 Old 12-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhopkins View Post

I thought the same thing, and I got the early release of the extended version of LOTR Blu-ray. The Fellowship Of the Ring was supposed to look awful and I thought it looked and sounded great, as did the other two. This was on a calibrated 55'' Panasonic VT30 and an OPPO BDP-93.

I was a little hesitant because of the low price. It did go through my mind that they were trying to get rid of the botched batch for the holidays but all of my worries were unfounded. I am not trying to undermine others who have experienced the odd colors but it may either a calibration issue or a few bad batches. I am glad I got it a good price, and even more happy I own the full version of one of my favorite movies on blu ray. I run mine on an ungraded 160 GB PS3 slim (great cause you never have to update it for blu rays). Buy it with confidence.
post #192 of 233 Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moork View Post

I'll wait for the individual EE blu-rays, since I already have all the DVD extras. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Why wait? Amazon had the set at 49 dollars. Not sure you can buy them separately for less than 75 or so dollars.
post #193 of 233 Old 12-19-2011, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Ralph like others - i have to thank you for a fair and practical review of the extended releases on blu ray.

I did a pre order and have only watched Return of the King so far. It looks and sounds like I spent my money well. I'll probably find minor chagrin based on your pointing out some notable flaws but again be happy with the purchase.

As another pointed out, the film score/soundtrack by Shore is simply tremendous. For those like me who enjoy this stuff.. or as I call it "poor man's classical" it is worth adding to your collection on CD.

Again - truly glad I made the purchase and found Ralph's review balanced and a good read.
post #194 of 233 Old 12-21-2011, 12:13 PM

Just picked up mine at Costco. Can't wait to watch Christmas night after the little ones go to bed. Wife wrapped it and it is under the tree. Costco had it for $54.99. Not bad price in my opinion.
post #195 of 233 Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 PM

It will be 39.99 at Future Shop on Boxing Day here in Canada
post #196 of 233 Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 AM

Phrehdd: > ...the film score/soundtrack by Shore is simply tremendous. For those like me who enjoy this stuff.. or as I call it "poor man's classical" it is worth adding to your collection on CD.

It's not "poor man's". It's as close to traditional classical (concert-length orchestral on a single theme) as the late 20th century and beyond is likely to get. This is confirmed by the number of local symphony orcs that now perform movie music programs.

What we call "classical" may well have been largely the consequence of listening conditions prior to recorded music. Live music, outside the home, was the only choice for non-musicians below upper class (and for most of the rich as well). Travel was slow and tedious, even if you owned a carriage. So the performance had to be worth the effort and time, but not too long (like, say, watching LoTR all in one sitting ).

And I'm really glad that Horner didn't get the Ring job. His noises nearly sank Titanic.
post #197 of 233 Old 12-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Liked: 13
I got the LOTR EE Bluray for xmas, wife bought it through amazon. I watched Fellowship on the big screen last night and couldn't see any blue hues added to any scenes (Including the snowy mountain scenes). The screenshots I saw looked so drastic I was expecting it to look very noticeable. I'm very happy with the look & sound, superb quality.
post #198 of 233 Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhander View Post

I got the LOTR EE Bluray for xmas, wife bought it through amazon. I watched Fellowship on the big screen last night and couldn't see any blue hues added to any scenes (Including the snowy mountain scenes). The screenshots I saw looked so drastic I was expecting it to look very noticeable. I'm very happy with the look & sound, superb quality.

I think I agree with you on this. After reading so many people complaining about the green tint. I've watched the first 90 minutes tonight and I think perhaps I've noticed some difference in tint and saturation compared to the EE DVD version - just watched them earlier in the week, but where I believe there is a slight change in the greens that it gives those particular scenes a flavor that fits the film. It gives them a slightly more dark tone and maybe it's because the Fellowship of the Ring sets up the whole trilogy, I think its the darkest film of the three and to that end the tint doesn't detract from the scene if only perhaps noticing that it seems different.

But, so far some of the best shots of panoramic landscapes look amazing with no excessive greens or tints. Besides those shots, there are still plenty more where I can't see any and change. Perhaps it has to do with calibration, I don't know. I don't have my screen professionally calibrated, my color tones are set to default and my chosen color temp is warm 1.

I will say that one thing that I truly enjoy about blu-ray that I see on almost every DVD that I watch is the brief pause in the change of layers. I'm not sure if it's the buffer during blu-ray playback, but my player still pauses on DVDs. I have yet to notice that on a BD.
post #199 of 233 Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Will it ever be possible to rent these?

Lifespeed
post #200 of 233 Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM

They sure are cheap, nice to buy them.
post #201 of 233 Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 PM

lifespeed > Will it ever be possible to rent these?

