Feature running time: 103 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): Dutch/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH
Starring: Martijn Lakemeier, Yorick Van Wageningen, Jamie Campbell Bower, Raymond Thiry, Melody Klaver, Anneke Blok
Directed by: Martin Koolhoven
Written by: Paul Jan Nelissen, Mieke De Jong, Martin Koolhoven based on the novel by Jan Terlouw
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 26, 2011

"In 1945 Holland, a boy must choose between good and evil"

Film Synopsis:

Nazi-occupied Holland, 1945. In a snow-covered village, thirteen-year-old Michiel (Martijn Lakemeier) is drawn into the Resistance when he aids a wounded British paratrooper. Michiel's boyish sense of defiance and adventure soon turns to danger and desperation, as Michiel is forced to act without knowing whom to trust among the adults and townspeople around him. Wartime's harsh reality encroaches on childhood innocence as Michiel confronts good and evil, courage and duplicity, and his own burden of responsibility. Based on the bestselling novel by Jan Terlouw.

My Take:

Winter in wartime is based on the 1972 novel by Jan Terlouw and is a character driven, coming of age story, set against WWII in German occupied Netherlands. Michiel is young, impressionable and desirous of becoming involved in the underground resistance against the Germans. His father is the mayor of their village and works carefully at maintaining a rapport with the higher ups in the German military which allows him to keep not only his family safe but those close to them as well. Michiel doesn't see it that way and resents the fraternization. He looks up to his Uncle Ben, a member of the underground, who comes to visit from time to time. When the opportunity presents itself Michiel secretly opts to help friends who are taking part in a local operation to aid the resistance. Things don't quite go as planned which leads to his discovery of a secret that they were protecting, a wounded British paratrooper named Jack. Acting with an audaciousness that belies his age Michiel agrees to help Jack escape. With no real experience or assistance Michiel soon realizes that he will need to count on others. Should he turn to his father? His uncle Ben? His older sister? The question soon becomes can anyone be trusted? Inevitably he gives in to need and discovers that during times of war things aren't always what they seem.

This is a well crafted wartime melodrama that is based upon a coming of age/loss of innocence style narrative that includes elements of light suspense and adventure. Character development is strong which is essential to the unfolding nature of the storys elements. What starts out as a kind of playful us against them feeling of adventure evolves into something darker where the consequences are very real. Michiel learns a difficult and painful lesson that unfortunately comes at a price that is a direct result of the harsh times he lives in. Winter in wartime is a compelling and fairly evocative film that features strong performances from its well placed cast and apt direction from Martin Koolhoven who has a strong grasp and clear vision of the subject material. It isn't wholly original from a conceptual standpoint but if you enjoy this type of film it strikes the right chords.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some language, thematic material and violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Winter in wartime comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.8 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition video presentation that offers impressive transparent imagery. The color palette is deliberately subdued and held to primary use of black, grays, whites, browns and blues that give it a cooler emphasis. This is a solid, high bitrate encoding that delivers superlative image resolution. Close ups reveal high level detail that allows the pores, stubble, peach fuzzy hair and subtle variations in the complexions of the cast to be perceivable. The texture on the surfaces of objects is just as defining which gives them visibly apparent structure and tangible quality. Black levels and contrast are stable and visible detail within dark backgrounds and shadows is strong. The video has a pristine quality that appears devoid of video related anomalies and distracting artifacts.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio is primarily driven by dialogue and delivers sparkling clarity and enriching detail. Dialogue is impressive in its tonal distinction and transparency. Imaging and sound effects reproduction are first rate as the sound field in the front of the room bristles with sonic detail. The surrounds are mainly utilized for spatial atmospheric presence however discernible discrete audio cues are effectively mixed in where appropriate. Low frequency detail comes in the form of bass which supports sound effects that require low level resonance or tactile impact. Dynamic range is excellent which provides good solidity and weight to the audio in general. I felt that the mix highlighted the strengths of the source material and sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• The making of Winter in wartime - 24 minute featurette

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• BD-Live enabled

• Bonus DVD of Winter in wartime
attachment.php?attachmentid=218304&d=1311527577

Final Thoughts:

Based on the 1972 novel by Jan Terlouw Winter in wartime is a character driven, coming of age melodrama, set against WWII in German occupied Netherlands. I found it to be compelling, fairly evocative and enjoyed the strong performances from its well placed cast and apt direction from Martin Koolhoven. It makes its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video quality and sparkling lossless sound. Unfortunately it is rather light in the bonus material department however if you enjoyed the film the making of feature is worthwhile. Winter in wartime doesn't break any new conceptual ground but if you are a fan of this type of film it definitely strikes the right chords and is well worth checking out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks for the review! I had forgotten about this one, but will give it a shot now.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I will have a look at this Ralph. Thanks.

Frank

post #4 of 9 Old 07-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the first i have heard of this film, thanks for the review i will be going out to purchase it today.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Stunning cinematography, top quality PQ and AQ and a compelling story. Pretty much everything that Hollywood is incapable of delivering.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Stunning cinematography, top quality PQ and AQ and a compelling story. Pretty much everything that Hollywood is incapable of delivering.

That's good. I've added this to my cart.

Frank

post #7 of 9 Old 07-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
My Grandfather is Danish and speaks of the War, so this may be interesting to watch simply to gain another viewpoint and connection to a terrifying time in history. Thanks Ralph!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

+1000000000000!!!!!!!

Just finished this tonight and could not agree more. My wife was heading to bed and sat down to fold laundry for a minute... roll end credits. Fantastic movie with exceptionally convincing performances all the way around and gorgeous cinematography to boot. The audio track was not overly dynamic but the score was brilliant. I'm really surprised there has been such little discussion on this but very highly recommended.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #9 of 9 Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

+1000000000000!!!!!!!

Just finished this tonight and could not agree more. My wife was heading to bed and sat down to fold laundry for a minute... roll end credits. Fantastic movie with exceptionally convincing performances all the way around and gorgeous cinematography to boot. The audio track was not overly dynamic but the score was brilliant. I'm really surprised there has been such little discussion on this but very highly recommended.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it GK. Thanks for sharing your thoughts..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Winter In Wartime Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Winter by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page