The Lord Of The Rings Motion Picture Trilogy: Extended Edition (Blu-ray) Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
attachment.php?attachmentid=215165&d=1308321104
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2001, 2002, 2003
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 681 minutes (films only)
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 6.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellan, Liv Tyler, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom, Elijah Wood, Dominic Monaghan, John Rhys-Davies, Sean Bean, Billy Boyd, Miranda Otto, Ian Holm, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Karl Urban, Andy Serkis, Bernard Hill, Christopher Lee, David Wenham
Directed by: Peter Jackson
Music by: Howard Shore
Written by: Stephen Sinclair, Fran Walsh, Peter Jackson, Phillipa Boyens
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 28, 2011

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future"

Film Synopsis:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy tells the story of Frodo Baggins (Elijah Wood), a hobbit who battles against the Dark Lord Sauron to save
his world, Middle-earth, from the grip of evil. With the help of a courageous fellowship of friends and allies, Frodo embarks on a perilous mission to destroy the legendary One Ring, the source of Sauron’s power. If Sauron reclaims the Ring, Middle-earth is doomed.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=215273&d=1308403770

Based on the best-selling novels by J.R.R. Tolkien this spectacular body of work is divided into three films that are brought to the big screen by director Peter Jackson. This movie trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King depict an epic journey of men, hobbits, elves, dwarves and the rest of Middle-earth’s creatures and cultures. The films chronicle the struggle of good versus evil with fantastic special effects and a strong emotional center; capturing the enduring fellowship and ultimate sacrifice while enhancing the chaos and destruction of Middle-earth. Here is a brief overview:

In the first part of the trilogy, The Lord of the Rings: Felowship of the Ring the young hobbit Frodo Baggins inherits a ring; but this ring is no mere trinket. It is the One Ring, an instrument of absolute power that could allow Sauron, the dark Lord of Mordor, to rule Middle-earth and enslave its peoples. Frodo, together with a Fellowship that includes his loyal hobbit friends, humans, a wizard, a dwarf and an elf, must take the One Ring across Middle-earth to Mount Doom, where it first was forged, and destroy it forever. Such a journey means venturing deep into territory manned by Sauron, where he is amassing his army of Orcs. And it is not only external evils that the Fellowship must combat, but also internal dissension and the corrupting influence of the One Ring itself. The course of future history is entwined with the fate of the Fellowship.

In their parallel journeys, the Fellowship will stand against the powerful forces spreading from the Two Towers -- Orthanc Tower in Isengard, where Saruman has bred a lethal army of 10,000 strong; and Sauron’s fortress at Barad-dûr, deep within the dark lands of Mordor. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers culminates in the astonishing battle for the refuge, Helms Deep, the Kingdom of Rohan’s ancient large stone fortress, besieged by Uruk-hai warriors. In the final installment, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, the final battle for Middle-earth begins. Frodo and Sam (Sean Astin), led by the mysterious Gollum (Andy Serkis), continue their dangerous mission toward the fires of Mount Doom in order to destroy the One Ring. Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) struggles to fulfill his legacy as he leads his outnumbered followers against the growing power of the Dark Lord Sauron, so that the Ring-bearer may complete his quest.

attachment.php?attachmentid=215275&d=1308403775

The trilogy tells tales of extraordinary adventures across the treacherous landscape of Middle-earth and reveals how the power of friendship, love and courage can hold the forces of darkness at bay. I love The Lord of the Rings for its quintessential adventure, broad narrative and compelling characters. I love these films because they bring its essence to life via a captivating and visceral epic scope, uncompromising production value, and superlative cinematic vision. I am always surprised when I run across a movie fan who says that have never “gotten into” The Lord of the Rings films. This happens more frequently than one would think, as a matter of fact I live with two such people, my wife and son (my daughter loves them as well). Having seen each of them during their theatrical runs I became enamored by the richness of the storytelling, attention to detail and nuanced performances by the incredible assemblage of acting talent. I have heard many discussions/debates about which film is the best or who’s favorite this one or that is. I prefer to look at them as one film and when I do watch start from the beginning and work my way through to the end.

