Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2011
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Feature running time: 87 minutes
Genre: Action/Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Paul Bettany, Karl Urban, Maggie Q, Cam Gigandet, Christopher Plummer, Lily Collins, Stephen Moyer
Directed by: Scott Stewart
Music by: Christopher Young
Written by: Cory Goodman based on the Graphic Novel Series Priest by Min Woo-Hyung
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 16, 2011

"The War is Eternal. His Mission is Just the beginning"

Film Synopsis:

In a post-apocalyptic world, a savage war between man and vampire raged for centuries. A warrior priest (Paul Bettany) receives word of fresh attacks but now it`s personal, his niece has been kidnapped by a new hive of merciless vampires. To save her, he must break his vow of peace and hunt down the hive before it's too late. Based on the acclaimed graphic novel and packed with bloodthirsty action, this full throttle crusade takes you on the hunt for a deadly new breed of killer.

My Take:

Based on the graphic novel series of the same name by Min Woo-Hyung , PRIEST is a post-apocalyptic sci-fi action/thriller, set in an alternate world ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires. The plot revolves around a legendary Warrior Priest from the last Vampire War who now lives in obscurity among the other downtrodden human inhabitants in walled-in dystopian cities ruled by the Church. When his niece is abducted by a murderous pack of vampires, Priest breaks his sacred vows to venture out on a quest to find her before they turn her into one of them. He is joined on his crusade by his niece's boyfriend, a trigger-fingered young wasteland sheriff, and a former Warrior Priestess who possesses otherworldly fighting skills.

The description above, taken from the press kit, pretty much sums up the heavily borrowed and thin plot of this film. Hollywood's use of narrative's that revolve around vampires is quickly becoming tiresome. Here they are depicted as more beastlike but that does little to dispel the feeling of been here and done that. The attempts at drama and plot twists are both transparent of derivative. The production elements are pretty slick but the action and futuristic nature of the story are rehashed from better efforts. It is evident that this intended to be the first in a series but that remains to be seen. As a genre fan I will admit to finding some merit in Priest but I suspect that it's directly linked to the presentation, fervent pacing and fondness for the principle members of the cast. I like Paul Bettany, Karl Urban and Maggie Q and each gets their time on center stage. The bit parts, played by Stephen Moyer and Christopher Plummer (really??), are pure window dressing. In the end I would consider Priest to be middling mindless entertainment that falls below the threshold established by the better popcorn flicks within its class. Priest is available on Blu-ray in a separate 2D version which is identical to this release with the exception of two exclusive bonus supplements (see below).

Parental Guide:

This unrated film contains disturbing images, graphic violence and thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 78

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Priest 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures HE featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.3 Mbps.

This film wasn't shot natively in 3D but was converted in post production for theatrical release. The film was largely shot against green screens and the reproduction of the digital effects and wide angle background elements is quite good. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by separation of objects and/or people layered in the foreground/background which creates a discerning sense of virtual space. Dimensionality and apparent resolution is rarely questionable in close ups and brightly lit exterior sequences (of which there are few) but it varies some in the limited lighting that comprises much of the film. There is a distinct lack of 3D effects that transcend the boundaries of the screen which makes for a somewhat less involving experience especially for an action oriented film of this type. I didn't notice any overt instances of crosstalk or other video related anomalies. The end result is a satisfying but unremarkable 3D video presentation.

Incorporating elements of horror and action a film like this relies heavily on its soundtrack to elicit the intended effect upon the audience and this DTS-HD Master Audio does just that. This is a fairly aggressive surround sound mix that features an array of well placed sound effects that engage the listening position. The room is illuminated with an array of sounds that are both directional and ambient in nature. I appreciated the attention to detail that went into creating the surround mix as it effectively replicates the environments featured in the film. Bass reproduction is clean, extended and hard hitting as it accentuates the audio's excellent dynamic range with rich, palpable impact. The battle sequence that takes place in the deserted hive is a great example. This short but captivating segment delivers a wave of sound that comes at you from every angle to place you right in the middle of the action. Dialogue intelligibility is never a problem even during the film's active moments. This is a great surround sound experience that made this film a bit more enjoyable.

Priest - 2D Video Quality:

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Priest comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=219625&d=1312897512

This film has an intentionally dark and singular chromatic visual style that doesn't lend itself to vibrant colors and vivid high gloss video quality. There are instances where brighter elements are utilized and the boldly applied contrast allows them to pop visually. Otherwise onscreen images predominantly lean toward darker color schemes, and grittier textures that provide the look that the filmmakers use to drive the story's components. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is good overall and revealing of visible details within dark backgrounds and low lighting. Stable contrast and deep blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with crisp whites and dynamic highlights. Resolution is discerning as images are characterized by intricate and definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. This is the case in all but a few instances where definition softens and doesn't retain the same level of lucidity.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) 3D exclusive: Weapons and vehicle exploration in 3D - interactive feature with a 360 degree perspective on the film's bike and weapons

