Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Vera Farmiga, David Thewlis, Asa Butterfield, Rupert Friend
Written & Directed by: Mark Herman - Based on the novel by John Boyne
Music by: James Horner
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 19, 2011

"Lines may divide us, but hope will unite us"

Film Synopsis:

Based on the best-selling novel by John Boyne, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is the inspiring story of an eight-year-old boy, Bruno, who strikes up an unusual friendship with a Jewish boy during World War II. Their friendship proves both ordinary and remarkable, both inspiring and tragic.

My Take:

Set during World War II, The Boy in the striped pajamas is a story as seen through the innocent eyes of Bruno an eight year old boy who seeks adventure and friendship. Growing up in Berlin he lived a sheltered and well to do life, far from the reality of the war and the atrocities that came along with it. His father is a German SS officer and accepts a promotion that requires the family to move to a new home in the country. Once there, Bruno, lonely and searching for a playmate (s), notices a farm nearby where all the workers wear pajamas. He mentions this to his mother who sidesteps his questions and directs him not to leave the home's compound. Bruno notices that Pavel, a servant that works on the grounds, wears the same pajamas. Curious and bored Bruno sneaks off and through the woods where he comes to the fenced in farm. There on the other side of the fence he encounters an eight year old boy named Shmuel. Bruno asks questions about his clothing, his family and games he plays on the farm. Shmuel tells him that it's a work camp not a farm, he is a Jew, the soldiers put him there, and he cannot leave. The two instantly become friends with Bruno frequently sneaking out to see him. Meanwhile at home Bruno is slowly coming to the realization that what is going on at the camp is connected to his father and the war. He also sees that the people in the striped pajamas are considered vastly inferior and treated as such by the German soldiers. He is troubled by this and struggles with his feelings. The effects aren't limited to Bruno as the once happy family unit begins to fracture when faced with the realities that surround their new home. For the two little boys who see beyond the boundaries that separate them, friendship means forever

This is an evocative and poignant film in its depiction of loss of innocence, the escalation of hatred/anti-Semitism and the atrocities of the holocaust. At its heart it is really more of a story about this family and the destructiveness of secrets/lies and misguidance. The narrative as seen through Bruno's eyes is conveyed from a child's narrower perspective. It isn't perfectly constructed but bearing that in mind makes its minor shortcomings easy to forgive. This is a thematically driven film with well drawn characters that are designed to connect us with these two little boys, and what they shared. I found the culmination of the story to have an unyielding and effecting resonance that was perfectly implemented. I must admit that listening to the German soldiers speaking with British accents took a little getting used but luckily their credibility isn't integral. The performances of Vera Farmiga, David Hayman, Asa Butterfield and Rupert Friend are on point in eliciting an emotive response to their characters and the story. I thoroughly enjoyed The boy in the striped pajamas.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some mature thematic material involving the holocaust.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The boy in the striped pajamas comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate 18 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.1 Mbps.

This 1.85:1 framed Blu-ray Disc presentation features a solid looking video encoding that boasts stable contrast, bright, detailed whites, and gradationally enhanced grays. This coupled along with punchy blacks and delineated shadow detail gives images both light and dark excellent depth. The video is crisp and definitively resolved as fidelity appears to be intact. Wide angle shots have appreciable dimension with clear rendering of objects within foregrounds and backgrounds. Close ups reveal lots of subtle refinement as the intricate textures within facial features, clothing, and objects is easily discernible. This isn't an overly colorful film. Many sequences have a filtered and de-saturated appearance that seems to coincide with the director's intention. Deep shades of blue and green stand out nicely against the muted chromatic range and look great. Skin tones rarely yield any truly defining complexional characteristics but all appear natural within the scope of the source material. On occasion sharpness wavers however it appears innate and isn't distracting. Overall quality is excellent as the video has a pristine and dimensionally strong perspective that is visually pleasing.

