Feature running time: 122 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Audrey Tautou, Mathieu Kassovitz, Rufus, Lorella Cravotta, Serge Merlin
Directed by: Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Music by: Yann Tiersen
Written by: Guillaume Laurant & Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 19, 2011

"One person can change your life forever"

Film Synopsis:

At a tiny Parisian café, the adorable yet painfully shy Amélie (Tautou) accidentally discovers a gift for helping others. Soon she is spending her days as a Cupid, guardian angel and all-around do-gooder. But when Amélie bumps into a handsome stranger, will she find the courage to become the star of her very own story?

My Take:

Ameile is one of those films that I always meant to see but simply never got around to. When I saw that it was coming to Blu-ray I requested it for review. This is a wonderfully charming film about a young woman that grew up isolated from other children. After the premature death of her mother, her non-nurturing father's withdraws, which leads Amelie to develop an unusually active imagination to ward away the feelings of loneliness. At the age of twenty-three, she works as a waitress at a small café that is staffed and frequented by a collection of eccentric patrons. Not one for romantic entanglements she finds contentment in simple pleasures and letting her imagination run free. After accidentally discovering the hidden treasure of a little boy that lived in her apartment years ago she decides to locate him and return it to him. She does so anonymously and from a place where she can observe his reaction upon its discovery. Seeing his blissful/emotional reaction motivates Amelie to help others around her who she deems are in need. She becomes a secret matchmaker and guardian angel, executing complex but hidden schemes that impact the lives of those around her with subtle, arm's-length manipulation. During the process Amelie's own life comes under scrutiny and she is forced to examine the elements of her past which leads to the discovery of romance.

I found the storybook style narrative and whimsically derived nature of its elements to be supremely rewarding and just plain lots of fun. Amelie is a simple film that has a directness that tugs at the funny bone as it addresses a few complex social/familial issues. Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet and cinematographer Bruno Delbonnel make careful use of stimulating visuals to help draw us into the thoughts/fantasies of Amelie. Combine that with the marvelous performance of Audrey Tautou in the title role and you have an offbeat and highly rewarding film that makes for pitch perfect entertainment.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Amelie comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 36 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3 Mbps.

Amelie is a beautifully crafted visual experience that appears faithfully rendered in this excellent video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, strong contrast, deeply saturated colors, and lucid three dimensional acuity. Blacks are punchy and appear rich when onscreen with mixed content. Perspective in low lighting and darkened sequences is estimable. The combination gives dark scenes appreciable dimension. The gorgeous cinematography and intriguing use of color is visually engaging as images are dynamic, boldly colorful, clearly drawn, and perfectly suited for the source material. The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range and detail rich clarity that enables the detection of subtle background sounds within the acoustic environment created by the surround mix. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel which clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and tonal balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren't often or intense but the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to appropriately convey the low level bass associated with the film's recorded elements.

** CIH users should note that the subtitles appear within the picture area.**

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with director Jean-Pierre Jeunet

• The look of Amelie - 12 minute featurette

• Fantasies of Audrey Tautou - Outtakes (2 minutes)

• Screen tests - 3 segments

• Q&A with director Jean-Pieerre Jeunet - 24 minutes recorded on January 9/10th 2002

• Q&A with director and cast - 6 minutes

• Storyboard to screen comparisons

• An intimate discussion with Jean-Pierre Jeunet - 21 minutes

• Home movies inside the making of Amelie - 12 minutes

• Theatrical trailer

• The Amelie scrapbook - Behind the scenes, Poster concept art, Storyboards, The garden gnome's travels

Final Thoughts:

Amelie is a wonderfully charming and whimsical comedy that is told via a rewardingly offbeat and imaginative narrative that is made all the better by creative direction, beautiful cinematography and a pitch perfect performance by Audrey Tautou in the lead role. It makes it debut on Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate featuring a gorgeous high definition video transfer, crystal clear lossless sound quality and a decent assortment of bonus material that compliments the film. This is my first experience with Amelie but it won't be my last. Highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
great to hear it's quality!!!!!!!! Amazon should have it on my doorstep this afternoon! It's been a very long wait
post #3 of 36 Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I may have to check that one myself. The wife and I are foreign film fans and like Amelie. Have had the DVD version for years.
post #4 of 36 Old 07-19-2011, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Nice review, it's got me anxious to watch my BD that arrived today.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 36 Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Glad to see this finally released on BD in the US. This is one of my favorite movies!

