Feature running time: 123 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH
Starring: Lambert Wilson, Michael Lonsdale, Olivier Rabourdin, Philippe Laudenbach,
Directed by: Xavier Beauvois
Written by: Etienne Comar
Region Code: A,B

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 5, 2011

"Based on a true story"

Film Synopsis:

OF GODS AND MEN tells a story of eight French Christian monks who live in harmony with their Muslim brothers. When a crew of foreign workers is massacred by an Islamic fundamentalist group, fear sweeps through the region. The army offers them protection, but the monks refuse. Should they leave? Despite the growing menace in their midst, they slowly realize that they have no choice but to stay... come what may.

My Take:

Loosely based on the life of the Cistercian monks of Tibhirine Of Gods and Men tells the story of eight French Christian monk who live in harmony with their Muslim brothers in the mountains of North Africa in the early 1990s. These men of faith live a life of peace, devotion and service to god and community. Their monastery overlooks the local village whose people rely upon them for medical treatment, guidance and friendship. Fear/tension begins to mount within the community as well as among the monks after a group of foreign workers are brutally murdered at their worksite by Islamic fundamentalists. Finding themselves caught between the terrorist group and local military the monks are faced with the decision to leave for their own safety or remain in service to the local Muslim community.

Prior to receiving Of Gods and Men for review I wasn’t familiar with this story. The film is based on the book “The monks of Tibhirine: faith, love and terror in Algeria”. It recounts the events surrounding a group of French trappist monks living a contemplative life of work and prayer when terrorist violence erupts nearby, sending ripples throughout the community. These men don’t want to abandon their “flock” but struggle with feelings of insecurity and fear. As fraternal men of Christian Faith each of them reflects on their calling and looks for strength in their belief. This is a compelling human interest story especially for those who follow the Catholic doctrine. Presented from a sort of fly on the wall perspective we see the conflict shared by these eight men as they face a supreme test of their faith in god and men. It is carefully told and profoundly affecting as it draws us in and slowly unravels the reality of their situation. This is a beautifully crafted film that uses cinematographic imagery and spiritual music as a mosaic. Equally stirring and genuine I found myself completely immersed in the marvelous performances by the cast. Of Gods and Men is a powerful dramatic film based on the real lives of eight men whose humanity, fraternal love, and Christian faith is put to the test. As a person of faith I found the story and the questions it raised to be thought provoking, moving and sadly disturbing.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for a momentary scene of startling wartime violence, some disturbing images and brief language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Of Gods and Men comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.7 mbps.

This a solid video presentation that offers excellent refinement during close ups and discernibly crisp definition within objects during mid level camera pans. The color range perfectly sets the film’s tone and has a reserved aesthetic that rarely offers bright, eye catching hues. Rendering is clean and depth is appropriate. Fleshtones keep pace with the look of the rest of the film and have a balmy but natural texture. Spot on contrast yielded crisp, bright whites and blacks are stable but slightly elevated which leaves them appearing less dynamic and occasionally flat. I didn’t see this as a problem based upon the visual style of the film. This is a pristine encoding that showed no obvious signs of video related artifacts or anomalies. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices are rendered with superior clarity and depth. There is little call for active surround activity and extended dynamics however there is frequent use of atmospheric sounds that utilize the entire soundstage in support of the beautiful vocal performances and exterior/interior venues depicted in the film. The end result is an excellent audio presentation that renders the soundtrack’s elements with aplomb.

*CIH users should not that the subtitles appear within the picture area*

Bonus Features:

• The sacrificed Tibehirine: Further investigation - 18 minute documentary (French)

• Merrimack College Augustine Dialogue with author John W. Kiser- 40 minute Q&A

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• BD-Live enabled

• Bonus DVD - Of Gods and Men
attachment.php?attachmentid=216247&d=1309281657

Final Thoughts:

Loosely based on the life of the Cistercian monks of Tibhirine Of Gods and Men is a compelling dramatic film that tells the story of eight French Christian monks living a contemplative life of work and prayer when terrorist violence erupts nearby, sending ripples throughout the community and forcing these devoted men of the cloth to reflect on their humanity, fraternal love, and Christian faith. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in a technically solid offering that features resplendent high definition video, clear lossless sound and an average set of bonus supplements that are highlighted by a documentary on the film’s subject and people. Of Gods and Men on Blu-ray comes highly recommended and deserves a spot at the top of your rental queue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Fine review of a film I saw in theatrical release and still ranks as one my favorite movies this year. Glad to see it's been faithfully preserved on Blue Ray and I'll be adding this to my purchase list sooner than later!
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Never heard of this film or the story, will definitely check it out though.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #4 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Wow, a 4.5 rating from Ralph = a must see for Summa!

Moving this to the top of my Netflix queue
post #5 of 9 Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Nor have I but will give it a rent.

Frank

post #6 of 9 Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 PM

Liked: 10
I thought this was the Star Trek of Gods and Men

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wo8Hqw2NBw

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Toshiba HD-XA2, Toshiba HD-A35
post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

According to Box Office Mojo it was initially released to 33 theaters in the US and at its widest release numbered 120 theaters. Very popular in France. I also missed this one but will definitely catch it on a rental. Ralph, thanks for the interesting review.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8 of 9 Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A friend of mine was only able to get this BD/DVD Combo and he only has a DVD player, so he gave me the Blu-ray copy for free. I've never heard of this movie until now. Is this movie good?
post #9 of 9 Old 10-14-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

A friend of mine was only able to get this BD/DVD Combo and he only has a DVD player, so he gave me the Blu-ray copy for free. I've never heard of this movie until now. Is this movie good?

I thought this movie was horrible.

I have no clue why it got so many good reviews.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Of Gods And Men Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page