Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 102
attachment.php?attachmentid=216392&d=1309397570
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Columbia - 1981
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 208 minutes (Directors Cut), 149 minutes (Theatrical Cut)
Genre: Drama, Action, History, War

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): German, English DTS-HD MA 5.1, French (PAR) Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Arabic, Danish, Dutch, English (UK), English (US), Finnish, French (Parisian), Hindi, Norwegian, Swedish
Starring: Herbert Gronemeyer, Jurgen Prochnow, Klaus Wennemann
Directed by: Wolfgang Petersen
Music by: Klaus Doldinger
Written by: Lothar G. Buchheim (novel) & Wolfgang Petersen (Screenplay)
Region Code: Free

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 5, 2011

"Hitler sent out 40,000 men aboard German U-Boats during World War 2. Less than 10,000 returned."

Film Synopsis:

"Das Boot" is the story of a German U-Boat crew, with the film examining how these submariners maintained their professionalism as soldiers, attempted to accomplish impossible missions, while all the time attempting to understand and obey the ideology of the government under which they served.

My Take:

30 years after it theatrical release 'Das Boot' arrives on Blu-ray disc from Sony in a 2 disc set. Disc 1 contains the 208 minute restored directors cut and disc 2 is the theatrical cut and special features. Of course, for this review I watched the Directors cut and am glad to say that I didn't once find my self not sucked into this 208 minutes of subtitles, claustrophobia and perfection.

Legendary director Wolfgang Petersen (Troy, The Perfect Storm and one of my favorite guilty pleasures, Enemy Mine) was in complete command of this WWII story of a German U-Boat manned by a crew of green recruits who are caught up in a war they don't exactly agree with or fully understand. This young crew is sent to take on British Navy supply routes. Led by Capt.-Lt. Henrich Lehmann-Willenbrock (Jürgen Prochnow), this crew is quickly tested and when it encounters a massive attack off depth charges from a British ship. The Capitan, a cynical man who questions the SS and Hitler, is the glue that keeps these young crewmen afloat, and without him and his experience they would have cracked. Now with a ship that might not withstand another attack, they are sent on a suicide mission to sneak through the Straits of Gibraltar to make an attack on enemy shipping. This crew learns the hard and fast way to keep it together for their mission, their captain, each-other and most difficult of all, their own psyche.

'Das Boot' is a, if not the definitive war film, directed with the utmost competence by a then young Peterson. He never lets go, keeping the tension up at all times, and successfully unfolds the relationships within the crew with every crisis. This is not your typical war film, as it isn't about being a hero or saving the day, it's about survival, plain and simple. It's about these guys finding courage where there is nothing to draw from, finding your place in the claustrophobic confines of a submarine, deep under surface, weak from attack and uncertain about making it home. During this nearly 4 hours of film, I felt how these guys felt, with the walls caving in and the pressure of being on non-stop alert. The gauntlet of realistic human emotions these crewmen and captain go through is so real, the claustrophobia of the ship so palpable, this movie just owns the viewer.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for some war violence and brief language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 94

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 82

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=121037369
'Das Boot' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22.4 mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 2.3 mbps.

Sony delivers us a reference DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound with its Blu-ray debut of 'Das Boot'. The mix was spot on, with heavy use of the effects channels that fill you with the sounds of the sea, the boat creaking and the echoes of life in a submarine. The mix really was the defining factor that gave the claustrophobic setting its last injection of realism. This track really did have the sonic power to make you feel confined with its accurate sound-stage and its immaculately built sound design. The LFE was big, deep and tight, making the concussion of depth charges palpable and the roar of the ocean frightening realistic. Though spoken in German, it seemed the dialogue was mixed as well as the effects. I didn't find any faults in this track and it is now one of my all time favorites. Not only is it dynamic, realistic and powerful, it adds to the story by being a major component of the films success.

