Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 85
attachment.php?attachmentid=218408&d=1311704774
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109939&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Universal - 1985
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 132 minutes
Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Sci-Fi

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD MA 5.1, French DTS 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jonathan Pryce, Robert DeNiro, Michael Palin, Kim Greist
Directed by: Terry Gilliam
Music by: Michael Kamen
Written by: Terry Gilliam, Tom Stoppard ,Charles McKeown
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 12, 2011

"It's only a state of mind."

Film Synopsis:

A bureaucrat in a retro-future world tries to correct an administrative error and himself becomes an enemy of the state.

My Take:

'Brazil' is the story of Sam Lowry (Jonathan Pryce), a jaded dreamer who works for 'big brother', aka The Ministry of Information or the MOI. Even though he has a better understanding of the system, its technology as well as paperwork, he is content, refusing opportunities to advance. That is until he meets, well sees, the woman of his dreams, Jill Layton (Kim Greist) while trying to rectify a wrongful arrest. He only then accepts the chance to advance in the MOI, just to find out more about her. The arrest was of a Harry Buttle, but the MOI was supposed to be getting Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle, played to perfection by Robert DeNiro. Meanwhile, the bureaucracy has fingered him responsible for a rash of terrorist bombings, due to his funny love-struck behavior his life is then put into a tailspin..

It seems to by my year of the "Gilliam". Having written up Time Bandits as well as The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, I also watched 12 Monkeys and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. I find his films stylistically more engaging as his plots tend to meander, waxing philosophically, yet never grabbing me by the throat. 'Brazil' is his ode to Orwell's 1984, as Gilliam's film creates the filmic archetype for sci/fi dystopia.

Never really loving any of his films, they have always left me a little empty, which is the compete opposite of his eye for detail. Looking at his films, it is obvious the man is a true auteur. I feel the films he directed but didn't write (Twelve Monkeys, The Fisher King) have a better structure as far a story-telling. 'Brazil' is considered his masterpiece, on the top of many lists as well as having a strong cult status. There are 3 versions of the film, Universal Studios 98 min cut, which had Gilliam up in arms, his 142 min director's cut (which criterion released on DVD) and this 132 min cut, the "compromise" between his vision and Universals attempt at making the film a bit more accessible to audiences. The 132 minute cut is what we get here and I agree with Universal...it needs a bit of editing.

Gilliam plays with themes that were relevant in 1985, but seem even more so today--terrorism, vanity, individual thought in a world controlled by bureaucracy. Everything said here is still fresh, but like I have said about Gilliam's films before, a lot of style over substance. I almost feel like his films are weird just to be weird. 'Brazil' certainly is a bizarre flick, with a retro yet futuristic world...you just have to see it to fully understand. Thankfully this is his film with the most substance, really trying to warn us of the dangers of excess as well as the dangers of technology and a society of government control...but only those who look deeper will find more in the tale, the rest will just see the weirdness scattered everywhere. As a stand alone story it's a bit unbalanced, swinging from interesting to baffling and from smart to absurd. This is a second only to Time Bandits and I think any fan of film need give it a spin. Its just not as great as the praise its often given leads us to believe.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for some strong violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 76

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Video: 80

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=121037369
'Brazil' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29.2 mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 Sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 mbps.

Universal delivers a decent a catalog release with 'Brazil' which, of course, will be scrutinized by Gilliam and Criterion lovers as 'Brazil' has been released by the latter on DVD. Always having a dreamy-like gloss to its look, 'Brazil' certainly was colorful here, with flesh-tones that varied from pink to pale. Fine details were convincing on close-up shots, though softer looking on longer shots. Blacks go from inky with nice shadow detail to a slight crush, though holding up quite well most of the time. Grain does fluctuate from shot to shot, never looking like video-noise and being more frequent on frames that are effect heavy. The DTS-HD audio track was somewhat of a disappointment. Mainly in its volume levels between dialogue and the often much louder (though sounding quite nice) score by Michael Kamen. This was a front sound-stage affair, mainly focused on the center channel with a boxy-like quality to it. I just kept waning it to open-up and match the films great video design. There were glimmers of hope with a few moments where the effect channels do add to the experience and a few explosions do take use of the LFE channel. Be warned that comfortable listening level for dialogue will come with some moments to make you want to lower the volume when the score kicks in. I had the remote in hand way too often here.

