post #1 of 31 Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463

The Big Lebowski - Limited Edition

Overview:

From the Academy Award®-winning Coen brothers, The Big Lebowski is a hilariously quirky comedy about bowling, a severed toe, White Russians and a guy named…The Dude. Jeff “The Dude” Lebowski doesn’t want any drama in his life…heck, he can’t even be bothered with a job. But, he must embark on a quest with his bowling buddies after his rug is destroyed in a twisted case of mistaken identity.

attachment.php?attachmentid=220047&d=1313349942

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

My Thoughts:

The Dude. One cool guy who one day comes home to find two thugs have broken in and ruined his favorite carpet-the one that made the room "hang together". Thing is, they did it because he's got the same name as one of the richest men in town, Lebowski. But, no problem, he'll get even. At least he'll get someone to pay for the carpet. The first time I saw The Big Lebowski I really didn’t fully connect with it. I am a big Jeff Bridges fan and I didn’t know what to make of seeing him as this aging pothead/burnout type. I gave it another chance and came to fully appreciate the wonderfully perpetrated derision, humorous contexts and illustrated performance Bridges gives as he sells this character who becomes embroiled in a quirky case of mistaken identity that devolves into a kidnapping flim-flam with him supposedly holding the bag. As it turns out the person who seems least equipped to deal with the situation (The Dude) is the one who puts it all together. Of course this is done with the expert aid of fellow cronies Walter and Donny. There is more to the story but watching is so much more fun than telling. The Big Lebowski didn’t do well during its theatrical run but has since attained cult status with fans celebrating its idiosyncratic characters, theatric dream sequences, eccentric dialogue, and eclectic soundtrack. It holds up extremely well under repeat viewings and is among my favorite (could I pick a favorite?) Coen Brothers films. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment in this Limited Edition 28 Page companion Digi-book/keep case that features photos, movie quotes, trivia, character info and more. As a fan I am delighted to add it to my blu-ray library and highly recommend it.

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

This is a solid looking high definition Blu-ray catalog release from Universal. It boasts clean, well depicted colors that offer a good mix of secondary hues that appear natural. The softer hues and sepia tones offer spot on tonal balance. Facial complexions and skin tones are warm, with pinkish highlights that rarely appear unnatural. The level of detail present is notable and gives the video’s 1.85:1 framed image good dimension. There are minor fluctuations in apparent resolution that are more than likely related to the original photography as fidelity is rarely infringed upon. In most cases I had no trouble making out the thread patterns in clothing/furniture or the texture of surfaces. There are instances where the video takes on an edgy quality but I didn’t feel it was excessive or distracting. Black and white levels are stable which gives a fair level of pop to colors and brighter exterior sequences while keeping darker or low lit segments looking noticeably punchy with crisp, quiet blacks and visibly gradational detail in shadowy backgrounds. Grain is well preserved, even layered and unobtrusive while providing a noticeable texture that is film like and ultimately rewarding. Having owned the DVD releases I can state without equivocation that I have never seen this classic film look better on home video. Video = 86

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack is presented in a front oriented mix that is highlighted by the film’s marvelous music score/soundtrack. The orchestrated elements are spread across the front of the room with subtle articulation that blends perfectly with the rest of the mix to create an evenly balanced, multi-dimensional presentation enlivened by the music. Excellent directional spacing and imaging across the main three channels enables smaller background sounds within the mix to be detectable. Dialogue is definitively authoritative with excellent clarity and room penetration through the center channel. The soundstage opens up during sequences as the rear channels add depth to the soundstage. There isn’t much in the way of deep bass however low frequency detail appropriately supports the recorded elements. This is a great sounding audio presentation that hit the high points quite well. Audio = 84

Bonus Features:

• An exclusive introduction - 4 minutes

• Scene Companion: Watch cast and crew interviews, behind the scenes footage and more during key scenes with this picture-in-picture companion.

• Mark it Dude: This onscreen counter really ties the film together. Keep track of all the “F-Bombs,” “Dudes,” and “Dude-isms” in the film with this ultimate fan guide.