There are still rental shops where you live?

Meanwhile, buy a set from Amazon or eBay, and then "return" it to eBay. Resale values are in the $50 range.

I've been trying to bottom-feed a set for under $30 now for some time, and no luck.
post #202 of 233 Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post

lifespeed > Will it ever be possible to rent these?

Meanwhile, buy a set from Amazon or eBay, and then "return" it to eBay. Resale values are in the $50 range.

I've been trying to bottom-feed a set for under $30 now for some time, and no luck.

The extended edition is hands down the best trilogy of my generation (ever in my eyes on bluray with the DTS HD Master audio) and 10 years later still stands up to anything being released. Well worth the <$50 it can be had for now, and I don't regret paying $80 for it at it's release.
post #203 of 233 Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, there are a couple, although I was also thinking about Netflix or Blockbuster.

But my patience has worn thin as these were released more than 6 months ago. So I ordered a set from Amazon.

PM me in a few weeks after I am done watching them and I'll sell them to you, never fired and only dropped once.

Lifespeed
post #204 of 233 Old 02-05-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Watched the full 4H 10Min ROTK last night. Loved it but too damn long. It seemed like it had 8 endings in the last hour!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #205 of 233 Old 02-08-2012, 04:16 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Watched the full 4H 10Min ROTK last night. Loved it but too damn long. It seemed like it had 8 endings in the last hour!

I can't do that anymore Jeff. I know watch them in two parts over two nights(extended edition).

Frank
post #206 of 233 Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

This is confirmed by the number of local symphony orcs that now perform movie music programs.

The concept of "symphony orcs" in this context is simply awesome.

post #207 of 233 Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Hate to resurrect an old thread BUT ...

Just got my first blu-ray player and a new TV that will play 1080p24 ... We watched Fellowship from this set last night and I was blown away. The depth in some of the scenes is phenomenal. The Audio from this set is dang near perfect. You can hear whispers easily but you don't have to turn it down during the loud sequences even though they are thunderous. Truly great mixing job. Can't wait to get through the other discs.
post #208 of 233 Old 06-06-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I'm glad you posted because after years of protesting the franchise, I came in and started reading about the issues people were having with the quality of the picture and really didn't know if it was a real issue or not so I never purchased any of them. My protesting wasn't related to the video quality or anything but rather when I bought the DVD when first released they later came out with the extended version. I was a little miffed about that. When Two Towers came out there were things relating to the extended version of Fellowship so I felt like my theater experience was limited. More miffed. I knew then that an extended version would be coming out of Two Towers but I refused to buy it for purposes of consistency with my collection and to protest. Now the whole thing all along was that the films were too long so that's why there was a theatrical release and then the extended version of DVD. Then ROTK came out and it really pissed me off because that movie was longer than any of the releases including the extended versions. All of a sudden the length of the movie wasn't an issue anymore and on top of that, more things occurring in ROTK related to the extended versions on DVD so my experience was again limited. So I never bought the extended versions and I never bought ROTK either. Because it was an HD presentation I did watch on HBO or something and thought it looked pretty good. Now I'm thinking it's time to go ahead and add them to my BD collection but again some of the comments people made really had me a little put off on purchasing because I will not buy a BD of poor quality. I'm a snob that way. But your post was well received and appreciated. Please let me/us know what you think of the next two.
post #209 of 233 Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

I'm more of a snob on the audio side. Since you are a professed Video snob, keep a couple things in mind. I haven't watched other blu-ray movies as this is my first BR player. And, this was the first movie we watched. So, I don't have a reference other than from watching HD-DVDs, which I do own. I'm also watching on a brand new, un-calibrated (or roughly calibrated) TV.

With that in mind, I'm not one of those that care that they may have messed with the pallet of the theatrical release. I just care that it looks good on my TV. I couldn't even tell you if the differences are noticeable or not. I saw the movies exactly 1 time each at the theater. That's been many years, so I have no "memory" of the colors. So, if that kind of thing is important to you, then I may be a bad person to listen to.

Anyhow, I can say that the 24 frame experience was exactly what I hoped .. smooooooooth. There is some SOE in a few scenes, especially in the early Shire scenes. But, I found it amazing instead of distracting.

Let me add that this is a very large collection of materials and has tremendous packaging. I found this as a huge step up from the widescreen DVD versions I own.

Just my 2 cents.
post #210 of 233 Old 06-10-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

We've made it through all but the last ROTK disc. This is a tremendous set. I'm still extremely impressed with both the audio and the video. I will say that the EE drags stuff out a bit. The watery eyed wistful hobbit staring contests were bad enough in the original movies. It's almost comical with the added bits. But, there are certainly some scenes that add a lot to the movie. So, all in all a good thing.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page