Studio and Year: Columbia Pictures - 1991
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 112 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Portuguese/Thai/German/Spanish/Italian Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German, Hindi, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
Starring: Cuba Gooding Jr., Ice Cube, Morris Chestnut, Nia Long, Laurence Fishburne, Angela Bassett, Regina King,
Written & Directed by: John Singleton
Music by: Stanley Clarke
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 19, 2011

"Increase the peace"

Film Synopsis:

Three friends struggle to survive in South Central Los Angeles where friendship, pain, danger, and love form a true picture of life in the 'hood in this critically acclaimed, action-filled story.

My Take:

BOYZ N THE HOOD is the critically acclaimed story of three friends growing up in a South Central Los Angeles neighborhood, and of street life where friendship, pain, danger and love combine to form reality. "The Hood" is a place where drive-by shootings and unemployment are rampant. But it is also a place where harmony coexists with adversity, especially for three young men growing up there: Doughboy (Ice Cube), his brother Ricky (Morris Chestnut), a college-bound teenage father; and Ricky's best friend Tre (Cuba Gooding, Jr.), who aspires to a brighter future beyond "The Hood." In a world where a trip to the store can end in death, the friends have diverse reactions to their bleak surroundings. Tre's resolve is strengthened by a strong father (Laurence Fishburne) who keeps him on the right track. But the lessons Tre learns are put to the ultimate test when tragedy strikes close to home, and violence seems like the only recourse.

This groundbreaking film is a cultural expose that is specific to the black urban experience in South Central Los Angeles. Watching it now it seems just a bit passé but its message as a statement piece remains constant. It has been years since I have seen Boyz n the hood. I recall its original impact and am reminded of how it boldly speaks from the heart in its depiction of the trappings faced by these young men. Listening to writer/director John Singleton talk about the film and how events in his life served as its catalyst are very interesting. Boyz n the hood has lost none of its luster in the twenty years since its release. It is a compelling and gritty drama that pulls few punches and holds a level of significance that is still in effect today.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, violence and sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Boyz n the hood comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.9 mbps.

This high definition presentation delivered fair to good overall image quality that appeared faithful to the film’s original elements. Its high definition video offered an appreciable level of detail during close ups and certain wide angle camera shots. The exterior shots of the South Central locations looked vivid with naturally rendered colors and stable resolution. The majority of the time the visuals didn’t have a high level of image penetration. Sharpness was good but occasionally inconsistent as the image softened at times. The variety of period colors and earth toned hues were reproduced well. Blacks were a little washed out had a bit more punch when onscreen with mixed light/dark elements Grain is preserved naturally and is noticeable throughout. Occasionally it takes on more prominence but I didn’t find it to be problematic. While this presentation lacks the polish of today’s newer films being released on Blu-ray Disc, I think it offers an improvement over any previous home video release and looks fair in high definition.

The lossless audio mix made ample use of the surround platform and sounded quite good. This is a fairly active soundtrack that contains elements that are typical of the genre. Dialogue was perfectly intelligible with good intonation and discernible texture that balanced well with the tracks other recorded sounds. The surround channels and subwoofer saw consistent use and added low level punch and ambient detail that enhanced the film’s thematic delivery. The associated hip hop rhythms and instances of gunfire etc. had fair dynamic impact and clarity. The low frequency effects energized the room on a few occasions and sounded decent. Overall I thought that this mix offered good surround sound envelopment, clearly rendered dialogue and above average dynamics which supported to film’s elements just fine.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with director John Singleton

• (HD) The enduring significance of Boyz n the hood – 28 minute documentary

• Friendly fire: Making of an urban legend – 43 minute documentary

• 2 Deleted scenes

• Music videos – “Growin’ up in the hood” by Compton’s most wanted, “Just ask me to” by Tevin Campbell

• Audition videos – 4 segments with interactive playback

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=218097&d=1311356223

Final Thoughts:

John Singleton’s Boyz n the hood is a groundbreaking cultural expose that speaks to the black urban experience in South Central Los Angeles. It has lost none of its luster in the twenty years since its release and is a compelling and gritty drama that pulls few punches while holding a level of significance that is still in effect today. Fans are sure to appreciate the inclusion of the bonus supplements contained on the 2003 DVD release as well as a new documentary that examines the enduring significance of the film. If you enjoy this classic film this offering from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment makes a worthy addition to your Blu-ray library.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Wow has it been 20 years??? How time passes, glad to see it on Blu ray..I'll give a rental for a revisit

Thanks for the review.

Djoel
Old 07-22-2011, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Excellent movie. Glad to see it's now on Blu.

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
Old 07-22-2011, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ah now this brings back memories glad to see it on blu-ray
Old 07-22-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Nice review, Ralph.

I plan on picking this up at some point around the $10.00 mark. The movie brings back memories of the times for sure and was definitely well done. I'm sure it still holds up well.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Wow! It is so hard to believe that this film is 20 years old. I have always been a fan of this film and watch it on DVD once every 12-18 months. I am sure I'll upgrade to the Blu-Ray if for no other reason than just to have it on that format. Great review Ralph!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:54 PM

Liked: 31
Nice review... I remember seeing this in the theater...wow 20 yrs !

I will pick this up... Any word on The Five Heartbeats ? They just celebrated
25 yrs anniversary and I'd like this on Blu too.

Thanks King P...as always .
Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just picked this up and thought it looked and sounded quite good. Such a classic movie, I also can't believe it's been 20 years.

Excellent review, although this movie was filmed in the Los Angeles area, not Florida (as was stated in the video section of your critique...see below).

Quote:

The exterior shots of Florida and the beach/shore locations looked vivid with naturally rendered colors and stable resolution.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Good review, I hope I am not disappointed with the video quality. I already have my copy. I may get around to watching it this weekend.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yea what a classic movie! Can't wait to grab this one
Old 07-23-2011, 05:39 PM

wow 20 years remember having this on VHS...then DVD now i definitely gonna get it on Blu around a good price of course
Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't believe it's been 20yrs since i've seen this movie. Damn i'm old! LOL!!

But seriously though this is a fantastic film which is very well blended in terms of the story line and characters. There were certain scenes which was very hard to watch at times but that's what makes it so great. Definitely a collect.

Cheers
Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Can't believe it's been 20yrs since i've seen this movie. Damn i'm old! LOL!!

But seriously though this is a fantastic film which is very well blended in terms of the story line and characters. There were certain scenes which was very hard to watch at times but that's what makes it so great. Definitely a collect.

Cheers

Totally agree.

Tags
Boyz N The Hood Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player