The DTS-HD Master Audio sound mix is perfectly suited to the source material. Dialogue is rendered clearly with good intonation and average room penetration. The bulk of the presentation is handled by the front three channels. Imaging and directional spacing is excellent as soundstage pans are seamlessly integrated. James Horner's music score is reproduced by the entire sound platform with the front channels containing the orchestrated instrumentation and the rear channels providing ambient extension. The orchestrated elements are clear, sibilant free and dynamically satisfying. Surround sound activity is limited to subtle venue replication via atmospheric ambient extension and occasional discrete sound placement.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with Writer/Director Mark Herman and Author John Boyne

• (HD) 5 Deleted scenes - With optional commentary by Writer/Director Mark Herman and Author John Boyne)

• (HD) Friendship Beyond the Fence featurette - 20 minute look behind the scenes with cast/crew

Final Thoughts:

The boy in the striped pajamas is the big screen adaptation of the best-selling novel by John Boyne. It is stirring and poignant in its depiction of loss of innocence, the escalation of hatred/anti-Semitism and the atrocities of the holocaust but at its heart it is really a story about family and the destructiveness of secrets/lies and misguidance. It makes its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate featuring excellent high definition video quality and crystal clear DTS-HD Master Audio sound. Lionsgate has ported over the bonus features included on the DVD release which consists of a making of featurette, filmmaker commentary and a handful of deleted scenes. I thoroughly enjoyed The boy in the striped pajamas and highly recommend it for genre fans.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I was waiting for this movie to be released on blu ray. I've never seen it but have been told how good it is. I will definitely pick this up.

Frank
post #3 of 18 Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This looks so good but I don't think I have the heart to watch it if it ends "badly". One of parenthood's drawbacks.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #4 of 18 Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I 100% absolutely HATED this movie. Every year I do a list of my favorite and least favorite movies, and this one won in 2009.

excerpt:
"I saw a lot of terrible movies this year. Some of the contenders were Transformers 2, Pi, Prom Night, Garden Party, Closing the Ring, The Mist, GI Joe, and Synedoche New York. However, I decided to give the Worst Movie award to a movie that not only managed to bore me, but just plain angered me. That movie is The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. I know there are people out there that enjoyed the movie...I am not one of them. From the Nazis speaking with English accents (seriously, unless they were in uniform, it was impossible to tell the good guys from the bad)...to the horribly contrived plot...to an ending that was so utterly ridiculous that when we're supposed to sobbing, I'm just sitting there wanting to scream at the screen. Congratulations Striped Pajamas, you beat out a movie that featured a scene in which the main character died and went to Robot Heaven."

I realize there are certainly people out there that will have the opposite reaction (such as Ralph, or my wife for that matter)...but I just despised it. I have a feeling I would have actually liked the book a lot though.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
I 100% absolutely HATED this movie. Every year I do a list of my favorite and least favorite movies, and this one won in 2009.

excerpt:
"I saw a lot of terrible movies this year. Some of the contenders were Transformers 2, Pi, Prom Night, Garden Party, Closing the Ring, The Mist, GI Joe, and Synedoche New York. However, I decided to give the Worst Movie award to a movie that not only managed to bore me, but just plain angered me. That movie is The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. I know there are people out there that enjoyed the movie...I am not one of them. From the Nazis speaking with English accents (seriously, unless they were in uniform, it was impossible to tell the good guys from the bad)...to the horribly contrived plot...to an ending that was so utterly ridiculous that when we're supposed to sobbing, I'm just sitting there wanting to scream at the screen. Congratulations Striped Pajamas, you beat out a movie that featured a scene in which the main character died and went to Robot Heaven."