I have clear recollections of the painful wait time between each theatrical release and looked forward to owning them all on home video. As soon as the extended edition DVDs became available I scooped them up as well and have never looked back. While there is a little extraneous extension I find that the majority of the additional scenes enhance each film. My reaction to them is always the same. I find myself chuckling, cheering (not out loud of course), and enthralled at all the same moments. As I take it all in my emotive connection to the characters and story is renewed. Trying to summarize my favorite moments would simply take up too space as there are many, both large and small, and I wouldn’t want to leave any out. I feel much the same way about the characters. I am probably equally fond of Sam, Legolas, Aragorn, Gandalf, Gimli, Faramir, Boromir, Merry/Pippin, Theoden, and Eowyn. I must admit to being partial to the Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli trio though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=215274&d=1308403770

Like many of you reading this, I eagerly awaited the coming of the extended edition to Blu-ray. This is a comprehensive set that includes each film spread over two BD-50 Blu-ray Discs, and more than 26 hours of additional content, including the rare behind-the-scenes documentaries for each film created by Costa Botes. The 15 disc set comes housed in a gold, embossed slipcase with an attractive design and rigid construction that includes a concealed magnetic strip that seals it shut. The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy is an epic journey of men, hobbits, elves, dwarves and the rest of Middle-earth’s creatures and cultures. The films chronicle the struggle of good versus evil with fantastic special effects and a strong emotional center; capturing the enduring fellowship and ultimate sacrifice while enhancing the chaos and destruction of Middle-earth. I am a big fan and the arrival of the Extended Edition releases to Blu-ray is “most welcome”.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for epic battle sequences and frightening images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: Detail:%20%3Cimg%20src=

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The sound quality of all three films is equal with respect to my rating parameters so I will address them all with my comments here. The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is reference quality and is sure to please those who like to play their systems loud. I had high expectations for this soundtrack and this lossless audio presentation didn’t disappoint. I was treated to an impeccably detailed, powerfully dynamic, and demonstrative surround sound experience. Multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that their purpose is definable yet not overstated. The mix makes effective and often aggressive use of the surround channels to elongate the front soundstage as it reproduces the spatial and discrete sounds of this demanding soundtrack. The front and rear sound fields are integrated with precision which enables a seamless transference during panning sequences. The listening position is submerged into a 360 degree web of sound that is sometimes riveting as it bombards the senses with a combination of well placed sound effects and musical ambience. Dialogue is supremely articulated with excellent focus, clarity and descriptive intonation.

Low frequency detail can be substantive as it occasionally reaches seismic levels that will test the limits of lesser subwoofers. The extended dynamic range of the recording coupled with the inherent high resolution audio encoding renders the bombastic nature of battle with superlative high level sonics and authoritative bass transients that are deep, powerful and occasionally skin tingling. The LFE channel is mixed on the hot side but I am the first to admit that I love deep, clean, powerful bass and this track delivers it in spades. As viewers I think we sometimes miss some of the intricacies that go into the design of soundtracks such as this. Not so in this case as even seemingly inconspicuous minutia within the recording is detectable. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute with each of these terrific soundtracks.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu-ray (either version) is demonstrative worthy in every regard and is among the most (dare I say THE most) complete home theater experiences I have ever had.

Fellowship of the Ring:

Video: 84

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 6.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mbps.

Last year’s Blu-ray release of Fellowship of the Ring created quite a stir within the internet community as there were some problematic issues with the quality of its high definition rendering. When it was announced that the release of the Extended Edition was going to contain a new transfer re-mastered from the original 2K digital files everyone breathed a sigh of relief and looked forward to the results. Word was also received that director Peter Jackson and director of photography Andrew Lesnie oversaw the retiming of the film’s color as well although the reasoning for this hadn’t been made clear. It didn’t take long for samples/clips/captures to begin appearing on the internet. Outraged fans/enthusiasts began to complain about the changes in the color and what appeared to be the inordinate application of cyan/green which now had been added where it hadn’t previously been and enhanced to a deleterious point otherwise. There were also complaints about problematic changes to the contrast. Upon receiving the set I examined several sequences that seemed to focus on the complaints. The overall changes in color are readily apparent. Across the board chromatic emphasis is deeper which I personally don’t see as a problem. As it was the film relied heavily on deep greens and bluish hues during certain segments. This newly revised presentation overemphasizes some of those segments and imparts what I would call an unnatural level of cyan/green. Furthermore it has been added to segments where it didn’t originally exist. Comparing this presentation to the Extended Edition DVDs confirms this. I don’t have a problem with the stylized use of mood setting color and in fact this very method (image permeating cyan) is used in The Two Towers (examples can be found in the extended edition DVD/Blu-ray at the beginning of chapters 17, 33, 38). The issue here is the inconsistency of its application and use where it doesn’t seem “logical”. The best example of this comes at the 7:21.00 mark where the scene shifts to the Fellowship as they begin their ascent up the snow covered mountain.

