Feature running time: 586 minutes
Genre: TV Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Steve Carell, Rainn Wilson, Jenna Fischer, John Krasinski, Ed Helms, B.J Novak, Angela Kinsey, Leslie David Baker, Mindy Kaling, Phyllis Smith, Creed Bratton, Craig Robinson, Oscar Nunez, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Paul Lieberstein, Ellie Kemper, Zach Woods
Directed by: Various
Music by: Jay Ferguson
Written by: Various
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 6, 2011

"The Office. You don't have to be crazy to work there...but it helps."

Film Synopsis:

Inappropriate behavior is business as usual, but big surprises are in store! Dwight is now the owner of the building and he may be letting this power go to his head; Andy is courting Erin, who is dating Gabe; Jim and Pam are struggling with being new parents; and a parade of ghosts of girlfriends past haunt Michael, leading to his final days at Dunder Mifflin.

My Take:

A remake of the hit 2001 BBC TV series of the same name, The Office is a mockumentary style sitcom that documents the exploits of the employees at Dunder Mifflin, a paper supply company in Scranton, Pennsylvania. My first experience with the The Office was back in 2005 when NBC ran the first four episodes in a row during prime time. The first episode we saw was Diversity day. It literally had us in stitches and we haven't missed an episode since. Over the years we have reveled in the hysterical absurdity, rooted for blossoming relationships, and bonded with these endearingly quirky characters that we have come to know so well. Everyone has a turn in the barrel and the results can be uproariously funny and occasionally heartwarming. The genuine chemistry among the cast shines through brilliantly. Like each season before it Season seven has its share of in office inappropriateness, off color humor, superbly orchestrated folly, and wonderfully infused drama that never derails the drollery but effectively supports it.

For us this season was bitter sweet as it marked Steve Carrel's final season on the show. Michael Scott's antics are the reason I began watching The Office and I just don't know what it will be like with him. Thanks to Carrel Michael had just the right amount of lovable ineptness infused with an insensitive but nurturing nature (with a hint of charisma) that endeared him to his fellow employees (and the audience) in spite of himself. There are some priceless moments throughout Season seven, here are a few of my favorite episodes; Nepotism, WUPHF.com, Threat level mignight, Michael's last Dundies Andy's play The garage sale and Goodbye Michael. This memorable season features guest appearances from Amy Ryan, Timothy Olyphant, Ricky Gervais, and an unforgettable hour-long season finale with Jim Carrey, Will Arnett, Ray Romano, James Spader, and Catherine Tate, all vying for Michael Scott's old post. I don't know what the future holds for The Office but I have high hopes for it to continue in the tradition of each of the last 7 seasons and look forward to its premiere later this month. Season seven's 24 episodes plus extended episodes for Search committee and Training day (for a total of 26) are spread over four BD-50 Blu-ray discs with the bulk of the bonus features contained on disc four.

Parental Guide:

The Office contains mild thematic material and suggestive language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

The Office Season Seven comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

This video presentation is reminiscent of the show's broadcast high definition quality and looks terrific on Blu-ray. Colors are vivid with rich primary highlights and natural rendering that looks superb. Skin tones are characteristically distinguishable with lifelike complexional structure. Resolution is excellent as images have crisp definition, revealing subtle delineation, and above average dimension. Blacks are strong and depth of field in low level shots is appreciable. Sharpness fluctuates here and there but fidelity is never in question. This is a faithful and pristinely rendered high definition presentation that won't disappoint.

The multi-channel lossless audio won't test the limits of your surround sound system but it capably delivers the elements present in the show's soundtrack. Dialogue is tonally rich with excellent room penetration and defining clarity. Dynamics are punchy (Threat level midnight) and bass response is appropriate in support of the track's recorded elements. The front channels handle the bulk of the audio and presents an open two dimensional soundstage with the surrounds supplying ambient detail. I think the mix mates perfectly with the source material and sounds great.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Audio commentary (episode Nepotism) - Featuring Paul Lieberstein, BJ Novak, Creed Bratton, Craig Robinson, Daniel Chun

• (HD) 8 deleted scenes

• Disc 2:

• Audio commentary (Episode PDA) - Featuring Greg Daniels, Ellie Kemper, Angela Kinsey, Brian Baumgartner, Claire Scanlon, Kelly Cantley, Robert Padnick

• (HD) Deleted scenes

• Disc 3:

• (HD) Threat level midnight: The movie (A Michael Scott joint) - 26 minutes

• Audio commentary (episode Threat level midnight) - Featuring BJ Novak, Craig Robinson, Creed Bratton, Charlie Grandy, David Rogers

• (HD) 3 Deleted scenes

• Disc 4:

• Audio commentary (episode Goodbye Michael) - Featuring Greg Daniels, Ellie Kemper, Brian Baumgartner, David Rogers

• Audio commentary (episode Dwight K. Schrute: acting manager) - Featuring Mindy Kaling, Ellie Kemper, Angela Kinsey, Steve Hely, Justin Spitzer

• (HD) Season seven blooper reel - 15 minutes

• (HD) Webisodes: The third floor

1. Moving on
    2. Lights, camera, action!
    3. The final product

• (HD) 3 deleted scenes

• My scenes bookmark feature

• BD-Live access

• pocket BLU: Season Seven Exclusive - Through an internet connected blu-ray player viewers have the option to watch the latest episodes of The Office Season Eight the day after they air on NBC beginning this fall.

Final Thoughts:

Since 2005 The Office has consistently been one of the funniest and highly rated sitcoms in prime time which has earned it numerous industry awards and a large fan following. Season Seven continues in that tradition as fans can revel in all of the inter-office fun, and heartwarming moments from Steve Carrel's final season. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment in a fan friendly offering that boasts top notch video quality, crystal clear DTS-HD Master Audio sound and an entertaining assortment of bonus supplements. For me, as a diehard fan, Season Seven is special. If you enjoy The Office this set is a must have plain and simple.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for the review. I'm a Brit, and can definitely say that this is one transatlantic crossover that worked. I think it's better than the UK series in that it has kept on giving us a high standard of laughs for much longer than the Ricky Gervais original masterpiece.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Office Season Seven Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Svs Pb13 Ultra
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page