Hanna (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 69
So, Best Buy has an exclusive version of this film with the Blu-ray and DVD both as one disc. I didn't ask here first before I noticed it in Best Buy, so I didn't buy it, but is this just a dual layer flip disc or something? I know my terminology on that isn't probably right, but my intentions are what matter. Basically, is there any more compression on this disc than there would be on the one that is just the Blu-ray itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I did a blind-buy on this one and was underwhelmed by the film. The story was just OK and I found the action sequences to be less than engaging.

The PQ was also very soft and I don't think I agree with it's rating. The AQ was excellent though. I'll probably be trading this one in.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 09-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

I did a blind-buy on this one and was underwhelmed by the film. The story was just OK and I found the action sequences to be less than engaging.

The PQ was also very soft and I don't think I agree with it's rating. The AQ was excellent though. I'll probably be trading this one in.

Haha--maybe I'll buy your copy in case I wear mine out--I really do love this movie but I know it is not for everyone. (You can tell I'm a fan by my Hanna avatar on the Blu Ray forum )

Bob

Old 09-23-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

Haha--maybe I'll buy your copy in case I wear mine out--I really do love this movie but I know it is not for everyone. (You can tell I'm a fan by my Hanna avatar on the Blu Ray forum )

I know....I really expected to like it more but something was just lacking with it. I suppose I should maybe give it another watch before selling it to see if my opinion changes.

There were a few sequences that I enjoyed like the warehouse chase and the escape sequence.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 09-25-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Fun movie if you don't try to think about it too much. Loved the style.

Excellent soundtrack, though! Pretty damn good audio/video experience on Bluray.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Fun movie if you don't try to think about it too much. Loved the style.

Excellent soundtrack, though! Pretty damn good audio/video experience on Bluray.

I couldn't resist and bought the Chemical Brothers soundtrack yesterday--awesome!

Bob

Old 10-05-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Enjoyed this. I did find myself wondering how a different young actress would have done here? I liked Ronan's calm demanor and big blue eyes but her physical presence and action scenes took me a little out of the picture. She did not carry herself like a trained fighter or elite athlete. Having been around young, female gymnasts and martial artists, they have a certain carriage earned from so many years of physical training. Chloe Moretz did a great job of selling that she could really do the action scenes in Kickass. Ronan came across more like a young female actress playing the role. Still liked the movie, and her, very much though. The LFE was insane in this as well. Hit harder and dug deeper than the Transformers 3 bluray that I saw just before this - though not as often as TF3.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Enjoyed this. I did find myself wondering how a different young actress would have done here? I liked Ronan's calm demanor and big blue eyes but her physical presence and action scenes took me a little out of the picture. She did not carry herself like a trained fighter or elite athlete. Having been around young, female gymnasts and martial artists, they have a certain carriage earned from so many years of physical training. Chloe Moretz did a great job of selling that she could really do the action scenes in Kickass. Ronan came across more like a young female actress playing the role. Still liked the movie, and her, very much though. The LFE was insane in this as well. Hit harder and dug deeper than the Transformers 3 bluray that I saw just before this - though not as often as TF3.

Your analysis of Hanna and Ronan's performance in it are the same as mine. Despite Ronan's lack of athleticism, which made her action scenes less than they might have been in the hands of a more athletically gifted actress, she was wonderful in every other way. Ronan has always had the ability to project intelligence and will, and she used it well as Hanna. Speaking of Kick-Ass, which I thought so highly of I added the BD to my highly selective collection, I think Chloe Moretz has a chance to be the second coming of Ronan. As terrific as Moretz was in Kick-Ass, she was just as good in (500) Days of Summer, as the wise beyond her years kid sister of the Joseph Gordon-Levitt character.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Enjoyed this. I did find myself wondering how a different young actress would have done here? I liked Ronan's calm demanor and big blue eyes but her physical presence and action scenes took me a little out of the picture. She did not carry herself like a trained fighter or elite athlete. Having been around young, female gymnasts and martial artists, they have a certain carriage earned from so many years of physical training.