On a whole the film appears a bit darker which negatively impacts the perception of shadow detail during some sequences. Conversely there are many instances where the balance between white and black levels is right on the money which gives the video a pleasingly rich quality. The sequence where the four hobbits hide in the root of the tree, as the dark rider hovers directly above, is a good example. The blend of vivid color, deep black and dynamic contrast coupled with the high level of detail looks incredible. I found the changes in contrast to be noticeable but far from egregious. The same is true of the basic changes in chromatic emphasis/depth. The overdriven cyan/green additions/changes are another matter. The sequences affected are apparent and can be distracting especially when viewing with a critical eye. If what appears herein is the intention of Peter Jackson and Andrew Lesnie so be it. As a fan I would have to say that I disagree with them but keeping it in perspective can put it aside knowing that what we see here is in fact what was intended. If that is not the case then that is another matter. I will update this review should any further information come to light in that regard.

Putting those issues aside I found much to like about this presentation. Unlike the previous Blu-ray release fidelity appears intact as the video delivers rewarding levels of detail that enhances the perception of minutia within the physical features and structural make-up of people and objects onscreen. As previously indicated blacks are deep with mildly compromised delineation that lessens dimension but not overtly so. Colors range from lush and vibrant to sepia toned and earthy to bleakly monochromatic. Sequences that feature prolonged use of uneven light and shading are visually enhanced via warm accents and multi-staged grays. Like the color palette fleshtones shift accordingly to coincide with the mood, lighting and scenic theme. The overall result works perfectly within the film’s narrative construct. Grain is intact and gives this presentation a film like aesthetic that looks terrific in high definition. I saw no signs of unwanted digital manipulation, image degrading artifacts or distracting video noise.

As I alluded to earlier I think it is important to keep this presentation in perspective from an overall point of view. While there are aspects of it that are in question I didn’t find that they adversely affected it as a whole. It is true that I am not crazy about some of the revisions (assuming they are what was intended) but at the end of the day The Fellowship of the ring EE looks head and shoulders above the problematic theatrical cut Blu-ray release.

The Two Towers:

Video: 90

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 6.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mbps.

This film utilizes a stylized visual design that has a limited color scheme that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The color range is comprised of earth tones, shades of dark blue, brown, gray and black with splashes of crimson red, and blue. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is boldly applied which empowers whites and grays with minimal loss of detail. Blacks are dynamic and gradationally revealing and shadow detail is equally discerning. The film’s deep grays, rich contrast and stimulating visual aura makes for a perfect companion to the story‘s elements. The use of CGI/green screens and nature of the photography softens some elements and the fluctuating grainy aesthetic (predominantly during low level scenes) is apparent but neither distract as I consistently found the quality of the video to be high. I didn’t see any overt signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous noise. It looks great.

Return of the King:

Video: 90

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 6.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.3 Mbps.

Much like The Two Towers this film utilizes a stylized visual design that has a limited color scheme that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The nature of the photography isn’t lent to high gloss imagery and razor sharpness however there is an enriching and film like quality that abounds. High definition’s increased resolution is readily apparent as textural nuance and subtle refinement is apparent, especially during close-ups. Wide angle vistas views tend to look gorgeous more often than not but can be limited by the film’s post production effects. The color range is comprised of earth tones, shades of dark blue, brown, gray and black with splashes of crimson red, and green/blue hues. Like the color palette fleshtones shift accordingly to coincide with the mood, lighting and scenic theme. The overall result works perfectly within the film’s narrative construct. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is boldly applied which empowers whites and grays with minimal loss of detail. Blacks are dynamic and gradationally revealing and shadow detail is equally discerning. The film’s deep grays, rich contrast and stimulating visual aura makes for a perfect companion to the story‘s elements. Grain is present in fine even layers that are never intrusive. The use of CGI/green screens and photographic effects softens some elements but neither distract. I didn’t see any overt signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous noise. Of the three films I think Return of the King makes for the most satisfying high definition presentation.

