Starring: Topher Grace, Anna Faris, Teresa Palmer, Dan Fogler
Directed by: Michael Dowse
Music by: Trevor Horn
Written by: Jackie Filgo & Jeff Filgo
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 19, 2011

"Best. Night. Ever."

Film Synopsis:

A talented ensemble cast delivers laugh-out-loud performances in this "fun nostalgia trip" (Richard Roeper). When Matt Franklin's (Topher Grace) high-school crush Tori (Teresa Palmer) shows up at his dead-end mall job, he and his buddy Barry (Dan Fogler) devise a wild scheme for Matt to finally win the girl of his dreams. But only time will tell if Matt can seduce this gorgeous goddess at a wild party and survive an outrageous night of seduction, destruction and debauchery.

My Take:

Take me home tonight is pretty much what the plot synopsis implies. Set in 1988, it is a light hearted buddy flick with a period specific theme that gives it a throwback feeling of nostalgia. The script does a decent job of capturing the awkwardness that young twenty something relationships can be while adding a slightly over the top veil of raucous comedy for flavor. I thoroughly appreciated the 80's references but couldn't help but notice the oft used formula. I have seen better implementations but really didn't mind. This isn't laugh out loud comedy but it's charming and the characters are quite likeable. The narrative's focus ebbs and flows which is problematic especially given the 97 minute runtime. The romance and drama is kept simple and light which probably works best in a film like this. I wasn't entirely sure that 33 year old Topher Grace and 34 year old Anna Faris would be credible playing characters that are 12 plus years their junior but they pulled it off well enough. This is the fourth film I have seen Teresa Palmer in and find that her allure extends beyond her obvious good looks. I hope to see more of her in the future. When all was said and done it would be fair to say that I enjoyed Take me home tonight. The problem is that it doesn't leave a lasting impression afterward.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, sexual content and drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Take me home tonight comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 37 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2 Mbps.

This is a high bitrate encoding from Fox that looks great in high definition. The video isn't razor sharp but has a noticeably film like quality that is visually pleasing. Detail rendering, especially during close ups, is discerning which brings forth plenty of nuance within the images onscreen. Colors are rich and delineated with deeply saturated primaries that pop nicely. The extensive palette of secondary hues that represent the period colors featured in the story, appear vivid and warm. Flesh tones appear natural with varying degrees of complexional separation among the members of the cast. Stable contrast and consistent black levels provide excellent balance during bright and dark scenes. A light veneer of grain rounds out this cleanly rendered high definition video presentation.

The lossless soundtrack doesn't consistently engage the entire surround platform however it has moments where it energizes the room and reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialogue has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is very good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. A large portion of the film has little need for this as dialogue, atmospheric ambience and musical enhancement is conveyed with little fanfare. This soundtrack isn't demonstration worthy but readily delivers a satisfying listening experience that didn't leave me disappointed.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) 7 deleted scenes

• (HD) Cast get together - 8 minutes

• (HD) Music Boom Box - Interactive feature that allows selection of the classic 80's music featured in the movie along with a brief background on each tune:

1. Video killed the radio star
    2. Hungry like the wolf
    3. Situation
    4. Kickstart my heart
    5. Straight outta Compton
    6. Bette Davis eyes
    7. Safety dance
    8. Come on Eileen
    9. Everybody have fun tonight
    10. Let me love open the door
    11. Live if life
    12. Don't you want me

• (HD) Take me home tonight music video

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• (HD) 2 TV Spots

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

Final Thoughts:

Take me home tonight is a mildly charming comedy with a formulaic 80's theme that feels decidedly old hat. I appreciated its nostalgic essence and likeable characters but neither can overcome its forgettable script which fails to standout among the better offerings in its genre. Its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Fox features rewarding high definition video and crystal clear DTS-HD Master Audio sound that compliment the source material. The middling array of special features doesn't offer much but Fox has included a digital copy for fans who want to take the film on the go. If you enjoy throwback style comedies this is worth a rental.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not a lot of people might find this film great but i personally do because i think the 80's was one of the best years.

When i first saw this movie i became somewhat nostalgic. The high school years, etc. I mean c'mon! Then half way through the movie you see Angie Everhart and didn't realize Michelle Trachtenberg was also in this movie. Great 80's music as well.

If you're looking for an old school comedy movie this is one of them. Another one is the Hot Tub Time Machine.

Cheers
post #3 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Anna Faris makes it worth a rental for me.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Not a lot of people might find this film great but i personally do because i think the 80's was one of the best years.

When i first saw this movie i became somewhat nostalgic. The high school years, etc. I mean c'mon! Then half way through the movie you see Angie Everhart and didn't realize Michelle Trachtenberg was also in this movie. Great 80's music as well.

If you're looking for an old school comedy movie this is one of them. Another one is the Hot Tub Time Machine.

Cheers

Hot tub time machine was a comedy?
post #5 of 8 Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post

Yes sir.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post

It tried to be, but failed.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 AM

Liked: 11
I watched this film this week and noticed that the BD does not support bookmarks and it doesn't support resuming playback. Most films these days that do not support bookmarks at least support resume playback within the film where you get that message saying the film has been watched before and do you want to resume.

It was annoying to have to flip through chapters each time.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I was SO close to turning this movie off after the first half hour. I thought the movie was all over the place with regard to the 80's setting. I grew up in the 80s, and I remember it very well. This movie felt more like watching young people from 2011 at an 80's themed party more than it did a movie set in the 80s. The music choices made no sense whatsoever. Anyone who grew up in the 80s will tell you that the first part of the decade was distinctly different from the latter part. Songs from the early 80s like "Come on Eileen" were great, but we really weren't listening to early 80s music in the later part of the decade. It just didn't feel well thought out to me and it was all over the place in terms of the language and style.

That being said, the movie really picked up after the half way point and I found myself enjoying the ride quite a bit. I probably wouldn't give it quite 3 stars, but definitely 2 or 2.5. Some of the more subtle humor in the film was great, such as the line Matt's father (played by Michael Biehn) has when he says, "of course we can do that...we're LAPD!"
Most of it was really unrealistic and more quasi-80s than authentic 80s, but it's not really a movie to be taken seriously anyway...so given that fact, I can say i enjoyed it
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Take Me Home Tonight Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page