Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2011
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 96 minutes
Genre: Family/Animation

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Anne Hathaway, Jessie Eisenberg, George Lopez, Jamie Foxx, Leslie Mann, Rodrigo Santoro, Will i Am, Tracy Morgan, Jemaine Clement
Directed by: Carlos Saldanha
Music by: John Powell
Written by: Don Rhymer, Joshua Sternin, Jeffrey Ventimila, Sam Harper
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 2, 2011

"He's going to the wildest, most magical place on earth ... home"

Film Synopsis:

Blu (Jesse Eisenberg) is a rare domesticated macaw who believes he's the last of his kind. But when his owner learns about Jewel (Hathaway), Blu's female counterpart in Rio de Janeiro, they set out on the adventure of a lifetime. Even though he's never learned to fly, Blu befriends a group of wise-cracking, smooth-talking city birds who help him find the courage to spread his wings and follow his destiny.

My Take:

Stolen from the wild by smugglers as a young bird, Blu, a rare Spix Macaw, is thousands of miles away from his homeland of Brazil, living happily in Moose Lake Minnesota as a domesticated companion. When his owner Linda discovers that he is the last male of his kind, they head south to Rio de Janeiro to meet the only other female. But it's far from love at first sight between the socially-awkward, flight-challenged Blu and the fiercely independent, high-flying female Spix Macaw, Jewel. Shortly after Blu's arrival, the two rare birds are captured by greedy animal smugglers and find themselves lost in the Brazilian rainforest. Unexpectedly thrown together, they embark on a hilarious and clumsy adventure where they learn about friendship, love, courage and spreading one's wings to fly.

Rio is exactly what you might expect in that its story about being taken out of one's element, adjusting to life on the outside and suddenly being thrust back (give or take) sounds all too familiar. That's okay because the enjoyment found in films like this isn't contained in the formula but in the execution. In other words, likeable characters, a charming story, and visually engaging imagery that draws the audience in. In this case all three are represented and make for a rewarding animated film that proves lots of fun for kids and parents alike. The predictable elements are enriched by well crafted/witty dialogue, entertaining musical set pieces featuring Samba style rhythms, and a cache of secondary characters that prove to be more than window dressing. The mix of light drama, mild suspense, and breezy adventure appropriately coincide with the film's thematic tone as its heartwarming aspects provide the motivation for us to root for Blu. I tend to enjoy feel good movies like this and Rio, paint by the numbers or not, had me right from the start. The animation is top notch and the actors that lend their vocal talents to the film bring the characters to life with spirit and enthusiasm. Rio is fairly typical but makes for a charming and delightfully fun animated film that can be enjoyed by the whole family.

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for all audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Rio comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This is a pristine and reference quality high definition presentation from Fox. The video quality is superlative in its depiction of the film's animated subjects. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably dimensional. Fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture are clearly discernible. Colors are richly saturated, vibrant and beautifully rendered. The switch of the relaxed color scheme of Moose Lake to the lush, warm and gradationally satisfying Rio, Brazil makes for a stimulating visual contrast. Primary colors are particularly vivid and exhibit visibly delineated stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Contrast is spot on, blacks are rich with deep highlights and grays exhibit multi-layered stages that enhance dimension.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack makes for a great home theater experience. This is a fairly active sound design that truly benefits from the higher resolution that lossless audio offers. Dialogue is crystalline with appreciable tonal inflection and non sibilant vocal character. Dynamics are top notch as the elements contained within the soundtrack have definitive energy and potent impact. The music plays an integral role in this presentation and the entire surround platform is used to present the marvelous musical set pieces. The auditory is rich in clarity and detail which allows the subtle environmental sounds in the recording to easily be heard as the mix creates a stable and immersive surround sound experience that achieves excellent balance. Low frequency detail is authoritative and tight as it engages the room with palpable bass that augments the track's recorded elements. This isn't an aggressive surround sound mix but it is an articulate one that is lots of fun and sounds great.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Deleted scene

• Explore the world of Rio - Interactive tour/feature

• (HD) Saving the species: One voice at a time - 24 minute featurette on the voice cast

• (HD) The making of Hot Wings - 8 minute featurette with Jamie Foxx and Will i Am

• (HD) Boom-Boom Tish-Tish: The sounds of Rio - 13 minute featurette on the film's music

• (HD) The real Rio - 9 minute featurette on Rio, Brazil

• Carnival Dance-O-Rama

• (HD) Welcome to Rio music video - Featuring vocals by Jessie Eisenberg and Anne Hathaway

• (HD) Telling the world music video by Taio Cruz

• (HD) Rio de JAM-eiro Jukebox

• Postcards from Rio - Make your own!

• (HD) Angry Birds Rio (3 segments) - Trailer, Nigel Mash up, and Instructional/Clue video

• BD-Live: Live Extras

• Pocket BLU - with Wi-Fi download option (Apple products)

• Bonus DVD of Rio

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

Final Thoughts:

Rio comes from the creative minds behind Ice age and is a spirited and well crafted animated film that may not break new ground but still makes for delightfully fun family entertainment. Its presentation on Blu-ray Disc doesn't disappoint and features reference quality video and superb lossless surround sound. The bonus supplements include a bonus DVD and Digital Copy of the film plus a host of fan friendly extras, including cast/crew interviews, interactive features, a special offer for Angry Birds enthusiasts. This strong offering from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment is worthy of your buying dollars so if you're inclined feel free to purchase with confidence.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-04-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I've received several emails from Amazon about my pre ordered on this movie, something about being delayed? Skimmed through it, as I know Amazon is great at delivering my stuff no matter what's the case.

Anyway great to hear to you like it, as it's a blind buy for me and wasn't really expecting much of plot, story, but rather lots of eye candy.