Some time ago I got tired of waiting so I bought the Australian BD release. It's region free and the movie/menu is in 24/1080p, so I figured I could at least watch the movie if not the 50/540p PAL extras. To my surprise, my Kuro played all the content without issue. The owners manual does not list 50/540p PAL as a supported format, but it is.

The Australian BD release looks and sounds great. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has seen both releases if they look/sound the same or if there are differences. If the US release is even better, I might have to upgrade again!

post #6 of 36 Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yes! Yes! Yes!..I was hoping for a good BR transfer . Now I can sell my old copy 'cause the wait is over. This is one of my favorite movies, as Audrey stole my heart the first time I watched it, and the rest is history. I've seen this movie many, many times and now I'll see it many, many more times on BR.
Thanks for the great review Ralph, I was surprised you hadn't seen it, but I'm glad you reviewed it, and liked it too...this makes my day! .
post #7 of 36 Old 07-20-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Going to have to check this out.
post #8 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 AM

This is my favorite movie of all time. To hear the score by Yann Tiersen is worth watching the movie alone. Everything about this movie is magical.

Mirkwood 4.0 Equipment List

Mirkwood Home Theater
This is my very, very outdated website.
post #9 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Well I wasn't sure about this one but after reading the review, I decided to at least give it a look and have it at home now from Netflix.

Bob

post #10 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Not everyone is a big fan of this film, some downright disliking it. Perhaps for being too whimsically contrived. I am a big fan, however. And yes, there are some real gems on the Yann Tiersen soundtrack. Four or five tracks in particular for me, though I cannot tell you the names.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #11 of 36 Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 AM

Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time.
post #12 of 36 Old 07-22-2011, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Glad to see this finally released on BD in the US. This is one of my favorite movies!

Some time ago I got tired of waiting so I bought the Australian BD release. It's region free and the movie/menu is in 24/1080p, so I figured I could at least watch the movie if not the 50/540p PAL extras. To my surprise, my Kuro played all the content without issue. The owners manual does not list 50/540p PAL as a supported format, but it is.

The Australian BD release looks and sounds great. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has seen both releases if they look/sound the same or if there are differences. If the US release is even better, I might have to upgrade again!

I'm in the same boat, got tired of waiting so bought the region free Australian release. Wondering how it compares to the U.S. release in picture and extras.
This is simply my favorite foreign movie and love the directors work. If you enjoyed this one, his new one MicMacs is very good.
post #13 of 36 Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't checked in a while, but his follow-up film, again with Audrey Tautou, A Very Long Engagement is long overdue for blu-ray treatment.

There was a European blu-ray, but I don't think it has English subtitles available or there was some other issue with it, so it effectively ruled out region 1 and/or English speaking countries.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #14 of 36 Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC View Post

I'm in the same boat, got tired of waiting so bought the region free Australian release. Wondering how it compares to the U.S. release in picture and extras.
This is simply my favorite foreign movie and love the directors work. If you enjoyed this one, his new one MicMacs is very good.

Hopefully someone who has seen both releases will comment.

Thanks for the recommendation. I added it to my Netflix queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I haven't checked in a while, but his follow-up film, again with Audrey Tautou, A Very Long Engagement is long overdue for blu-ray treatment.

There was a European blu-ray, but I don't think it has English subtitles available or there was some other issue with it, so it effectively ruled out region 1 and/or English speaking countries.

I would love to have A Very Long Engagement on BD. Like you said, the EU release is not region free and doesn't include English subtitles as best I can tell.

When I first saw AVLE, I didn't know it was directed by the same director as Amelie. However, during the film I remember commenting how the style was very much like Amelie; a quick check revealed why.

Here's hoping we a great BD release of AVLE in the US.

post #15 of 36 Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I still enjoy Amelie more, but I can sort of understand some of the reviews which argue that AVLE is more "substantial" and a greater accomplishment for Jeunet as filmmaker. It should be stated that while it does share the same director and same lead actor, it's not Amelie - Pt. 2.

post #16 of 36 Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I watched it last night and what a wonderful transfer!!. So much improved from the standard DVD that was even MORE enjoyable, due to the finer details and encompassing soundtrack. So it sits next to IP Man 1&2, in my library, like a sinful treat when the urge hits .
post #17 of 36 Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

I watched it last night and what a wonderful transfer!!. So much improved from the standard DVD that was even MORE enjoyable, due to the finer details and encompassing soundtrack. So it sits next to IP Man 1&2, in my library, like a sinful treat when the urge hits .