Bonus Features:

• BD Live enabled

• D-Box

• Pocket Blu App

Final Thoughts:

'Brazil' is a striking film to look at, with writer/director Terry Gilliams exquisitely insane style on full display here. Unfortunately the the film is a bit unbalanced, swinging from interesting to baffling and from smart to absurd. Universals transfer is the best we have seen 'Brazil', but the source could use a good scrubbing. I can only recommend a rental, especially considering this release has absolutely no extra features.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-X3 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 200 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sunfire Cinema Ribbon Trio On-Wall (5.1)
Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ Solitaire 10"
[/b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Greetings,

Thanks Lee..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #3 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 03:58 PM

Liked: 10
This is one crazy movie. lol.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Interesting as I've watched this last night. Transfer looked pretty good to me, which is amazing coming from Universal.

I liked the movie. It was something different and refreshing in the sci-fi realm. Glad to have this; look forward to watching it again so I can make some more connections.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 06:34 PM

I saw "Brazil" at the theater when it first came out, and, to be honest, didn't like it that much. I don't remember if I saw it again after that as a rental or what, but I do know that each viewing gave me a better understanding of the dark humor, symbolism and parody that is in this film. It began to make so much of an impression on me that I eventually bought it on DVD, and then bought it again when Criterion released it. So when it was just put out on Blu-ray, I hit the "purchase" button again, eagerly and happily.

Just as beer seems to be an acquired taste that can become addictive, "Brazil" has become a movie that I love to watch. I love the entire look of it, its faux-modern machines, the ducts, the forties look in a magnifying glass computer world where nothing works the way it's intended to, as well as being able to catch new "inside jokes" that I never noticed on previous viewings. There's actually a lot of humor in the movie, but in a dark, repressive setting.

I didn't expect the Blu-ray to be outrageously wonderful as far as video or audio quality, and it pretty much turned out as I had thought. It's definitely an improvement over past DVD versions, and worth the purchase. But if you've never seen the movie, be aware that it is intentionally strange, outrageous and somewhat demented. But there is so much underneath the surface, that if you can keep an open mind and give it repeat viewings, you'll end up wanting to revisit Sam and his odd world again and again.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
One valid complaint about this release is the lack of the extended cut which had several extended scenes and a better ending. This is clearly a minimum-budget release.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
One valid complaint about this release is the lack of the extended cut which had several extended scenes and a better ending. This is clearly a minimum-budget release.
Has universal ever released the directors cut or was that just Criterion?
post #8 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 162
This film requires more than one viewing to fully appreciate. Also, the directors cut is THE version preferred by Gilliam. It is the version closest to his original intentions before the studio butchered it.

Three stars is not enough.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post
Has universal ever released the directors cut or was that just Criterion?
Just Criterion. The 3 disk Criterion version contains ALL the released cuts. Hopefully they will release a Blu-ray edition.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The commentary-track is wonderful. If it comes on the DC, listen to it! I think Brazil is one of the Top Ten Sci-fi-movies.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
"Brazil" is among the greatest movies ever made. I hope Criterion does release this on blu. Their laserdisc set of this movie was the greatest laserdisc release ever, and their DVD set was also worthy.

It's a truly amazing movie, and even though I bought this Universal release, I will be very eager for Criterion to release it properly. This movie also is a most interesting case-study in studios versus directors.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Chalk me up as another big fan of the movie. Second and subsequent viewings really did it for me. My first experience with it, at 19 years old in 1987, had me liking it because it was "weird". Seeing it again allowed me to appreciate it more and more each time. As Spellchecker stated - it's an acquired taste.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Having only seen the trailers i can't really say much but i will say that this movie feels and looks weird. Like what Lee said it's swinging from interesting to baffling and from smart to absurd which i guess is one of the films intention?

In any case i've seen Twelve Monkeys a few times and IMO that's Terry's best film yet.

Cheers
post #14 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

"Brazil" is among the greatest movies ever made. I hope Criterion does release this on blu.

I totally agree with you , one of the most important films made (ever) for so many reasons.

I think you need to appreciate the fact that many of the tropes and conventions that are regularly aped and repeated in contemporary films today ( almost to the point of banality) were first explored in Brazil.

The cover sucks on this BD by the way. I really do not understand why some of the more recent releases of classic films have the most naff covers available. This is an actual release poster for Brazil but its god-awful in so many ways (it doesn't look like anyone in the film let alone Johnathan Pryce).

Here's a hint. For a classic film USE THE ORIGINAL UNMOLESTED RELEASE POSTER ART! Why is this so hard for studios to get?

http://www.amazon.com/Brazil-inches-...ref=pd_sbs_k_4

digital film janitor
post #15 of 15 Old 08-02-2011, 07:26 PM

I dont remember details of this movie. All i remember is watching this on DVD about 10 years ago, and how bad it was.

Be prepared to waste 2 hours of your life.

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Toshiba HD-XA2, Toshiba HD-A35
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Brazil Blu Ray , Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page