Considering how great the Audio is, this might just be the best the source for 'Das Boot' might be, and seems to be a product of how it was filmed and the confines of the tight locals within a ship. Besides a healthy dose of film grain, noise would spike up ever now and again, spoiling some shots with it's obviously noticeable difference. There are times where the fine details are rendered and are rather impressive, but softness rears its ugly head a bit more than we like to see. Blacks and shadow detail were strong but did also waiver scene to scene. Colors felt dull and cold, however fit extremely well with the setting of inside a submarine. The good news is that was intentional, as they did look more vibrant in the beginning party scene as well as the ending. This is a presentation worthy of Blu-ray, it is just not a top-tier, and really is like a boat on the ocean, rocking to-and-fro.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with Director Wolfgang Peterson & Actor Jürgen Prochnow

• (HD) Wolfgang Petersen - Back To The Boat

• (HD) The Perfect Boat-The Director's Cut

• (HD) Maria's Take

• (HD) The Battle of The Atlantic (1983)

• (HD) Captain's Tour: Inside the Boat (Entry Conning Tower, The Control Room, Captain's & Officers' Rooms, Torpedo Room and Crew's Quarters, Petty Officers' Room & Galley, Diesel & Electric Motor Rooms)

• (HD) The Battle of The Atlantic (1983)

• Behind The Scenes (1981)

• BD Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=216393&d=1309397570

Final Thoughts:

'Das Boot' is das movie, yo. Really, it is one of my top 10 films of all time, and is worth the commitment of its 208 minute runtime. The gauntlet of realistic human emotions these crewmen and captain go through is so real, the claustrophobia of the ship so palpable, this movie just owns the viewer. This release from Sony is packed with great special features including the original 149 min theatrical cut, a commentary recorded in 1995 with Director Wolfgang Peterson & Actor Jürgen Prochnow, as well as a informative making of the directors cut. If you have yet to see 'Das Boot' I highly suggest doing so and can recommend this for the amazing film and superlative audio presentation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-X3 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 200 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sunfire Cinema Ribbon Trio On-Wall (5.1)
Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ Solitaire 10"

Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Spot on review, bought this movie last week and couldn't wait to watch it! Has been one of my favorites on DVD for years and the Blu-ray didn't disappoint.

Talon884
Sarasota, FL

"I find your lack of faith ... disturbing."
post #3 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Greetings,

Thanks Lee..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #4 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 AM

Liked: 12
Easily one of my all time faves, maybe even Top 5. This new Bluray is, unfortunately, hard to spot here in Canada though. :S
post #5 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Might have been good to include some comments about the theatrical cut, which is still a perfectly legitimate version of this film. It has the original 2-ch audio track only, which is nowhere near the quality of the updated 5.1 audio.

My own unscientific impression of the video quality of the 2 versions was that the DC also has a slight edge in PQ, although I don't know why it would unless the 2 transfers were from different sources.
post #6 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon884 View Post

Spot on review, bought this movie last week and couldn't wait to watch it! Has been one of my favorites on DVD for years and the Blu-ray didn't disappoint.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Might have been good to include some comments about the theatrical cut, which is still a perfectly legitimate version of this film. It has the original 2-ch audio track only, which is nowhere near the quality of the updated 5.1 audio.

My own unscientific impression of the video quality of the 2 versions was that the DC also has a slight edge in PQ, although I don't know why it would unless the 2 transfers were from different sources.

I am throwing it in today and will give my impressions. Was under the gun to get this write-up posted. To me the theatrical cut was a bonus feature as this release was all about the Directors Cut.

Lee

post #7 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Das Boot = Da!!
post #8 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up Lee. Had no idea this had come out.
I saw Das Boot at the theater when it was first released. A hellavah movie that made quite an impression on me. Look forward to seeing it again.

Are we having fun yet?
post #9 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

I am throwing it in today and will give my impressions. Was under the gun to get this write-up posted. To me the theatrical cut was a bonus feature as this release was all about the Directors Cut.

I would never have thought to consider the theatrical cut as a "bonus feature". But I do think that in this release it has not received the restorative tweaking that the DC has gotten, so maybe your approach is the better.

Now, a 4-5 disc set including fully restored versions of the TC AND the complete 5-hr uncut version would have been nice.
post #10 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Great to see a review for this.

Thanks Lee

Djoel

post #11 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I really enjoyed the movie on DVD and so it was a no-brainer to order the Blu-ray disc from Amazon. I can't wait to watch this movie this weekend.

Cal68

Cal68
post #12 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 AM

Lee,

I saw that the Director's cut is also in English DTS HD Master Audio. Did you try that audio track to see how it compares to the original German? I'd be curious to know if the dubbing is decent enough to be able to see the movie in English without subtitles (although I know everyone will say it's not the "pure" original version), and I would guess that the sound effects are the same as the ones used in the German soundtrack.
post #13 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The dubbed English is inferior in every way, you lose all the nuances of the actor's efforts and much of the realism. Maybe someone who knows can chime in here, but I think most of the dialog was recorded live, so there's no way a dubbed version have have the same impact, audio-wise.