• The Music of The Big Lebowski: Instantly identify the songs heard while watching the film, create a custom playlist of your favorites and even purchase them from iTunes

• WORTHY ADVERSARIES: WHAT’S MY LINE TRIVIA: Test your Lebowski knowledge by finishing lines of dialogue during the film. Play as Walter or The Dude or in two-player mode against friends.
  • attachment.php?attachmentid=219286&d=1312546354
  • JEFF BRIDGES PHOTO BOOK: For more than 30 years, Jeff Bridges has been snapping pictures on movie sets. The accomplished photographer presents exclusive shots taken on the set of The Big Lebowski providing personal commentary on each photo - 17 minutes

• (HD) THE DUDE’S LIFE: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi and John Turturro take a look back at their performances and their delivery of the Coen Brothers’ dialogue that became classic movie lines. - 10 minutes

• (HD) THE DUDE ABIDES: THE BIG LEBOWSKI TEN YEARS LATER: A freewheeling conversation with the cast about the film’s decade-long reign as a cult classic, including a discussion about what ever happened to the “little Lebowski” that the Dude and Maude made that fateful night! - 10 minutes

• THE LEBOWSKI FEST: AN ACHIEVER’S STORY: An in-depth look at the popular Lebowski Festival, formed by the legion of fans in honor of the film - 14 minute documentary

• (HD) FLYING CARPETS & BOWLING PIN DREAMS: THE DREAM SEQUENCES OF The Dude -
    From aerial flights over Los Angeles with his bowling ball chasing Maude on a flying carpet, to the large scale “Busby Berkley” dance sequences as The Dude goes flying through the legs of all the bowling pin headed dancers, this piece examines how these “ahead of their time” scenes were constructed. - 4 minutes

• THE MAKING OF THE BIG LEBOWSKI: A behind the scenes look featuring interviews with the Coen Brothers.

• PHOTO GALLERY: Slideshow of Jeff Bridges’ on-set photography.

• INTERACTIVE MAP: Take a tour of the locations of The Big Lebowski, then and now.

• My Scenes bookmark feature

• Digital Copy of The Big Lebowski

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 16, 2011

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-14-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Ralph -- Your fondness for The Big Lebowski matches my own. I love the Coen brothers' work generally but think The Big Lebowski may be their funniest film. The Big Lebowski BD is No. 1 in my BB queue, so if all goes well, I'll get it next week. I am also considering adding this film to my highly selective BD library. Anyway, I am really looking forward to seeing it on BD. Let's hear three cheers for The Dude!
post #3 of 31 Old 08-14-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Love this movie. I'll be celebrating the arrival of this BD with a few White Russians. Ya gotta abide.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #4 of 31 Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 418
One of my favorite films. I have watched this film so many times at this point and it just never gets old for whatever reason for me. I have the HD-DVD so I will pass on this version, but great to see it is finally on blu

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 31 Old 08-14-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Love this movie. I'll be celebrating the arrival of this BD with a few White Russians. Ya gotta abide.

Indeed! In addition you should remember to eat the bear before he eats you and that we don't roll on Shabbos!
post #6 of 31 Old 08-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"His wife goes out and owes money all over town and they pee on my rug?"

"It's not about money..It's about...sending a message.."
post #7 of 31 Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Love this movie, already pre-ordered it on BD. I already have it on HD-DVD though; does anyone know if it's an identical transfer?

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #8 of 31 Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 AM

@fatuglyguy: The tranfers are not identical. The HD-DVD has no DNR (like the italian Blu-ray), the new Blu-ray has DNR!

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/reviews/bigl.htm

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=67
post #9 of 31 Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The quote is "That rug really tied the room together".

Boom
post #10 of 31 Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
"This isn't vietnam dude. This is bowling, there are rules."

My favorite movie of all time.
post #11 of 31 Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
"Shut the f*&^k up Donny"

Great film, I have it on HD-DVD and I might buy this version.
post #12 of 31 Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
IMO the funniest scene ever is the spreading of Donnie's ashes as Walter rambles on about 'Nam.

How do the Coen brothers come up with such stuff.

This was shown recently at Colorado's Red Rocks outdoor amphitheater.
post #13 of 31 Old 08-15-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I revisit this movie more than any other in the last couple of years. It just works for me every time. I have the HD-DVD, but want the extras, so I'll be picking up the Blu Ray.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #14 of 31 Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimanfz1 View Post
IMO the funniest scene ever is the spreading of Donnie's ashes as Walter rambles on about 'Nam.

How do the Coen brothers come up with such stuff.

