The Reef (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > The Reef (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
Lee Weber's Avatar Lee Weber 08:49 AM 07-18-2011
attachment.php?attachmentid=216961&d=1310002966
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109940&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Image Entertainment - 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 88 minutes
Genre: : Drama, Horror

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish
Starring: Damian Walshe-Howling, Gyton Grantley, Adrienne Pickering, Zoe Naylor, Kieran Darcy-Smith, Mark Simpson
Directed by: Andrew Traucki
Music by: Rafael May
Written by: Andrew Traucki, James M. Vernon
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 19, 2011

"Pray that you drown first."

Film Synopsis:

On the beautiful but dangerous waters of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, ship delivery man Luke and four friends chart a yacht to its new owner. Along the way, their ship is torn open by sharp rocks and begins to sink, leaving the passengers with a terrifying choice: stay on board with slim hope of rescue, or swim twelve miles to the nearest island… through shark-infested waters. When they enter the water, an unstoppable, relentless Great White immediately follows their trail for a white-knuckle chase that will fill the waters with blood! From the director of the acclaimed monster hit Black Water comes a pulse-pounding, visually stunning thriller that never lets go until the final, heart-stopping scream!

My Take:

For full disclosure, Jaws is one of my top 10 films and I definitely have a fear of sharks. Getting me over my chest in the ocean requires xanax and a bloody mary. Upon receiving 'The Reef' for review, I was hopeful. It looked like a cross between Jaws and Open Water, and the shark footage was of a real Great White. I was ready! Bring it on baby, scare me...

Just like we have learned over and over since its 1974 release, nothing comes close to Jaws when it comes to shark flicks (or movies in general), and almost every attempt to cash in on the mysterious Great White has been a failure in my book. Open Water took a different spin on the shark genre, stranding a couple in the water after they were left behind by a scuba tour. It was suspenseful and entertaining, but was really just a one time watch for me. 'The Reef', like Open Water, is based on true events, but it ups the ante, leaving us floating in Australia's Great Barrier Reef with four people (yes 2 more!), until the sharks come-a-bitin'. Like Jaws, it's one shark that is stalking and picking off these floating human morsels.

If you have yet to see its contemporaries, 'The Reef' could be consider a nail biter. The films Achilles heel is its lack of originality, because its not bad at all. The film has some nice suspense and half decent character development to keep the stories set-up from being completely bland. The acting and direction are competent, however, having seen the other "sharkies" (new genre I termed ) all I could think was "why bother"? The footage of the real Great White was cool, but lacked the scale and contrast of actually showing it next to the victims to make it really menacing. There was not enough gore, and that decent character development I mentioned before was not enough to feel much emotion when dinner was served.

If you are a fan of the "sharkie" genre, give it a rental if you are so inclined. I was disappointed and am tiring of the same ol' same ol'...Bring on a Jaws Blu-Ray ASAP Mr. Spielberg!

Parental Guide:

Rated R for language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 86

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=121037369
'The Reef' splashes its way on to Blu-ray Disc from Image Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20.9 mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 mbps.

'The Reef' is a great looking Blu-ray release from Image Entertainment. Presented in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, its 35 mm image is filmic has a healthy dose of grain. That coupled with its sharp and surprisingly detailed high definition transfer is quite impressive. Colors and flesh-tones seemed right on for the sunny lighting conditions and coldish hue (think blue water and blue skies), and when called upon, black levels rose to the challenge. On rare occasion I noticed some minor banding in the sky, but besides that there was no other imperfections to be noted. The 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio soundtrack was well-articulated, with the sound of water filling all 360 degrees of the sound-stage. It felt like you were floating along with these unfortunate pieces of human chum. Dialouge was never washed away by the sounds of the ocean, and there was a realism the the flapping sounds of water breaking on the surface that seemed real and wet. The LFE never got as guttural as it could have, but this didn't detract from the nice sound design that is delivered here.

Bonus Features:

• (SD) Shooting with Sharks (making of)

• (SD) Theatrical Trailer

Final Thoughts:

'The Reef' is an effective stranded Man Vs. Monster flick, if only we hadn't see it many times before. Image Entertainments A/V Presentation was the best part of the package, offering a superlative high definition experience. There is a lack of extras here, giving us a short "making of" and the films trailer that are in standard definition. If you are a fan of the "sharkie" genre, give it a rental if you are so inclined. I was a bit disappointed and am tiring of the same ol' same ol'...Bring on a Jaws Blu-Ray ASAP Mr. Spielberg!

