Starring: Seth Green, Dan Fogler, Elisabeth Harnois, Mindy Sterling, Joan Cusak
Directed by: Simon Wells
Music by: John Powell
Written by: Simon Wells & Wendy Wells based on the book by Berkeley Breathed
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 9, 2011

"Mom needs a little space"

Film Synopsis:

Take out the trash, eat your broccoli -- who needs moms, anyway? Nine-year-old Milo (Seth Green) finds out how much he needs his mom (Joan Cusack) when she's nabbed by Martians who plan to steal her mom-ness for their own young. In a race against time and oxygen, his quest to save her knows no bounds. And with some unexpected help, Milo just might find his way back to her -- in more ways than one.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=219060&d=1312391486

Mars needs moms is based on the book by Berkeley Breathed and tells the story of colony of Martians that routinely kidnap earth's best moms in order to steal their motherly talents for insertion in robotic nanny's that raise their young. Milo is a typical nine year old, he hates chores, eating his vegetables, and takes his mom for granted. That is, until a Martian spaceship abducts her in the middle of the night. Milo gives chase, stows away onboard their ship and finds himself on a strange planet with no idea how to save his mom. Milo is discovered by his mom's captors and but manages to escape with help from Gribble, a new found friend. Together Gribble and Milo devise a plan of rescue for Milo's mom. Unfortunately things don't go as planned and they find themselves in deep trouble. With a little luck, the discovery of a Martian past long since forgotten, and the help of an unlikely ally they stand a fighting chance but in the end the deciding factor may come down to the bond of love between a boy and his mother

This is a moderately entertaining animated movie that features a quaint story that is imbued with bizarre allegory surrounding gender roles/familial status. I found that to be a little out of the ordinary but the remaining elements were fine. The action is jaunty and character development is minimal but by the time things wrap up there is enough of an established connection to give meaning to the outcome. The use of motion capture animation imparts a distinctive and sometimes sterile look to the characters which has advantages and limitations depending on your point of view. For me it is hit or miss, which is the case here as well although the CGI world of Mars looks amazing. Shortcomings notwithstanding I found Mars needs moms to be enjoyable enough. It doesn't leave a lasting impression but hits the target for families looking for animated entertainment on movie night.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sci-fi action and peril.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

3D Presentation: 88

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=219059&d=1312391486

Mars needs moms 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 6 Mbps.

So far I have been satisfied with what I have seen of the 3D formatted high definition Blu-ray releases that have come my way and I would say that this is true of Mars needs moms as well. This is a sparkling 3D presentation that features few examples of screen popping effects and jump inducing gimmicks. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Dimension onscreen is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects and characters layered in the foreground/background creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. Fidelity is intact as the film's gorgeous color, rich contrast and inky blacks are beautifully rendered and natural. Comparing this to the 2D version in terms of the rendering of detail, color reproduction and contrast I found them to be very similar. Ghosting/crosstalk is visible here and there but isn't a problem.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack offers high level detail and an active/involving soundfield that engages with room filling surround sound. The soundstage across the front three channels has broad, clear perspective with enriching directionality and crisp, lucid dialogue that maintains prominent focus. The mix makes excellent use of the rear channels to simulate off camera cues and panning effects within the diffused acoustic environment which seamlessly integrates with the front channels. Dynamic range is excellent as low frequency effects provide bass response with enriching tactile emphasis that capably underscores active moments and supports John Powell's music score. The sequence where Milo stands beside the Martian ship (just after the abduction of his mom) as it beings to lift off rattled the timbers in my theater room. This is a high quality audio presentation that compliments the film while making for an invigorating surround sound experience.

Mars needs moms: 2D Video Quality:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Mars needs moms comes to Blu-ray from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps

This is a reference quality video presentation that boasts visually enticing imagery that looks great in high definition. It was shot utilizing motion-capture animation and the beautifully rendered results exhibit eye catching resolution and refined clarity. The shading and lighting used results in a dimensionally strong presentation that doesn't suffer from overcooked contrast or crushed detail. The majority of the film adheres to a limited and softer palette of colors that mate with the source in a visually satisfying way. Splashes of deep primary colors and golden highlights stand out against the sepia tones, beiges and various stages of gray. Blacks appear punchy and dynamic especially when onscreen with mixed content. Detail in shady areas and in backgrounds illuminated by failing light is excellent which enhances visual perspective and dimension. This is a pristine and visually engaging high definition presentation that looked amazing on my large screen.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Mars needs moms 3D Blu-ray

• (HD) Alternate scene - Mom napping (in finished 3D)

• Disc 2:

• Mars needs moms 2D Blu-ray

• Life on Mars: Full motion capture experience - Go behind the scenes in this feature-length, picture-in-picture viewing mode which includes optional audio commentary by director Simon Wells and actors Seth Green and Dan Fogler as they give a fun and insightful look into creating the movie.