• (HD) 3D Exclusive: Uncharted 3 - Drake's deception (video game trailer) in 3D

• 2D Blu-ray version of Priest

• Bullets and Crucifixes: Picture-in-Picture Experience - A look behind the scenes at the film's origins, cast, production elements and special effects including interviews of the cast/crew

• Audio Commentary with Director Scott Stewart, Writer Cory Goodman, and Actors Paul Bettany and Maggie Q

• 7 deleted & extended scenes

• (HD) The bloddy frontier: Creating the world of Priest - 13 minute featurette

• (HD) Tools of the trade: The weapons & vehicles of Priest - 11 minute featurette

• (HD) Twisted Metal Uncut Trailer - 2 minutes

• MovieIQ

• BD-Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

Priest is a largely derivative action/horror/thriller based upon the graphic novel series of the same name by Min Woo-Hyung. It isn't so much a bad film as it is an unremarkable one that fails to scratch the popcorn flick itch felt by fans of the genre. It comes to Blu-ray Disc in both 3D and 2D releases. I found the 3D version to be perfectly acceptable but lacking in the kind of involving dimensionality/effects that often make action films like this fun to watch in 3D. The 2D version offers excellent high definition video quality that faithfully renders the film's stylized visuals. The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is an engaging one that makes for a rewarding surround sound experience. The supplemental offering is a good one that contains 3D exclusive content, interactive features as well as the inclusion of bonus content found on the 2D release. If you're a fan of the film either release makes for a worthwhile purchase. Otherwise I would suggest a rental first.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
JVC PK-AG1 3D Glasses
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-15-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks for the review! I agree with what you said, I thought the film had some great potential but failed to live up to it.

It certainly had a great "look" to the world and I wish the direction, story and script could have lived up to the level set by the art director and production designers of the movie.

My perpetual home theater build -
post #3 of 29 Old 08-15-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This was a decent film although Paul's role being a Priest with power, i was hoping a little more but failed to deliver. Great action and all but it missed that mark. The only way i'd collect this is if it was half off. lol
post #4 of 29 Old 08-15-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Oh well, sounds like a decent rental

post #5 of 29 Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Thanks Ralph. Have this coming via Netflix tom. Sounds like this one is better for a rent instead of a buy!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #6 of 29 Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Why do I like this film? Graphic novel aside, it's a virtual remake of John Ford's masterpiece; "The Searchers" with vampires rather than Commanches. Paul Bettany is very good in the John Wayne part. Karl Urban, the one humanoid vampire, plays the Cheif Scar role. Cam Gigadant is Jeffrey Hunter and Lily Collins is Natalie Wood. Ward Bond was fun in "The Searchers", but the delectable, ass kicking Maggie Q is light years ahead of him in this new Blu-Ray.

Ralph is right (as always) about the technical qualities and it's a pretty dark movie to be in 3D, particularly on my own JVC RS50. I keep watching this movie more than it deserves because the retread "Searchers" plot, acting and action are so much fun. I'm probably insane, but I keep enjoying it. No, Paul Bettany never says "That'll be the day!"
post #7 of 29 Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 618
If good new releases this month were plentiful, I'd maybe pass on this for now .. however, releases are pretty thin, so I'm in for a rent ..

As always, thanks, Ralph

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8 of 29 Old 08-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvid View Post

Why do I like this film? Graphic novel aside, it's a virtual remake of John Ford's masterpiece; "The Searchers" with vampires rather than Commanches. Paul Bettany is very good in the John Wayne part. Karl Urban, the one humanoid vampire, plays the Cheif Scar role. Cam Gigadant is Jeffrey Hunter and Lily Collins is Natalie Wood. Ward Bond was fun in "The Searchers", but the delectable, ass kicking Maggie Q is light years ahead of him in this new Blu-Ray.

Ralph is right (as always) about the technical qualities and it's a pretty dark movie to be in 3D, particularly on my own JVC RS50. I keep watching this movie more than it deserves because the retread "Searchers" plot, acting and action are so much fun. I'm probably insane, but I keep enjoying it. No, Paul Bettany never says "That'll be the day!"

Would you say this is more of a horror flick? Or more darker type of action flick? Horror ain't really my genre but I can get into darker action..
post #9 of 29 Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
This movie is not horror at all, it's post apocalyptic sci-fi. The vampires are vampire in name only, they could have just as easily been aliens.

My perpetual home theater build -
post #10 of 29 Old 08-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

This movie is not horror at all, it's post apocalyptic sci-fi. The vampires are vampire in name only, they could have just as easily been aliens.

Tight! I may cop this one then. Thank you
post #11 of 29 Old 08-16-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Dear Mark;

No, this is a fun action flic that isn't very scary. It's enjoyable on a lot of levels. Christopher Plummer is scarier than the dark vampires with his religious uber dogma. No blobby, blind vampires stand a chance when you have Maggie Q on your side. As far as horror goes, as John Wayne would say; "That'll be the day!"
post #12 of 29 Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks a lot! I'll proly go ahead and grab this one then
post #13 of 29 Old 08-16-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post
Thanks a lot! I'll proly go ahead and grab this one then
Greetings,

Yup, not a whole lotta horror goin' on..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #14 of 29 Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Oh well, sounds like a decent rental

yeah I decided I'm going to wait also to rent it.