Total Video Rating:

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1 (Blu-ray):

• The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Extended
    Edition Part 1

• (HD)The Lord of the Rings: War in the North - The Untold Story Trailer

• Commentary with Peter Jackson & the writing team

• Commentary with the Design Team

• Commentary with the Production and Post Production team

• Commentary with the Cast

• BD-Live enabled

• Disc 2 (Blu-ray):

• The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Extended
    Edition Part 2

• BD-Live enabled

• Disc 3 (DVD):

• The Appendices Part 1 From Book to Vision

• Peter Jackson Introduction

• JRR Tolkien: Creator of Middle-earth – 22 minutes

• From Book To Script – 20 minutes

• Visualizing the Story – 39 minutes

• Designing and Building Middle-earth – 96 minutes

• Middle-earth Atlas – Interactive feature

• New Zealand as Middle-earth - 10 minutes

• Disc 4 (DVD):

• The Appendices Part Two - From Vision to Reality

• Elijah Wood Introduction

• Filming The Fellowship of the Ring – 88 minutes

• Visual Effects – 57 minutes

• Post Production: Putting It All Together – 14 minutes

• Digital Grading – 12 minutes

• Sound and Music – 15 minutes

• The Road Goes Ever On… - 7 minutes

• Disc 5 (DVD):

• Behind-the-Scenes Documentary Created by Filmmaker Costa Botes during filming of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring – 85 minutes

• Disc 6 (Blu-ray):

• The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition Part 1

• BD-Live enabled

• Disc 7 (Blu-ray):

• The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition Part 2

• BD-Live enabled

• Disc 8 (DVD):

• The Appendices Part 3: The Journey Continues

• JRR Tolkien: Origin of Middle-earth – 29 minutes

• From Book to Script: Finding the Story – 21 minutes

• Designing and Building Middle-earth – 89 minutes

• Gollum – 45 minutes

• Middle-earth Atlas - Interactive feature

• New Zealand as Middle-earth – 14 minutes

• Disc 9 (DVD):

• The Appendices Part 4: The Battle for Middle-earth

• Elijah Wood Introduction

• Filming The Two Towers – 89 minutes

• Visual Effects – 54 minutes

• Editorial: Refining the Story – 22 minutes

• Music and Sound – 48 minutes

• The Battle for Helm's Deep is Over… - 9 minutes

• Disc 10 (DVD):

• Behind-the-Scenes Documentary Created by Filmmaker Costa Botes during
    filming of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers – 106 minutes

• Disc 11 (Blu-ray):

• The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Extended
    Edition Part 1

• BD-Live enabled

• Disc 12 (Blu-ray):

• The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Extended
    Edition Part 2

• BD-Live enabled

• Disc 13 (DVD):

• The Appendices Part 5: The War of the Ring

• JRR Tolkien: The Legacy of Middle-earth – 30 minutes

• From Book to Script – 30 minutes

• Designing and Building Middle-earth – 118 minutes

• Home of the Horse Lords – 30 minutes

• Middle-earth Atlas

• New Zealand as Middle-earth – 16 minutes

• Disc 14 (DVD):

• The Appendices Part 6: The Passing of an Age

• Introduction

• Filming The Return of the King – 73 minutes

• Visual Effects – 43 minutes

• Post-Production: Journey’s End – 89 minutes

• The Passing of an Age – 25 minutes

• Cameron Duncan: The Inspiration for Into the West – 32 minuet human interest story on a young terminally ill filmmaker

• Disc 15 (DVD):

• Behind-the-Scenes Documentary Created by Filmmaker Costa Botes during filming of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – 113 minutes

• Digital Copy: Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King

attachment.php?attachmentid=215491&d=1308594723

Final Thoughts:

Based on the best-selling novels by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy is an epic journey of men, hobbits, elves, dwarves and the rest of Middle-earth’s creatures and cultures. The films chronicle the struggle of good versus evil with fantastic special effects and a strong emotional center; capturing the enduring fellowship and ultimate sacrifice while enhancing the chaos and destruction of Middle-earth. Out of the 30 total Oscar nominations received, The Lord of the Rings movies won a record 17 Academy Awards. Truly a cinematic achievement these wonderful films make for magnificent entertainment that I can simply watch over and over. I have eagerly awaited the release of the Extended Edition’s on Blu-ray.

Controversy over the revision of Fellowship of the Ring has resulted in questions regarding the worthiness of this set. I have stated my opinion with respect to its revisions as they currently stand. While it is a factor it is mitigated by the obvious improvements offered by the new transfer that has been re-mastered from the film’s original 2K digital files. In looking at this offering from a global perspective I would say that it’s most definitely a winner. It features excellent high definition video quality, spectacular 6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio sound and the most comprehensive collection of Lord of the Rings supplemental material available on home video. Technically perfect or not The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy: Extended Edition on Blu-ray from Warner Home video is a fabulous collection that I am thrilled to have in my Blu-ray library.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Awesome review Ralph and thanks for your thougths on the "green" issue. From what I have seen of it in the screens, I think it is flat out ugly and am hoping this is a flaw, but time will tell.

Green issue aside, glad TT and ROTK dont have any questionable issues and excited to hear the audio on these!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Awesome review Ralph and thanks for your thougths on the "green" issue. From what I have seen of it in the screens, I think it is flat out ugly and am hoping this is a flaw, but time will tell.

+1 !

Thanks also for mentioning the issue with underexposed scenes.
post #4 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Thanks, Mr. Potts! Great review.

I'm sticking with my plan to buy it. I didn't buy the theatrical set solely due to the blurry mess that was FOTR. This set corrects that. Plus, I like the extended editions more anyway!

If, by some miracle, the studio offers an exchange program for the bizarre color issues (which seem to be a mistake), I certainly won't complain.
post #5 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 PM

Excellent review. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I think I am in for this one. I have waited long enough.
post #6 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Howard Shore's score for this movie is one of the most under-rated elements of this work. I'm glad to hear they've done justice to his music via the top quality sound.

For me, this is a MUST HAVE. I'm going to Amazon right now to order it.

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" premieres in December 2012. "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" premiered in December 2013. I am can't wait!
post #7 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Ralph .. Reviewing this material certainly must make up for some of the "less than stellar" material you sometimes get ..

thank you very much ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Thanks for the review Ralph!

Not surprised about the 100 audio scores, but I'm a little disappointed at the video scores, I was hoping all 3 transfers would be reference. Really disappointing to see FOTR get an 84.

I will most likely still purchase this set, as I don't have any LOTR movies on Blu-Ray yet, but I was hoping for better video scores. Maybe I'll wait until they drop in price. I wonder if they will re-release or re-tool these again when they inevitably release another box-set with The Hobbit movies.

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Quick shot of my gear/theater.
post #9 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the review. Much controversy, seems Mr R. Harris does not see the green on his system. Can't wait to see it myself. Hope it's not another Gladiator.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #10 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Excellent review! Thanks, Ralph!

I sure wish Jackson/Lesnie/Wingnut/Warner would get off their butt and make some kind of statement about the color.

Mark
post #11 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Ralph,

Same audio tracks as the shorter editions?

Jeff

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #12 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
If what appears herein is the intention of Peter Jackson and Andrew Lesnie so be it. As a fan I would have to say that I disagree with them but keeping it in perspective can put it aside knowing that what we see here is in fact what was intended.
Was this transfer not approved by them? Were they indeed in the telecine when changes were being made?

It's always interesting to read points of view on the topic of colour. We know that film has a different colour palette than video. Video has a restricted colourspace hence the reason why films look different on DVD/Blu-ray when compared to the theatrical run. What we see in the theater will never be what we see at home.

But because films have a short theatrical lifespan and live forever on video, those involved with the film can make intended changes with the image as tools improve. The last time this video was colour corrected was...8 years ago? With the tools used today, it's possible that Jackson and Lesnie felt the need to revisit the colour which differs from the DVD we were used to, especially since HDTV colour space is a bit larger than NTSC colour space. They may have used an old CRT monitor as a reference for the master used for the DVD and a new reference monitor with wider colourspace for the master for this blu-ray. So, if this Blu-ray disc is their intent with the new tools available, why should we tell them they are wrong...?

If it's defective, that's a different story... I have not seen it.

Different isn't a bad thing. If the old DVD was approved with tools that were more restrictive, is it wrong to move the image closer to the artist's intent? When a new video format comes to the consumer market with an even wider colourspace and when all films will need to be recoloured again to accomodate new colours that TVs today can't produce - just because it looks different from the older DVD and BD, would people cry foul again...?

Just thoughts...
post #13 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never owned any copy of LOTR only because i was waiting for the Ultimate Collection which is now the time! So i'll definitely be adding this to my collection. It was a long time in the making but it's finally here now and we can all enjoy it.

Cheers
post #14 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is this worth reselling the first release out side of it being extended? RATS....I already own this.

tony4k
post #15 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Liked: 14
All the extra features are on DVDs? That's a pretty major flaw as well.
post #16 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Can't wait to get my hands on this package. Excellent review like always Ralph.
post #17 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 04:59 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Thank you Ralph finally a proper review from the actual blu ray themselves. Looking forward in purchasing my copy on day 1 realeae.

Frank

post #18 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Maybe 3rd time will be the charm for FOTR? I just cant get passed the green going on in this from what we are seeing/reading. Hard to believe this could be intentional, but who knows. Hope we get some sort of confirmation or additional info one way or the other. Not that I will like it any better, but it would be good to know if this is defective (hard to believe it cant be looking at some of the screen grabs!) or not. Why did they have to make a major color change to a film we have been viewing for nearly 10 years at this point??? Ugly!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #19 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 PM

Liked: 11
I'll wait for the reremastered edition?
post #20 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hate to double-dip on blu-rays. But I guess I'll have to make an exception for these Extended Editions. It was an awesome achievement and worth it. Thanks for the review, Ralph!
post #21 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 PM

I'll wait for the individual EE blu-rays, since I already have all the DVD extras. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.
post #22 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 08:43 PM

Liked: 17
There's some HEAVY criticism of the "green tint" issue and it's looking more and more like it was a screwup rather than a deliberate creative decision. Considering my somewhat "purist" stance on films that I've come to adore, this is at present a deal-breaker for me, at least until we get official word from Peter Jackson and/or WB regarding the issue, a possible replacement offer or recall. Very disappointing if it was a quality control snafu, though let me state unequivocally that I support Jackson's creative license 100% and will continue to support his efforts. But so far this just sucks.

post #23 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

Hate to double-dip on blu-rays. But I guess I'll have to make an exception for these Extended Editions. It was an awesome achievement and worth it. Thanks for the review, Ralph!

Agree!

Frank

post #24 of 231 Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 PM

Arg!!! I still can't decide if I want to get this or if I should wait.........

Does anyone know if the digital copy of FOTR has the green tint????

post #25 of 231 Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Well Ralph, because of your glowing report I just dropped $83 on this set.
post #26 of 231 Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post

Arg!!! I still can't decide if I want to get this or if I should wait.........

Does anyone know if the digital copy of FOTR has the green tint????

This split-screen comparison video of the Extended Edition vs the Theatrical Edition might help. If you can live with the green hue, then by all means grab it up. Personally, it's a little too Matrix for me so I'm just gonna wait to see how it all pans out.
post #27 of 231 Old 06-21-2011, 02:19 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridbug View Post

This split-screen comparison video of the Extended Edition vs the Theatrical Edition might help. If you can live with the green hue, then by all means grab it up. Personally, it's a little too Matrix for me so I'm just gonna wait to see how it all pans out.

And it spreads on onto this thread.

Frank

post #28 of 231 Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

And it spreads on onto this thread.

An informed consumer will have fewer regrets. Especially when there's an 80+ dollar price tag involved.

post #29 of 231 Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridbug View Post

An informed consumer will have fewer regrets. Especially when there's an 80+ dollar price tag involved.

Ralph has done that for us already thank you using legit blu rays.

Frank

post #30 of 231 Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Ralph has done that for us already thank you using legit blu rays.

Wait. You're getting grumpy because to many pairs of eyes (including Ralph's) the green tint seems to have been over-applied during the transfer process? If you're cool with having an obviously flawed presentation of one of the best films in cinematic history, then by all means do your thing. But I'm willing to bet there are more than a few discerning viewers who would like to know what they're getting into when they plunk down their hard earned monies. A cursory Google search will show that there are many many reviews popping up from "legit blu rays" and the overwhelming consensus is that while Jackson certainly may have meant to color enhance certain scenes, someone screwed up after he signed off on it and a blanket hue/saturation effect was layed over the ENTIRE film, in ADDITION to whatever enhancements that Jackson made. This is very apparent where there is white in the scene (snow) and blue skies, as well as the opening title card and the white screen fade ins which, all of which are now an unpleasant murky shade of pale green. If you take the time to check up on this issue, you'll see what the critics are talking about.

Like I said, you yourself may not see the green (until you watch your own blu-ray) and even if you do see it, you may be fine with it, and that's your prerogative. But that doesn't mean that the next person who buys the set and is dismayed to see a green wash over the entire first film won't be wishing they'd heard about the problem beforehand.

Lastly, If I've misinterpreted your approach to this, I apologize. It just seems like you're rolling your eyes at the "green tint conspiracy" and IMHO that's doing this forum and its community a bit of a disservice.

Thanks!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page