My grandson and I were laughing about The Big Lebowski earlier today. He called my attention to a new book entitled, The Abide Guide: Living Like Lebowski.
post #15 of 31 Old 08-15-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
My grandson and I were laughing about The Big Lebowski earlier today. He called my attention to a new book entitled, The Abide Guide: Living Like Lebowski.
The Abide Guide. I like it! The Big Lebowski is such a quotable movie. One more day left. I got all my fixin's for a quality White Russian.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #16 of 31 Old 08-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimanfz1 View Post

Wish I would have caught this. I have seen countless concerts at Red Rocks (live 30 minutes away) but somehow have never seen a movie there which I hear is great.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #17 of 31 Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Although a copy of The Big Lebowski is on its way to me from Blockbuster, I ordered my own copy of the BD from Amazon tonight. It's simply too great a film not to own.
post #18 of 31 Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
In my opinion there was never a role that John Goodman played as well as this one. He was made for this movie.

Thanks for reviewing this movie Ralph. Into my cart it goes!

And as has already been said... "Shut the f__k up Donny"

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #19 of 31 Old 08-16-2011, 01:24 PM

"You see what happens Larry when you f__k a stranger in the a**?!?!" -John Goodman's the best..lol...

"It's not about money..It's about...sending a message.."
post #20 of 31 Old 08-16-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

In my opinion there was never a role that John Goodman played as well as this one. He was made for this movie.

Thanks for reviewing this movie Ralph. Into my cart it goes!

And as has already been said... "Shut the f__k up Donny"

I agree that John Goodman, comic genius though he is, was never funnier than he was as Walter in The Big Lebowski. To put it mildly, the Coens gave him an all time great screenplay to work with
post #21 of 31 Old 08-16-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A classic Coen's brothers. Dark comedy at its best. Just picked up my copy today.
post #22 of 31 Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Watched a Netflix copy today. What a DNR festival. Looks better than most DVD's, but just barely.
post #23 of 31 Old 08-17-2011, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Got my copy today, and the use of DNR is indeed disappointing. Compared it head to head with my HD-DVD copy. Contrast is definitely pumped up on this release, and the loss of detail is definitely noticeable. Still, doesn't look absolutely terrible, and the packaging makes it a nice addition, considering HD-DVD is dead. A wash, I guess.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
post #24 of 31 Old 08-17-2011, 01:09 PM

One word: "Pedera##"
post #25 of 31 Old 08-17-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I got a copy of The Big Lebowski BD in the mail from BB today and will watch it tonight. I have ordered a copy for myself from Amazon. Although there has been some, to me at least, unduly judgmental criticism of the BD's PQ in the Blu-ray Software Forum, I suspect I will agree with Ralph's assessment that the PQ is rather good. In any event, I'm not going to let that sort of thing detract from my enjoyment of this comic masterpiece.
post #26 of 31 Old 08-17-2011, 04:55 PM

slightly off topic: The cottages in this movie are for sale:

http://www.bulldogrealtors.com/pages...nezia-606.html
post #27 of 31 Old 08-17-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed gwsat. I ordered mine from Amazon today too. Looking forward to owning the BD, and the book will sit on my coffee table. I will abide.

I'm putting that other thread on my ignore list.

(Is that possible?)

post #28 of 31 Old 08-17-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I got a copy of The Big Lebowski BD in the mail from BB today and will watch it tonight. I have ordered a copy for myself from Amazon. Although there has been some, to me at least, unduly judgmental criticism of the BD's PQ in the Blu-ray Software Forum, I suspect I will agree with Ralph's assessment that the PQ is rather good. In any event, I'm not going to let that sort of thing detract from my enjoyment of this comic masterpiece.

The picture is actually very good on this disc. Had I not already owned the HD-DVD as a reference point, I think I would be happy with it. But when comparing the new release to the "old" copy, there are areas of detail that just aren't there on the BD.

post #29 of 31 Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I received my copy the other day and am completely satisfied that my money was well spent. A welcome addition to my burgeoning Blu-ray movie collection. The movie itself was just the way I remembered it. Classic John Goodman. The haircut, the sunglasses, the attitude. Perfect! And the look on The Dude's ashen face at the end summed up the story of his life perfectly. He's my new old hero!

post #30 of 31 Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I watched a copy of The Big Lebowski BD, which I rented from Blockbuster last week, and loved it more than ever. This week, my own copy came and I will watch it yet again in the not too distant future.

Some of the criticisms in the Blu-ray Software Forum of the quality of the transfer on The Big Lebowski BD have struck me as nearly deranged. Some of those folks simply can't accept that PQ always comes down to a matter of opinion and that artifacts, which drive them crazy, are of little or no consequence to the rest of us. I used to think that this kind of judgmental arrogance was the exclusive provence of around-the-bend audiophiles but I don't think so anymore.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Big Lebowski Limited Edition Blu Ray Book Digital Copy , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt310 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page