I realize there are certainly people out there that will have the opposite reaction (such as Ralph, or my wife for that matter)...but I just despised it. I have a feeling I would have actually liked the book a lot though.
To allow us to put this into context, would you consider letting us know what your favorite movies were? Just curious.

post #6 of 18 Old 07-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post
To allow us to put this into context, would you consider letting us know what your favorite movies were? Just curious.
Sure thing (I would probably order many of these movies differently had I made the list today, but this was the order 2 years ago)

20) Burn After Reading
19) Watchmen
18) I've Loved You So Long
17) Let The Right One In (original)
16) Snow Angels
15) Apaloosa
14) Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince
13) An Education
12) Brothers
11) The Wrestler
10) 500 Days of Summer
9) Zombieland
8) Taken
7) Old Boy (old movie, but it was new to me that year...also, in hind sight, this would probably now be much higher on the list)
6) Where The Wild Things Are
5) Elegy
4) Tell No One
3) Avatar (if making the list today, this wouldn't be as high)
2) Up!
1) District 9
post #7 of 18 Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post
This looks so good but I don't think I have the heart to watch it if it ends "badly". One of parenthood's drawbacks.
I never viewed SL before becoming a dad. WHen I tried to watch it recently I could not stomach Schindler's List any longer once the kids start coming out of hidingunderneath the beds,etc.THis is PG-13 so I'll bite.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Parenthood makes you realize that the world can be a nasty place that you can't control. We rarely worry about ourselves as much as we do others.

post #9 of 18 Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Being a parent myself, sometimes the harsh stuff can affect me deeply but I never turn off a film. A film like this makes you feel even stronger about your children and about trying to protect the from the evil in the world.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 AM

Liked: 10
This is a very good movie, but it is hard to watch at times.

Cry Havoc and Let Loose the Dogs of War.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-09-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I rented this on DVD when it first came out. While its a very good movie, it is also a very sad and depressing one was well. It is definitely worth seeing.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-09-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduncan View Post

This is a very good movie, but it is hard to watch at times.

This is even harder to watch.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ity+life+death

http://www.kinolorber.com/film.php?id=1190
post #13 of 18 Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Sure thing (I would probably order many of these movies differently had I made the list today, but this was the order 2 years ago)

20) Burn After Reading
19) Watchmen
16) Snow Angels
15) Apaloosa
13) An Education
12) Brothers
11) The Wrestler
10) 500 Days of Summer
9) Zombieland
8) Taken
7) Old Boy (old movie, but it was new to me that year...also, in hind sight, this would probably now be much higher on the list)
5) Elegy
4) Tell No One
2) Up!
1) District 9

Would you mind telling us your age? I'm curious.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-10-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post

Would you mind telling us your age? I'm curious.

I will turn 32 this year. Not sure why it really matters, just from that list, it should be fairly obvious that I enjoy a wide range of movies from foreign art-house films to big summer tent polls.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I loved The Mist nice to see a non hollywood ending for a change.

Dolby Atmos 9.2.4 Marantz 7009 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 bluray player Jvc 4910 projector Benq 1070 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Monster HTS 5100 MK11 power conditioner
Golden Ear Triton 7 L&R &super center XL Emotiva erm 6.2 sides ert 8.3 rear s
Emotiva erd-1 front wides 4 erd-1 on ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
post #16 of 18 Old 07-10-2011, 04:56 PM

I agree, Mist had a great ending...I just hated everything while getting there (especially the jesus lady).

I'm thinking I should delete my post with the top 20....this topic is about one movie, not 20 others from 2 years ago
post #17 of 18 Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

20) Burn After Reading
19) Watchmen
16) Snow Angels
15) Apaloosa
13) An Education
12) Brothers
11) The Wrestler
10) 500 Days of Summer
9) Zombieland
8) Taken
5) Elegy
4) Tell No One
2) Up!
1) District 9

That 'splains it!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #18 of 18 Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I agree, Mist had a great ending...I just hated everything while getting there (especially the jesus lady).

Are you kidding? It just made offing her in classic horror fashion all the more gratuitous!

Knowing is not enough you must apply. Willing is not enough you must do. -Bruce Lee

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Boy In The Striped Pajamas Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread