Studio and Year: Paramount - 2011
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 114 minutes
Genre: Action/Fantasy/Sci-fi

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Kat Dennings, Stellan Skarsgard, Anthony Hopkins, Tom Hiddleston, Colm Feore, Idris Elba, Ray Stevenson, Rene Russo
Directed by: Kenneth Branagh
Music by: Patrick Doyle
Written by: Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Don Payne
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 13, 2011

"Two worlds. One hero"

Film Synopsis:

The epic adventure THOR spans the Marvel universe from present-day Earth to the cosmic realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is The Mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. As a result, Thor is banished to Earth where he is forced to live among humans. When the most dangerous villain of his world sends its darkest forces to invade Earth, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero.

My Take:

I grew up reading Marvel Comics and Thor was my first superhero favorite. This came from reading about his exploits with The Avengers and sporadic episodes of his own comic. I initially tried to keep up with his extended battles/adventures that took place away from Earth but eventually lost interest. He remained a personal favorite though and I looked forward to seeing his transition to the big screen. I took my son to see Thor when it hit theaters earlier this year. I wouldn't say that it proved as rewarding as Iron man but the script is nicely balanced and primarily focuses on the essential elements necessary to develop the character (s) in what is obviously a continuing narrative that will integrate with the storylines from the other Marvel films. The opening and first act set things up and provide a bit of thematic melodrama and rewarding introductory action that flow into a sort of fish out of water second act that moves back and forth between Earth and Asgard. The heart of the story rests here as the correlation of details and interpersonal relationships drive the unfolding events that lead to the finale.

This certainly isn't highbrow filmmaking (nor is it supposed to be) but the screenplay is very decent and contains some nicely integrated humor, satisfying character development, corny but effective romance and excellent special effects. I think Chris Hemsworth does a nice job in the title role although he can be a little hammy at times. Natalie Portman is always fun to watch and Anthony Hopkins is well suited to play Odin and nails it of course. Kat Dennings (Darcy) and Tim Hiddleston (Loki) were nice surprises and effectively stole every scene they were in. I would have preferred more action but thoroughly enjoyed the battle sequence against the Frost Giants which provides the only extensive opportunity to see Thor's skill set on display. Hopefully we will see more of that kind of action in The Avengers. Thor makes a worthy addition to the Marvel Film franchise and proves to be excellent popcorn entertainment that genre fans are sure to appreciate. I look forward to seeing the continuation of these events in next year's The Avengers.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 98

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 78

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Thor 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.9 Mbps.

This film wasn't shot natively in 3D but was converted in post production for theatrical release. The action based segments were largely shot against green screens and the reproduction of the digital effects and wide angle background elements is quite good. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by separation of objects and/or people layered in the foreground/background which creates a discerning sense of virtual space. Dimensionality and apparent resolution is rarely questionable in close ups and brightly lit exterior sequences (of which there are few) but it doesn't hold up nearly as well in low level scenes (which isn't a problem in the 2D version). There is a distinct lack of 3D effects that transcend the boundaries of the screen which makes for a somewhat less involving experience especially for an action oriented film of this type. I occasionally noticed crosstalk and an instance of minor aliasing (visible on the tall golden tower in a wide angle shot of Asgard) but neither proved distracting. In terms of the reproduction of color and detail this 3D presentation mimics the 2D version. The end result is a satisfying but unremarkable 3D video presentation.

The 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack doesn't disappoint. This is a powerful mix that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated. Sound effects traverse the room during the action based sequences. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and resolute clarity. This is an aggressive mix that makes regular use of the subwoofer to accentuate its already strong dynamics. The result is that all points of contact seem to resonate with tactile low bass impact. The quality of the bass is first rate as it is fills the room with clean, hard hitting, and deep resonating low frequency energy. Dialogue has excellent soundstage presence with clear, defining vocal character and discerning room penetration. This is a reference quality audio presentation that offers demonstration worthy material for those who like to show of their home theater systems.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 92

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=222079&d=1315491604

Thor comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps.

This is a superb looking and faithful Blu-ray presentation that delivers high level detail, razor sharpness and resolute definition that brings out the lifelike textures captured by the camera lens. Detail perception is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine rendering throughout. Colors are lavish and eye popping with oversaturated primaries and warm tonality that make them pleasing. Flesh tones are tonally natural with appreciable delineation among the varied complexional types in the cast. Spot on contrast and inky blacks enhance sequences containing mixed content (the exterior shots of Asgard look terrific). Shadow detail is discerning which adds depth to the film's variety of sequences shot in low lighting. On occasion the nature of the photography softens some shots but its effects are innate as fidelity appears unaffected. From what I could see there are no compression related video artifacts or noise present in this whistle clean high definition video transfer that looked superb on my big screen.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Thor 3D Blu-ray

• Disc 2: Thor 2D Blu-ray (including the following bonus material

• Audio commentary with Director Kenneth Branagh

• (HD) Marvel One-shot: The Consultant - 4 minute cinematic short

• (HD) Featurettes:

1. From Asgard to Earth - 19 minutes
    2. Our fearless leader - 3 minutes
    3. Assembling the troupe
    4. Hammer time
    5. Creating Laufey
    6. Music of the Gods
    7. A conversation

• (HD) Road to The Avengers - 3 minute glimpse

• (HD) 11 deleted scenes with optional director commentary

• (HD) Trailers - Teaser, Theatrical, Avengers animated trailer

• Disc 3:

• Bonus DVD/Digital Copy of Thor

Final Thoughts:

Thor is a big budget superhero adventure/drama that dazzles with top notch special effects and a well rounded storyline. It doesn't have the infectious charm of Iron man or the guns blazing action of The Hulk but it's a great popcorn flick that adds another supporting brick in the wall to the Marvel film franchise. It thunders onto Blu-ray in a Limited Edition three Disc set that includes 3D/2D Blu-ray/DVD (the subject of this review) and a standard Blu-ray/DVD combo set. It features resplendent high definition video quality and bombastic 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio sound. I wasn't blown away by the 3D presentation which is lacking in the kind of involving dimensionality/effects that take full advantage of the format but it adds an enjoyable element nonetheless. The bonus features offer an entertaining look behind the scenes as well as a glimpse at what is yet to come in the upcoming Marvel film The Avengers. The decision to go with the 3D release will depend on how important that is to you but either way Thor makes for a great addition to your Blu-ray library. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
JVC PK-AG1 3D Glasses
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Thanks, Ralph. Nice audio score too.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #3 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Ralph, how do you think it would be for my kids to see(7 and 5)? Some of these PG-13 are ok for kids because it just got that rating for fight scenes. Is there any really bad language or inappropriate sexual scenes? For reference I view Iron Man as borderline, some parts I won't let them watch.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #4 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post
Ralph, how do you think it would be for my kids to see(7 and 5)? Some of these PG-13 are ok for kids because it just got that rating for fight scenes. Is there any really bad language or inappropriate sexual scenes? For reference I view Iron Man as borderline, some parts I won't let them watch.
Greetings,

No inappropriate sexuality/language. Just action based violence.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks for the review, Ralph. I felt that, with Branagh in the director's chair, Thor would be a worthwhile watch and maybe even a purchase. I like the cast, too.
post #6 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Thanks, Ralph. I had this as a pre-order but cancelled it. Think I'll rent first and then decide.

Bob

post #7 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It appears based on this review that the 3D may be a waste of $$. I'll probably go with the regular BD/DVD combo.
post #8 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 201
You had me going there for a second when I saw the 88 average score.

Great review sounds like this will be a killer home preseentation. I have noticed in better audio movie tracs they will mix the lfe to complement the surrounds. Literally sounds like there is a sub in the surrounds. VERY cool effect and I wonder if this is what "The result is that all points of contact seem to resonate with tactile low bass impact" is refferring to?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #9 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Thanks Ralph, great review. I'm on the fence about getting the 3D version, may just go with the 2D. I haven't seen any great prices advertised yet for the 3D deluxe.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #10 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thor just didn't do it for me. there were parts I enjoyed...but I hate his Super Friends, and the ending was just a confusing mess. I did enjoy most of the Earth stuff though.
post #11 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I saw Thor in 3D and it didn't look very good, so I'm glad the 2D presentation got a 92!. This cinches it for me along with the audio, which I had a feeling would rock on Blu. I gotta place right next to Iron Man for this one. Thanks for the bulls-eye review.
post #12 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 75
IMO, you can't legitimately deduct points off of the video score for "ghosting" problems. These are not the fault of the transfer, but rather a problem of the display device and/or 3D glasses. The ghosting problems for 2012 projectors should be significantly less than for equipment from 2011.
post #13 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

IMO, you can't legitimately deduct points off of the video score for "ghosting" problems. These are not the fault of the transfer, but rather a problem of the display device and/or 3D glasses. The ghosting problems for 2012 projectors should be significantly less than for equipment from 2011.

Man, I get tired of hearing this nonsense. Some movies have ghosting and some don't. If ghosting were merely the fault of the display, this inconsistency wouldn't be happening. The end.

Back to the review. Glad to hear it has an epic audio mix and in 7.1 to boot. Think I will give it buy actually, albeit only the 2d version.
post #14 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Man, I get tired of hearing this nonsense. Some movies have ghosting and some don't. If ghosting were merely the fault of the display, this inconsistency wouldn't be happening. The end.

Back to the review. Glad to hear it has an epic audio mix and in 7.1 to boot. Think I will give it buy actually, albeit only the 2d version.

But depending on the display some movies ghost more or less, sometimes significantly so. It's not the only factor, but it's a big one.

Thanks for the review, they're proving to be a reliable buying guide. Having said as much, I'm looking forward to the release. Already have a small group coming over for a showing. Let's hope Thor is enough to convert a couple of them.
post #15 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Plan to buy this in the beginning, and this review just help me nail my decision to do a 2D combo only. Amazon is selling the 3D version for about $8 more only... so...
post #16 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Greetings,

I didn't deduct any points for it. It is not one of my rating parameters. I merely mention it as an observation for viewers reference.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #17 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I too was surprised at the 88 score... but now see it was weighted down by the 3D lower score.

Just a thought... but for the 3D movies like these that can be viewed in 2D... would it be worth giving two averaged scores? One for the 3D and the other for the 2D?

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #18 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

I, too, was a big Thor fan when I was younger. He was really the first superhero I followed. I seen the Thor movie in 2D at the theaters and enjoyed it a lot. Thought it was very well done and gave a basic understanding of who Thor was. I'm happy to see the Blu-Ray scored so good and am thrilled that the soundtrack is in 7.1. Definitely a must have for my collection. Thanks for reviewing it.
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #19 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Certain movies are worth watching in 3D and others not. This is definitely not one of them.

As most of the members here already said i think i'm going to pass on the 3D version as it doesn't sound like it's worth it.

Great review though.

I thought the Avengers 2012 teaser at the very very very ending was ok. Need more action!
post #20 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Thanks Ralph,

On that rating, it's a must buy for me!

Nice Stuff!
post #21 of 77 Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks a lot as always for the detailed review Ralph. This one goes in the basket along with Captain America: The First Avenger!

Marvel have done really well with their movies. Only Hulk has faltered so far. DC Comics on the other hand has just not got it right till now except Nolan's Batman movies IMO.
post #22 of 77 Old 09-09-2011, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The thing that bugs me the most is the little town there in, it at no point feels like anything other than a cheap movie set.
post #23 of 77 Old 09-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Watch any of your ghost heavy movies on a DLP and report back........you will be surprised. I was. DejaVu is right. Ghosting is a display issue. Why are all the Lcos/reflective LCD manufactures touting "reduced crosstalk" if ghosting is not a display issue? Why are people who have owned multiple displays (check out some of Zombie10k's posts) including DLP ONLY seeing ghosting with any non-DLP display? Because ghosting is a display issue. DLP is the only tech fast enough to give ghost free images at this point in time, period. I own a RS40 Lcos projector by the way, so I dont have a DLP horse in this game or anything, but I have seen DLPs in action with 3d and they are currently champ.

Great review Ralph. I thought this was a really corny movie, but will give it a rent to check out the audio which sounds impressive!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #24 of 77 Old 09-09-2011, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post
The thing that bugs me the most is the little town there in, it at no point feels like anything other than a cheap movie set.
Greetings,

I agree. There is one especially noticeable wide angle (elevated) camera shot that makes it obvious.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #25 of 77 Old 09-09-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Watch any of your ghost heavy movies on a DLP and report back........you will be surprised. I was. DejaVu is right. Ghosting is a display issue. Why are all the Lcos/reflective LCD manufactures touting "reduced crosstalk" if ghosting is not a display issue? Why are people who have owned multiple displays (check out some of Zombie10k's posts) including DLP ONLY seeing ghosting with any non-DLP display? Because ghosting is a display issue. DLP is the only tech fast enough to give ghost free images at this point in time, period. I own a RS40 Lcos projector by the way, so I dont have a DLP horse in this game or anything, but I have seen DLPs in action with 3d and they are currently champ.

Great review Ralph. I thought this was a really corny movie, but will give it a rent to check out the audio which sounds impressive!

Thanks Toe!
post #26 of 77 Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I saw Thor in 3D in an IMAX theater and, like Ralph when he saw the BD version of the film, found the 3D uninvolving. Curiously, I didn't think it sounded particularly good either, although I had seen Avatar in the same theater and thought it sounded great. I have been hoping that seeing the BD version of Thor in my home will provide a better experience than the IMAX theater viewing, both visually and aurally. Ralph's review encourages me to believe that this will be the case. I plan to get the Thor BD as an in store exchange at my neighborhood Blockbuster when it is released on 9/13.
post #27 of 77 Old 09-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Pre-ordered the Blu-Ray yesterday, along with the Blu-Ray IronMan (which I hadn't gotten yet) from Amazon.com. Used that special promo code. Can't wait to get it!!!

Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #28 of 77 Old 09-10-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

Pre-ordered the Blu-Ray yesterday, along with the Blu-Ray IronMan (which I hadn't gotten yet) from Amazon.com. Used that special promo code. Can't wait to get it!!!

If I may be permitted a brief digression, I should report that the Iron Man BD is one of the few I have bought for my still rather small collection. It is terrific. If the Thor BD even comes close to having the entertainment value of Iron Man, I'll be a happy, happy camper.
post #29 of 77 Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

.... Used that special promo code. Can't wait to get it!!!

Ghpr13

Great movie. Saw it in 3d in theater. But will get the BD 2D disc.

Promo code? Where to obtain?
post #30 of 77 Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched this on a 3D 720p DLP last night. I thought the 3D presentation was very good -- especially for a conversion. No "ghosting" nice solid presentation. Dark scenes were pretty good and the 3D held up well. I use a 2.8 gain HP screen so anyone with a similar set up should check this one out.

I thoght this was one of the better "comic book" movies I've seen. I'm not a bifg fan, but I enjpoyed this one.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Thor Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page