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-X3 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 200 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sunfire Cinema Ribbon Trio On-Wall (5.1)
Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ Solitaire 10"

Georgeb's Avatar Georgeb 09:01 AM 07-18-2011
Good review, Lee. I may or may not rent this one. Maybe someday when there is nothing else worthwhile. But I'm with you, nothing, and I mean nothing has ever come close to JAWS when it comes to sharkie films.
Dr_jitsu's Avatar Dr_jitsu 10:11 PM 07-18-2011
Hmmm....73% on Rottentomatoes. I suppose it has been done before, however.
DJ Matt's Avatar DJ Matt 12:55 AM 07-19-2011
I will go ahead and put this in my queue I guess. Right now I am trying to find things to watch. Not much has been released lately and I have seen everything new.
shamus's Avatar shamus 01:05 AM 07-20-2011
I liked it.... If you wont go in the water because jaws screwed up your head as a kid, this will reinforce it. How was this directors other movie, black water?
JamE55's Avatar JamE55 09:43 AM 07-20-2011
Ok i'll bite and check this one out!
Blasst's Avatar Blasst 07:36 PM 07-20-2011
Watched this film last night. My wife made it about halfway into the movie and left as she could not handle the tension.

I enjoyed it along with my 3 teenage kids and a couple of friends. The video really looked great shooting on a 116" screen using a Benq 5000.

For those who want info on the story behind the movie here you go. It would have been horrifying to have been in this situation.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/entert...-1226020395592
Blasst's Avatar Blasst 07:49 PM 07-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I liked it.... If you wont go in the water because jaws screwed up your head as a kid, this will reinforce it. How was this directors other movie, black water?

Reinforce it does.

I liked Black Water.....not everyones cup of tea, but something different.
Blasst's Avatar Blasst 08:03 PM 07-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Ok i'll bite and check this one out!

Speaking of "Bite" check this out! That is a 10' great white that got nailed by a monster great white.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...R-monster.html
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...00910415419981

shamus's Avatar shamus 09:02 PM 07-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Reinforce it does.

I liked Black Water.....not everyones cup of tea, but something different.

Thanks Ill give it a shot!
Noibeli's Avatar Noibeli 08:29 AM 07-21-2011
I have watched the movie 2 months ago and I still can remember on it (usually a good sign). The movie is really good. I think the problem is the "movie" itself has been shot more in "documentary" than in "Actioni-Thrilling-Gore" way. If you do expect the second version, don't buy it. For the others, enjoy it!
shamus's Avatar shamus 01:05 PM 07-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noibeli View Post

I have watched the movie 2 months ago and I still can remember on it (usually a good sign). The movie is really good. I think the problem is the "movie" itself has been shot more in "documentary" than in "Actioni-Thrilling-Gore" way. If you do expect the second version, don't buy it. For the others, enjoy it!

That filming is what made it seem so real to me (minus one horrible cgi shot). I will say, that despite its faults, I havnt cringed from a movie in a long long time like I did with this.
MikeCD's Avatar MikeCD 11:35 AM 07-24-2011
Blasst, that is Photoshop and not very convincing either.
JamE55's Avatar JamE55 09:11 AM 07-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Speaking of "Bite" check this out! That is a 10' great white that got nailed by a monster great white.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...R-monster.html
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...00910415419981

Wow!! Talk about an almost real life Jaws.
Blasst's Avatar Blasst 03:44 PM 07-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCD View Post

Blasst, that is Photoshop and not very convincing either.

Those photos were linked to several major newspapers. I included two shots to show different angles.
Jawsfan's Avatar Jawsfan 08:31 PM 07-30-2011
Fully enjoyed this film.

you can guess by name that JAWS is my fav film. While this is No JAWS it is IMO the 2nd best shark film ever made. I actually jumped twice. I never jump watching movies and this film got me twice. Helps to know that this one REALLY IS based on a true event.
Tags: The Reef Blu Ray , Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Up
Mobile  Desktop