Thanks for the great review as always.

DJoel
post #3 of 36 Old 08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Thanks, Ralph. Looks like you enjoyed the film. I'm currently in the process of resisting a blind buy or this one, but I'll fail. I always do.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #4 of 36 Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great review and two reasons for me to buy it. Haven't seen this movie and from watching the trailer the characters and settings looks pretty colorful so that should definitely pop out.
post #5 of 36 Old 08-04-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi all,

I was on the 3D forum and there was some talk that Best Buy had a 3D exclusive version on sale. I am in Australia so this is not such an issue as we don't have a BB over here but does anyone know if a 3D version will be released at some point? If so, may be best to wait.
Thanks
Greg

Follow my thread here
post #6 of 36 Old 08-04-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

Hi all,

I was on the 3D forum and there was some talk that Best Buy had a 3D exclusive version on sale. I am in Australia so this is not such an issue as we don't have a BB over here but does anyone know if a 3D version will be released at some point? If so, may be best to wait.
Thanks
Greg

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Blu-ray-3D...2513028&sr=1-1
post #7 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks very much. Appreciate it! Preordered!

Follow my thread here
post #8 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Will be watching this one tonight. Were all looking forward to it.

Frank
post #9 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Although a bit hesitant, I bought the 3D version at BB. Will watch over the weekend.
post #10 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 07:49 AM
CIH USER

This film was great. We loved it definitley had a few laughs well worth it. A great blind buy.

Frank
post #11 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'll be checking out the 3D version tonight.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #12 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

"Tico, taco, ya-ya-ya!"
post #13 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

This film was great. We loved it definitley had a few laughs well worth it. A great blind buy.

Excellent! Blind buy for us as well and will watch Saturday night. You have a HD350 pj right?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #14 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I was forced to watch this first in 2D since the kids don't like the glasses but then I watched it again in 3D. Much more fun the 2nd time around, especially the flight scenes.

The drooling dog was a little too much, but overall a fun 3D animation.
post #15 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
HI Ralph, thanks for the review!

I am just a bit disappointed the film didn't get perfect scores for sound and video. I haven't seen it, so it is not a critique on your review, I just expect all the new animated films to be pristine. NO excuse for less than perfect in my opinion. Oh well, it doesn't come out here until October, but I may rent it first.
post #16 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just picked up the 3D version from Best Buy myself, they price matched walmart's $27.96 preorder price. Can't wait to watch it!
post #17 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

HI Ralph, thanks for the review!

I am just a bit disappointed the film didn't get perfect scores for sound and video. I haven't seen it, so it is not a critique on your review, I just expect all the new animated films to be pristine. NO excuse for less than perfect in my opinion. Oh well, it doesn't come out here until October, but I may rent it first.

Greetings,

No worries McStyvie, it is pretty darn close..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 03:29 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Excellent! Blind buy for us as well and will watch Saturday night. You have a HD350 pj right?

Yes I do.

Frank
post #19 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Great reviewers do not give perfect score unless it is a perfect movie and there is no such thing in life (well if there is then I have not yet seen it myself).

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune: SRI , CBE

post #20 of 36 Old 08-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Thanks Ralph! Can't wait to see it.

@audiopho- If I am not mistaken Toy Story (one or all) got a perfect score from Ralph, among a few others. Though you are right, he is stingy with it (as he should be)
post #21 of 36 Old 08-06-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I'm getting short freezes in the video with my PS3 slim. Anybody else have issues? Also, before anyone asks, my PS3 is only a few months old and sitting in the open in an air conditioned room.
post #22 of 36 Old 08-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

I'm getting short freezes in the video with my PS3 slim. Anybody else have issues? Also, before anyone asks, my PS3 is only a few months old and sitting in the open in an air conditioned room.

Watched it today on a Sony BDP-S570 and got short stuttering/freezes in several places as well, throughout the whole movie. I probably noticed it 6-8 times.
post #23 of 36 Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to getting my copy. Have never had an issue with any title on pS3 so hopefully this will play ok.

Follow my thread here
post #24 of 36 Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Bought 2 . FYI Applebees has a $3.00 coupon inside the kid's menu good until Sept. 31.
post #25 of 36 Old 08-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just watched this last night, pretty much agree with the assessment as usual, Ralph!

Video was near perfect aside from a few negligible moments of banding and some aliasing on a few occasions. Audio was pretty tight all around aside from the LFE channel. I found this was a music driven mix and it excelled at that.

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Quick shot of my gear/theater.
post #26 of 36 Old 08-12-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I'm waiting for the 3D version to show up before I watch it. Hopefully the 3D effect will be worth the wait. Nice review Ralph

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #27 of 36 Old 08-12-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I'm waiting for the 3D version to show up before I watch it. Hopefully the 3D effect will be worth the wait. Nice review Ralph
Greetings,

Thanks Dave..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #28 of 36 Old 08-12-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Nice review Ralph! I had to watch it several times with my toodler this week and couldnt agree more with your ratings...

C

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #29 of 36 Old 08-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

I was having the same freezing problems watching the Rio BR disk on my slimline PS3 with the latest updates and I called Fox to report this problem and needless to say that they were useless in resolving this issue by referring me back to Sony to address the problem. Until recently when other people began reporting this same freezing problem to Fox, Fox finally provided this possible solution to disable internet and to delete the BD Data Utility Folder found in the Video menu option (looks like a film strip icon) on the PS3.

I just deleted the BD Data Utility folder and the darn Rio disk now plays just fine on the PS3. I hope this works for you other PS3 folks.
post #30 of 36 Old 08-14-2011, 05:52 AM
CIH USER

We watched it a second time and we enjoyed it even more.

Frank
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Rio Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page