• (HD) Fun with Seth - 2 minutes of on set antics featuring Seth Green

• (HD) Martian 101 - 3 minute look behind the scenes at the creation of the alien dialogue used in the film

• HD) 7 deleted scenes with director introduction

• Disc 3:

• DVD - Mars needs moms

• Disc 4:

• Digital Copy of Mars needs moms
attachment.php?attachmentid=219058&d=1312391486

Final Thoughts:

Mars needs moms is a moderately entertaining animated film that is based on the book of the same name by Berkeley Breathed. The script lacks focus/depth and the motion capture animation leaves something to be desired but my overall take by the end of the film was positive. This four disc Blu-ray package from Disney includes the feature film in high definition in both 3D and 2D flavors with each offering resplendent video quality and involving DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. The supplemental features are above average and include Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray exclusive content along with additional discs containing the standard definition DVD of the film and a Digital copy. If you are already a fan this is a worthwhile purchase otherwise it qualifies as a decent rental on family video night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
JVC PK-AG1 3D Glasses
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wow 96 on the video PQ that's awesome I might just watch it to see that.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

HHHmmmm.... thinking, thinking...
post #4 of 21 Old 08-03-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Interesting, thanks for the review!

post #5 of 21 Old 08-03-2011, 06:28 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Thank you Ralph, Im loooking forward in seeing this my copy should arrive next Friday. From the trailer it looks quite good.

Frank

post #6 of 21 Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Who cares about the movie itself.
88 for 3D...good enough for me.
I'm in.
Thank you!

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune:

post #7 of 21 Old 08-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho View Post

Who cares about the movie itself.
88 for 3D...good enough for me.
I'm in.
Thank you!

Word
post #8 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
WIth so little 3D material, I may have to bite on a mediocre film.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

I'm tryna print this $5 coupon off disney rewards for this movie but it keeps telling me to install the coupon printer even after I have installed it numerous times. Anyone else having this problem??
post #10 of 21 Old 08-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

I'm tryna print this $5 coupon off disney rewards for this movie but it keeps telling me to install the coupon printer even after I have installed it numerous times. Anyone else having this problem??

No, I didn't have any problem. Of course I've had the printing software installed for quite awhile. Do you have the minimum requirements for the software? If so, you may have to tgry and contact Disney Movie Rewards.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCurtis View Post

No, I didn't have any problem. Of course I've had the printing software installed for quite awhile. Do you have the minimum requirements for the software? If so, you may have to tgry and contact Disney Movie Rewards.

Thanks, I did send them a msg. I was able to install and print some coupons a couple months ago with no problem but for whatever reason keeps prompting me to install the coupon printer repeatedly. O well, I'll keep trying
post #12 of 21 Old 08-11-2011, 06:10 PM
CIH USER

Thanks for the review Ralph will be watching this tonight (2D).

Frank

post #13 of 21 Old 08-13-2011, 08:15 AM
CIH USER

This film was fantastic, family loved it. Pq and Aq top notch but the story itself was really nice. Another great blind buy.

Frank

post #14 of 21 Old 08-13-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

This film was fantastic, family loved it. Pq and Aq top notch but the story itself was really nice. Another great blind buy.

Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed it Frank.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #15 of 21 Old 08-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Yea I actually thought it was quite better than the reviews. Good lil message to all these bad ass kids our here
post #16 of 21 Old 08-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

*out
post #17 of 21 Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

Yea I actually thought it was quite better than the reviews. Good lil message to all these bad ass kids our here

My kids got the message

Frank

post #18 of 21 Old 09-09-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

My family enjoyed this as well - even my thirteen year old daughter.

Ralph was right, the rocket scene was a lot of fun. The song at the end of the credit was fun too, mixing the drums through the surrounds.

post #19 of 21 Old 09-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Liked: 11
Noticed that the motion cap PiP feature could be enlarged to full widescreen. Way to go!!

I wish Disney had done this to the Beauty and the Beast BD awhile back, instead of having it only available shown in the corner.

Did miss not seeing a developmental art gallery for this flick though! I love that kind of stuff.
post #20 of 21 Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Interesting this is! cool.gif
post #21 of 21 Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Interesting this is! cool.gif

I liked it, I thought it was quite good.

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page