The times that I have tried the English dubbed audio, I rejected it almost immediately.
post #14 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To see this in BR format is a must for me! Great flick, however, when I saw it, i was using netflix streaming on an X360 probably 2-3 years ago. Something was off about the formatting (couldn't read the subtitles) so we had to watch it in it's compressed size, which ended up being the size of maybe a 15" diag screen on my 50" DLP. Needless to say we scooted the couch up a few feet and were still drawn in by the depth of this movie. We just moved into a new place and are planning a theater, I think this movie would be a perfect opening act!

Edit

...With Subtitles...
post #15 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Now, a 4-5 disc set including fully restored versions of the TC AND the complete 5-hr uncut version would have been nice.

Amen. I got the 5 hour dvd. Always good for wasting 1/4 of the day. Encore used to show that version a couple years back.

ALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #16 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Liked: 19
Thanks for the review. No idea it was being released on BD. Must buy for me.

Have to watch it in the native German (with subtitles).. English translation just isn't the same.
post #17 of 37 Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 PM

This was my very first DVD and while I have many Blu-Rays, I guess I am gonna have to add it after this review.
post #18 of 37 Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Great movie, was the original in b/w or was it always in color?

post #19 of 37 Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post
Amen. I got the 5 hour dvd. Always good for wasting 1/4 of the day. Encore used to show that version a couple years back.

ALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why is this directors cut shorter than the original dvd?

Dan
post #20 of 37 Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Theatrical: 2 hrs 29 min
DC: 3 hrs 28 min
Uncut: 4 hrs 53 min
post #21 of 37 Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Great movie, was the original in b/w or was it always in color?
Always in color.
post #22 of 37 Old 07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
krs

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Das Boot = Da!!

Ya, Das Boot.

Lee,
I hadn't even known it was available.
Thanks to your fine review it's gone to the head of my to-buy list.
Thanks Much!
-ken
post #23 of 37 Old 07-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Das Boot is war masterpiece.
I saw it when it was released in the theater in 1983 and two other times later on DVD version.
This one is a must get for me.
To me, U-Boat of Hitler was the equivalence of the Kamikaze on the Pacific side of the war.

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune:

post #24 of 37 Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon884 View Post

Me too!

thanks Lee

Nice Stuff!
post #25 of 37 Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

why is this directors cut shorter than the original dvd?

Hi Dan,

there are 3 versions of Das Boot:

1) theatrical version
2) directors cut of the theatrical version
3) a mini-series with 5 or 6 six parts (which is the longest version)

Ciao,
Jens
post #26 of 37 Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Das Boot = Da!!

Da is Russian, Ja is German!! Just a heads up!! One of my favs, brings back memories of my father, we watched many a war movie together.

Jeff
post #27 of 37 Old 07-14-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpellChecker View Post

Lee,

I saw that the Director's cut is also in English DTS HD Master Audio. Did you try that audio track to see how it compares to the original German? I

I just got the blu-ray yesterday and have watched the first two hours. Just for fun I checked to see if the English translation had improved since earlier versions, nope. It's sort of "Das Boot for Dummies".
post #28 of 37 Old 07-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbob View Post

I just got the blu-ray yesterday and have watched the first two hours. Just for fun I checked to see if the English translation had improved since earlier versions, nope. It's sort of "Das Boot for Dummies".

Thanks; I figured it would be the only way, but I was hoping against hope...
I'll just stick to the original German with subtitles!
post #29 of 37 Old 07-16-2011, 09:38 PM

Liked: 13
Time to upgrade my, um, Laserdisc.

post #30 of 37 Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpellChecker View Post

Thanks; I figured it would be the only way, but I was hoping against hope...
I'll just stick to the original German with subtitles!

To me it's better to watch a movie with the original language subtitles. It's just more realistic. Like "Passion of the Christ", "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, etc. A movie I can't stand to watch, both because it was only semi historicaly acurrate at best and the fact that they used an English actor for a Russian part and an American for the German part was Enemy at the Gates. Das Boot will be watched with the original German with subtitles here.

Jeff
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Das Boot Directors Cut Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Das by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page