Sucker Punch (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4
Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > Sucker Punch (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
SimonNo10's Avatar SimonNo10 09:19 PM 08-01-2011
Quote:


When you did your comparison, did you compare your theatrical to your friends extended by chance?

Both were the Extended Cuts (mate only bought the single disc extended version). I bought the 3 disc set (both US copies not UK). When I played my copy and didn't like the lack of bass, I put in the Theatrical version and noticed the volume was lower. My brother bought the same set as me and was unhappy with the overall sound quality so he ordered the stell box version and reported it's the same. So pretty disappointed with my copy and will be sending Amazon an e-mail which I was going to do a few weeks back. Just wanted to test other versions before doing so.

Toe's Avatar Toe 06:35 PM 08-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post
Both were the Extended Cuts (mate only bought the single disc extended version). I bought the 3 disc set (both US copies not UK). When I played my copy and didn't like the lack of bass, I put in the Theatrical version and noticed the volume was lower. My brother bought the same set as me and was unhappy with the overall sound quality so he ordered the stell box version and reported it's the same. So pretty disappointed with my copy and will be sending Amazon an e-mail which I was going to do a few weeks back. Just wanted to test other versions before doing so.
Thanks for the info.
filecat13's Avatar filecat13 07:47 PM 08-03-2011
I received my copy yesterday and watched the extended version today. It looks and sounds very good. The audio in particular was impressive.

As for the movie itself, it will take another viewing perhaps, but I liked it overall. The whole thing is bizarre, yet in its bizarreness I found a certain appeal. It was nice to see young women kicking the butts of despicable men despite the obvious lack of verisimilitude. Well heck, what do you expect?

Just suspend your disbelief and go along for the ride!
Franin's Avatar Franin 09:36 AM 08-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

I received my copy yesterday and watched the extended version today. It looks and sounds very good. The audio in particular was impressive.

As for the movie itself, it will take another viewing perhaps, but I liked it overall. The whole thing is bizarre, yet in its bizarreness I found a certain appeal. It was nice to see young women kicking the butts of despicable men despite the obvious lack of verisimilitude. Well heck, what do you expect?

Just suspend your disbelief and go along for the ride!

hopefully they will have this in tomorrow.
spindoctor's Avatar spindoctor 08:50 AM 08-09-2011
Sucker Punch, one of the rare movies with a female lead, and hero, told with female sensibilities. I thought it was like a steampunk "Girl, interrupted" but my wife, who loved that one, hated "Sucker Punch", even though I had the opposite reaction.

Story telling thought the eyes of a disturbed protagonist is not new, but this one takes you a level deeper into her survival mechanism, vividly brought to life via flashback or fantasy episodes.

I thought this movie told a disturbing story, and well, with delicacy and finesse, and without graphic or violent visuals.

Brilliant.
bigyela's Avatar bigyela 07:58 PM 08-16-2011
i just finished watching this movie, and i am bummed out.

i never got to see her dance
Pinstripe's Avatar Pinstripe 02:22 PM 08-20-2011
Lmao!
eweiss's Avatar eweiss 11:03 PM 08-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Well to each their own but I for one appreciated the interesting story line and how it was told. I'm so sick of the cookie cutter movies that come out all the time telling the same crap the same way. You can almost always tell the story and outcome of the story long before you get through the movie which drives me nutz. I like to be suprised and kept interested and this movie did just that.

+1. I saw it in the theater, and thought it was only so-so. Then I watched the Extended Cut and liked it much better - not solely because of what was added, but mainly because I enjoyed and understood the story more and could revel in the cool visuals. Getting the 3-disc Extended Cut for $15 at Target's this-week price just made it that much sweeter.
House of Boom's Avatar House of Boom 10:18 PM 08-25-2011
I picked this up for the crazy visuals and a couple amazing fight scenes ( Big dragon kill / robot fight etc) .

Anyhow, I think the audio mix is rubbish. Horrible treble in the singing and poor vocal staging. I can barely here the old bastards pearls of wisdom and then bam, horrible singing kicks in crazy loud. Too bad because it could have been amazing. I would go as far as to say it has the worst audio mix I can recall from any action bluray.
eweiss's Avatar eweiss 07:39 AM 08-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post

Sucker Punch, one of the rare movies with a female lead, and hero, told with female sensibilities. I thought it was like a steampunk "Girl, interrupted" but my wife, who loved that one, hated "Sucker Punch", even though I had the opposite reaction.

Tell your wife to read the book Girl, Interrupted. You can usually find cheap copies at used bookstores. It's short, and I found the differences between the book and the movie to be worth knowing.
Trizzly's Avatar Trizzly 01:05 PM 08-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Getting the 3-disc Extended Cut for $15 at Target's this-week price just made it that much sweeter.

You got the bluray for $15 this week or the week it came out?
eweiss's Avatar eweiss 05:32 PM 08-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizzly View Post
You got the bluray for $15 this week or the week it came out?
Not the week it came out; the week of my post. Target had a 1-week price of $14.99 on the 3-disc Blu-Ray (as well as various other movies for $14.99 or $19.99). Someone in another forum here mentioned it, and sure enough, there it was in Target's ad. The Target I went to was out of stock, but Best Buy across the street matched the price since I had the ad in hand. So that would have been last week - i.e., August 15-21.
eweiss's Avatar eweiss 05:36 PM 08-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizzly View Post
You got the bluray for $15 this week or the week it came out?
Not the week it came out; the week of my post (August 15-21; I bought it 8/19). Target had a 1-week price of $14.99 on the 3-disc Blu-Ray (as well as various other movies for $14.99 or $19.99). Someone in another forum here had mentioned the sale, and sure enough, there it was in Target's ad. The Target I went to was out of stock, but Best Buy across the street matched the price since I had the ad in hand.

Amazon now has the Extended Cut BD combo pack for $13.49!!
House of Boom's Avatar House of Boom 06:16 PM 08-26-2011
I may have to pull back my comment on the audio being trash. Just noticed the EQ on my amp was reset. Going to watch my fav fight scenes again ....fingers crossed .

Edit: Watched it again. The loud, quiet, loud, quiet with fits of screeching treble still exist. Bummer. Great movie otherwise. Funny that even the extra's with director commentary are mixed so poorly that you have to constantly adjust volume.
Pinstripe's Avatar Pinstripe 10:21 AM 09-02-2011
Is the steelbook version the extended cut? Amazon says it is, but it's not actually written 'extended' on the case. Thanks!

*Edit: it is, picked it up for $20 at bestbuy.
filecat13's Avatar filecat13 08:41 PM 09-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Boom View Post

The loud, quiet, loud, quiet with fits of screeching treble still exist. Bummer. Great movie otherwise. Funny that even the extra's with director commentary are mixed so poorly that you have to constantly adjust volume.

Have to note the complete opposite experience here. Notably we have different systems, different ears, different rooms, and different preferences, but I found the sound very, very good.

Ralph's 98 is right on the mark for me.

Obviously, YMMV.
filecat13's Avatar filecat13 12:55 PM 09-08-2011
I went through a number of the scenes today to see if I felt the same as I posted above. I do.

There's incredible dynamic range in this movie. I find that to be a plus. My tendency is to be hypersensitive about edgy, screechy, or shrill treble. I do not find my ears "clinching" or clenching" as they do when something really irritates me.

"There's no accounting for taste" as the old adage goes.
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 08:43 PM 09-08-2011
I tried watching a Netflix copy of this flick. I have to admit I gave up after about 45 min. Nothing interesting here, and I want that time back.
Briguy65's Avatar Briguy65 12:35 AM 09-10-2011
I haven't watched the director's cut but I did see the movie, and I was pleasantly surprised. In my opinion I thought it was much better than what the critics wrote about it. I may have to get the blu-ray eventually -- right now though I don't even have a blu-ray player -- soon I hope!
eweiss's Avatar eweiss 07:58 AM 09-10-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post

I haven't watched the director's cut but I did see the movie, and I was pleasantly surprised. In my opinion I thought it was much better than what the critics wrote about it. I may have to get the blu-ray eventually -- right now though I don't even have a blu-ray player -- soon I hope!

The only way to see the Extended Cut is via Blu-Ray. And if you liked or even just sorta liked or maybe didn't hate the theatrical version, your opinion of the movie will probably go up by watching the Extended Cut.
spiritfox's Avatar spiritfox 09:56 AM 09-10-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

The only way to see the Extended Cut is via Blu-Ray. And if you liked or even just sorta liked or maybe didn't hate the theatrical version, your opinion of the movie will probably go up by watching the Extended Cut.

I suppose I should watch the theater cut but I haven't gotten around to it since I love the extended cut so much--think I'll watch it again this afternoon.
filecat13's Avatar filecat13 07:39 AM 09-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I tried watching a Netflix copy of this flick. I have to admit I gave up after about 45 min. Nothing interesting here, and I want that time back.
You don't get it back.
Tags: Blu Ray Movies , Sucker Punch Two Disc Extended Edition Blu Ray
First ... 2  3  4

Up
Mobile  Desktop