Frank

post #15 of 29 Old 08-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought movie was not bad. Fun picture and sound. Lol.

Was watching it on my 3D passive LG 55", and man did the 3D look awesome. Really good depth and very sharp. Even dark scenes were bright on the LG.

Eitherway, fun film and a good watch.
post #16 of 29 Old 08-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Actually I enjoyed the movie sound (surround) more than the movie itself, LOL.
Picture for the most part was too dark for my taste as well.

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune:

post #17 of 29 Old 08-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
crap
post #18 of 29 Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Based on this and other reviews, I think I'll move Priest down a bit on my Netflix queue. I want to see it but I don't think think I'll make it a priority.

Bob

post #19 of 29 Old 08-22-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 230
It is a fun, check your brain, AV flic. Not too bad.

post #20 of 29 Old 08-23-2011, 03:10 AM

Hey all, I'm just wondering if anybody else has noticed problems with the audio on this disc. For me, it starts right out of the gate during the previews and continues on through all previews and throughout the featured presentation. It's not anything too terrible but the audio constantly drops by about 5-10 db's and then stays quiet like that for a short time and then it goes back up to normal again. It's not obvious times in the movie where it should drop so I really don't think it was a sound editor's decision (and if it was, it was a mighty poor one). This doesn't happen to me with any other audio/video run through my system including no other discs played through the same PS3 that I used to play Priest. Did I just get a bum copy of the disc or are there any other people out there experiencing the sound loss on this as well?

Thanks in advance for any help or answers provided!
post #21 of 29 Old 08-27-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I do see some parallel w/ The Searchers but it's like comparing trash with a classic gem. The only saving grace is Maggie, besides the AQ.

It's a long wait for the the release of Underworld IV next year.
post #22 of 29 Old 09-03-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Just watched this in 3D tonight and agree it is a bit too dark throughout for a 3D movie.

Otherwise the story was engaging and audio quality was superb. This was my second viewing. I rented the 2D from Blockbuster and bought the 3D. I'll have to watch it again on my Vizio 32" passive to see if it is any brighter than the Sony 90ES.

Don Landis
post #23 of 29 Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Anyone with an Acer 5360 try degamma 5 for this film -- opens up the image and dark scenes look good with plenty of detail and depth. I'm using an HP screen. Daylight scenes made me squint.
post #24 of 29 Old 09-15-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I've watched the 2D rental of Priest twice and enjoyed it even more the second time around since I knew the storyline and could concentrate on other aspects. People criticizing a movie loosely based on a Korean graphic novel seems like going to a strip club and complaining about the nudity. Either people aren't doing their homework before walking into the theater (or renting the video) or they're expecting a miraculous production based on the overused vampire genre. And yes, the director has said that the film is a homage to The Searchers. The action is over the top as one would expect but I thought the acting was decent. If you don't like CGI then this movie is one to avoid because it's loaded with it. The sound was outstanding and made up for the sometimes too dark picture. As they say, it is what it is.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #25 of 29 Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I've watched the 2D rental of Priest twice and enjoyed it.....

I also enjoyed it. Yes, it often felt like I'd seen most of the things in it before, and it obviously didn't have the biggest budget in the world. My analytical brain was pointing this stuff out to me as I was watching it..... BUT... the rest of my brain was busy being entertained. It is what it is, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. Also, like another poster said.... I like the actors. The guy who played the baddie was great in DOOM and spot on here. Maggie Q just exudes kick-ass. Just a great cast.

It's one of those movies that doesn't check off all the boxes, but works anyway.
post #26 of 29 Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 AM

Liked: 11
Just watched the 2D version from RedBox. It did have the bonus features.
I didn't know the story/background. Really enjoyed it, and the surround effects and LFE were impressive.
post #27 of 29 Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A crap movie can get by solely by looking great.
post #28 of 29 Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

I thought movie was not bad. Fun picture and sound. Lol.

Was watching it on my 3D passive LG 55", and man did the 3D look awesome. Really good depth and very sharp. Even dark scenes were bright on the LG.

Eitherway, fun film and a good watch.

+1! LG passive is the way to go!

Have owned this for some time now and I too have given it multiple views (never in 2D, mind you!) -- my wife and eldest son also enjoy it every time! It can be argued this film is far from being perfect, but I thought the cast was thoroughly enjoyable, the CGI was apt, the vamps original (and scary enough!), the fight/action choreography stylish, with the sound and 3D visuals awesome! What more can I say? Oh, yeah ... bring on part 2! biggrin.gif
post #29 of 29 Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

+1! LG passive is the way to go!
Have owned this for some time now and I too have given it multiple views (never in 2D, mind you!) -- my wife and eldest son also enjoy it every time! It can be argued this film is far from being perfect, but I thought the cast was thoroughly enjoyable, the CGI was apt, the vamps original (and scary enough!), the fight/action choreography stylish, with the sound and 3D visuals awesome! What more can I say? Oh, yeah ... bring on part 2! biggrin.gif

I agree I hope they do part 2

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Priest 3d

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page