The same could be said of almost any movie where an "actor" plays a trained fighter or elite athlete.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Finally got around to watching a rental BD last night and like some others here came away a little underwhelmed. Perhaps I was expecting too much but the storyline left me wanting for more and in many respects made no sense at all. I appreciate the effort Ronan put into her performance but at no point did I find her believable as a trained assassin, not at 5' 6" and 107 pounds. As someone else mentioned she doesn't even carry herself like a person who has had extensive physical conditioning. Even Angelina Jolie in Salt (5' 8" and 100 pounds) was hard to buy and had me wishing for her Tomb Raider days. This isn't to say that the film doesn't have some charm on a fantasy level but this doesn't play out like a fantasy. And although I like Cate Blanchett in the right role this one seemed like it was mailed in.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Finally got around to watching a rental BD last night and like some others here came away a little underwhelmed. Perhaps I was expecting too much but the storyline left me wanting for more and in many respects made no sense at all. I appreciate the effort Ronan put into her performance but at no point did I find her believable as a trained assassin, not at 5' 6" and 107 pounds. As someone else mentioned she doesn't even carry herself like a person who has had extensive physical conditioning. Even Angelina Jolie in Salt (5' 8" and 100 pounds) was hard to buy and had me wishing for her Tomb Raider days. This isn't to say that the film doesn't have some charm on a fantasy level but this doesn't play out like a fantasy. And although I like Cate Blanchett in the right role this one seemed like it was mailed in.

Be sure you watch the special features as you will see that Saoirse Ronan did train extensively for the role and even learned special martial arts techniques specifically for someone her size. I have been really impressed with how hard these young actors train for today's movies. And you are right, Chloe does come across quite differently than Saoirse but I personally enjoyed her rather low-key approach--and some of that is also the result of Joe Wright's direction. In contrast, Zack Synder was more interested in having elaborate fight scenes in Sucker Punch--another great showcase of fighting skill by young actresses. You can get the feel for how Joe Wright approaches Hanna if you watch the movie with director's comments on. As you can tell I am a big fan of this movie.

Bob

Old 10-08-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Saw it at the movies and did not like it, Cate Blanchett is terrible here delivering an over-the-top acting. The girl was unconvincing as the killer she should have been. Bana is terribly inexpressive and the script is weak, full of holes.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just finished it. The film was well produced, and was beautiful. However, for a film that I think is trying to be as realistic as possible (like Bourne), there are too many "uh....I don't think so" moments for me to have really latched on to the film. After her first escape, it became just a popcorn flick for me. Something to sit back and enjoy but not think too deeply about.

I also watched it on a PS3 phat and had two instances of skipping, but the disk has no visible damage. Maybe I just had a bad disk....
Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post

I also watched it on a PS3 phat and had two instances of skipping, but the disk has no visible damage. Maybe I just had a bad disk....

I watched the Hanna BD on a PS3 Fat, too. The disc played perfectly on my PS3 so I would be surprised if your skipping problem wasn't caused by a bad disc.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched the Hanna BD on a PS3 Fat, too. The disc played perfectly on my PS3 so I would be surprised if your skipping problem wasn't caused by a bad disc.

just tried it on another phat and it skipped in the same spots. Good thing it was a redbox disc and it is a short hop to return it.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Did they reuse some Aeon Flux sets for this?

Kaboom.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post

I just finished it. The film was well produced, and was beautiful. However, for a film that I think is trying to be as realistic as possible (like Bourne), there are too many "uh....I don't think so" moments for me to have really latched on to the film. After her first escape, it became just a popcorn flick for me. Something to sit back and enjoy but not think too deeply about.

Hanna is one of my very favorite movies--but it had a rough start for me too. The disc froze at a crucial part of the movie--inside the CIA facility in the desert. Fortunately for me, there was something on the disc that I was able to remove with some meticulous cleaning and the disc has been fine through many, many plays. I used an iKlear cloth to clean it.

Bob

Old 05-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I liked the move stylistically and aurally, not so much for the story.

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Hanna Blu Ray