Greetings,

Glad to hear it!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 36 Old 07-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I watched this last night (Netflix Blu Ray) and really enjoyed it so thanks Ralph for the nice review--not sure I would have watched it otherwise. In fact, I my even buy a copy for my library.

Bob

post #19 of 36 Old 07-25-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

I watched this last night (Netflix Blu Ray) and really enjoyed it so thanks Ralph for the nice review--not sure I would have watched it otherwise. In fact, I my even buy a copy for my library.

Greetings,

You're more than welcome spiritfox.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 36 Old 07-31-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hopefully someone who has seen both releases will comment........

I rented the US release to compare to my Australian release, but apparently there is an issue with the US release not playing on Pioneer BD players. The US release won't play at all on my Pioneer 320 (the Australian release plays fine). Other owners of Pioneer BD players have also reported the same.

post #21 of 36 Old 07-31-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:

I own both (I will keep the US release) and I made a very small comparison here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/5021066-post149.html

Both discs look very good, but there are some minor differences. The AU is a little brighter, the US has more saturated colors and a slightly finer grain structure. As I said, both discs look very good, but the US has the slightly edge over the AU IMO. The differences are very minor though. The US also doesn't have the image problems in the opening credits, that exist on the AU release (brightened horizontal black bars).
post #22 of 36 Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy969 View Post
I own both (I will keep the US release) and I made a very small comparison here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/5021066-post149.html

Both discs look very good, but there are some minor differences. The AU is a little brighter, the US has more saturated colors and a slightly finer grain structure. As I said, both discs look very good, but the US has the slightly edge over the AU IMO. The differences are very minor though. The US also doesn't have the image problems in the opening credits, that exist on the AU release (brightened horizontal black bars).
Thanks for the comparison. I guess I'll probably just keep my Aussie version, especially since the US release won't play in my Pioneer BD player.

Perhaps down the road if/when Pioneer fixes this issue I may not be able to resist "upgrading" to the US version since this is one of my favorite movies.

post #23 of 36 Old 08-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

the french A Very Long Engagement looks excellent- on par with this Amelie release-

there are no english subtitles- but i was able to buy the disc from amazon and then add subtitles to it with my popcorn hour-
post #24 of 36 Old 08-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:

i have the french and us release and i prefer the french- they are very close to being the same - us is a bit brighter and has a bit more grain/noise
post #25 of 36 Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needlesbox View Post

there are no english subtitles- but i was able to buy the disc from amazon and then add subtitles to it with my popcorn hour-

How in the world...

post #26 of 36 Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needlesbox View Post

the french A Very Long Engagement looks excellent- on par with this Amelie release-

I own the French 'A Very Long Engagement' blu-ray and it has English subtitles.
post #27 of 36 Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Finally saw MicMacs the other day. What a wacky movie! At first I wasn't sure about it, but by the end I quite enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy969 View Post

I own the French 'A Very Long Engagement' blu-ray and it has English subtitles.

So it does have English subtitles? Am I correct that it is not region free?

Edit: I just check Amazon, it's listed as region B and says it includes English subtitles. I don't have a multi-region BD player, so unfortunately I'm out of luck. Here's hoping for a US release!

post #28 of 36 Old 09-07-2011, 04:33 PM

very nice
post #29 of 36 Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for the comparison. I guess I'll probably just keep my Aussie version, especially since the US release won't play in my Pioneer BD player.

Perhaps down the road if/when Pioneer fixes this issue I may not be able to resist "upgrading" to the US version since this is one of my favorite movies.

I've got a pioneer DVD player and most of the bonus features on disc two wouldn't play when I bought the dvd back in '05. They still won't play.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #30 of 36 Old 09-14-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post

I've got a pioneer DVD player and most of the bonus features on disc two wouldn't play when I bought the dvd back in '05. They still won't play.

When I bought the DVD release of Amelie years ago I was using a Toshiba DVD player and had no issues. I don't think I've tried the DVD version on my Pioneer BD player (320) yet. I still have the DVD, so when I get home I'll try out disc 2 and see if I have any issues and report back.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Amelie

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page